BIG fan here: let's keep hope alive | Page 8 | The Boneyard

BIG fan here: let's keep hope alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
RU buries UConn even in FF County? That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time. Based on that one would think the RU supporters would be sending their kids in big numbers. Here are the last three years at Greenwich HS:

2013 UConn 53 RU 1
2012 UConn 51 RU 1
2011 UConn 41 RU 1

It doesn't get better for RU if you add in the private schools.
Where the hell did you dig that crapola up? I guess its something I was arguing with the 3 musketeers about over a year ago after they wanted to throw me off the board? You're classless digging up something so out of context now that I barely remember it? If you're trying to make me look bad your failing....I put most of those sour guys in the rearview mirror(ignore)andI don't even know how or if FF county is seperated intheNY/NJ metro?I remember seeing Matt Sugram had more RU twitter followers on his SNY page but for what sport I don't know now or even care? Lets just concentrate on getting UConn into the P5...my god how hard u must have dug to try and embarress me !?! Find a hobby.

Reaction Score
Actually Nicky, about half the current roster has been drafted by the NHL.

Listen, I'm a person who believes in potential & therefore Rutgers got my approval when the BIG expanded - I did similar posts on Rutgers behalf over the years, got the same crap from certain BIG traditionalists. I see Wisconsin's rise in football, KSU under Snyder, the recent surge of Oregon and Lville as examples of programs w/o rich in-state talent that can succeed. You guys were doing fine and often making noise with Schiano. Md, regretfully, got rid of the Fridge when he was kicking some serious behind in the ACC. Horrendous coaching changes, or egomaniacs can kill a program's momentum. We've been down this path at Minnesota before - Lou Holtz, Lou Holtz. Minnesota has also made huge mistakes with the basketball program, esp when momentum was there to firmly maintain tradition. But I lost hope early on as the basketball program repeatedly fumbled opportunities at reaching success. Thank God for Magic Johnson and MSU, at least in my basketball world, but after that first NC in 79, plenty of hard times in East Lansing.

I'm just thoroughly disappointed by the way your school has handled a number of PR nightmares the past couple of years. You are as well.

You guys are in, why not UConn? Together, both schools can do more to capture NYC than just one or the other & certainly any ACC combo. I also noticed that Rutgers basketball got better as the season progressed - you have great coach in the making & once he keeps more of your 4-5 star talent, watch out.

Hockey and Volleyball actually move the needle here, both have great attendance numbers, as well as our wrestling program. The men's hockey program always sells out - that's 10 thousand a game. It's a revenue earning sport. Women's Volleyball has really grown in the BIG, attendance wise & it's a damn exciting game to watch. Although PSU has dominated the biggest stage, other BIG programs like Minnesota get to the last four and Neb will inevitably battle PSU for BIG supremacy and NC success.

Good luck with your BIG entry.

As for NE elitism, well Jersey folks are part of this equation - you can't argue that point. Maybe less so than Mass or CT natives, NY as well, but nonetheless, y'all are part this attitude & plenty of BIG fans feel overly proud of their institutions, in large part because the conference is so old and entrenched with tradition - old money does that, and there's plenty of it.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have opted for a small liberal arts college for undergraduate school, which is precisely why my daughter is going down this path - 40 to 50 grand a year aside : ). Big state schools are excellent for graduate programs, at least in my world of IQ - I was never a fan of huge classes, nor the city like feel of Madison or Minneapolis. But the greater community of schools like this is worthwhile
Fridgeon is now RU's OC and wanted to come last year but family obligation's held it off.I hope he can figure it out?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uh, he's a B1G alum and fan, not UConn. And he wasn't attacking you.
Haha nothing gets by you upstater...it was really beside the point though...I was responding more to the content than the poster. Your always a blast.

Reaction Score
Haha nothing gets by you upstater...it was really beside the point though...I was responding more to the content than the poster. Your always a blast.

Holy threads of the Walking Dead, Batman! June 20th!

Reaction Score
Where the hell did you dig that crapola up? I guess its something I was arguing with the 3 musketeers about over a year ago after they wanted to throw me off the board? You're classless digging up something so out of context now that I barely remember it? If you're trying to make me look bad your failing....I put most of those sour guys in the rearview mirror(ignore)andI don't even know how or if FF county is seperated intheNY/NJ metro?I remember seeing Matt Sugram had more RU twitter followers on his SNY page but for what sport I don't know now or even care? Lets just concentrate on getting UConn into the P5...my god how hard u must have dug to try and embarress me !?! Find a hobby.

There's no need to try and make you look bad - you do that on your own with absurd comments about greater support for Rutgers in Fairfield County than for UConn. That "crapola" as you called it, came from the website for your purported local school district (https://www.greenwichschools.org/page.cfm?p=10044). I travel all over Fairfield County virtually every day and I'll see literally dozens of UConn stickers and if I see one "block R" it's generally because my neighbor's daughter, who lives in NJ and went to RU, is visiting.

You claim to also live in NY's Capital District and are seeing block R's everywhere. I grew up between Albany and Schenectady and visit there once or twice a month to check on my father. I actually did see a block R a few weeks ago and remembered it because it was the first time I'd seen one there in years. Then again, maybe to you that would be an indication of Rutgers exploding popularity.

Reaction Score
There's no need to try and make you look bad - you do that on your own with absurd comments about greater support for Rutgers in Fairfield County than for UConn. That "crapola" as you called it, came from the website for your purported local school district (https://www.greenwichschools.org/page.cfm?p=10044). I travel all over Fairfield County virtually every day and I'll see literally dozens of UConn stickers and if I see one "block R" it's generally because my neighbor's daughter, who lives in NJ and went to RU, is visiting.

You claim to also live in NY's Capital District and are seeing block R's everywhere. I grew up between Albany and Schenectady and visit there once or twice a month to check on my father. I actually did see a block R a few weeks ago and remembered it because it was the first time I'd seen one there in years. Then again, maybe to you that would be an indication of Rutgers exploding popularity.
Colonie?Cohoes?I'm around Clifton Park and Niskayuna recently...wifes from Malta.btw,I hope you're dad's well as I'm on an alert at the moment here on my wifes mom!! Good luck and great you're there for him. No biggie about simple sports in the greater context.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Colonie?Cohoes?I'm around Clifton Park and Niskayuna recently...wifes from Malta.btw,I hope you're dad's well as I'm on an alert at the moment here on my wifes mom!! Good luck and great you're there for him. No biggie about simple sports in the greater context.

Random question, I am going to Albany this weekend for a friend's 40th shindig. What's a good sports bar to go to watch the game? I am staying near Crossgates.

Reaction Score
Crossgates is in Guilderland, which is the town where I grew up. The easiest choice for sports bars are the Recovery Grills - a small local chain. The food is mediocre, but they have a lot of TVs and multiple locations. There's one in Guilder land at 20 Mall and another in Albany across from Albany Med (also Colonie, Troy, etc.).

If you want more of a student hangout that's close by, Across the Street Pub is on Western Avenue (Route 20) opposite SUNY Albany. I haven't been there in years but it used to have decent pub food.

Reaction Score
Random question, I am going to Albany this weekend for a friend's 40th shindig. What's a good sports bar to go to watch the game? I am staying near Crossgates.
There's a Dinasaur BBQ in nearby Troy. I've only been on the way back from Vermont trips with my family, but I'd think that's a good place to watch.

Reaction Score
Crossgates is in Guilderland, which is the town where I grew up. The easiest choice for sports bars are the Recovery Grills - a small local chain. The food is mediocre, but they have a lot of TVs and multiple locations. There's one in Guilder land at 20 Mall and another in Albany across from Albany Med (also Colonie, Troy, etc.).

If you want more of a student hangout that's close by, Across the Street Pub is on Western Avenue (Route 20) opposite SUNY Albany. I haven't been there in years but it used to have decent pub food.

Thanks. Though, not sure the wife wants me hanging in a college bar :cool:

Reaction Score
There's a Dinosaur BBQ in nearby Troy. I've only been on the way back from Vermont trips with my family, but I'd think that's a good place to watch.

Thanks, though Troy is off-limits for me. Bad memories as I once dated a girl who went to Russell Sage. Through, I did catch a UConn hockey game at RPI once (without her), that was fun.

Reaction Score
I'll look into it for you as I havent been in a bar in 24 years after having alcohol problems in my youth and let you know where to go that's good! I'll tip you off by sometime tomorrow evening! I have some friends who frequent the local establishments. There might be one right at crossgate's? I used to work out there. I used to like the Lark St area and Central Ave bars.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There's a Dinasaur BBQ in nearby Troy. I've only been on the way back from Vermont trips with my family, but I'd think that's a good place to watch.

What about that German beer place in the old firehouse? That place seems like a good place to party.

ADD: http://www.wolffsbiergarten.com/

Reaction Score
What a win for UConn.

Damn right, KEEPING HOPE ALIVE!

Basketball, both sexes, would sooooo elevate in the BIG with your membership.

Reaction Score
FYI, thanks on the notes for Albany. Actually did not go. My friend’s shinding was canned because both of his kids came down with the stomach bug last week. Just another sign that my gang is getting older and that we are all DOOMED.

I have the stomach bug today in the office; but, I don’t think it’s the bug floating around. More likely is related to the 6 (maybe 7?) shots I had last night in the city watching the game with several hundred friends and neighbors. My liver is DOOMED.

Reaction Score
Interesting info I saw another site. Kinda shows exactly what the B1G values on top of AAU status.

Gopher1968 wrote: http://www.uspto.gov/web/offic..._d_nsf_2012.htm

I have mentioned this many times but it looks like it needs repeating

Schools who are not among the top 50 to 65 in research expenditures will not be granted admittance to the Big 10 conference

Research expenditures is the "running scoarboard" that the Big 10 Presidents pay attention to the most, especially Michigan and Wisconsin. You can't get into the Big 10 without this good ranking...unless you are a Big Brand name in Football....such as Nebraska.

Some examples:

1. John Hopkins
2. Michigan
3. Wisconsin
13. Minnesota
15 Penn St
29. Northwestern
32 Purdue
35 Illiinois
37. Maryland
43 Iowa
44 Rutgers

Others

26. Georgia Tech
41 Virginia Tech - Fastest rising school since 2006
53 USF
63 Buffalo
81.Uconn
85. Nebraska

I just don't see Uconn becoming a Big 10 schools even with all of their much deserved success and respect.

Reaction Score
Interesting info I saw another site. Kinda shows exactly what the B1G values on top of AAU status.

I have mentioned this many times but it looks like it needs repeating

Schools who are not among the top 50 to 65 in research expenditures will not be granted admittance to the Big 10 conference

I just don't see Uconn becoming a Big 10 schools even with all of their much deserved success and respect.

In that case, 42) Cincinnati - WELCOME TO tB1G! (or not... sad for them that tOSU is blocking that move).

UConn's best hope with respect to the numbers game there is that Maryland was a very good get and Rutgers holds it own. So, 13 and 14 may have satisfied the research crowd enough to bring on the basketball king (and queen?), UConn. Although the hoops alone certainly wouldn't get it done, Connecticut (the State) looks to be funding UConn at a level that will be inching it closer to AAU-level every year. That could be enough depending on what the Presidents and Chancellors of the Big Ten think of UConn's effort in that area.

Reaction Score
What a win for UConn.

Damn right, KEEPING HOPE ALIVE!

Basketball, both s e xes, would sooooo elevate in the BIG with your membership.

"I like the way you think. I'll be watching you." (Sam Kinison from the movie "Back to School")

It's incredibly unfortunate, that when we had the stage to promote our football program headed to the Fiesta Bowl, that we dropped the ball so badly. That won't happen again, we just need to get back to winning - hopefully on track to that again, after the disaster that was an old and no longer functioning college football coach in Paul Pasqualoni. Very disappointing, for many people locally. I guess many of us should have listened to the Syracuse folks, but things run so deep b/w UCONN and Syracuse that the warnings were ignored basically, and we reached a level of sucktitude in division 1A that we had never really had before. That will get turned around. We have wins against the old ball coach's team in SEC bowl territory - destroyed them. We have beating Notre Dame in their house. We earned two co-conference championships in the Big EAst (and btw - the Big East had a winning conference in BCS bowls era - if you didn't know that)....the AAC is already 1-0. Our football can compete, and will compete with the Big10. In our worst year in 12 years, we had Michigan on the ropes. In 2010, who knows what happens in that fourth Q if the ball didn't get popped loose on the goal line on our way in.

As for basketball, the results speak for themselves.

As for hockey - we are competing in Hockey East starting next season. I assume you need no info on the recruiting around hockey and where the hot spots are, and where a school like UCONN can fit in there. We're on the road.

Question for you - is there any kind of arena seating requirements, standards etc. that the Big10 mandates for hockey?

Actually 2 questions - what's up with Minnesota football? The Marion the Barbarian and Maroney running tandem was damn good, and was similar to what we had for our couple years up to the Fiesta Bowl. It's been a few years since they were running though.

Reaction Score
"I like the way you think. I'll be watching you." (Sam Kinison from the movie "Back to School")

It's incredibly unfortunate, that when we had the stage to promote our football program headed to the Fiesta Bowl, that we dropped the ball so badly. That won't happen again, we just need to get back to winning - hopefully on track to that again, after the disaster that was an old and no longer functioning college football coach in Paul Pasqualoni. Very disappointing, for many people locally. I guess many of us should have listened to the Syracuse folks, but things run so deep b/w UCONN and Syracuse that the warnings were ignored basically, and we reached a level of sucktitude in division 1A that we had never really had before. That will get turned around. We have wins against the old ball coach's team in SEC bowl territory - destroyed them. We have beating Notre Dame in their house. We earned two co-conference championships in the Big EAst (and btw - the Big East had a winning conference in BCS bowls era - if you didn't know that)....the AAC is already 1-0. Our football can compete, and will compete with the Big10. In our worst year in 12 years, we had Michigan on the ropes. In 2010, who knows what happens in that fourth Q if the ball didn't get popped loose on the goal line on our way in.

As for basketball, the results speak for themselves.

As for hockey - we are competing in Hockey East starting next season. I assume you need no info on the recruiting around hockey and where the hot spots are, and where a school like UCONN can fit in there. We're on the road.

Question for you - is there any kind of arena seating requirements, standards etc. that the Big10 mandates for hockey?

Actually 2 questions - what's up with Minnesota football? The Marion the Barbarian and Maroney running tandem was damn good, and was similar to what we had for our couple years up to the Fiesta Bowl. It's been a few years since they were running though.

I think PSU's new digs, about 6000, is comfortably right. Hockey East is obviously a great conference, but it's pretty much dominated by BU & BC. Because the BIG is so new, Hockey East will capitalize on the changes to the BIG, as well as the new NCHC, where former WCHA foes North Dakota, Minn-Duluth, Denver, Colorado College, Saint Cloud State and Neb-Omaha left to form. Btw, the NCHC is going to be a scary conference & already we have to play North Dakota on Thursday for a berth in the NCG. Denver, ND, CC, and Minn Duluth = 17 NCs - all but CC have won a NC in the past decade.

I think Hockey East fans forget that the WCHA was the true boss of college hockey, though HE definitely rose to prominence the past 15 years - mainly BC. Btw, I like parity, so I don't mind seeing HE succeeding - growth is more important than singular, regionalized dominance. But the WCHA, not the current one which is a shell of its former self, dominated for so long & much of Michigan and Michigan State's success came during their WCHA years as well - they eventually left to form the CCHA & now the new BIG. Hockey clearly has little say in college sports. I couldn't imagine a league like the SEC folding because of football. The WCHA, factually speaking, won more NCs than any other conference that participates in the NCAA, regardless of sport - 36 National Championships, again 36 NCs. Perhaps BIG wrestling might be on the heels of shattering this record, in fact they may have done it this year now that PSU is rolling. Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Collegiate_Hockey_Association

Minnesota plays in Mariucci Arena - about 10 thousand - and sellouts are normal, which is partly why our hockey program can sustain itself & comfortably.

A great sign for UConn hockey is Yale winning it all last year - don't remind me - they upset Minnesota in the first round - OT. We were the no. 1 overall seed last year, this year as well. We're still alive this year. Hockey East will definitely prepare you for a potential BIG membership - great competition in that league - though again, BC and BU tend to dominate. But Maine sneaks through once in a while.

MN Football - they're on the right track with Kill & if not for his very distracting seizures, they might have won more games last year & the year before, esp bowl games against Syracuse & Texas Tech. Kill changed his routine for the Syracuse bowl game & decided to hit the sidelines, yet during our surge, second half of the season, he worked magic from the press box to avoid stress that may cause the seizures. I will always question his decision to abandon a plan that worked so well til this game.

Minnesota football is so frustrating, which leads to Mason. He may have been a great coach, but he started a pattern of meltdown bowl losses. Check this out:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_history_minnesota.html

That's just too many blown bowl games, in these specific games (2000, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2013) Minnesota coughed up last minute leads. Mason inevitably go the axe for all blown bowl games through 2006 & they were bona fide meltdowns. But he did provided crucial leadership towards the construction of TCF Stadium. And boy oh boy, Mason had Penn State's number & PSU fans love to pull the amnesia card here : ). Mason also had a winning record against SEC teams. I'll always appreciate his tenure. On the other hand, I don't see Minnesota ever becoming a national program again, but they can have solid seasons & do such with consistency. Wisky, Iowa, Neb, all nearby, house more fans & by substantial margins. These schools have simply invested more in football. The yesteryear success of Minnesota football was pre NFL. The Vikings took Gopher momentum, much like the Steelers did to Pitt. Minnesota is not an isolated campus, but quite urban. It's not a self-enclosed community - which is what you have in Storrs, right?

We preserve our place in the BIG via hockey, both sexes, volleyball, wrestling, and basketball draws consistent sell outs - 14-15 k a game. Williams Arena is quite a venue, a charming, loud antique that I hope you see someday because of conference rivalry. It helps that our other olympic sports @ Minnesota are consistently in the top 20, nationally, & we carried BIG baseball for many years, albeit consistent crashes in the baseball tourney.

Reaction Score
Holy crap. LOL. I just wanted to know if there was a seating requirement for arena's in the Big 10. It would have implications for UCONN in fantasy land conference shifting discussion. We have a pretty much brand new arena on campus but with comparably low seating arrangements, but also have the Hartford XL center nearby (where UCONN also plays basketball and has for a long time) that seats approx. 15k for hockey. It's an issue for us joining Hockey East. My comment on Hockey East was about recruiting territories. There are a lot of potential college hockey players in the northeast vicinity to recruit from.

edit: Please don't take my response the wrong way, I'm glad to see somebody like you writing the things you do with the depth you put into it. I'd love the opportunity to learn more about the Gophers and develop an athletic department rivalry with them, and Mich St, and Wisconsin......

Reaction Score
In that case, 42) Cincinnati - WELCOME TO tB1G! (or not... sad for them that tOSU is blocking that move).

UConn's best hope with respect to the numbers game there is that Maryland was a very good get and Rutgers holds it own. So, 13 and 14 may have satisfied the research crowd enough to bring on the basketball king (and queen?), UConn. Although the hoops alone certainly wouldn't get it done, Connecticut (the State) looks to be funding UConn at a level that will be inching it closer to AAU-level every year. That could be enough depending on what the Presidents and Chancellors of the Big Ten think of UConn's effort in that area.

Seaa Blue, aka Sea Blue,

That's precisely my point with BIG fans opposing a UConn addition. They're rising in the educational sphere & though research doesn't get you in the AAU alone, the state has excellent public education, k-12, as well as continued state investment. Transformative Organizational Culture, to use a buzz term, is quite typical in today's world of corporatism and for profit education & research. UConn has a high ceiling, albeit football will likely remain outside of power status, most years. But as long as they have winning seasons here and there, bowl appearances every few years, the other sports will keep them relevant, esp basketball, as well as further improvement in education.

People forget that success is earned and never static, though it can seem the way of the latter for some schools. We use words like: hope, improvement, potential, yet suggest none are possible when choosing an expansion candidate such as UConn. That's a bit hypocritical. If Oregon and Wisconsin have become consistent football powers, despite limited local talent, NW has become a women's lacrosse power, PSU a wrestling power, UConn a basketball power, then AAU status or football decency, on UConn's part, are quite doable. It's not like CT has Chicago Land or Indiana as a whole basketball talent - not even close - most recruiting cycles.

I tend to think many BIG fans fear UConn's basketball success and therefore shy from even better competition. That's so different than the way I look at things. Increased competition can make your conference opponents better & further prepare these conference members for national championship runs.

Bring it on!

Reaction Score
I think the AAU thing is odd. I'm 99.99% sure Nebraska wasn't AAU and they were added.

Reaction Score
Holy crap. I just wanted to know if there was a seating requirement for arena's in the Big 10. It would have implications for UCONN in fantasy land conference shifting discussion. We have a pretty much brand new arena on campus but with comparably low seating arrangements, but also have the Hartford XL center nearby (where UCONN also plays basketball and has for a long time) that seats approx. 15k for hockey. It's an issue for us joining Hockey East. My comment on Hockey East was about recruiting territories. There are a lot of potential college hockey players in the northeast vicinity to recruit from.

Sorry about that. I took yesterday and today off, usually do this every year for the final four. I'm really hoping to see UConn in the BIG & have written a lot about it, officially and on various boards as well. I don't get enough support from BIG fans - which I find annoying, esp their typical reasons.

Plenty of great recruiting grounds for UConn hockey in the Northeast, and a lot of HE schools do go to Canada. Mass or Minny schools, especially, have plenty of local talent & the whole state pride thing works well for those states.

UConn in the BIG may not draw interest from Northeast states at first, but a more national conference (BIG vs HE) and more tv sets could help recruiting pitches.

Reaction Score
I think the AAU thing is odd. I'm 99.99% sure Nebraska wasn't AAU and they were added.

They lost AAU status, post expansion. Their president went on records as saying "No BIG, had this decision been made during negotiations", but I don't agree. The BIG, understandably, has a thin complex with football right now.

AAU, btw, is incredibly overrated. I don't think I've ever put AAU on my resume & my degrees come from Wisky and Minny. It's filled with myth, some true, some false, which makes the power of "myth" partly interesting.

As Sea Blue stated, UConn does itself big favors by getting research numbers up, AAU or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom