BIG fan here: let's keep hope alive | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BIG fan here: let's keep hope alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No one watches any of it. That much is proven. Compare SNY's football for Rutgers and UConn to SNY's ratings for bball Just do it.

BB?RU plays MBB?Ha ha..your hilarious but tactless!

Reaction Score
No one watches any of it. That much is proven. Compare SNY's football for Rutgers and UConn to SNY's ratings for bball Just do it.

Now I see frankthetanks quandry!!Some of you guys are wearing blindfolds in your anxiety!Believe me a lot of RU fans are on your side and sypathetic to your plight but I see why others don't!!Sometimes a neutral observer is necessary to quantify offbase opinions!

Reaction Score
If you need the SNY link your not a fan!!

That's a dumb thing to say.

And a dumb way to say it.

Link to this metric of so-called followers (no doubt bogus).

Here's what I'm looking at:

UConn men's bball averages 5 rating in its DMA, women's bball a 5 rating average. Both get up to 8.5 top rating in big games (this isn't SNY but all channels).

Rutgers fball averages 1.0 football in its DMA. Men's and women's bball is off the map.

Rutgers DMA is 7m people, while UConn's is 1.3m. I couldn't find reverse numbers to make the comparison (i.e. couldn't find UConn in NYC and Rutgers in Ct.) I bet UConn's are higher in NYC than Rutgers' in Ct.

Regardless, when you add all bball and football together, UConn makes out.

This is why licensing and tier 3 rights yield $24.8m for UConn in revenue while Rutgers only makes $10m.

Reaction Score
W

UConn men's bball averages 5 rating in its DMA, women's bball a 5 rating average. Both get up to 8.5 top rating in big games (this isn't SNY but all channels).

Rutgers fball averages 1.0 football in its DMA. Men's and women's bball is off the map.

Rutgers DMA is 7m people, while UConn's is 1.3m. I couldn't find reverse numbers to make the comparison (i.e. couldn't find UConn in NYC and Rutgers in Ct.) I bet UConn's are higher in NYC than Rutgers' in Ct.

This is why licensing and tier 3 rights yield $24.8m for UConn in revenue while Rutgers only makes $10m.
WBB? No doubt UConn FB?not watched!

Reaction Score
Don't you get SNY alerts from Matt for all news UConn like all good RU,SU and UConn fans?The UConn following is so small they don't even advertise proudly the followers....RU has over 700 who want news INSTANTLY thru there station!DIEHARDS only!!My goodness you can't google SNY Matt Sugran?The links to all the schools they cover are there!

Reaction Score

I live in Cos Cob and the Capitol District in NY and I'm amazed at the block R's I see...its spreading!!It's in the very air!It's growing even as we BS ourselves now!!

Reaction Score

Its unreal that you guys tout SNY in every post but can't find it on its own web page?Matt Sugran has a page and following for all the "local" teams!RU,SU and "UConn"!Or did he take it off for lack of interest?

Reaction Score
Its unreal that you guys tout SNY in every post but can't find it on its own web page?Matt Sugran has a page and following for all the "local" teams!RU,SU and "UConn"!Or did he take it off for lack of interest?

Who can't find SNY's webpage? Are you brain damaged?

Reaction Score
I live in Cos Cob and the Capitol District in NY and I'm amazed at the block R's I see...its spreading!!It's in the very air!It's growing even as we BS ourselves now!!

Everyone is excited about Rutgers!!! Except people with TVs!!!!

Reaction Score
Don't you get SNY alerts from Matt for all news UConn like all good RU,SU and UConn fans?The UConn following is so small they don't even advertise proudly the followers....RU has over 700 who want news INSTANTLY thru there station!DIEHARDS only!!My goodness you can't google SNY Matt Sugran?The links to all the schools they cover are there!

Trying to figure out what your crazy hysterics mean, so this is what I did:

https://www.google.com/search?q=SNY...78,d.dmg&fp=82fdc25a886fd9a7&biw=1378&bih=664

No results.

Reaction Score
Here - just so that everyone's using the same data. This is from the Department of Education data that the USA Today database is based out of but also breaks out the two big revenue sports.

As expected UConn makes more money than Rutgers in men and womens B-ball but makes a lot less in FB related revenue. As upstater mentioned, UConn makes more in rights/licensing (this is in the Not Allocated by Gender/Sport line, although it also includes student fees and university support, so USA Today is a better indicator of that data since they do the additional calculations)

...that said, I have no idea where $8M in non-BBall women's revenue for Rutgers is coming from.

*Sorry about the poor formatting - the columns should've been men/womens/total

Rutgers Revenues for 2011-2012

Varsity Teams
Men's Teams
Women's Teams
Total
Basketball
$5,342,302
$3,923,045
$9,265,347
Football
$21,314,486
$21,314,486
Total Revenues of all Sports, Except Football and Basketball, Combined
$4,339,279
$8,117,308
$12,456,587
Total Revenues Men's and Women's Teams
$30,996,067
$12,040,353
$43,036,420
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport
$14,443,884
UConn Revenues for 2011-2012

Total Revenues by Team
Varsity Teams
Men's Teams
Women's Teams
Total
Basketball
$7,388,968
$4,704,571
$12,093,539
Football
$12,910,583
$12,910,583
Total Revenues of all Sports, Except Football and Basketball, Combined
$1,320,540
$375,331
$1,695,871
Total Revenues Men's and Women's Teams
$21,620,091
$5,079,902
$26,699,993
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport
$37,128,631

Reaction Score
We all know schools do revenue differently. I'm not even arguing football makes more than Rutgers football. The truth is, I don't know. I imagine it doesn't. But going sport to sport doesn't help either since some, like Ville, include donations by sport, others don't. I just stick to the bottom line: licensing and TV money. I can't imagine how that's corruptible.

Reaction Score
From a bottom line perspective, revenues from donations is no different from licensed goods so I don't agree with invalidity of the breakout.

That said, licensing may be the better metric for general fan base size but it's harder to make sure that you're completely comparing the same thing since a)Certain schools are locked into older deals despite licensing value for college sports having increased dramatically over the past decade and b)different schools offer different licensing rights.

For example, Rutger's last deal was made with Nelligan Sports Marketing back in 2003(and recently terminated) while UConn's was with IMG in 2008.

My guess is that UConn would probably generate more licensing sales than Rutgers even after the new deal is brokered but it'll probably be a lot closer than the current ~$10M gap.

Reaction Score
From a bottom line perspective, revenues from donations is no different from licensed goods so I don't agree with invalidity of the breakout.

That said, licensing may be the better metric for general fan base size but it's harder to make sure that you're completely comparing the same thing since a)Certain schools are locked into older deals despite licensing value for college sports having increased dramatically over the past decade and b)different schools offer different licensing rights.

For example, Rutger's last deal was made with Nelligan Sports Marketing back in 2003(and recently terminated) while UConn's was with IMG in 2008.

My guess is that UConn would probably generate more licensing sales than Rutgers even after the new deal is brokered but it'll probably be a lot closer than the current ~$10M gap.

You misunderstood me. I wrote that schools account for donations differently, some under the general fund, and others under individual sports.

UConn's deal with IMG is only worth $8m. It's separate from other deals with TV and radio and other forms of licensing.

pj

Reaction Score
Here - just so that everyone's using the same data. This is from the Department of Education data that the USA Today database is based out of but also breaks out the two big revenue sports.

As expected UConn makes more money than Rutgers ...

Fixed it for you.

Rutgers Revenues for 2011-2012​
Total Revenues Men's and Women's Teams: $43,036,420
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport: $14,443,884
GRAND TOTAL: $57,480,304
UConn Revenues for 2011-2012​
Total Revenues Men's and Women's Teams: $26,699,993
Not Allocated by Gender/Sport: $37,128,631
GRAND TOTAL: $ 63,828,624​
UConn allocates some money to "non allocated" that Rutgers allocates to teams. But the grand total numbers should be independent of accounting methods.​

Reaction Score
Fixed it for you.

UConn allocates some money to "non allocated" that Rutgers allocates to teams. But the grand total numbers should be independent of accounting methods.​

This is correct. On the other hand, Rutgers subsidizes sports with $30 million in money from the academic side, while UConn is at $10 million.

I can't emphasize this enough: 50% of the tix for Rutgers football are freebies.

Reaction Score
Fixed it for you.

UConn allocates some money to "non allocated" that Rutgers allocates to teams. But the grand total numbers should be independent of accounting methods.

I didn't think I was arguing otherwise, especially when I laid out all the numbers in the post.

As for the whole allocation thing, I have no idea if the accounting methods are different. The revenue differences are most likely the fact that Rutgers is more heavily subsidized than UConn as well generating less licensing money rather than how revenue for FB/BB is allocated.

I only posted those numbers because upstater was drawing a comparison between Rutgers FB and UConn BB, which is not a like for like comparison, especially with different DMAs.

Reaction Score
I only posted those numbers because upstater was drawing a comparison between Rutgers FB and UConn BB, which is not a like for like comparison, especially with different DMAs.

I never did any such thing.

Reaction Score
I liked your post Gfunk and see the value of inviting UConn to the B1G as well given the goals set forth by the conference.
I continue to question the wisdom of all that has happened with CR but, the fact of the matter is, the era of 10 school conferences in geographical proximity is over.
The B1G has made a decision to extend from its Midwestern roots to the East and become a bi regional conference with a national presence.

Big Ten Network strives for national reputation.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130618/BLOGS04/130619800

This requires more universities and markets and some of our fellow B1G mates have not accepted or endorsed this decision by the B1G.

I liked your post Dooley and your timeline of 3 to 5 years is an important one to remember.
I would think if further B1G expansion were to occur it would be desirable to announce it prior to these negotiations to use any new universities and markets as leverage.

One of the biggest tasks on the horizon will be the Big Ten's next TV contract. Delany said negotiations are scheduled to begin sometime in the 2015-16 academic year. Given the way rights fees have gone and the Big Ten's additional markets, the potential windfall for the conference in the next deal could be staggering.

"I'm as excited to be working in the Big Ten today as I was 10 years ago and 15 years ago," he said.

Besides, Delany has a lot of things to see through, including the addition of Maryland and Rutgers next season and his goal of creating a bigger East Coast presence for the Big Ten.

"With expansion, lacrosse and hockey, there are new things happening all the time," he said. "And I would expect over the next five years that there will be more new things. Technology continues to change rapidly, and I think the challenge of building the conference in another region is real, and it will be fun."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post...es-invigorate-big-ten-commissioner-jim-delany

I have engaged in speculation, not always sound, on this board and think instead I need to ask more questions.
The questions I would ask Jim Delany if given the opportunity and would like your perspective as well.
Is the addition of Maryland and Rutgers sufficient to accomplish your goal of building the conference in this East region? or
Are further East Coast universities needed to accomplish this goal? and
Who would those universities need to be in order to accomplish this goal?

Reaction Score
Obviously people on this board will say no to your first question.

In reality no one will know for sure until the Big Ten starts negotiating in a few years from now. Once the numbers are known, the question will be the incremental benefits of UConn (i.e. How much more of NYC Metro can UConn bring in vs having just Rutgers and are the revenues from UConn's Share of NYC + Conn. enough to at least keep per school payouts the same?) + a suitable #16 somewhere else.

Reaction Score
Taking the chance on UConn potential will be the biggest no-brainer in CR in 5 to 10 years.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits