Benedict has to address this mess | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Benedict has to address this mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ok. I guess you can buy Diaco out

Don't have quite enough to do that - it doesn't change the fact the market is up 80% since Herbst took over and doubling the endowment isn't a
reason to have a parade.

Reaction Score
Diaco is the kind of guy who bullies people into bets and then doesn't pay.
I fell for his energy when he first became our coach, quickly I had my doubts about him as a coach but gave it a wait and see approach until it became apparent he is a horrible coach. I still liked him as a person until I finally saw what this guy is all about this season. Not only do I think he's the worst coach in D1 but he's also a POS.

Reaction Score
I came off my best college basketball season ever... and had a brutal
college football season.
Whaler there is still some time to make a small run in CFB and recoup some of your losses

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler there is still some time to make a small run in CFB and recoup some of your losses

I made a small run thanks to Diaco.

I had a 6-0 day in the NFL today and have Kansas City so all is not lost!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Comparing Texas and Connecticut is utterly ridiculous
1. Size of the respective schools
2. The amount of money generated by the athletic departments - UT has its own tv network
3. The economy of the state- Malloy has killed this state, Texas is doing real nice

Do you think URI, UMass, UNH, UVM or UMaine could swallow $3.7 mill never mind $5mill?

None of those schools would have been stupid enough to put that large a buyout in the contract and agree to it.

Reaction Score
Comparing Texas and Connecticut is utterly ridiculous
1. Size of the respective schools
2. The amount of money generated by the athletic departments - UT has its own tv network
3. The economy of the state- Malloy has killed this state, Texas is doing real nice

Do you think URI, UMass, UNH, UVM or UMaine could swallow $3.7 mill never mind $5mill?

and again, we act as if this $5 million wasn't a self-freaking inflicted wound

Reaction Score
Athletic success is absolutely paramount to UConn's continued success, it's what got the school where it is today.

And out of the 38K applications they will get this year I bet about 3K of those kids care. Having a bad few years of football doesn't close a university.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
And out of the 38K applications they will get this year I bet about 3K of those kids care. Having a bad few years of football doesn't close a university.

They may not care, but a high athletic profile is likely one of the reasons they've heard about the school and checked it out, even if they don't care about sports.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No it hasn't.

June 2011 (end of FY)
$329 million

June 2016 (end of FY)
$376 million

Exactly! It quadrupled!

Shut up.

(Just kidding) ;)

Reaction Score
Getting back on topic, when will Benedict talk about what's going on? How can he stay quiet?

Thank you. Do most of you remember where this thread started before it degenerated into blasting Herbst, Geno , Manual etc? We are all unhappy, but lets stop lashing out at others. The fact is, we may not know who they are, but there enough highly successful UCONN graduates that buying our Diaco can be done.
Herbst was hired as an academic president. I don't know her personally, but it appears she is doing a good job of that. The reputation of UCONN in the eyes of potential employers has grown significantly. Hopefully she is smart enough to rely on her AD and others for guidance on athletics. As to the problem at hand, as I said in another thread, if you look at the decline in attendance and what is likely to be a slide in advertising revenues, I don't think UCONN can afford to keep Diaco on. The potential loss of revenue seems to outweigh the cost of a buyout,

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No it hasn't.

June 2011 (end of FY)
$329 million

June 2016 (end of FY)
$376 million

It these are the right numbers what in the world have they been doing? How is anyone connected to the investments employed?

Reaction Score
The fact is, we may not know who they are, but there enough highly successful UCONN graduates that buying our Diaco can be done.

Not sure what you are trying to say here?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It these are the right numbers what in the world have they been doing? How is anyone connected to the investments employed?

They all had large buyouts in their contracts...

...too soon?

Reaction Score
agreed it was a huge accomplishment
BUT if he wan't a Mich alum - would he have even gotten a sniff?
Given the sports world does not operate in a Storrs and Connecticut National Flag and White shaded prism, and based on Manuel's established professional success and extremely high respect in Ann Arbor followed by university sports-industry success and development with Buffalo and UConn alike, yes, highly likely. Clearly, Michigan looked at much more than just Manuel's alma mater.
You are kidding, right? At best he's a mediocre AD and arguably below average. He made no major transformations, and missed the boat on CR at a critical moment. So, how does a guy with short, nonimpactful ride at UConn and a previous run at a second rate nondescript university, make it to one of the premier AD positions in the country? What other factors could there be?

Reaction Score
They may not care, but a high athletic profile is likely one of the reasons they've heard about the school and checked it out, even if they don't care about sports.

Sure. But regardless of whatever temper tantrums we throw, the way UCONN is viewed by prospective students at large isn't swayed just because we aren't playing well. If we fire BD and hire Nick Saban we won't get noticibly more applicants.

Reaction Score

the S&P only accounts for the portion of the endowment's investment return which is invested in stocks

see 2015 UConn Foundation Endowment Report | UConn Foundation

"The portfolio’s sixth consecutive year of positive returns has resulted in a healthy 8.0% average yearly return during that period."

almost all are volunteers and highly successful investment professionals, Board of Directors | UConn Foundation

Investment Committee
Drew Figdor, Chair
George Aylward
Noha Carrington
Roger Felberbaum (non-voting)
Clint Gartin
Gary Gladstein (non-voting)
Sheldon Kasowitz (non-voting)
Doug Lawrence
Ben Michelson
Josh Newton
Joe Parsons