Benedict has to address this mess | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Benedict has to address this mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He went from Buffalo AD to Michigan AD in four years, pretty sure she was dead-on whether you like it or not.

LOL - no she wasn't.

She hired him for the wrong reason and Michigan hired him for the wrong reason.

Literally the entire UConn athletic program is burning to the ground - that Michigan only hires their own graduates is not a feather in Herbst's cap.

She is actually going to go down with the ship... and it's GOING TO BE GLORIOUS.

She can talk about lacrosse on her way out the door.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You're giving him credit for Ollie and Geno. . . . . . this is pure gold.

It is his responsibility to maintain a good working relationship with both. He did so.

If you think that's easy, ask them about Jeff Hathaway.

zls44

Reaction Score
She is actually going to go down with the ship... and it's GOING TO BE GLORIOUS.

The endowment has doubled under Herbst. Doubled.

Shut up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The endowment has doubled under Herbst. Doubled.

Shut up.

Yeah my 401k has quadrupled since 2007. Was pretty tough.... what with index funds and all.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
S&P 500 when Herbst came on board in December 2010: 1224
S&P 500 close November 25th: 2213

2213/1224 = 1.81.

Wow the endowment doubled under her watch.

We should have elected her President of the whole country!!!!!!

DOUBLED IS A TERRIBLE RESULT WHEN THE MARKET IS UP 80%.

Reaction Score
The Oregon AD statement regarding "we will meet and evaluate in the next few days" hasn't exactly resonated across the fan base or CFB. I'm pretty sure Oregon takes Football seriously.

I'm fine waiting more than 24 hours for a definative statement...
And consider that there's reason to give Helfrich another year, he averaged 11 wins his first three years and had his first bad year this year. Oregon can make that statement because 1) it's not blatantly obvious that Helfrich needs to be fired immediately, and 2) they have the money to pay his buyout if they do decide to do that. Neither of those two conditions are true for UConn. There's no consideration necessary whether Diaco deserves another year based on merit, he does not. We apparently do not have the money to pay his buyout if the decision to fire him is made.

That means a "we'll meet and evaluate" statement from Benedict is meaningless and would only infuriate the fanbase even more. What's there to meet with Diaco evaluate from a merit perspective? Diaco imploded this season in a way few coaches have ever done so and done irreparable harm to his reputation as a head coach. By all metrics, he should be fired. There's nothing to "evaluate" from a merit standpoint, therefore such a statement from DB wouldn't accomplish anything positive.

zls44

Reaction Score

2213/1224 = 1.81.

why did she kill your dog, anyway?

Reaction Score

2213/1224 = 1.81.

So I guess my alma mater BU should fire its president since our endowment has only risen 50-60% since the stock market crash. It's probably not relevant that he also navigated the endowment during that time period to minimize loss better than just about any president in the country. Dam, and here I thought he knew what he was doing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
why did she kill your dog, anyway?

She killed an entire athletic department - my dog was collateral damage. Are you upset that DOUBLING the endowment isn't all that hard when the market went up 80%?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So I guess my alma mater BU should fire its president since our endowment has only risen 50-60% since the stock market crash. It's probably not relevant that he also navigated the endowment during that time period to minimize loss better than just about any president in the country. Dam, and here I thought he knew what he was doing.

If the endowment at BU is only up 60% since 2007... yes, everyone involved should be fired that is almost impossible to pull off.

Reaction Score
And consider that there's reason to give Helfrich another year, he averaged 11 wins his first three years and had his first bad year this year. Oregon can make that statement because 1) it's not blatantly obvious that Helfrich needs to be fired immediately, and 2) they have the money to pay his buyout if they do decide to do that. Neither of those two conditions are true for UConn. There's no consideration necessary whether Diaco deserves another year based on merit, he does not. We apparently do not have the money to pay his buyout if the decision to fire him is made.

That means a "we'll meet and evaluate" statement from Benedict is meaningless and would only infuriate the fanbase even more. What's there to meet with Diaco evaluate from a merit perspective? Diaco imploded this season in a way few coaches have ever done so and done irreparable harm to his reputation as a head coach. By all metrics, he should be fired. There's nothing to "evaluate" from a merit standpoint, therefore such a statement from DB wouldn't accomplish anything positive.

Benedict was on WTIC Pre-Game Saturday w/ Bob Joyce and already said to that audience that he will sit w/ BD after the season as he has done with all coaches and evaluate how to improve the program because no one is happy with this season (paraphrase). Silence since then...

No statement is better than a half statement at this point which was the point of the comment.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Typical Northeastern elitist. Ever heard of the University of Texas, for starters? I can keep going.
Comparing Texas and Connecticut is utterly ridiculous
1. Size of the respective schools
2. The amount of money generated by the athletic departments - UT has its own tv network
3. The economy of the state- Malloy has killed this state, Texas is doing real nice

Do you think URI, UMass, UNH, UVM or UMaine could swallow $3.7 mill never mind $5mill?

Reaction Score
If the endowment at BU is only up 60% since 2007... yes, everyone involved should be fired that is almost impossible to pull off.
Welp, I guess Harvard and Yale should clean house too, they've had 7% and 5% growth since 2007 respectively. Your argument with regards to Herbst deserving no credit for UConn's endowment success is absurd.

Reaction Score
agreed it was a huge accomplishment
BUT if he wan't a Mich alum - would he have even gotten a sniff?
Given the sports world does not operate in a Storrs and Connecticut National Flag and White shaded prism, and based on Manuel's established professional success and extremely high respect in Ann Arbor followed by university sports-industry success and development with Buffalo and UConn alike, yes, highly likely. Clearly, Michigan looked at much more than just Manuel's alma mater.

Reaction Score
How has your portfolio done?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well like anyone who buys index funds since 2007 it's up 400%.
If you did that well on your bets you would have enough $$ to donate so Benedict could buy out Diaco's contract

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Welp, I guess Harvard and Yale should clean house too, they've had 7% and 5% growth since 2007 respectively. Your argument with regards to Herbst deserving no credit for UConn's endowment success is absurd.

You'll need a link to prove that they grew 5% or 7% since 2007. That's clearly impossible.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you did that well on your bets you would have enough $$ to donate so Benedict could buy out Diaco's contract

I came off my best college basketball season ever... and had a brutal
college football season.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Oh wait I should have realized you wanted to have a semantic debate about when the market cratered. Ok - it's 1/1/09 not during 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom