Benedict has to address this mess | The Boneyard

Benedict has to address this mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Benedict must address this mess, one way or the other. He cannot remain mute. If the decision is to keep him, he must acknowledge BD's failures and what specific steps are going to be taken to solve the problems. If he is to be canned (hoped for result), negotiate an early announcement and a 1/1/2017 official termination date. Bottom line - Benedict must speak on this.

Reaction Score
He must, but he won't. All this really shows me is that we have a very weak administration

Reaction Score
He must, but he won't. All this really shows me is that we have a very weak administration

Jez - I hope not. We need sturdy leadership from the BOT down and it is doubtful we have it.

Reaction Score
Benedict must address this mess, one way or the other. He cannot remain mute. If the decision is to keep him, he must acknowledge BD's failures and what specific steps are going to be taken to solve the problems. If he is to be canned (hoped for result), negotiate an early announcement and a 1/1/2017 official termination date. Bottom line - Benedict must speak on this.
I wonder if Mr Burton and other wealthy donors have a say in any of this. If not then god help us.

Reaction Score
I's really like to be a fly on the wall in Benedict's office as he & Diaco assess this dumpster fire. How Benedict navigates this pitfall will define his administration. These past seasons since Edsall left have been a blight on the reputation of UConn athletics. There is absolutely no reason for Husky Football to be dangling over the abyss, yet here we are.
What disturbs me most is the deceit perpetrated on the fan base by Diaco through the media. We can see with our own eyes the disaster on the field, yet Bobby D.. puts a utopian spin that the team is playing well. Maybe he just likes reprising Kevin Bacon's roll in Animal House, But we go to the RENT to see actual football.

Reaction Score
Fire Bob D today. Or start the pressure to let Benedict and/or Hurbst go. They need to hear from UConn fans and then act. They need to go if they ignore the fact Bob must be fired.

Reaction Score
I haven't read Diaco's contract and I have no intention of doing so. My guess is that if Benedict is going to cut him loose he needs to be careful how he goes about it in order to effect the lower buyout after Jan. 1. Silence may be a good thing in that regard.

That staff and team were completely disengaged yesterday. I have never seen such complete lack of regard for what was transpiring on the field. My hope is that the staff knows this gig us up and the whole lot of them are heading out the door with Diaco. That's my hope anyway.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Prior to yesterday's game I was convinced that on Monday Diaco would have a very long, very uncomfortable meeting with Benedict where the coach would be required to fully defend all parts of his philosophy, vision and plan on moving forward along with each of his assistants. The result would be the AD telling the coach to provide a list of names, the AD will do the same, be after reviewing both lists a plan on how to restaff the assistants will be devised.

Throughout yesterday's game my thought was the above would happen but instead of Monday, it would be first thing this morning and it would be far more uncomfortable than I initially thought.

After sleeping on this, I now believe Benedict has postponed that meeting as his priority now us to speak with whoever necessary (Suzie, BOT members) to determine what needs to be done and what can be done to end this thing, weighing this week vs the beginning of January and the meeting won't be scheduled until this is completed. Unfortunately, the result may be that we need to keep him and my initial above content (the Monday scenario) may be the content of that meeting.

Reaction Score
As my tailgate crew was watching yesterday's game, I commented that it looks like UConn refuses to fire Diaco to save money in the short term.
Here are some of the comments made in rebuttal.
"Saving Money? The Stadium is at most one-quarter full & if there is no change it will only be emptier in the future."
"It's really bad if Diaco is not fired as there is a great talent pool of coaches with better track records than his available."
"He's lost the players, they have mailed it in."

Reaction Score
Of course Benedict will address the Diaco situation, but he will do it when the decision is made or close to being made. He has not been at UConn long enough to have the political capital to make a quick decision on Diaco given the $5 million buyout. Unfortunately, I think he gets another year.

Reaction Score
If Diaco isn't fired I will never watch another UConn football game and any good will Herbst has built at UConn is lost forever.

Reaction Score
Diaco will be in the office today... my sense is he gets a visit. Today/tomorrow are critical days.

The other needed coaching move dominoes across CFB have started to fall... it will help get a lay of the depth of the available pool. My limited read of Dave Benedict's demeanor is he has a contingency list - time to see what realistic interest exists and cost.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
To who? You? The sub-10,000 fans who still care at this point?

Reaction Score
Prior to yesterday's game I was convinced that on Monday Diaco would have a very long, very uncomfortable meeting with Benedict where the coach would be required to fully defend all parts of his philosophy, vision and plan on moving forward along with each of his assistants. The result would be the AD telling the coach to provide a list of names, the AD will do the same, be after reviewing both lists a plan on how to restaff the assistants will be devised.

Throughout yesterday's game my thought was the above would happen but instead of Monday, it would be first thing this morning and it would be far more uncomfortable than I initially thought.

After sleeping on this, I now believe Benedict has postponed that meeting as his priority now us to speak with whoever necessary (Suzie, BOT members) to determine what needs to be done and what can be done to end this thing, weighing this week vs the beginning of January and the meeting won't be scheduled until this is completed. Unfortunately, the result may be that we need to keep him and my initial above content (the Monday scenario) may be the content of that meeting.
He needs to do something quick, my guess is the same as yours. First order of business will be a hastily called meeting of the BOT, with DB and SH present, as well as possibly Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma and Mr Burton. As this is not just hurting athletics at UCONN but the University as a whole. My guess is SH gets her wrist slapped at the meeting, DB keeps his job because none of this was his fault, and Warde Manual gets an on fire bag of dog crap on his front porch.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Benedict does not need to wait to speak.

"UConn Athletics is committed to the highest levels of excellence in all sports, especially football. The performance this season was clearly not up to this standard. We are evaluating all options to ensure that this issue is fixed quickly and permanently."

I'm sure if someone takes more than the minute that I did they can come up with a better statement. But tell the fans - today -you are serious about fixing it. We don't need to wait for decisions to be finalized to hear that.

Reaction Score
Benedict does not need to wait to speak.

"UConn Athletics is committed to the highest levels of excellence in all sports, especially football. The performance this season was clearly not up to this standard. We are evaluating all options to ensure that this issue is fixed quickly and permanently."

I'm sure if someone takes more than the minute that I did they can come up with a better statement. But tell the fans - today -you are serious about fixing it. We don't need to wait for decisions to be finalized to hear that.

Actually that is very close to what he said on the pre-game show to Bob Joyce around 1400 hrs .

Reaction Score
Actually that is very close to what he said on the pre-game show to Bob Joyce around 1400 hrs .
This is what he said on the post game show....

*G!DA*&#!H8SF&$##@GDONE*%##$%^&*!!*%#@NOW!!!

He was overheard saying something similar to Susan H on his cell, during a commercial.

Reaction Score
After sleeping on this, I now believe Benedict has postponed that meeting as his priority now us to speak with whoever necessary (Suzie, BOT members) to determine what needs to be done and what can be done to end this thing, weighing this week vs the beginning of January and the meeting won't be scheduled until this is completed. Unfortunately, the result may be that we need to keep him ...
You left out UConn attorney(s), but the above scenario should have been proactively in progress minimally prior to yesterday's latest Fiasco.

Reaction Score
Best way to address the situation...look to Youngstown State.

Reaction Score
If Diaco isn't fired I will never watch another UConn football game and any good will Herbst has built at UConn is lost forever.
Then you will never watch another UConn football game. The BOT and whoever else will not let Benedict pull the trigger because of the buyout.

Reaction Score
Best way to address the situation...look to Youngstown State.

Tressell doesn't need the money or aggravation to un-retire from coaching. He told the NYT this week that coaching was not in his future.

Reaction Score
Tressell doesn't need the money or aggravation to un-retire from coaching. He told the NYT this week that coaching was not in his future.
Bo Pellini is there also. I have feeling it won't be all hugs and kisses if the product sucks.

Just messing around, but I don't see any way forward with this coach. He looks lost and his rhetoric doesn't come close to matching what you see from the stands, on top of it all, he is still learning clock management and getting plays in on time.

He is almost the perfect storm of awful. He may get another year by default, but any reason for optimism is completely gone. Good luck filling the stadium with that cloud hanging over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom