Benedict has to address this mess | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Benedict has to address this mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't want them to say anything other than Bob Diaco will no longer be employed at this University. My point is whenever our administration is silent and we are told to trust the process our athletic programs are left in a worse position than before.
Yeah, I want them to say that too, but unless they are indeed firing him, they're not going to say that. I'm not saying trust the process, I'm saying you have to give them an opportunity to arrive at a possible conclusion to Diaco's tenure. $5 million for UConn is a large sum of money that they can't just pull out of their ass. You have no idea if they're negotiatng a structured payment over a period of time, whether they're contacting donors to fund the money, whether they're evaluating waiting until Jan 1 to buy him out then. In all of those scenarios, coming out and making any kind of non-committal statement would be meaningless and only harm the process. I get that all of us are angry at the state of the program and looking to be reassured that it'll be back in the right direction and also looking to place our anger on the feet of someone, but UConn not making a statement for 24 hours is anything but that. Diaco is under fire, it's obvious to everyone. By saying nothing, UConn is only reaffirming that he is indeed under fire.

These are the options of what UConn could come out and say today:
"He's coming back." Obviously bad.
"He's fired." They made the decision and have the $, which is 99.9% likely to not be the case at this time.
"We continue to evaluate the program and make sure they're successful." Accomplishes absolutely nothing, potentially tarnishes any potential negotiation with Diaco, and only furthers the gray area with the fanbase.

Reaction Score
I'll ask it again, what would you like DB or Herbst to come out and say? ESPECIALLY if there are some kind of negotiations going on between UConn and Diaco's reps, making a public statement would be a horrendous negotiating tactic.

The negotiations should have been underway in earnest after the BC game. It's 2016. No school serious about FBS football lets even a day go by like UConn is doing without complete radio silence.

Reaction Score
The negotiations should have been underway in earnest after the BC game. It's 2016. No school serious about FBS football lets even a day go by like UConn is doing without complete radio silence.
How do you know they weren't? You can only make the third statement if you have the ability to fire the coach. It's completely unknown whether UConn has the resources to make that move. Also, if you're going to wait until January 1 to make the move, there's not a whole lot you can say right now.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I want them to say that too, but unless they are indeed firing him, they're not going to say that. I'm not saying trust the process, I'm saying you have to give them an opportunity to arrive at a possible conclusion to Diaco's tenure. $5 million for UConn is a large sum of money that they can't just pull out of their ass. You have no idea if they're negotiatng a structured payment over a period of time, whether they're contacting donors to fund the money, whether they're evaluating waiting until Jan 1 to buy him out then. In all of those scenarios, coming out and making any kind of non-committal statement would be meaningless and only harm the process. I get that all of us are angry at the state of the program and looking to be reassured that it'll be back in the right direction and also looking to place our anger on the feet of someone, but UConn not making a statement for 24 hours is anything but that. Diaco is under fire, it's obvious to everyone. By saying nothing, UConn is only reaffirming that he is indeed under fire.

These are the options of what UConn could come out and say today:
"He's coming back." Obviously bad.
"He's fired." They made the decision and have the $, which is 99.9% likely to not be the case at this time.
"We continue to evaluate the program and make sure they're successful." Accomplishes absolutely nothing, potentially tarnishes any potential negotiation with Diaco, and only furthers the gray area with the fanbase.
We want the same thing but I've learned to know "silence" isn't exactly a good thing with this administration, I'm so tired of being burned as a fan. It's criminal they gave Disco an extension. The money is probably going to be hard to come up with but there is no alternative. Keeping him on another year is just delaying the inevitable and burying us deeper in a hole we can't get out of. We are fighting for the future existence of us as a relevant sports school. Get creative, do whatever it takes. . . . . .another year of this idiot and it's over for us. Some people don't seem to understand the gravity of the situation.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The money is probably going to be hard to come up with but there is no alternative.

If they don't have the money then they don't have the money. You can't just invent a scenario where it doesn't matter or the money exists.

Reaction Score
Herbst needs to be fired; she has overseen all the bad decisions and been paid huge sums for it.
Either that or she has to recognize that she doesn't have the experience and expertise to participate in UCONN sports- related decisions. She called Warde a "rock star" and obviously is oblivious to the terrible job Diaco has done over the last three years.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
He went from Buffalo AD to Michigan AD in four years, pretty sure she was dead-on whether you like it or not.
just not for us.

Plus I'm sure Harbaugh is going to listen to him or he'll have any impact or say on him. LOL

Reaction Score
He went from Buffalo AD to Michigan AD in four years, pretty sure she was dead-on whether you like it or not.
Please tell me you don't think Warde Manuel was a rock star here?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

He got a deal done with a MBB coach that was forced on him by the previous coach retiring at the worst possible time. That coach has shown the ability to become a good HC, in addition to winning a NC.

WBB remains dominant. Got an extension with Geno done easily.

FH took the step back up to being dominant. WSoc took the step back up to being a major national player.

Hockey went from nothing to a revenue-producing draw despite playing much tougher competition and having sub-par facility issues beyond his control.

Academics for MBB are much-improved and remain strong across the entire athletic department.

I wouldn't say "rock star", but if you think he did a bad job, you're bitter and nuts. He did a very good job here. That is beyond question based on the judgement of dozens of folks who are qualified to know.

But, you know, some folks on a message board.

Reaction Score
He got a deal done with a MBB coach that was forced on him by the previous coach retiring at the worst possible time. That coach has shown the ability to become a good HC, in addition to winning a NC.

WBB remains dominant. Got an extension with Geno done easily.

FH took the step back up to being dominant. WSoc took the step back up to being a major national player.

Hockey went from nothing to a revenue-producing draw despite playing much tougher competition and having sub-par facility issues beyond his control.

Academics for MBB are much-improved and remain strong across the entire athletic department.

I wouldn't say "rock star", but if you think he did a bad job, you're bitter and nuts. He did a very good job here. That is beyond question based on the judgement of dozens of folks who are qualified to know.

But, you know, some folks on a message board.
You're giving him credit for Ollie and Geno. . . . . . this is pure gold. You must have thought Hathaway was responsible for Calhoun and Geno's success as well. I'll give him credit for hockey and helping to clean up the APR mess. You fail to mention him keeping Pasqualoni too long, hiring Diaco and us being by far the best athletic school left out of the P5 under his watch. I don't blame you for omitting all of that, his UConn bio does as well. For a "rock star" who was brought in here for his football background, he was a pretty miserable football "rock star."

Reaction Score
Typical Northeastern elitist. Ever heard of the University of Texas, for starters? I can keep going.
Texas is the absolute worst athletic university (see their revenue vs results)

Reaction Score
Compared to the he replaced ..sure was! The man in 18 months raised enough money to start and complete the precious hoops practice facility that A a s hat Supreme Jeff Hathaway couldn't do in 10 years! Add to that cleaning up a AD that had no compliance staff that A s shat Supreme also decimated to save $$ and get himself a precarious bonus. He had his warts BUT he was by far and away MUCH better than was employed here! Oh yeah by the way Hathaway promised Hofstra his connections would get them into the A-10...guess what they are still chasing that invite!

Reaction Score
Compared to the he replaced ..sure was! The man in 18 months raised enough money to start and complete the precious hoops practice facility that A a s hat Supreme Jeff Hathaway couldn't do in 10 years! Add to that cleaning up a AD that had no compliance staff that A s shat Supreme also decimated to save $$ and get himself a precarious bonus. He had his warts BUT he was by far and away MUCH better than was employed here! Oh yeah by the way Hathaway promised Hofstra his connections would get them into the A-10...guess what they are still chasing that invite!
If we are comparing him to human waste of course he looks good.

C

Chief00

It's really funny seeing people with no background in university administration thinking that football coaching hires are the sole factor.

According to the people I talk to who worked for the university under both Austin and Hogan, Herbst is miles ahead of both.

You talk to the wrong people.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You talk to the wrong people.

I'm sorry the PC Police had to ruin your 1960s world where women stayed in the kitchen and weren't allowed to be university administrators, coaches who got busted soliciting prostitutes faced no penalty, and athletes caring about their academics was seen as a huge negative.

I talk to the people you lie through your teeth about still having access to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom