Benedict has to address this mess | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Benedict has to address this mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bo Pellini is there also .

Completely forgot about Pelini... poisoned by seeing JT's name thrown out in other thread. I wonder if his cat will get along w/ Jonathon.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Benedict is not in denial. He is just having a hard time measuring the strawberries.

Reaction Score
Benedict must address this mess, one way or the other. He cannot remain mute. If the decision is to keep him, he must acknowledge BD's failures and what specific steps are going to be taken to solve the problems. If he is to be canned (hoped for result), negotiate an early announcement and a 1/1/2017 official termination date. Bottom line - Benedict must speak on this.

They may have their hands tied if there is an attempt being made to negotiate a reduced buyout before January. In that case I don't want to hear from him until there is real news. The good news is there has not been a definitive statement on retaining him. That I definitely am NOT in a hurry to hear and indicates that there are some conversations taking place somewhere.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The president of a university is held accountable for a thousand other things than athletic success.

It's really funny seeing people with no background in university administration thinking that football coaching hires are the sole factor.

According to the people I talk to who worked for the university under both Austin and Hogan, Herbst is miles ahead of both.

Reaction Score
Benedict must address this mess, one way or the other. He cannot remain mute. If the decision is to keep him, he must acknowledge BD's failures and what specific steps are going to be taken to solve the problems. If he is to be canned (hoped for result), negotiate an early announcement and a 1/1/2017 official termination date. Bottom line - Benedict must speak on this.
I have heard that if he gets fired after the 1st, the payout drops to 3.7M, this may be why it is quiet. Silence is more deafening at times!

Reaction Score
Then you will never watch another UConn football game. The BOT and whoever else will not let Benedict pull the trigger because of the buyout.
If that's the case then we are small-time and deserve the position we are in. If our leadership is that small-time thinking, it's time to fold up the football program and put basketball back in the Big East. Never thought I would ever see this ineptitude from our leadership, Calhoun and Auriemma deserve so much better.

Reaction Score
It's really funny seeing people with no background in university administration thinking that football coaching hires are the sole factor.

According to the people I talk to who worked for the university under both Austin and Hogan, Herbst is miles ahead of both.
Besides the destruction of the football program, she has not controlled costs at UCONN. To the contrary, costs have spiraled out of control under her watch.

Reaction Score
The fact that it's 5 p.m. the Sunday after this disastrous season ended and Benedict and Herbst are both still silent says a lot about both of them, none of it good.

Reaction Score
The president of a university is held accountable for a thousand other things than athletic success.

Cute line but there's a lot of ex-presidents of schools, mostly south of the Mason-Dixon line, who would probably disagree strongly with that statement.

Reaction Score
The fact that it's 5 p.m. the Sunday after this disastrous season ended and Benedict and Herbst are both still silent says a lot about both of them, none of it good.
No, it actually is a good thing. It means they have not come out and given Diaco a vote of confidence or confirmed he'll return. Silence is anything but settling for Diaco's continued position here. If they're negotiating a way to fund the buyout, negotiating with his agent to find a way to structure the buyout, or otherwise evaluating potential options to fire him, what do you want them to come out and say publicly? Commenting on anything other than "he's fired" or "he's staying" would be ridiculous and even more of a disaster than the other two. Some people here need to really take a minute and step back to understand what the situation is here before going off and shooting from the hip at every person at UConn.

Reaction Score
Cute line but there's a lot of ex-presidents of schools, mostly south of the Mason-Dixon line, who would probably disagree strongly with that statement.
Yes, presidents of schools who are ranked in the triple digits academically, and for a reason. UConn is making its way to being an elite public school. Firing the president because you had a few bad football seasons is a great way to stop that progress.

Reaction Score
Yes, presidents of schools who are ranked in the triple digits academically, and for a reason. UConn is making its way to being an elite public school. Firing the president because you had a few bad football seasons is a great way to stop that progress.

Typical Northeastern elitist. Ever heard of the University of Texas, for starters? I can keep going.

Reaction Score
No, it actually is a good thing. It means they have not come out and given Diaco a vote of confidence or confirmed he'll return. Silence is anything but settling for Diaco's continued position here. If they're negotiating a way to fund the buyout, negotiating with his agent to find a way to structure the buyout, or otherwise evaluating potential options to fire him, what do you want them to come out and say publicly? Commenting on anything other than "he's fired" or "he's staying" would be ridiculous and even more of a disaster than the other two. Some people here need to really take a minute and step back to understand what the situation is here before going off and shooting from the hip at every person at UConn.
Silence has really worked out well for us the past several years. Smh

Reaction Score

You're 0-for-2. An FBS school that is serious about football would have had a statement ready today. It wasn't like yesterday was a surprise. Take a look around at all the other FBS schools who are changing coaches. UConn is an outlier when it comes to leaving what's left of the fan base hanging. Again, I point to Austin. Yes, I know it's mighty Texas and this is just 'lil 'ol UConn, but they do have some things in common.

Reaction Score
Silence has really worked out well for us the past several years. Smh
I'll ask it again, what would you like DB or Herbst to come out and say? ESPECIALLY if there are some kind of negotiations going on between UConn and Diaco's reps, making a public statement would be a horrendous negotiating tactic.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

I agree. Since reporters are now asking BD about his future, the administration would usually step up quickly and give him a vote of confidence by now. The fact they haven't means they aren't sure yet. I wouldn't be surprised if going into the Tulane game they figured he should get one more year. But the debacle that was yesterday may have forced them to reconsider. That could be why they are silent right now.

Even if the answer is that we are stuck with him another year, I am glad it at least feels like they are thinking through options.

Reaction Score
You're 0-for-2. An FBS school that is serious about football would have had a statement ready today. It wasn't like yesterday was a surprise. Take a look around at all the other FBS schools who are changing coaches. UConn is an outlier when it comes to leaving what's left of the fan base hanging. Again, I point to Austin. Yes, I know it's mighty Texas and this is just 'lil 'ol UConn, but they do have some things in common.
Take a drive up the road from Austin to Lubbock. They can't afford to pay Kingsbury's buyout and thus he's staying and their fanbase is beyond pissed.

Reaction Score
I'll ask it again, what would you like BD or Herbst to come out and say?
Don't want them to say anything other than Bob Diaco will no longer be employed at this University. My point is whenever our administration is silent and we are told to trust the process our athletic programs are left in a worse position than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom