Beer | Page 53 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Well, if we're going to have a beer thread, I'll play. It's about time we had a good thread on beer or girls or pizza. All the sports around here was getting to me.

A few beer facts:

1. Lobster beer doesn't taste like lobster, it's got a salty finish. I don't drink stuff with a salty finish--not that there's anything wrong with that.

2. Fruit beer is for sissies unless I'm drinking it.

3. Guinness is good if you like beer that isn't very good but used to be good before they cheapened the ingredients and invented strong beer that doesn't taste like someone spilled coffee in a glass of piss and Natural Light.

4. Budweiser is awful unless I give it to you in a glass and tell you it's Beaver Brook Mountain Creek Trail's new Feisty Blonde Chick. Then it is a delicious, refreshing take on the traditional American Pilsner that goes great with fish, chicken or when out in the sun.

5. Busch Light is good...well Busch Light is disgusting but if you like it, who am I to judge. Once you start making some real money you'll admit to yourself its gross.

6. Any beer made in East Windsor should taste like hair spray, cow poop and exhaust fumes. Sorry, I've just never been able to pin down East Windsor. Is it the skanky girl I picked up at Riverside that was from East Windsor, the really cute blonde that went to Suffield Academy and drove an Audi, the truck stop off 91, the strip bar, the dairy farm on a busy road just past a bunch of strip malls? Never seen a town with so little specific character. I don't think good beer when I think East Windsor, I think empty beer cans in the parking lot of the Dunkin Donuts on a Saturday morning.

Reaction Score
There's a new brewery opening in Ellington on Wednesday. They're having a grand opening at 4pm. Cold creek brewery they're called. I plan on checking it out. I *think* they're over by the airport/rice packaging area for those of you who know the area.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
There's a new brewery opening in Ellington on Wednesday. They're having a grand opening at 4pm. Cold creek brewery they're called. I plan on checking it out. I *think* they're over by the airport/rice packaging area for those of you who know the area.
Yup...they are. A short 11 minute ride from my house in SW.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Ok... Best CT-brewed beers?

I really like the new one from Stony Creek down in Branford (awesome brewery/bar btw) its called "Dock Time"- an easy drinkable beer. You can throw back a six pack easy and not feel full.

Of course I love Hooker Beer...

Also, check out Cottrell Brewing Co. out of Pawcatuck (that's the last little town before the RI border in Southeastern CT) their Mystic Bridge IPA is decent.

Reaction Score
Best CT beers that are still flying under the radar-
Beer'd in Stonington- Dogs & Boats, 8 days a week, Hobbit Juice & Whisker'd Wit are favorites
Steady Habit Brewing in Haddam- Method IPA (all mosaic) is their standout but all the beers are great
If you are an IPA fan stop chasing Sip of Sunshine and check out the local breweries that are putting out amazing IPA's but aren't getting the recognition yet solely due to distribution. Good news though is Beer'd is in the process of expanding so you will see them more often in restaurants soon.

Also have to mention another world class brewery just over the border in Monson, MA is Tree House. Everything they put out is great from the IPA's to their stouts. Well worth the trip just be prepared to wait if you want growlers. They are great about updating their website and twitter if you want updates on what is on tap and whats available in cans. Currently the #4 ranked beer in the world on beeradvocate Julius is on for cans and growlers today. After that make a quick 20 minute ride to BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge(BYOB) and you have a great afternoon.

Reaction Score
Got back a week ago from a trip to New Haven. Finally tried Sea Hag. I liked it quite a bit.
Had a beer from Stony Creek, was OK.
Went to Cask Republic in New Haven and had a Maine Beer Another 1 (Great!) and a Lawson's Super Session (pretty good) and the bartender told me of a local wine store that had Sip of Sunshine available right then.
So I grabbed the last 4 of SOS. It lives up to the hype. I liked it a lot.
Also bought Cambridge's Flower Child from the store, which was pretty good, but kinda overwhelming citrus.
Next day went to Coastal Wines in Branford and picked up some Kent Falls and Unibroue big bottles. The Kent Falls stuff was pretty good, the Unibroue even better.
So, we drove back to Buffalo and our favorite local bar had multiple kegs of this on tap:
11914011_924087817650416_4953224768901500319_n.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Got back a week ago from a trip to New Haven. Finally tried Sea Hag. I liked it quite a bit.
Had a beer from Stony Creek, was OK.
Went to Cask Republic in New Haven and had a Maine Beer Another 1 (Great!) and a Lawson's Super Session (pretty good) and the bartender told me of a local wine store that had Sip of Sunshine available right then.
So I grabbed the last 4 of SOS. It lives up to the hype. I liked it a lot.
Also bought Cambridge's Flower Child from the store, which was pretty good, but kinda overwhelming citrus.
Next day went to Coastal Wines in Branford and picked up some Kent Falls and Unibroue big bottles. The Kent Falls stuff was pretty good, the Unibroue even better.
So, we drove back to Buffalo and our favorite local bar had multiple kegs of this on tap:
11914011_924087817650416_4953224768901500319_n.jpg
Life is good!

I *think* I like Another One better than Lunch.

Kent Falls gets my vote for best new CT brewer.

Shaun Hill is still king imo.

If circumstances allow, PM me next time you're making the rounds in New Haven. I'd be happy to meet up for a beer or three if I can.

Reaction Score
Life is good!

If circumstances allow, PM me next time you're making the rounds in New Haven. I'd be happy to meet up for a beer or three if I can.

Will do. Usually I come back to see family in summer, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Life is good!

Yeah, rrrrrrright!

@August_West

Reaction Score
Life is good!

Totally agree about Kent Falls. Tried some of their stuff at the Ski Sundown brewfest in June. Very nice.

Reaction Score
Who can direct me to the page in this thread that talks about beers that are like blue moon (belguim wheat/white beers)? Here is my dilemma, got a Chimay beer at Costco and I think i reached Nirvana it was so good. So i'm going on vacation to the beach and i want to bring some Chimay and try other like beers while relaxing on the beach. Problem is i have to take cans. So can anyone recommend canned beers that might make me happy?

I think the best beer place around me is going to be a place called total wine http://www.totalwine.com/ I'm hoping they have a healthy selection of cans.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who can direct me to the page in this thread that talks about beers that are like blue moon (belguim wheat/white beers)? Here is my dilemma, got a Chimay beer at Costco and I think i reached Nirvana it was so good. So i'm going on vacation to the beach and i want to bring some Chimay and try other like beers while relaxing on the beach. Problem is i have to take cans. So can anyone recommend canned beers that might make me happy?

I think the best beer place around me is going to be a place called total wine http://www.totalwine.com/ I'm hoping they have a healthy selection of cans.

That is not an easy ask. No actual Belgian beer will be canned, so those are out. You can find Shock Top in giant cans, it is pretty similar to Blue Moon. You best bet if you can find it is Avery White Rascal, from Colorado. It is a very nice Wit beer, much better than Blue Moon. Leffe Blond you might like, but I doubt it is canned.

Which Chimay did you have? The Yellow label? The Blue is not at all like Blue Moon.

Reaction Score

The only Belgian I know of in a can is New England Brew's 668, but it's not that great. The best-known and consistent Belgian makers in North America are Ommegang and Unibroue, and they are in bottles. Can't think of any canned.

Reaction Score
That is not an easy ask. No actual Belgian beer will be canned, so those are out. You can find Shock Top in giant cans, it is pretty similar to Blue Moon. You best bet if you can find it is Avery White Rascal, from Colorado. It is a very nice Wit beer, much better than Blue Moon. Leffe Blond you might like, but I doubt it is canned.

Which Chimay did you have? The Yellow label? The Blue is not at all like Blue Moon.

Yea shock top doesnt have that extra kick that i like though, although I still like it alright, and I still like blue moon. This Chimay was the blue one i think. I say I think because when I look it up online the bottles are a bit different, but the label on the one from Costco was blue. Definitely not the same as a blue moon but similar taste (i'm guessing wheat? lol). I'd have to look at the bottle but the alcohol content is much higher too. I drank one of those big bottles and i was feeling it, and feeling pretty full (had it with dinner). Alagash can be had in cans too, but not sure what other options i have. I may just buy a couple bottles of Chimay blue and just keep them in the cooler and just take them out to pour into a cup.

EDIT:

This is the one

chimay-grande-reserve-ale.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yea shock top doesnt have that extra kick that i like though, although I still like it alright, and I still like blue moon. This Chimay was the blue one i think. I say I think because when I look it up online the bottles are a bit different, but the label on the one from Costco was blue. Definitely not the same as a blue moon but similar taste (i'm guessing wheat? lol). I'd have to look at the bottle but the alcohol content is much higher too. I drank one of those big bottles and i was feeling it, and feeling pretty full (had it with dinner). Alagash can be had in cans too, but not sure what other options i have. I may just buy a couple bottles of Chimay blue and just keep them in the cooler and just take them out to pour into a cup.

EDIT:

This is the one

chimay-grande-reserve-ale.jpg

Yes, this is the Yellow label. Chimay Blue and Chimay Red would be very different. Blue is the best of them in my opinion, but you might not like it.

Reaction Score

UFO white, Allagash White, and Hoeegarden. Best bet for cans is probably UFO but I believe Hoeegarden can be found as well. Allagash White is only bottles but definitely one to try if you haven't already.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Been meaning to mention www.beermenus.com. Great resource for seeing what is on tap at a growing number of places, as well as what is in the stores. You can put in your location and it will tell you what is nearby, what they are selling and when their list was last updated. You can also enter a specific beer and get a listing of the locations that report having it, including whether it's on tap, bottle, etc., as well as what they charge.

They also have an app that I just downloaded over the weekend and it seems to work pretty well. If you give it permission to use your location it will automatically pull up all the places nearest to you and let you know what they have.

Just in the past couple months that I've been using the website an increasing number of establishments are participating. It makes the hunt for good beer much easier.

Reaction Score
Yes, this is the Yellow label. Chimay Blue and Chimay Red would be very different. Blue is the best of them in my opinion, but you might not like it.

What is the blue like? I do IPAs and other types of beers too, but the wheats just have a special place on my tongue! I'll probably try it just to try it. Those beers arent cheap though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom