Beer | Page 54 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
UFO white, Allagash White, and Hoeegarden. Best bet for cans is probably UFO but I believe Hoeegarden can be found as well. Allagash White is only bottles but definitely one to try if you haven't already.

I've had Allagash white a few times. its become the pepsi alternative to coke at a lot of the local restaurants. Its ok, after having that Chimay (Yellow i guess), Allagash, Shock top, bluemoon, flat tire, they have all sort of lost their appeal to me. Its sad, i wish I could go back and undrink that Chimay... its all i want now. I will give the others a try though.

Thankfully the place i 'll be going have alot of cans i'm told, although they charge alot for them. And they have cigars, so its 1 stop shopping for me :)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So according to the link, its the blue. Confusing with the bottle with the yellow and blue.... Either way, i love it!

http://www.wiredforwine.com/featured-wine/chimay-grande-reserve-blue-label-ale

Well then you are barking up the wrong tree a bit. That's a Belgian strong dark ale (9% abv), it is indeed very very good, but nothing at all like a Blue Moon or any Wit beer really. I don't think it uses wheat at all. There are other dark Belgian/Trappist brews you might enjoy but (a) they aren't really beach beers and (b) I've not seen them in cans.

I can suggest alternatives to try in bottles (Rochefort Trappist 8 first), but would suggest either sticking with Wits, or blonde ales or IPAs (maybe session IPAs, Easy Jack is good) for beach purposes. If you get Sixpoint, their Sweet Action is a terrific beach beer in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Well then you are barking up the wrong tree a bit. That's a Belgian strong dark ale (9% abv), it is indeed very very good, but nothing at all like a Blue Moon or any Wit beer really. I don't think it uses wheat at all. There are other dark Belgian/Trappist brews you might enjoy but (a) they aren't really beach beers and (b) I've not seen them in cans.

I can suggest alternatives to try in bottles (Rochefort Trappist 8 first), but would suggest either sticking with Wits, or blonde ales or IPAs (maybe session IPAs, Easy Jack is good) for beach purposes. If you get Sixpoint, their Sweet Action is a terrific beach beer in my opinion.

Huh, so its not a wheat beer. Well then I need to learn what it is because i love that thing man. Guy at the store was talking it up and told me it was like blue moon which got my attention. YOu are right though doesnt taste much like blue moon but still very good.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Huh, so its not a wheat beer. Well then I need to learn what it is because i love that thing man. Guy at the store was talking it up and told me it was like blue moon which got my attention. YOu are right though doesnt taste much like blue moon but still very good.

No idea why he told you that. Trappist beers are unlike pretty much anything else out there.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No idea why he told you that. Trappist beers are unlike pretty much anything else out there.

Exactly. And even among Trappist beers there is quite a bit of variation. This beer, really is at least a tiny bit like a Blue Moon, though much better of course. I assumed that's what @UconnFanNVa had. Still, some shop keepers are clueless.

@UconnFanNVa you might like beers from Ommegang and Unibroue as well as the Belgians. Also, Spencer is a Trappist Ale made in Massachusetts. Experiment.

Reaction Score
Exactly. And even among Trappist beers there is quite a bit of variation. This beer, really is at least a tiny bit like a Blue Moon, though much better of course. I assumed that's what @UconnFanNVa had. Still, some shop keepers are clueless.

@UconnFanNVa you might like beers from Ommegang and Unibroue as well as the Belgians. Also, Spencer is a Trappist Ale made in Massachusetts. Experiment.

Yes sir I plan to experiment! Thanks for the education!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Kent Falls is absolutely killing it. Go get yourself some Super Sparkle IPA and celebrate the best new brewery in CT, quite possibly the best overall if they keep this up.

Fuzzy Baby what? This stuff is right there with it. And no lines...yet.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Kent Falls is absolutely killing it. Go get yourself some Super Sparkle IPA and celebrate the best new brewery in CT, quite possibly the best overall if they keep this up.

Haven't had it, or NEBCO, since I am in MA. I will say I liked Relic's Tropicale. Not earth shattering, but darned good.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Will have to take the trip up sometime soon, thanks for the tip.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Will have to take the trip up sometime soon, thanks for the tip.
The brewery itself is not open to the public yet; if you click on the link I posted they have listed the places throughout the state where they delivered it:

@ The Corner, Litchfield

Backstage, Torrington

Birch Hill Tavern, Glastonbury

Camille’s Pizza, Tolland

Cask Republic, New Haven

Christy’s Irish Pub, New Haven

Craft 260, Fairfield

Dew Drop Inn, Derby

Eli Cannon’s Tap Room, Middletown

Greenwood’s Grille and Ale House, Bethel

Mcladdens Irish Publick House, Simsbury

Mcladdens Irish Publick House, West Hartford

Mikro Beer Bar, Hamden

Parrot Delaney Tavern, New Hartford

Plan B, Glastonbury

Plan B, Milford

Prime 16, New Haven

Prime 16, Orange

The Corner Tavern, Naugatuck

The Gingerman, Greenwich

The Half Door, West Hartford

The Main Pub, Manchester

The Meetinghouse Pub, Bethel

Walrus + Carpenter, Fairfield

Westbrook Lobster, Wallingford

Widow Brown’s Cafe, Danbury

White Horse Country Pub, New Preston

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The brewery itself is not open to the public yet; if you click on the link I posted they have listed the places throughout the state where they delivered it:

@ The Corner, Litchfield

Backstage, Torrington

Camille’s Pizza, Tolland

Cask Republic, New Haven

Craft 260, Fairfield

Dew Drop Inn, Derby

Mikro Beer Bar, Hamden

Plan B, Glastonbury

Plan B, Milford

Prime 16, New Haven

Prime 16, Orange

The Gingerman, Greenwich

The Main Pub, Manchester

Thanks, I'll have to keep a lookout for it. I'm at work and their site is blocked for some reason; first brewing company site I haven't been able to visit here.

Reaction Score

@ The Corner, Litchfield

Backstage, Torrington

Camille’s Pizza, Tolland

Cask Republic, New Haven

Craft 260, Fairfield

Dew Drop Inn, Derby

Mikro Beer Bar, Hamden

Plan B, Glastonbury

Plan B, Milford

Prime 16, New Haven

Prime 16, Orange

The Gingerman, Greenwich

The Main Pub, Manchester

They actually have Kent Falls brews all the way up at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA.
My daughter just started school up there. I think I am going to love visiting her. :)

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Do they can or bottle their stuff yet, or is it just on tap at restaurants/bars?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They have bottled a few of their non-IPAs, including their wheat beer and saison/farmhouse beer iirc. As you will see when you are able to access the link, the Super Sparkle was supposed to be their first canned IPA:

What can you do when you’re supposed to can the entire batch of a new IPA and you receive a phone call two nights before saying, “I’m sorry there are no cans.” The only thing you can (ugh)…

Keep calm (keg it up) and sparkle on.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They actually have Kent Falls brews all the way up at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA.
My daughter just started school up there. I think I am going to love visiting her. :)
I think I am going to be asking you to debrief me about her college experience soon...

Reaction Score
Pssst.... They have Captian's Daughter at the new package store on Pratt Street downtown. You have to ask for it. They will only sell you two. A nice way to start off tonight's tailgate.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Cant go through the whole thread to see if this was mentioned, but Night Shift Brewery is fairly new out of Everett, MA. Starting to get some recognition and are ramping up production. Whirlpool is great stuff. http://www.nightshiftbrewing.com/

Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge carries them, but I think you are limited to 2 4-packs per person.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Cant go through the whole thread to see if this was mentioned, but Night Shift Brewery is fairly new out of Everett, MA. Starting to get some recognition and are ramping up production. Whirlpool is great stuff. http://www.nightshiftbrewing.com/

Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge carries them, but I think you are limited to 2 4-packs per person.
Don't think they've been mentioned here yet, but a good friend who is also a beer geek was on vacation in MA last week and just this morning dropped off a couple Whirlpools for me to try this weekend. He gave it high marks and I am looking forward to trying it. May not wait for the weekend...

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Don't think they've been mentioned here yet, but a good friend who is also a beer geek was on vacation in MA last week and just this morning dropped off a couple Whirlpools for me to try this weekend. He gave it high marks and I am looking forward to trying it. May not wait for the weekend...

It's great stuff and I heard the Trifecta is amazing too. My brother went to the brewery last weekend and had a great time. I need to get over there.

Enjoy the Whirlpool!

Reaction Score
Pssst.... They have Captian's Daughter at the new package store on Pratt Street downtown. You have to ask for it. They will only sell you two. A nice way to start off tonight's tailgate.
...and they have Sip of Sunshine. Hey beerfan, were you in there yesterday around 4:00? We may have been two ships passing in the night.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's great stuff and I heard the Trifecta is amazing too. My brother went to the brewery last weekend and had a great time. I need to get over there.

Enjoy the Whirlpool!
Thanks. He had actually intended to bring me the Santilli, their IPA, but apparently a house guest of his drank the ones he had saved for me, so he brought me the Whirlpool instead. He said they were both great, but apparently Santilli has been getting great press.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Thanks. He had actually intended to bring me the Santilli, their IPA, but apparently a house guest of his drank the ones he had saved for me, so he brought me the Whirlpool instead. He said they were both great, but apparently Santilli has been getting great press.

the Santilli is also very good. So far the only thing I didn't care for was their Oyster beer - Pearl, but that might just be a personal taste thing. They also have a beer brewed w/ Habenero Peppers called Viva Habanera. You get the habenero flavor but not too spicey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom