Batouly Camara to UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Batouly Camara to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are Abrlic and Sadiq officially transfers? They were JUCO graduates. I think Rita was at Mitchell College only one year, though, so I do consider her a transfer.

The original use of "transfer" was in reference to a student moving from 1 school to another and trying to transfer credits. To my knowledge any non-Frosh is considered a transfer.

Reaction Score
When a school that has won 4 consecutive NCs and supplies the top 3 WNBA picks and therefore is extremely selective about recruiting indicates any sort of indirect interest to a player who now has a proven college track record, that transfer player has to see it as an invitation.

Not necessarily. UConn and Kentucky were the finalists, so she knew then that they wanted her. She had visited UConn multiple times and her family knew the UConn coaches well. Only thing she needed to ask is if they were still interested. And Ct is pretty close to NY. easy match.

Reaction Score
at 21:00 (on the tape, not the game) Stevens scores over Stewie, and then follows with a fast break.
and then another highlight at 25:00 (on the tape) where she hits from way out.
Jeez, CocoHusky, thanks for reminding us of this. She's only a first semester freshman here, playing UConn at the XL, and yet shows such tools. Even her misses are nice. A real freak athlete.
And at 47-48 minute mark.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not necessarily. UConn and Kentucky were the finalists, so she knew then that they wanted her. She had visited UConn multiple times and her family knew the UConn coaches well. Only thing she needed to ask is if they were still interested. And Ct is pretty close to NY. easy match.
Can anyone confirm that Camara had a UCONN "offer" coming out of HS. The only post player in the 2015 class that had UCONN interest that I can recall is Kalani Brown-interest being a UCONN in home visit by Geno.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We really needed this blockbuster news here in the yard. After buzz about Stevens coming to UConn died down, it got real quiet around here. No new stories of any real substance. The yard was dead.
Then the Camara is coming to UConn announcement. Whoo hoo!! Fireworks every where. Everybody broke into their "happy dance". We really needed this. I'm still grinning. :D Yesterday was a good day!!

Reaction Score
Sonny come on man..... you don't think the coaching staff have done their homework on this. The players are also consulted on these things after the player spends some time with them. 'We' don't recruit anybody lol. 'We' didn't even know she was being considered until well into the process.

I know, I know it's unfortunate that the coaching staff doesn't include the fans in this process but it is what it is lol.

I hope Camara has unrealistic expectations for herself. Put her on the court with other players that have unrealistic expectations and 'team chemistry' will take care of itself.

I knew someone would take my post the wrong way. Compare your inane response to those of Coco, HuskyNan and others who actually tried to be helpful.

Reaction Score
Expenses, expenses, expenses! We can't afford to fix the Gampel roof and now we are going to have to pop for a longer bench! Oy veh!!
Don't they sit in chairs? (sorry to be so literal!)

Reaction Score
We really needed this blockbuster news here in the yard. After buzz about Stevens coming to UConn died down, it got real quiet around here. No new stories of any real substance. The yard was dead.
Then the Camara is coming to UConn announcement. Whoo hoo!! Fireworks every where. Everybody broke into their "happy dance". We really needed this. I'm still grinning. :D Yesterday was a good day!!
Right on man!!! Another streak of NC coming!!!

Reaction Score
I knew someone would take my post the wrong way. Compare your inane response to those of Coco, HuskyNan and others who actually tried to be helpful.

Lol I thought I was very helpful.....don't worry.

Oh the inanity!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
will BC wear jersey #1 at UConn?
Looks like she wore #32 at Blair. However Dangerfield wore #32 so she might have first dibs on that one. Geno didn't let DT wear #1 so I doubt he'll let Camara. But he's also never had 3 transfers on his team either. Times are a changing.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
@Kibitzer can we get a technical ruling on *this I'm not sure what @vowelguy is trying to tell me.

*[this] being could/couldn't care less.

@CocoHusky. Gladly. The best explanation of usage of "could care less" vs. "couldn't care less" is by Grammar Girl in QuickandDirtyTips.com (I hope I copied that accurately).

The GG traces the history of each and concludes that use of "could care less" actually conveys the exact opposite message from the one intended (i.e. "couldn't care less").

She cites my two most revered authorities on grammar and usage: Theodore Bernstein and William Safire. Dr. Bernstein was the prime authority of English Language Usage at the NY Times for many years. He was the author of "The Careful Writer," an indispensable and entertaining book in which he cajoles writers to express themselves better.

Bill Safire was best known for writing the weekly "On Language" column in the NY Times Magazine. (Nobody's perfect; he also wrote speeches for Spiro Agnew.:rolleyes:). I occasionally corresponded with him as a member of his GOTCHA! Gang.

The Grammar Girl cites Bernstein (1971) and Safire (1980) as disapproving of "could care less" when you meant the opposite. That's good enough for me.:)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looks like she wore #32 at Blair. However Dangerfield wore #32 so she might have first dibs on that one. Geno didn't let DT wear #1 so I doubt he'll let Camara. But he's also never had 3 transfers on his team either. Times are a changing.
Crystal Dangerfield supposedly will wear #5 like the last CD.

Reaction Score
In 2017 we are going to have more than 12 players on our roster. This may continue for several years.
Geno usually plays 7-8 players. The rest get garbage time. Is that going to change? Will we see some attrition by transfer?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In 2017 we are going to have more than 12 players on our roster. This may continue for several years.
Geno usually plays 7-8 players. The rest get garbage time. Is that going to change? Will we see some attrition by transfer?
Times are changing. Geno has now take 3 transfers in 2 years or so when historically he's taken very few. And typically the reason he only goes 6-8 players in big games is because those are the best players who can handle the other team in big games.

But UCONN is still after 2 kids from 2017 - Walker and Coombs. That would put us at a roster of 14 or 15 in 2 years. Way more kids than he usually has on the roster. But you never know on transfers. Again, historically, the only kids who have transferred out were mainly looking for more PT (Johnson, Engeln, Banks, Edwards). It's impossible to know what will happen in the future. But if we have a roster of 15 in 2017-2018, it's safe to say some kids may not want to wait their turn, or be happy with the PT they get. Time will tell...

Reaction Score
Isn't this one of many grey areas around NCAA rules? If a school finds indirect ways of expressing interest--as you say--that's certainly an invitation to the player to reach out and begin discussions. When a school that has won 4 consecutive NCs and supplies the top 3 WNBA picks and therefore is extremely selective about recruiting indicates any sort of indirect interest to a player who now has a proven college track record, that transfer player has to see it as an invitation.
I have no information, but I'd make a small wager that Andra Espinoza-Hunter was on the phone urging her former teammate to choose UConn.

T

TroyHouse66

Jor-g
<<To me every recruit/transfer is a new commit. It just takes longer for some to realize were (sic) they should/deserve to be.>>

I wouldn't term Batouly a transfer... more like a "fulfillment".
When Il Maestro is recruiting, he sees more than the ballplayer. He fits not only their game and their team potential in his assessment... He projects a sense of how they can evolve into complete, developed, human. (He's rarely proven wrong & strongly follows his instinct.) He is very adept at finding the right clay to form an artful project.

In days of yore, he locked onto the potential of one... Brittany Hunter... and even when other programs dismissed her as damaged goods and drains to their (personal) efforts....
Geno relied on HIS original assessment and projection. He welcomed her; he played her wisely; he fulfilled his projection, her potential, and our lives.
The Maestro observed, analyzed, and projected fulfilling Batouly with the same, finely-tuned instinct. It's just taken her a year longer to get "home". And now the process begins...
Zro-
If'n they don't fix the Gambel roof...
We'll definitely have Bats in our belfry...

Last edited by a moderator:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The first time I heard someone say that."He can take yours, etc"......was the old ball coach (not Steve Spurrier) Bum Phillips of the Houston Oilers back in the 70's.
I was a Bum Phillips fan, and a Houston Oilers fan back then. Their quarterback was Dan Pastorini. The Tyler Rose.Earl Campbell arrived in 1978, then things really got going.

You have given me nostalgia pangs. I grew up in Houston, and some of my earliest sports memories are from the "Luv Ya Blue" era. <Sigh>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom