Batouly Camara to UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Batouly Camara to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Newbies involved in 1st Summer session arrive May 28th. At a minimum that is Crystal, Kyla, Molly.
Are you sure they are done with high school? I would be surprised if a kid from Mass like Molly were done.

Reaction Score
One thing we know for sure is that she contacted UConn FIRST.

Semantics I would guess.

I would bet if programs are interested they often reach out to an affiliate -- eg, the player's former HS or AAU coach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are you sure they are done with high school? I would be surprised if a kid from Mass like Molly were done.

After heading out to Colorado Springs for the U.S. U-18 national team trials, Dangerfield will make her way to UConn on May 28 and take part in her first college class on May 31.When she is on campus she will get acquainted with her new teammates whether it is fellow incoming freshmen Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin or the returning players from the four-time defending national champions."

UConn commit Crystal Dangerfield wraps up high school career

Reaction Score
How could you leave Big Nat out of the "front court" lineup???

I said CORE. There's room for 1-2 players from the remaining group to break in to heavy rotation.

Reaction Score
Molly can report and then drive home for graduation.

Tabor Schedule:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Semantics I would guess.
I would bet if programs are interested they often reach out to an affiliate -- eg, the player's former HS or AAU coach.
I just realized we are digressing and not just semantically.

Question 1 : Did Azura contact UCONN before UCONN contacted her.
My answer: Who cares.

Question 2 : Did Azura contact UCONN before contacting any other schools.
My Answer: I don't know but would be very interested in knowing, thus my question to @Goodgood.

Reaction Score
I just realized we are digressing and not just semantically.

Question 1 : Did Azura contact UCONN before UCONN contacted her.
My answer: Who cares.

Question 2 : Did Azura contact UCONN before contacting any other schools.
My Answer: I don't know but would be very interested in knowing, thus my question to @Goodgood.

I couldnt care less.

Reaction Score
I don't know but would be very interested in knowing, thus my question to @Goodgood.
I suspect that for someone who wants to develop into a top draft pick, there are only a couple of obvious choices. AZ was originally linked to South Carolina because of her summer connections to Dawn Staley, indicating that AZ probably knew precisely what she'd get and not get if she chose to go there. Perhaps there were a few more unknowns about UConn, but both sides surely knew each other reasonably well. Once CD signed on to AZ's twitter account, probably just a few things AZ needed to resolve with UConn and maybe vice-versa, before both sides could decide.

It's not as if she were a 16 year old high school sophomore who hadn't visited or conceptualized college and whose own value as a college player were yet to be determined precisely. She's very savvy at this point and very specific in her aspirations. No big courtship offered or required.

Reaction Score
Our opinion hasn't shifted at all.

When other coaches do it, they're vultures.

When Geno does it, he's welcoming refugees.

I think that there is a new phenomenon in WCBB. There are some coaches who are being exposed as abusive, and their players are deserting them in droves. It happened at Georgetown, where the coach was removed. There appears to be something brewing at Duke. And players, recruits, and assistant coaches are all running to the exits at Kentucky. North Carolina is a different story, with what appears to be a growing realization that the university has been operating a corrupt system for years which has led to the women's basketball program's recruits and athletes bailing out big-time.

So the growing acceptance of high-profile transfers is something of a novelty. Connecticut just never did this before. I believe that a previous post showed inward transfers by year, which showed that UConn has accepted more transfers in the past two or three years than it has in several previous years combined.

I think this would be a very good story for the media to explore. Why are kids bailing, and why are those transferees heading to a small number of schools? What is the magic in Penn State and Ohio State? Are those coaches actively going after recruits? Did they have strong relationships with them before they decided to transfer (as did Coach Geno with Camara)? Or were those who are now transferring told at some point during the original recruiting process that if they decided that they wanted a change at some point in their college careers, that those particular coaches would welcome them with open arms?

Clearly, something has changed in WCBB. Will be interesting to find out what's really going on.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think that there is a new phenomenon in WCBB. There are some coaches who are being exposed as abusive, and their players are deserting them in droves. It happened at Georgetown, where the coach was removed. There appears to be something brewing at Duke. And players, recruits, and assistant coaches are all running to the exits at Kentucky. North Carolina is a different story, with what appears to be a growing realization that the university has been operating a corrupt system for years which has led to the women's basketball program's recruits and athletes bailing out big-time.

So the growing acceptance of high-profile transfers is something of a novelty. Connecticut just never did this before. I believe that a previous post showed inward transfers by year, which showed that UConn has accepted more transfers in the past two or three years than it has in several previous years combined.

I think this would be a very good story for the media to explore. Why are kids bailing, and why are those transferees heading to a small number of schools? What is the magic in Penn State and Ohio State? Are those coaches actively going after recruits? Did they have strong relationships with them before they decided to transfer (as did Coach Geno with Camara)? Or were those who are now transferring told at some point during the original recruiting process that if they decided that they wanted a change at some point in their college careers, that those particular coaches would welcome them with open arms?

Clearly, something has changed in WCBB. Will be interesting to find out what's really going on.

Chris Hansen at Prospects Nation took a look at the trend in this article after Lexie Brown decided to transfer.

" There is a growing movement among elite players to leave, even if they are playing big minutes."

“With the number of elite kids transferring it’s crazy not to look at them,” McGuff added."

The Elite Transfer Trend | Prospects Nation

Reaction Score
Excellent article. Thanks. So, figure about 25% of the top 100 players will transfer...and partly because of technology:

The threat of blocking players from transferring has diminished as social media almost assures each step of the process will be played out in public. Simply look back at the spring of 2014 and the debacle that was Leticia Romero trying to leave Kansas State. When men’s basketball personalities such as Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale took to the twittersphere and airwaves denouncing the athletic department’s attempt to block her from leaving, it is a poor business decision to be the next in line for that. Not to mention it doesn’t help a program’s culture to force players to be some place they don’t want to be.

And Geno's earlier thoughts on the changes in student culture that has also helped produce this:
Transferring is newest trend in women’s college basketball

Reaction Score

The Courant article that Nan posted in the Camara article thread gave a full list of transfers. I believe AZ and Camara are the 6th and 7th transfers Geno has ever taken in.

Reaction Score
The Courant article that Nan posted in the Camara article thread gave a full list of transfers. I believe AZ and Camara are the 6th and 7th transfers Geno has ever taken in.

Too low. They make the total at least 10.

1. Sarah Northway
  2. Rita Williams
  3. Tihana Abrilic
  4. Christine Rigby
  5. Rashidat Sadiq
  6. McCormack
  7. Britt Hunter
  8. Butler

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tabor commencement is on the 30th. So I imagine all the senior exams are probably done by now.

Oops, looks like bags beat me to it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Too low. They make the total at least 10.

1. Sarah Northway
  2. Rita Williams
  3. Tihana Abrilic
  4. Christine Rigby
  5. Rashidat Sadiq
  6. McCormack
  7. Britt Hunter
  8. Butler
Are Abrlic and Sadiq officially transfers? They were JUCO graduates. I think Rita was at Mitchell College only one year, though, so I do consider her a transfer.

Reaction Score
This is kind of like a married couple asking who noticed who first. At some point there was "mutual" interest so that first move is really not important. Azura had UCONN convinced she was right for the program on December 29th 2014 at the XL Center when she was one of the best players on the floor.
Is that game on youtube? Where can I watch. She was a force in that game but your right she was the best on her team because the whole Uconn Team was dominated

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is that game on youtube? Where can I watch. She was a force in that game but your right she was the best on her team because the whole Uconn Team was dominated
I don't have access to youtube from this computer just hit the UCONN replay site.

Reaction Score
Great point!

Reaction Score
Are Abrlic and Sadiq officially transfers? They were JUCO graduates. I think Rita was at Mitchell College only one year, though, so I do consider her a transfer.
Connecticut was always on Rita Williams which if her grades were better she would of end up at UConn following her senior year out of high school. Rita was underrated player. Geno even said his self help wished he have redshirted her

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno seems bent on a plan to fulfill the old saw, "He could take your players and beat you with them, too."

The first time I heard someone say that......"He can take yours, etc"...........was the old ball coach (not Steve Spurrier) Bum Phillips of the Houston Oilers back in the 70's.
I was a Bum Phillips fan, and a Houston Oilers fan back then. Their quarterback was Dan Pastorini. The Tyler Rose......Earl Campbell arrived in 1978, then things really got going.

Reaction Score
at 21:00 (on the tape, not the game) Stevens scores over Stewie, and then follows with a fast break.
and then another highlight at 25:00 (on the tape) where she hits from way out.

Jeez, CocoHusky, thanks for reminding us of this. She's only a first semester freshman here, playing UConn at the XL, and yet shows such tools. Even her misses are nice. A real freak athlete.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc