Batouly Camara to UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Batouly Camara to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sonny44- - -I've posted elsewhere that I've watched several KY games the 2nd 1/2 of last season and Batouly is the real deal! Has an athletic body, runs well for a BIG girl, has great touch around the basket, hustles every play, just a really good freshman player who's game is advanced for her age! And I heard she's an excellent student to boot!
She was recruited heavy by UCONN just over a year ago so she knows the coaching staff and players real well!
Thanks. Would you say similar to DJB?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Checking in on the Notre Dame and Tenn boards, and no one's happy about this: Batouly and AZ show that UConn can't compete in recruiting against Notre Dame (especially now pleased to keep their ace recruiter Neile Ivey) and that Boneyarders are a bunch of hypocrites in suddenly welcoming transfers while previously condemning the practice elsewhere. It's true that Notre Dame has had a great recruiting run the past couple of years, but hard to argue that it's being better than UConn is more than an aberration (and so far without an NC). As to being hypocrites, "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds". No little minds here!
Please don't drag garbage over from other boards. We actually have a rule against that (the rules page is down so you couldn't know). We've had bad experiences with that in the past so we would prefer UConn fans leave trash on the ground where they find it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
From what Im being told we have a very good defender, who is an excellent rebounder, and can score. As far as trash talk about UConn getting transfers. I really dont care what other boards say. IMO one problem is jealousy because other teams thought they had the upper hand and now they dont. UConn now is a very powerful team with just enough depth. IMO to much depth and its hard to maintain team chemistry thats why imo Geno plays 7-8 players or less. When you lose chemistry you lose continuity and thats what makes UConn so great. Having 8-12 top players does not allow you to maintain team chemistry. It does not allow players enough playtime to be happy. Attitudes are not high thus problems in the locker room which we dont hear about and that affects team mates mentally. JMO

Reaction Score
I too am excited about getting Batouly, but I wish I knew more about her other than she's 6'2" and was a top 100 recruit. Unlike AZ, we never played against her. I hope we're not creating unrealistic expectations for her.
Anyone interested in putting a resume together for Batouly?

Sonny come on man..... you don't think the coaching staff have done their homework on this. The players are also consulted on these things after the player spends some time with them. 'We' don't recruit anybody lol. 'We' didn't even know she was being considered until well into the process.

I know, I know it's unfortunate that the coaching staff doesn't include the fans in this process but it is what it is lol.

I hope Camara has unrealistic expectations for herself. Put her on the court with other players that have unrealistic expectations and 'team chemistry' will take care of itself.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks. Would you say similar to DJB?
Close. I think DJB was more well rounded in the UCONN essentials like setting good screens and ball movement and better offensively. Defensively & Physicality wise Camara would have the edge.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I too am excited about getting Batouly, but I wish I knew more about her other than she's 6'2" and was a top 100 recruit. Unlike AZ, we never played against her. I hope we're not creating unrealistic expectations for her.
Anyone interested in putting a resume together for Batouly?
High school:
Senior year, averaged 12.5 points, 12 rebounds
Four year starter
"Beyond the court, she is a Locke Hall prefect, an active leader in student government and an excellent all-around student."
One of 35 invitees to try out for USA Basketball (didn't make 12 member team) in 2014
ASGR #2 ranked power forward
Hoopgurz #9 ranked post, #53 overall. Called "rebounder deluxe"
Blue Star #30 overall
Recruited by Connecticut, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Northwestern, Oklahoma, Princeton, and Virginia

Kentucky:
Averaged 5.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg, .6 apg and had 30 blocks in 18.3 minutes a game. Shot 49.3% on the season but 55.6% in the last 13 games
Started the last 12 games after a Feb. 12 breakout game vs South Carolina (14 points [7-13 shooting], 9 reb [5 offensive], 2 assists, 1 TO, 1 block in 25 minutes)

And there's this quote from an ESPN article:
Camara had a breakout game in her second career start in February against South Carolina, scoring a season-high 14 points and grabbing nine rebounds.

After that game, coach Matthew Mitchell had this to say to the Lexington Herald-Leader: "There is no one who has gotten harder times from the coach this year than Batouly. And she just shows up the next day with a smile on her face and tries to get better.
"

Reaction Score
Azura came to UConn and convinced them she would be right for the program. Batouly was heavily recruited by UConn and we were one of the final two choices. They chose to transfer to UConn. UConn didn't go after them.

Reaction Score
Can anyone please provide correct pronunciation on both first and last names?

Reaction Score
2017 roster
Sr - Nurse, Gabby, Butler, Ekmark
Jr - KLS, Collier, Stevens
So - CD, Camara, Irwin, Bent
Fr - AEH, Gordon

Wow, a core of Nurse/CD/KLS in the backcourt and
Collier/Gabby/Camara/Stevens in the front

How could you leave Big Nat out of the "front court" lineup???

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
From what Im being told we have a very good defender, who is an excellent rebounder, and can score. As far as trash talk about UConn getting transfers. I really dont care what other boards say.
Ah yes, the Kibitzer's "I couldn't care less" attitude. :D

IMO one problem is jealousy because other teams thought they had the upper hand and now they dont. UConn now is a very powerful team with just enough depth. IMO to much depth and its hard to maintain team chemistry thats why imo Geno plays 7-8 players or less. When you lose chemistry you lose continuity and thats what makes UConn so great. Having 8-12 top players does not allow you to maintain team chemistry. It does not allow players enough playtime to be happy. Attitudes are not high thus problems in the locker room which we dont hear about and that affects team mates mentally. JMO

Wait a minute. This isn't our Tony. What gives? :eek:

Reaction Score
They chose to transfer to UConn. UConn didn't go after them.
We really don't know that for sure, do we? In today's world, the only thing you need to do to indicate interest in a player is to "follow" her twitter account. And then we heard nothing about what were likely complex conversations until just before or at the very announcement of their commitments.

Reaction Score
Not to be the buzzkill, but I'm still not a fan of it. No one really knows how these transfers will turn out, and the coaching staff has less time than normal to work with them. Plus there's sitting out for a year which I'm not sold on being a positive thing. Also I think there is something special about being recruited to the team with other classmates and then going out with them like Stewie, Mo, and Tuck. That kind of chemistry doesn't just happen and to me is what makes this program go.
Well I hope you are in the minority! Which ever way to become dominant again is fine with me and to add a special personality to the team who is willing to work hard to dominate should be viewed in the best light. Sorry you, CoCo, and others view it as a glass half empty. Now bring on board Megatron and let the annual parades begin!!!

Reaction Score
Our opinion hasn't shifted at all.

When other coaches do it, they're vultures.

When Geno does it, he's welcoming refugees.
Whatever YOU call it, it is LEGAL and WELCOMED!!! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I assume all the newbies will be arriving for the first semester of the summer sessions on Tuesday May 31.

Crystal, Kyla, Molly, Azura and Batouly. Uhhh...frankly that group might well comprise a balanced team of guards
and inside players. How about a challenge to the returning players....our injured players Napheesa and Lou can coach the 2 teams.
Anyone heard whether Lou is back on the court yet?

Reaction Score
We really don't know that for sure, do we? In today's world, the only thing you need to do to indicate interest in a player is to "follow" her twitter account. And then we heard nothing about what were likely complex conversations until just before or at the very announcement of their commitments.

We will never know anything for sure. There are thousands of ways to show indirect interests, mostly thru third person, friends, family members, old coaches, etc..

One thing we know for sure is that she contacted UConn FIRST.

NCAA rule for any transfer.

Reaction Score
Well Butler Stevens and Camara all bigs have transferred to UConn. This is sending alot of messages to kids out there thinking of playing for UConn whether they are with another team or in AAU ball. This also sends a message to WCBB that UConn is attracting great players. Now I didnt say all great players I said great players. How much better does it get then this if your a UConn fan. This is sending alot of different messages to alot of people out there. Just when you thought it was safe to schedule a game with UConn this happens. WOW this is going to be some team when Geno gets finished with them.
Punish those who did not sign up with us when the Big 3 was on the team but thought they will sign up now after the 3 left. Now that they have signed to play us, stick it to them real good! And that goes for individual players like Cox, etc. who optioned to play elsewhere. Better think about getting your NC this coming year b/c after that pickings will be very, very slim!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Azura came to UConn and convinced them she would be right for the program. Batouly was heavily recruited by UConn and we were one of the final two choices. They chose to transfer to UConn. UConn didn't go after them.
This is kind of like a married couple asking who noticed who first. At some point there was "mutual" interest so that first move is really not important. Azura had UCONN convinced she was right for the program on December 29th 2014 at the XL Center when she was one of the best players on the floor.

Reaction Score
Not to be the buzzkill, but I'm still not a fan of it. No one really knows how these transfers will turn out, and the coaching staff has less time than normal to work with them. Plus there's sitting out for a year which I'm not sold on being a positive thing. Also I think there is something special about being recruited to the team with other classmates and then going out with them like Stewie, Mo, and Tuck. That kind of chemistry doesn't just happen and to me is what makes this program go.
Absolutely. Nothing better than to see those kids march together at graduation. But they marched with an entire student body which was far more diverse--many of those graduates were transfers, returning students, part-time students, etc. College creates complex communities and (ideally) prepares young adults to experience and accept difference. Learning to welcome and trust transfers into a very tightly-knit group of exceptionally team-oriented players is another life skill. Certainly needed in the fluid world of the WNBA!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We will never know anything for sure. There are thousands of ways to show indirect interests, mostly thru third person, friends, family members, old coaches, etc..

One thing we know for sure is that she contacted UConn FIRST.

NCAA rule for any transfer.
How do we know this?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I assume all the newbies will be arriving for the first semester of the summer sessions on Tuesday May 31.

Crystal, Kyla, Molly, Azura and Batouly. Uhhh...frankly that group might well comprise a balanced team of guards
and inside players. How about a challenge to the returning players....our injured players Napheesa and Lou can coach the 2 teams.
Anyone heard whether Lou is back on the court yet?
Newbies involved in 1st Summer session arrive May 28th. At a minimum that is Crystal, Kyla, Molly.

Reaction Score
We will never know anything for sure. There are thousands of ways to show indirect interests, mostly thru third person, friends, family members, old coaches, etc.. One thing we know for sure is that she contacted UConn FIRST. NCAA rule for any transfer.
Isn't this one of many grey areas around NCAA rules? If a school finds indirect ways of expressing interest--as you say--that's certainly an invitation to the player to reach out and begin discussions. When a school that has won 4 consecutive NCs and supplies the top 3 WNBA picks and therefore is extremely selective about recruiting indicates any sort of indirect interest to a player who now has a proven college track record, that transfer player has to see it as an invitation.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Great get for UCONN. I posted when news first broke about her transfer that she's a real player and whichever school she decided to go to would benefit greatly. Good strong build, light on her feet up the court, quick around the basket and already has a well developed arsenal of post moves for a freshmen.

Something I've noticed.. With the additions of transfers Stevens and now Camara, it has been interesting to visit the Boneyard and see opinions shift on schools and coaches accepting transfers.
I was thinking the exact same thing @SCGamecock , in Ohio we have a word to describe people like that.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom