B1G TV Negotiations | Page 7 | The Boneyard

B1G TV Negotiations

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's not that Houston isn't "regional", it's that Houston isn't the schools (Michigan, tOSU, Oklahoma, Texas) mentioned in the original question on which I based my answer. When we were playing well in the Big East and had "known" conference teams like WVU, Pitt, etc. coming into The Rent, we drew high 30's and even had sellouts. Imagine if we were in a P5 league with a big-name school or two coming into town every year.

I agree and we certainly need to work on that perception, but trying to sell my non-CFB buddies into coming to an ECU game is going to require more time for the program to right itself and a better sales job from me.

Sellouts

Date Opponent Result Seats Stadium
October 19, 2007 Louisville W 21-17 40,000 Rentschler Field
November 03, 2007 Rutgers W 38-19 40,000 Rentschler Field
November 17, 2007 Syracuse W 30-7 40,000 Rentschler Field
September 13, 2008 Virginia W 45-10 40,000 Rentschler Field
October 25, 2008 Cincinnati W 40-16 40,000 Rentschler Field
November 01, 2008 West Virginia L 35-13 40,000 Rentschler Field
October 17, 2009 Louisville W 38-25 40,000 Rentschler Field
November 28, 2009 Syracuse W 56-31 40,000 Rentschler Field
October 02, 2010 Vanderbilt W 40-21 40,000 Rentschler Field
October 29, 2010 West Virginia W 16-13 40,000 Rentschler Field
November 27, 2010 Cincinnati W 38-17 40,000 Rentschler Field
September 21, 2013 Michigan L 24-21 42,704 Rentschler Field

Note: Attendance goes back to the 2007 Season.

pj

Reaction Score
Sellouts

Date Opponent Result Seats Stadium
October 19, 2007 Louisville W 21-17 40,000 Rentschler Field
November 03, 2007 Rutgers W 38-19 40,000 Rentschler Field
November 17, 2007 Syracuse W 30-7 40,000 Rentschler Field
September 13, 2008 Virginia W 45-10 40,000 Rentschler Field
October 25, 2008 Cincinnati W 40-16 40,000 Rentschler Field
November 01, 2008 West Virginia L 35-13 40,000 Rentschler Field
October 17, 2009 Louisville W 38-25 40,000 Rentschler Field
November 28, 2009 Syracuse W 56-31 40,000 Rentschler Field
October 02, 2010 Vanderbilt W 40-21 40,000 Rentschler Field
October 29, 2010 West Virginia W 16-13 40,000 Rentschler Field
November 27, 2010 Cincinnati W 38-17 40,000 Rentschler Field
September 21, 2013 Michigan L 24-21 42,704 Rentschler Field

Note: Attendance goes back to the 2007 Season.

That would be a great season. Surely at 10-2 we would get to play a 13th game, no?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
If we got into the B12, we will fill the Rent overnight.

I still don't think you can just say that without any context behind it. In the XII the only guaranteed sell out games would be Oklahoma and Texas. Games that sell out depending on our record would probably be everyone else. Especially the Iowa State's and Kansas' of the world. I'm not trying to sound like a Debbie downer I'm just trying to be realistic here. To say that we would "fill the rent overnight" just isn't accurate, especially if it came with a stadium expansion

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I still don't think you can just say that without any context behind it. In the XII the only guaranteed sell out games would be Oklahoma and Texas. Games that sell out depending on our record would probably be everyone else. Especially the Iowa State's and Kansas' of the world. I'm not trying to sound like a Debbie downer I'm just trying to be realistic here. To say that we would "fill the rent overnight" just isn't accurate, especially if it came with a stadium expansion
I agree with you if you're talking "sellouts" and not higher attendance. You used the Houston game and I agree that they were ranked highly, etc but it was still Houston. They weren't a perennial Top 25 team, they had one good season. There was no regional interest and we have ZERO history with them. No one was going to come out, especially for a night game even though they were ranked so highly.

Now, if we get into the Big 12 we will be close to selling out the majority of our conference slate. WVU we have history with. Baylor, TCU, OSU, and to an extent TTech are all known football powers. People would want to see them play or see us play them. The only tougher sells would be Kansas and ISU and maybe K-State. OU and Texas are sell outs no matter what.

Another thing to take into account is the type of football these teams play. Big 12 football is high scoring and a lot of people enjoy them over the grind it out type football we have been playing under Diaco. I'm not challenging either type of game but I have a feeling that more people would enjoy watching a game that's high scoring then a 13-10 slug fest between middling teams. So you can get more casual fans to come out, even if UConn is not doing so well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I like when people who don't live here pontificate on attendance.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Just think of what you just said when you threw shade on Iowa State and Kansas. The "Iowa State's and the Kansas' of the world" have been the featured OOC highlights of our home schedules since The Rent opened. Now you use them as examples of potentially weak draws. This market likes and will support Big Time and the Big 12 is Big Time.

Drew

Reaction Score
I like when people who don't live here pontificate on attendance.

First off, tag me next time instead of this typical passive aggressive BS you like to spew on here

Second I lived in CT 4 of the last 5 years and didn't miss a game as a student. Yeah I live in NC now as a post grad. I still made it to 2 games at the Rent and both @ Mizzou and @ Temple last season. But sure I'm not qualified to speak on attendance at UConn games.

Third, I'm not pontificating anything. These aren't opinions I'm talking about I'm talking about a purely numbers standpoint. What about what I am saying would you consider wrong? We played Iowa State at the Rent when we were members of the Big East. Attendance: 28,301 Iowa State vs. Connecticut - Game Summary - September 16, 2011 - ESPN

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First off, tag me next time instead of this typical passive aggressive BS you like to spew on here

Second I lived in CT 4 of the last 5 years and didn't miss a game as a student. Yeah I live in NC now as a post grad. I still made it to 2 games at the Rent and both @ Mizzou and @ Temple last season. But sure I'm not qualified to speak on attendance at UConn games.

Third, I'm not pontificating anything. These aren't opinions I'm talking about I'm talking about a purely numbers standpoint. What about what I am saying would you consider wrong? We played Iowa State at the Rent when we were members of the Big East. Attendance: 28,301 Iowa State vs. Connecticut - Game Summary - September 16, 2011 - ESPN

A thousand apologies.

Didn't say you were wrong - it just takes a special kind of message board warrior to yap about attendance from hundreds of miles away.

Why not get in the Big 12 first then sweat who shows up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that alumni, no matter how scattered nor distant, care about their home stadium and fan support.

It is part of being a fan...many donate funds for stadium restoration/improvement even though they will seldom see a game in person.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think that alumni, no matter how scattered nor distant, care about their home stadium and fan support.

It is part of being a fan...many donate funds for stadium restoration/improvement even though they will seldom see a game in person.

That's nice and all... but it's beyond tired having people here that don't live here criticize attendance or blather on about where stadiums should be or complain that students don't get treated fairly but ignore that 99% of them never come back after graduation.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That's nice and all... but it's beyond tired having people here that don't live here criticize attendance or blather on about where stadiums should be or complain that students don't get treated fairly but ignore that 99% of them never come back after graduation.

I don't like your new avatar. Go back to the flagrant foul image, much more befitting.

Reaction Score

So you're saying 1% of all alumni come back and/or support their team? That's roughly 2,200 people worldwide. At least now I know where some of the pundits who pen their late-night drivel from a double-wide outside of Lubbock source their data. . .

Drew

Reaction Score
Enough guys. Lets keep it on the B1G TV negotiations in here.

Reaction Score
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I found it interesting for any new and upcoming TV Contract.

ESPN/Fox plan to finally count bar and gym viewers

Nielsen ratings in potentially 2017 will now account for OOH (out of home) ratings to now include: Bars, gyms, hotels, airports etc.

will they charge advertisers more with the addition of PPM (portable people meters).??? Will new TVs have them as a standard?

I could see this dramatically changing the dynamic of the $$$ in any future TV contracts.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I found it interesting for any new and upcoming TV Contract.

Nielsen ratings in potentially 2017 will now account for OOH (out of home) ratings to now include: Bars, gyms, hotels, airports etc.

will they charge advertisers more with the addition of PPM (portable people meters).??? Will new TVs have them as a standard?

I could see this dramatically changing the dynamic of the $$$ in any future TV contracts.

It's still Nielsen so it's going to be a sample.

Not sure why advertisers would pay more it's not like these are new viewers - they have always been watching so why would it change the economics?

Drew

Reaction Score
Unsportsmanlike Conduct: The Latest On The Big Ten Media Deal

Interesting to hear them say "don't just go with ESPN to go with ESPN. If you can get another major network to make an offer better than ESPN you take it"

Reaction Score
Richard Deitsch welcomes Sports Business Daily media writer John Ourand back to the SI Media Podcast for a conversation on various sports media topics.

On this episode, Ourand and Deitsch discusses the future of Chris Berman at ESPN, Sean McDonough’s emotional response to landing Monday Night Football, who will end up with the Big Ten television rights, the prospect of an ACC Channel or PGA Cable network, the potential ratings for this year's Stanley Cup , what kind of stand-alone TV contract Alabama or OSU football get on open market, whether ESPN has a perception problem regarding viewers believing they are too liberal, praise for Fox Sports for letting its executives talk with no hand holding from PR, the issues SporsCenter is experiencing and whether the 6:00 p.m. version should be changed, and the NFL changes at ESPN, and much more.

Reaction Score
I wonder who will have the rights to the B1G home basketball games in the B1G/ACC Challenge? Next seasons matchups were just announced:

2016 ACC/Big Ten Challenge Field includes 14 Teams from NCAA Tournament Big Ten Conference Official Site

2016 ACC/Big Ten Challenge Field includes 14 Teams from NCAA Tournament

The 2016 ACC/Big Ten Challenge matches all 14 Big Ten teams against all but one ACC member

May 24, 2016

Two teams from the 2016 Final Four – North Carolina and Syracuse – are among the participants in the 18th annual ACC/Big Ten Challenge to be played Monday, Nov. 28 through Wednesday, Nov. 30. The event – in which each conference hosts seven games – matches all 14 Big Ten teams against all but one ACC member. Network assignments and tip times will be announced at a later date.
ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU will combine to televise all 14 games of the event matching top college basketball programs playing for conference supremacy and the Commissioner’s Cup. All 14 games will also be available via WatchESPN.

Schedule highlights:

• Two rematches from the 2015 Challenge, Syracuse at Wisconsin, who played to a 66-58 overtime Badger victory, and Ohio State at Virginia, who defeated the Buckeyes 64-58
• Seven games will have first-time Challenge matchups: Wake Forest-Northwestern; Pittsburgh-Maryland; NC State-Illinois; Virginia Tech-Michigan; Purdue-Louisville; Rutgers-Miami and Nebraska-Clemson.

Team highlights:

• Fourteen teams competed in the 2016 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship: NCAA runner-up North Carolina; Final Four team Syracuse; Elite Eight teams Notre Dame and Virginia; Sweet 16 teams Duke, Indiana, Maryland, Miami and Wisconsin, as well as Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Pittsburgh and Purdue.

The Big Ten captured the Commissioner’s Cup in 2015 and 2014, winning eight of the 14 matchups both years. The two conferences split the previous two events, winning six Challenge games each in 2012 and 2013. The ACC won the first 10 Challenges (1999-2008), while the Big Ten won the next three (2009-2011). In the event of a tie, the Commissioner’s Cup remains with the conference that won the previous year. The ACC holds the 10-5-2 winning record in the previous 17 years.

Monday, Nov. 28

Minnesota at Florida State
Wake Forest at Northwestern

Tuesday, Nov. 29

Syracuse at Wisconsin
Michigan State at Duke
Pittsburgh at Maryland
Iowa at Notre Dame
Georgia Tech at Penn State
N.C. State at Illinois

Wednesday, Nov. 30

Purdue at Louisville
North Carolina at Indiana
Ohio State at Virginia
Virginia Tech at Michigan
Rutgers at Miami (Fla.)
Nebraska at Clemson

Michigan State @ Duke and North Carolina @ Indiana are the big two that jump out at me. Looks like Boston College is left out of the Challenge for the second year in a row!

Reaction Score

Sounds like it just got more expensive to own a bar.

Reaction Score
Put the TV on ABC sports, or something free

Yep, I'm sure everyone at the bar is going to be super into watching reruns of Scandal during ESPN's coverage of the College Football Playoffs.

Reaction Score
Yep, I'm sure everyone at the bar is going to be super into watching reruns of Scandal during ESPN's coverage of the College Football Playoffs.

No one cares. You're not at the bar to watch college football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom