B1G TV Negotiations | Page 5 | The Boneyard

B1G TV Negotiations

Reaction Score
It could very well be possible. If the B1G and ESPN divorce, foxsports will have exclusive rights to air the games, that would put fox in a more lucrative and powerful position, and ESPN will be standing in quicksand .

ESPN does not live off the B1G. It's bread & butter is Sportscenter and Pro Sports.

No one seems to have noticed that, while they broke ranks with on-air personalities, they have also been hiring others. Pro baseball, football, basketball, and of course, college basketball are still ESPN properties.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The problem with Fox Sports having exclusive rights to anything is that people have shown a marked disinclination to watch their cable offerings.

The Big Ten isn't the NFL - they can't disrupt ESPN to any marked degree.

Reaction Score
The problem with Fox Sports having exclusive rights to anything is that people have shown a marked disinclination to watch their cable offerings.

It seems that that's what happening.

Reaction Score

Maybe, but IMO they don't have to be the NFL. Nobody is the NFL now - pro or college - they're a juggernaut.

The B1G offers the best year round product in terms of member institution size, market, fan base - moreso than the SEC I would say because SEC hoops by and large is a tire fire once you get passed Kentucky and Florida most years.

FOX doesn't need to take 51% of ESPN's eyeballs to make a dent in the network - not right away at least. If they can move 15-25% in the first few years of having B1G sports, it could be enough to give other leagues and pro sports an incentive to give them a second look, which in the longterm could position FOX to overtake ESPN.

Nothing stays static in television.

For 16 years NBC's TODAY Show dominated morning TV until in 2012 ABC's Good Morning America broke it. Today the two networks are battling week in and week out for supremacy.

My point is saying that FS1 will fail because people won't watch it isn't a really good argument. FS1 is failing cause their current content is poor-to-mediocre at best, which in turn isn't enough to get people motivated to find it and change the channel. Put B1G football and hoops on there and the content part of the equation is getting closer to being solved.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe, but IMO they don't have to be the NFL. Nobody is the NFL now - pro or college - they're a juggernaut.

The B1G offers the best year round product in terms of member institution size, market, fan base - moreso than the SEC I would say because SEC hoops by and large is a tire fire once you get passed Kentucky and Florida most years.

FOX doesn't need to take 51% of ESPN's eyeballs to make a dent in the network - not right away at least. If they can move 15-25% in the first few years of having B1G sports, it could be enough to give other leagues and pro sports an incentive to give them a second look, which in the longterm could position FOX to overtake ESPN.

Nothing stays static in television.

For 16 years NBC's TODAY Show dominated morning TV until in 2012 ABC's Good Morning America broke it. Today the two networks are battling week in and week out for supremacy.

My point is saying that FS1 will fail because people won't watch it isn't a really good argument. FS1 is failing cause their current content is poor-to-mediocre at best, which in turn isn't enough to get people motivated to find it and change the channel. Put B1G football and hoops on there and the content part of the equation is getting closer to being solved.

It's not really the same thing. You can't copy having the properties at a whim but whatever.

The Big Ten clearly wants ESPN to buy the balance. Unless you believe that the ADs really don't have a problem with no ESPN. And if you believe that you believe the coaches don't have a problem with no ESPN. And if you believe that you should go back to the beginning and start over.

Reaction Score
It's not really the same thing. You can't copy having the properties at a whim but whatever.

What does that even mean? Who is saying that FOX Sports is going to replicate or steal ESPN's existing properties overnight and with ease?

It's a process. ESPN wasn't always ESPN. They benefitted greatly obviously by being first movers, but it wasn't until they started signing deals with various leagues and conferences that they grew over to the mammoth they are today.

Again, this argument that ESPN can't lose because it's ESPN isn't an argument at all. Things change and even the most seemingly invincible networks can fall.

I mean look at CNN right now. Who would ever have guessed the network that brought you the Gulf War live and invented cable news would drop out of first place? But as of this past March, FOX News jumped in front.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What does that even mean? Who is saying that FOX Sports is going to replicate or steal ESPN's existing properties overnight and with ease?

It's a process. ESPN wasn't always ESPN. They benefitted greatly obviously by being first movers, but it wasn't until they started signing deals with various leagues and conferences that they grew over to the mammoth they are today.

Again, this argument that ESPN can't lose because it's ESPN isn't an argument at all. Things change and even the most seemingly invincible networks can fall.

I mean look at CNN right now. Who would ever have guessed the network that brought you the Gulf War live and invented cable news would drop out of first place? But as of this past March, FOX News jumped in front.

It's nothing like cable news or morning shows. That's was my point.

You can double down on silly analogies it doesn't make them any more accurate or relevant.

Of course ESPN can lose. You might want to consider it probably won't happen while they have MNF, MLB, and the NBA which are all way bigger properties than the Big Ten - which they haven't even lost yet.

Reaction Score
ESPN will have no choice but to promote the American if they lose the B1G. Can they sell it as a power league nationally if they dig in hard right away? I think you could argue that ESPN can make the public think whatever they want them to think.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
ESPN will have no choice but to promote the American if they lose the B1G. Can they sell it as a power league nationally if they dig in hard right away? I think you could argue that ESPN can make the public think whatever they want them to think.

ESPN will continue their transition into becoming SECN and NBAtv, sprinkle in a few ACC games here and there, and bump up the AAC and MAC to weeknight primetime and ESPNU.

Reaction Score

I imagine they could, but I suspect much of their hype will be spent building up schools in The ACC not named FSU or Clemson. When you consider the fact that they get millions of casual fans to believe that every team in The SEC is worthy of being in The Top 25 to start every season, you really do wonder.

Reaction Score

You can double down on silly analogies it doesn't make them any more accurate or relevant.

Of course ESPN can lose. You might want to consider it probably won't happen while they have MNF, MLB, and the NBA which are all way bigger properties than the Big Ten - which they haven't even lost yet.
His point is that change is incremental. ESPN is still #1. But with more sports networks than ever, ESPN is losing the monopoly on broadcasting rights it once had.

There's no debating that ESPN still has valuable properties. But as other networks poach the rights to events people want to watch, ESPN will lose some of the marketshare, and it's not inconceivable that another network could eventually pass it - especially as consumers shift away from the traditional cable model that was extremely kind to ESPN.

Reaction Score

Comparing cable news networks to cable sports networks is a silly analogy? Man I'd hate to have your SAT score.

And again, back to my original point, getting the B1G isn't a silver bullet but it will succeed in peeling a certain percentage of viewers away from ESPN. That is a start, a chance to get into the ring and compete, which is what FOX desperately needs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Comparing cable news networks to cable sports networks is a silly analogy? Man I'd hate to have your SAT score.

And again, back to my original point, getting the B1G isn't a silver bullet but it will succeed in peeling a certain percentage of viewers away from ESPN. That is a start, a chance to get into the ring and compete, which is what FOX desperately needs.

LOL - the fact you don't get that and combined it with trying to insult my intellegence is gold.

As for the rest - they are trying to compete in the worst way possible. They are trying to replicate a model that is past it's prime. They may as well start trying to build the best cordless phones or the best CD players.

ESPN has put themselves in a tough spot by wasting money on talentless hacks and overspending on properties. Fox is doubling down on the same talentless hacks and overspending on properties. If you break down what they spend per Big 10 game it's insane.

They are pretty much building a network of professional trolls. It's the most obvious losing strategy you'll ever see - but they went all in on it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Great job spelling "Intelligence."

OMG someone mispelled a word while typing on their phone.

You've been wrong all day - I guess if the best you can do is a spelling mistake - enjoy it.

What a tool.

Reaction Score
I'm part of a "reattach the cord" family. We cut it for a long time. When it became cost effective, we reattached.

I wonder if anyone here is like me?

I still have Netflix and Amazon too.

I bet ESPN will start gaining more again once the cable companies figure out their bundles better.

Reaction Score
OMG someone mispelled a word while typing on their phone.

You've been wrong all day - I guess if the best you can do is a spelling mistake - enjoy it.

What a tool.

Wow, check--mate. Great job out there, pour yourself an extra one tonight because you were able to call someone a tool on the internet.

You go around here ripping people for stating opinions all the time. It must be exhausting constantly searching for an opportunity to be so contrarian all the time.

There isn't anything "wrong" with the idea that I am putting out there: that if FS1 can get their hands on some quality, live-content that they have a fighting chance with ESPN.

Or maybe it's my assertion that Cable News and Cable Sports are analogous that you think is "wrong?"

Well let's see, what is an analogy?

"A comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification."

Cable News and Cable Sports networks are structured in the same way in that they rely equally on live content and original programming to drive ratings.

Presidential Debates and Election Night coverage are huge boons for CNN just like Monday Night Football is for ESPN.

Original programming like Hannity on FOX News and PTI on ESPN are also major ratings drivers.

So yes, I would say they are pretty darn analogous.

But hey, I get it, it's easier to just call people a tool and walk away from a debate then to actually engage.

Reaction Score
LOL - the fact you don't get that and combined it with trying to insult my intellegence is gold.

As for the rest - they are trying to compete in the worst way possible. They are trying to replicate a model that is past it's prime. They may as well start trying to build the best cordless phones or the best CD players.

ESPN has put themselves in a tough spot by wasting money on talentless hacks and overspending on properties. Fox is doubling down on the same talentless hacks and overspending on properties. If you break down what they spend per Big 10 game it's insane.

They are pretty much building a network of professional trolls. It's the most obvious losing strategy you'll ever see - but they went all in on it.

To your second point I actually do not disagree with you. I think that FOX's decision to buy up bloated contracts of ESPN's trolliest personalities is an awful and misguided move.

But that's completely separate from its need for live content, which is what the B1G will provide - albeit not on the scale that will let it compete immediately with ESPN.

If FS1 will ever get a real chance to compete with ESPN it's going to be thanks to an influx on live content, not because it now has Skip Bayless. Original programming will be a part of the equation but I can't see it succeeding the way FS1 is doing it now.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

yes but aside from MNF ESPN doesnt have the NFL either.....

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
yes but aside from MNF ESPN doesnt have the NFL either.....

Jesus.

Do you understand ESPN's strength relative to Fox Sports 1?

Reaction Score
Big Ten saw big increased revenue in 2014-15, team payments on par with SEC

The Big Ten nearly caught up to the SEC in 2014-15, paying out its longstanding members $32.4 million each two seasons ago

The Big Ten generated $448.8 million in revenue during 2014-15, a 32-percent increase over one year for college sports' second-wealthiest conference behind the SEC.

In the first year with Maryland and Rutgers as members -- coinciding with the debut of the College Football Playoff -- the Big Ten took in $110 million more than in 2013-14, according to tax records provided Wednesday to CBS Sports. The league paid its 11 longstanding members about $32.4 million each.

That's on par with the SEC's payout of $32.7 million and considerably more than the Pac-12 ($25.1 million) and Big 12 ($23.3 million). The SEC generated $527.4 million in revenue last year. The ACC is the only major conference yet to release its tax records.

The money will only increase for the Big Ten, which is separating itself financially with the SEC from the other Power Five conferences. Last month, SportsBusiness Journal reported the Big Ten is close to signing a deal with Fox for half of its media rights at a value of $250 million a year over six years. The second half of the TV deal will show exactly how wealthy the Big Ten will be.

One of the major questions in the ongoing negotiations is whether the Big Ten will still have a major presence on ESPN. SportsBusiness Journal reported that ESPN offered a low bid for the Big Ten rights. ESPN has said it wants to remain partners with the Big Ten for a long time.

"We're interested in having great partners that have great platforms who are interested in marketing and promotion," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday at the Big Ten spring meetings, according to the Detroit Free-Press. "The market will decide what happens. It's a new day, and we've approached it that way."

In the latest tax return, Delany was credited with $2.6 million in total compensation. That's down from nearly $3.4 million in 2013-14, when Delany received a $1 million bonus and was credited with $833,333 as deferred payment from previous years.

Last year, Delany's salary was $1,905,436 (down about $151,000 from 2013-14). He also received $273,900 in deferred compensation, $42,100 in other reportable compensation, and $40,964 in nontaxable benefits.

Delany's compensation total means Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott likely remained the highest-paid commissioner in 2014-15. Earlier Wednesday, the Pac-12's tax return showed Scott became the first $4 million-a-year commissioner at $4.05 million. Then-SEC commissioner Mike Slive received $3.6 million, and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby made $2.6 million.

Penn State was back to being fully funded by the Big Ten after getting docked almost $3 million a year earlier due to NCAA sanctions. The Big Ten's three newest members are on different paths toward receiving full shares: Maryland ($24.1 million), Nebraska ($19.8 million) and Rutgers ($10.5 million).

Maryland also received an $11.6 million loan from the Big Ten. Maryland settled a lawsuit with the ACC and agreed to pay $31 million in exit fees to leave for the Big Ten.

Rutgers did not experience a major financial jump by moving to the Big Ten -- at least not yet. It went from $8.3 million in the American Athletic Conference to $10.5 million in the Big Ten. More significant money is eventually coming, but for 2014-15, Rutgers got paid more like a Group of Five school than a Power Five school.

The Big Ten reported $21.5 million in 2014-15 income from investment in the Big Ten Network, up from $12.4 million a year earlier. Those amounts do not include annual rights fees the Big Ten receives from the network. Fox owns 51 percent of the Big Ten Network.

The Big Ten's net assets as of June 30, 2015, were $63.7 million. That was up from $52.1 million a year earlier.

Big Ten deputy commissioner Brad Traviolia remained the conference office's second-highest paid employee at $464,879 in total compensation, up 19 percent from 2013-14. Other high-paid employees: chief communication officer Diane Dietz ($298,136, up 11 percent); associate commissioner Mark Rudner ($247,821, up 3 percent); and associate commissioner Rick Boyages ($241,132, up 1 percent). Traviolia and Dietz accrued deferred compensation for a supplemental non-qualified retirement plan.

In addition, the Big Ten reported spending $2.3 million on legal services with Mayer Brown LLP. That's up from $1.1 million in 2013-14. The Big Ten spent about $5.1 million in legal costs over four years from 2011-12 to 2014-15. The Big Ten, like other conferences, has been a defendant in lawsuits over changing the NCAA rules restricting college athletes from being paid. That's the one place in college sports where the market doesn't dictate compensation amounts.

"The Conference is subject to certain legal proceedings and claims which have arisen in the ordinary course of its operations," the Big Ten wrote on its recent tax return. "In the opinion of the Conference's officials, the proceedings and claims will not have a material impact on the Conference's financial position or results of activities."

Reaction Score

The Big Ten nearly caught up to the SEC in 2014-15, paying out its longstanding members $32.4 million each two seasons ago

The Big Ten generated $448.8 million in revenue during 2014-15, a 32-percent increase over one year for college sports' second-wealthiest conference behind the SEC.

In the first year with Maryland and Rutgers as members -- coinciding with the debut of the College Football Playoff -- the Big Ten took in $110 million more than in 2013-14, according to tax records provided Wednesday to CBS Sports. The league paid its 11 longstanding members about $32.4 million each.

That's on par with the SEC's payout of $32.7 million and considerably more than the Pac-12 ($25.1 million) and Big 12 ($23.3 million). The SEC generated $527.4 million in revenue last year. The ACC is the only major conference yet to release its tax records.

The money will only increase for the Big Ten, which is separating itself financially with the SEC from the other Power Five conferences. Last month, SportsBusiness Journal reported the Big Ten is close to signing a deal with Fox for half of its media rights at a value of $250 million a year over six years. The second half of the TV deal will show exactly how wealthy the Big Ten will be.

One of the major questions in the ongoing negotiations is whether the Big Ten will still have a major presence on ESPN. SportsBusiness Journal reported that ESPN offered a low bid for the Big Ten rights. ESPN has said it wants to remain partners with the Big Ten for a long time.

"We're interested in having great partners that have great platforms who are interested in marketing and promotion," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday at the Big Ten spring meetings, according to the Detroit Free-Press. "The market will decide what happens. It's a new day, and we've approached it that way."

In the latest tax return, Delany was credited with $2.6 million in total compensation. That's down from nearly $3.4 million in 2013-14, when Delany received a $1 million bonus and was credited with $833,333 as deferred payment from previous years.

Last year, Delany's salary was $1,905,436 (down about $151,000 from 2013-14). He also received $273,900 in deferred compensation, $42,100 in other reportable compensation, and $40,964 in nontaxable benefits.

Delany's compensation total means Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott likely remained the highest-paid commissioner in 2014-15. Earlier Wednesday, the Pac-12's tax return showed Scott became the first $4 million-a-year commissioner at $4.05 million. Then-SEC commissioner Mike Slive received $3.6 million, and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby made $2.6 million.

Penn State was back to being fully funded by the Big Ten after getting docked almost $3 million a year earlier due to NCAA sanctions. The Big Ten's three newest members are on different paths toward receiving full shares: Maryland ($24.1 million), Nebraska ($19.8 million) and Rutgers ($10.5 million).

Maryland also received an $11.6 million loan from the Big Ten. Maryland settled a lawsuit with the ACC and agreed to pay $31 million in exit fees to leave for the Big Ten.

Rutgers did not experience a major financial jump by moving to the Big Ten -- at least not yet. It went from $8.3 million in the American Athletic Conference to $10.5 million in the Big Ten. More significant money is eventually coming, but for 2014-15, Rutgers got paid more like a Group of Five school than a Power Five school.

The Big Ten reported $21.5 million in 2014-15 income from investment in the Big Ten Network, up from $12.4 million a year earlier. Those amounts do not include annual rights fees the Big Ten receives from the network. Fox owns 51 percent of the Big Ten Network.

The Big Ten's net assets as of June 30, 2015, were $63.7 million. That was up from $52.1 million a year earlier.

Big Ten deputy commissioner Brad Traviolia remained the conference office's second-highest paid employee at $464,879 in total compensation, up 19 percent from 2013-14. Other high-paid employees: chief communication officer Diane Dietz ($298,136, up 11 percent); associate commissioner Mark Rudner ($247,821, up 3 percent); and associate commissioner Rick Boyages ($241,132, up 1 percent). Traviolia and Dietz accrued deferred compensation for a supplemental non-qualified retirement plan.

In addition, the Big Ten reported spending $2.3 million on legal services with Mayer Brown LLP. That's up from $1.1 million in 2013-14. The Big Ten spent about $5.1 million in legal costs over four years from 2011-12 to 2014-15. The Big Ten, like other conferences, has been a defendant in lawsuits over changing the NCAA rules restricting college athletes from being paid. That's the one place in college sports where the market doesn't dictate compensation amounts.

"The Conference is subject to certain legal proceedings and claims which have arisen in the ordinary course of its operations," the Big Ten wrote on its recent tax return. "In the opinion of the Conference's officials, the proceedings and claims will not have a material impact on the Conference's financial position or results of activities."

We know the B1G is doing great. Is there some other purpose you hope to serve by posting this? Unless we're going to the B1G (and you post continually that ain't happening), why should we care? Me thinks you're just another troll. Go away and get on some other board where you can tout the B1G's great success, in spite of adding Rutgers.

Reaction Score
When did I ever say UConn wasn't going to the B1G?

What I have said is that UConn would be in the B1G if Delany decides that is the best move for the conference, which means it would need to make financial sense. I have never said UConn won't be in the B1G.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Is the Big Ten Ready to Break Away From ESPN?

"I still believe that the Big Ten ends up working out some sort of deal with ESPN, though it'll be much smaller than it currently is...and I suspect that they'll be sharing the rights with another partner. I don't think it'll be an online platform; that would be an extremely risky move for the Big Ten. I do forsee that the next Big Ten media deal will include an streaming platform that will make all of the Big Ten's televised games, irregardless of network - whether it's Fox, BTN, CBS or ESPN - available to non-cable subscribers, ala MLB.tv. In fact, I would expect that MLB's digital arm (reportedly soon to be part of the Disney/ESPN empire) to be a key player in the Big Ten's digital rights package."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom