B1G TV Negotiations | The Boneyard

B1G TV Negotiations

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Wow. This is on top of the B1G network which I believe Fox owns 51% of. Huge scoop for Fox if true

Drew

Reaction Score
"Fox is close to signing a deal that gives it half of the Big Ten’s available media rights package, according to several sources. Deal terms still are flexible – both in terms of money and rights. However, the two sides have agreed on basic terms that will give Fox the rights to around 25 football games and 50 basketball games that it will carry on both the broadcast channel and FS1 starting in the fall of '17. The deal runs six years and could cost Fox as much as $250M per year, depending on the amount of rights the Big Ten conference puts in its second package."

http://www.sportsbus...19/Big-Ten.aspx

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The entire seven-year AAC deal looks like it will amount to 1/4th of the Big Ten's yearly network haul....before the Big Ten Network.

The line between the haves and the have-nots will be drawn behind the Big Ten and SEC.

The second line will be drawn behind the have-nots in the ACC, Big 12 and Pac 12 to delineate between the have-nots and the got-nothings.

Reaction Score
The entire seven-year AAC deal looks like it will amount to 1/4th of the Big Ten's yearly network haul....before the Big Ten Network.

The line between the haves and the have-nots will be drawn behind the Big Ten and SEC.

The second line will be drawn behind the have-nots in the ACC, Big 12 and Pac 12 to delineate between the have-nots and the got-nothings.

Surely ESPN losing the B1G would free up some money to renegotiate the current American Athlet- bwahaha sorry, I'm just yanking your crank.

Reaction Score
I don't think ESPN loses the B1G. Keep in mind that the Fox deal is only for 1/2 of the Tier 1 rights to the B1G. I expect ESPN will either pony up the $$$ for the other half, or at least a good chunk of it. CBS Sports currently has some basketball games. Let's see what they offer. NBC might make a push for a piece of the pie. ESPN needs the B1G for ratings. That's why I think the other half - or most of it - will go to ESPN.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I don't think ESPN loses the B1G. Keep in mind that the Fox deal is only for 1/2 of the Tier 1 rights to the B1G. I expect ESPN will either pony up the $$$ for the other half, or at least a good chunk of it. CBS Sports currently has some basketball games. Let's see what they offer. NBC might make a push for a piece of the pie. ESPN needs the B1G for ratings. That's why I think the other half - or most of it - will go to ESPN.
I don't think that the B1G wants to lose its ESPN connection. Everyone knows the favoritism that ESPN shows toward its partners and while the B1G doesn't need much help, perception is reality. I would not be surprised to see the remainder split between 2 or even 3 networks. I'm really curious to see how an expanded portfolio of games would be compensated on these contracts, which I guess is what we really care about anyway.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
After reading this news, there is no doubt in my mind now that Texas is going to keep every penny from their inflated LHN until they absolutely have to drop it (i.e. join the B1G or SEC). There is 0% chance they are giving up their big fish in a little pond advantage they have without going into one of the Humungous Two conferences. That's probably the reason why we've had a complete 180 reversal from the B12 in the last few days regarding CCG and expansion, I think. OU and KU are gone and half of the ACC will be too. I think we are strong enough to merge into a "best of the rest" conference that would consist of ACC and B12 leftovers with some AAC and BYU.

Geez, that is some serious bank. Friendly reminder that Rutgers...yes, Rutgers...is now a member of Rockefeller Two. Location, location, location.

Reaction Score
After reading this news, there is no doubt in my mind now that Texas is going to keep every penny from their inflated LHN until they absolutely have to drop it (i.e. join the B1G or SEC). There is 0% chance they are giving up their big fish in a little pond advantage they have without going into one of the Humungous Two conferences. That's probably the reason why we've had a complete 180 reversal from the B12 in the last few days regarding CCG and expansion, I think. OU and KU are gone and half of the ACC will be too. I think we are strong enough to merge into a "best of the rest" conference that would consist of ACC and B12 leftovers with some AAC and BYU.

Geez, that is some serious bank. Friendly reminder that Rutgers...yes, Rutgers...is now a member of Rockefeller Two. Location, location, location.

I agree on everything except that KU is gone. To where? They are useless to the B1g. OU to the SEC. The B1g will expand southeast. KU is back to the Mountain West or the new American. Welcome to our world, Rock Chalk.

Reaction Score
I haven't read the details of the deal but I have to believe there is no way they get close $250 mil on the second half of their rights. But here is a way to up the value: add UConn. NBC would love UConn hoops and probably prefer football over the bottom third of the Big10. Give UConn a share of only the second tier revenue until the next contract. We could provide a legit market, a ton of content, at half the cost, and would add immediate value to the second tier.

Reaction Score
UConn may as well.
just drop sports , the P5 was always a dubious destination for us,but it's apparently become a hopeless cause.
Farewell Boneyard.
What is the point of having a sports discussion board without teams?

Drew

Reaction Score

interesting point in regards to FS1. I think this is equally as big for FS1/2 as it is for FOX. Will be curious to see if FOX goes after the 2nd half of the Tier 1 and the Tier 2 also or if ESPN/NBC sacks up and offers something. Unfortunately, I don't believe CBS to be a threat for much besides the hoops coverage they already have

Reaction Score

The biggest problem will be getting casual fans to watch either league and paying for that privilege. It's going to have to be pay-per-view to sustain that amount.

Reaction Score
Why is a game between Illinois and Indiana worth 50x a game between Cincinnati and UConn?

For the same reason a 1br apt in NYC is 50x a 4000 sf home in Detroit.

Btw, this can't be good news for B12

Reaction Score
Why is a game between Illinois and Indiana worth 50x a game between Cincinnati and UConn?
Because with that game you also get MSU-UM; OSU -UM, etc.
What does Uconn-Cinci get you access to? Temple-Houston? UCF-USF?
Sometimes you have to acquire some weak things to get the bigger prize. The AAC has no guaranteed ratings blockbuster games. In any sport.

Reaction Score
Conference realignment is not over. After an earthquake of this magnitude there will certainly be aftershock. Some one has to react. Either a university, a league, or a network. In one deal, the B1g left huge players in its wake. All of a sudden, Fox has become a player. Someone will blink. You see it all the time on a Wall Street. Google bought double click and yahoo immediately responded. Different business here, but the same logic prevails.

Reaction Score

interesting point in regards to FS1. I think this is equally as big for FS1/2 as it is for FOX. Will be curious to see if FOX goes after the 2nd half of the Tier 1 and the Tier 2 also or if ESPN/NBC sacks up and offers something. Unfortunately, I don't believe CBS to be a threat for much besides the hoops coverage they already have

Could this force ESPN to start an ACC network now in an effort to save their content?

Reaction Score
Could this force ESPN to start an ACC network now in an effort to save their content?

I don't think so. First, there is no demand for an ACC Network. Second, if ESPN needs content, it needs it to fill ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU. If ESPN is losing games to other channels, that means it needs even more games to air on the channels it already owns. Starting another channel would be counterproductive. I don't think an ACC Network could get carriage statewide in any state other than Virginia and North Carolina. Every other state in the ACC Footprint is a second fiddle school to a school in either the SEC or B1G, and in both cases those states already have the BTN or SEC Network respectively.

Reaction Score
Best case scenario, in my opinion, is the B1G's TV contract entices some ACC teams to challenge the GOR and jump for what is looking like $50M a year in TV revenue. Who knows if the ACC will even backfill, but at least there would be another opportunity for Susan to try and get us in a conference.

Reaction Score

They already have a good chunk of ACC content for their primary channels. The problem with the ACCN is that other people own much of the ACC's T3 and basketball content, so there's not enough content to start an ACCN.

Reaction Score
From other articles I read, here is who is vying for a piece of the remaining 50% of games:

ESPN/ABC
CBS
NBC
Turner Sports

CBS has stated it would like to renew its current agreement for basketball games. Currently, CBS pays $12 million a year for the package of basketball games it airs. I'm not sure how many games that includes, but ESPN and BTN also air a boatload of B1G basketball games. I would assume that number would need to double if they want to keep that same package going forward.

Drew

Reaction Score
From other articles I read, here is who is vying for a piece of the remaining 50% of games:

ESPN/ABC
CBS
NBC
Turner Sports

CBS has stated it would like to renew its current agreement for basketball games. Currently, CBS pays $12 million a year for the package of basketball games it airs. I'm not sure how many games that includes, but ESPN and BTN also air a boatload of B1G basketball games. I would assume that number would need to double if they want to keep that same package going forward.

I would venture to guess CBS will pay whatever it takes to keep those basketball games. Without the B1G games all they have I believe is AAC and SEC which outside of Kentucky won't draw squat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom