B1G TV Negotiations | Page 6 | The Boneyard

B1G TV Negotiations

Reaction Score
Jesus.

Do you understand ESPN's strength relative to Fox Sports 1?

Yes, of course I do.

jesus-shuttlesworth-screenshot.png

pj

Reaction Score
ESPN is a media business and they understand the value of promotion. Their "news" division promotes the properties they own (ACC, SEC) and ignores others. Once Delany created BTN with Fox, he became permanently aligned with Fox, and any ESPN promotion of the B1G is going to promote Fox as well. So ESPN is going to low-bid any B1G content so that the discounted price makes up for the benefit to its competitor.

ESPN could still get the content if there is not a second bidder, but if NBC comes in for B1G football and CBS for B1G basketball as a second bidder, then ESPN could very well get frozen out.

Presumably the Fox bid for the first tranche gets adjusted downward to match the price for the second tranche. So it is really ESPN vs NBC determining B1G revenue.

Reaction Score
We know the B1G is doing great. Is there some other purpose you hope to serve by posting this? Unless we're going to the B1G (and you post continually that ain't happening), why should we care? Me thinks you're just another troll. Go away and get on some other board where you can tout the B1G's great success, in spite of adding Rutgers.
Big Ten Conference revenues rise 33% in one year

"Based on reports from other conferences that approximate their bowl revenue increases from the CFP, it is likely that $50 million to $60 million of the Big Ten's "Sports Revenue" increase is attributable to the TV rights fee increases that resulted from adding Maryland and Rutgers."

Reaction Score

"Based on reports from other conferences that approximate their bowl revenue increases from the CFP, it is likely that $50 million to $60 million of the Big Ten's "Sports Revenue" increase is attributable to the TV rights fee increases that resulted from adding Maryland and Rutgers."

A Rutgers fan blowing their own horn. Do that on your own board. Get lost.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wow, check- -mate. Great job out there, pour yourself an extra one tonight because you were able to call someone a tool on the internet.

You go around here ripping people for stating opinions all the time. It must be exhausting constantly searching for an opportunity to be so contrarian all the time.

There isn't anything "wrong" with the idea that I am putting out there: that if FS1 can get their hands on some quality, live-content that they have a fighting chance with ESPN.

Or maybe it's my assertion that Cable News and Cable Sports are analogous that you think is "wrong?"

Well let's see, what is an analogy?

"A comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification."

Cable News and Cable Sports networks are structured in the same way in that they rely equally on live content and original programming to drive ratings.

Presidential Debates and Election Night coverage are huge boons for CNN just like Monday Night Football is for ESPN.

Original programming like Hannity on FOX News and PTI on ESPN are also major ratings drivers.

So yes, I would say they are pretty darn analogous.

But hey, I get it, it's easier to just call people a tool and walk away from a debate then to actually engage.

LOL - you hurl insults and then talk about a mispelling. Yeah that is someone that is worth engaging.

I'm sorry that you don't get why the analogy doesn't work: but it's pretty simple - you can't compare election results to MNF. MNF is property who's rights are owned by a single broadcasting entity for a period of time. Anyone with a studio can broadcast election results.

Sports programming is different than any other proramming: You can copy zombie shows, you can copy morning talk, you can copy news.... unless you can invent new sports that millions of people want to watch on TV it isn't a proper analogy. Now you can tell me why for the 10th time why it is because you refuse to accept this fact.

Reaction Score
The way ESPN insulates itself is through talk shows and Sportscenter. Take a look at the weekly ratings. Look at what the big draws are. ESPN is much more interested in having enough live sports so that people reflexively come back to watch Sportscenter. This is why they sunk hundreds of millions into the Sportscenter studios.

Live sports are just a feeder for the real ratings winners.

Reaction Score
LOL - you hurl insults and then talk about a mispelling. Yeah that is someone that is worth engaging.

I'm sorry that you don't get why the analogy doesn't work: but it's pretty simple - you can't compare election results to MNF. MNF is property who's rights are owned by a single broadcasting entity for a period of time. Anyone with a studio can broadcast election results.

Sports programming is different than any other proramming: You can copy zombie shows, you can copy morning talk, you can copy news.... unless you can invent new sports that millions of people want to watch on TV it isn't a proper analogy. Now you can tell me why for the 10th time why it is because you refuse to accept this fact.

Yes you continue to "make friends" all over these boards today.

Let me try to explain in simple terms what most of us do here. We use these boards as an escape from a sometimes difficult and hectic life. We also willingly live in a land of hope and delusion about our CR situation because if we keep mentioning our minimal chances of ever getting an invite, like you love to do, it would probably cause us to just crawl in a hole for 9 months and go to the games and feel like MAC fans feel, whatever that is.

People usually post an opinion, a link to an article or a tweet or something funny to try and lighten the mood. You on the other hand post to BE RIGHT! That's it. You are smarter than all of us stupid people and you live to tell us.

What I just posted is really not debatable. There is too much proof to back it up. It's too bad you have zero humility and will never see what many others see. It's not easy being you, that I'm sure of.

Reaction Score

No analogy is perfect by virtue of the fact that they are analogies and not carbon copies.

But to take what we are discussing a step further, Cable News Networks get exclusive rights to Presidential Debates, interviews etc etc. That is live content that results in gangbuster ratings much of the same way that MNF and other live sporting contests are for Cable sports.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes you continue to "make friends" all over these boards today.

Let me try to explain in simple terms what most of us do here. We use these boards as an escape from a sometimes difficult and hectic life. We also willingly live in a land of hope and delusion about our CR situation because if we keep mentioning our minimal chances of ever getting an invite, like you love to do, it would probably cause us to just crawl in a hole for 9 months and go to the games and feel like MAC fans feel, whatever that is.

People usually post an opinion, a link to an article or a tweet or something funny to try and lighten the mood. You on the other hand post to BE RIGHT! That's it. You are smarter than all of us stupid people and you live to tell us.

What I just posted is really not debatable. There is too much proof to back it up. It's too bad you have zero humility and will never see what many others see. It's not easy being you, that I'm sure of.

So you admit some stuff is delusional but get angry when someone points out it's a delusion. Whatever floats your boat - but you've bragged about blocking me a half dozen times why do you keep unblocking me? I guess it's hard to be me - but I don't need to believe message board fantasies to get through the day....

If someone wants to say Colorado State to the AAC! and has no interest in hearing why that's a silly idea they can block or not read.

I'm sorry that you and some others aren't completely surrounded by only like minded people who post and think in the exact same fashion. There are no shortage of people who do - so I don't get why y'all keep replying to me.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So you admit some stuff is delusional but get angry when someone points out it's a delusion. Whatever floats your boat - but you've bragged about blocking me a half dozen times why do you keep unblocking me? I guess it's hard to be me - but I don't need to believe message board fantasies to get through the day....

If someone wants to say Colorado State to the AAC! and has no interest in hearing why that's a silly idea they can block or not read.

I'm sorry that you and some others aren't completely surrounded by only like minded people who post and think in the exact same fashion. There are no shortage of people who do - so I don't get why y'all keep replying to me.

The best approach to dealing with the cantankerous "know it all" is to ignore him. And he even said so, "why y'all keep replying to me."

That's my community service tip of the day. The more you know.....

Now who has a 1/2 baked, highly speculative and wholly without sources thought on UConn and the B1Gtv negotiation they'd like to share?

Reaction Score
I have a question...

Would regular visitors like Michigan, tOSU, Oklahoma, and perhaps even Texas, do anything for raising the interest in high school and college football in New England? As in, making new fans of the sport among the youngsters.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The way ESPN insulates itself is through talk shows and Sportscenter. Take a look at the weekly ratings. Look at what the big draws are. ESPN is much more interested in having enough live sports so that people reflexively come back to watch Sportscenter. This is why they sunk hundreds of millions into the Sportscenter studios.

Live sports are just a feeder for the real ratings winners.

Sportscenter's has had declining ratings for years, down another 6% in the last year. That's a pretty wobbly tentpole.

Reaction Score

What I get from the article is that Maryland was considered 2 1/2 times more valuable than Rutroh when they were added in 2014. Since then Rutroh has stumbled and bumbled it way into the pantheon of dumpster fires. The B1G expected better then it got - no doubt.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have a question...

Would regular visitors like Michigan, tOSU, Oklahoma, and perhaps even Texas, do anything for raising the interest in high school and college football in New England? As in, making new fans of the sport among the youngsters.

Pre-concussion issues yes. Today the game might change so much in high schools it's hard to guess.

Reaction Score
I guess you guys don't watch Squawk Box. The pros are not dumping a valuable asset owned by the mouse

Reaction Score
I guess you guys don't watch Squawk Box. The pros are not dumping a valuable asset owned by the mouse

I don't watch Squawk Box, and I have no idea what you are talking about. Who is the mouse?

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I have a question...

no question it would.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
I have a question...

Very good question. I am of the age where my social circle is made up of parents of middle schoolers/young high schoolers. While I have only girls (swimming and softball are their choice of participation sports), many of my friends have boys that play sports. My friends are sports fans and one is even a UConn Football season ticket holder with me. We've discussed their boys "choice" of sports in the past and while they've never said no to their boys playing football, most of them have actively steered them in the direction of baseball/basketball/soccer/lacrosse OR anything but football. The recent studies of concussions have weighed heavily on these discussions/decisions so I would say the answer to your question is no.

My friends certainly understand that injuries happen in all sports and they enjoy watching football and taking their kids to football games (as I have done with my girls), but encouraging their sons to play football? - no. I have to believe my circle of friends is not much different than most in the area - except for some hot pockets of football like the Naugatuck Valley - but even if UConn entertained regular high profile programs like those mentioned in your question, I believe football would stay at the same level of interest - for participation.

For drawing fans to UConn games? Those regular top-level visitors would certainly increase UConn football's interest level and attendance. I never had trouble getting my friends to come to the top level games we've hosted at The Rent. Fans from other areas of the country just can't understand how popular UConn is in the region and unfortunately, how much being left behind in the AAC hurt our football attendance. If we returned to a higher level of football conference as we were a short few years ago, I have no doubt we would be filling our stadium again with higher profile teams coming in.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
For drawing fans to UConn games? Those regular top-level visitors would certainly increase UConn football's interest level and attendance. I never had trouble getting my friends to come to the top level games we've hosted at The Rent. Fans from other areas of the country just can't understand how popular UConn is in the region and unfortunately, how much being left behind in the AAC hurt our football attendance. If we returned to a higher level of football conference as we were a short few years ago, I have no doubt we would be filling our stadium again with higher profile teams coming in.

I totally understand this argument but then I look to the Houston game last year where we are 5-5, have to win to get into a bowl for the first time since 2011, and it was Senior night against an undefeated top 15 team in the country in November, and the Rent was half full. That is the kind of thing that hurts us more than anything when it comes to "perception" from the outside world. I get it- Houston isn't "regional" but nationally UH is far ahead of BC, Cuse, or any of the regional teams. And even recently we didn't sell out home games for Maryland, NC State, Navy, Any of the openers the past few seasons, etc.

Like it or not, with us being on the outside looking in, we are held to a higher standard to be included in the P5 schools. The American still has some extremely quality football being played and the fact that we haven't had a sellout since the Michigan game (yes, I know our struggles on the field) despite hosting teams like Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, ECU, USF, Louisville, and Rutgers since then doesn't help our perception nationwide.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I totally understand this argument but then I look to the Houston game last year where we are 5-5, have to win to get into a bowl for the first time since 2011, and it was Senior night against an undefeated top 15 team in the country in November, and the Rent was half full. That is the kind of thing that hurts us more than anything when it comes to "perception" from the outside world. I get it- Houston isn't "regional" but nationally UH is far ahead of BC, Cuse, or any of the regional teams. And even recently we didn't sell out home games for Maryland, NC State, Navy, Any of the openers the past few seasons, etc.

Like it or not, with us being on the outside looking in, we are held to a higher standard to be included in the P5 schools. The American still has some extremely quality football being played and the fact that we haven't had a sellout since the Michigan game (yes, I know our struggles on the field) despite hosting teams like Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, ECU, USF, Louisville, and Rutgers since then doesn't help our perception nationwide.

Thats honest, thats fair. People don't want to see it for what it is. New Englanders are fickle and a little tight with their wad.

Of course, I expect people here to put the best spin they can on the attendance and thats fine too.

Reaction Score
I don't watch Squawk Box, and I have no idea what you are talking about. Who is the mouse?
Google both it shouldn't take a smart guy like you to figure out you should bypass computer mouse jargon and get to the answer

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Drew I agree with everything you said. Your comments were fair and accurate but I'd equate increasing UConn's football attendance to turning an aircraft carrier...it does not happen quickly.

We all know between being relegated to the AAC and the PP era UConn football hit rock bottom 3 years ago. Excitement around UConn football and fan interest was at an all time low. However, last year was a big rebound. UConn may have been a 500 team but they played competitive football and made it to a bowl. That said, IMO it takes a year or 2 to rebuild fan interest...fan interest does not respond as quickly as the on the field play. This year should see the attendance bump.

It seems to me this year there is more of a buzz around UConn football which hopefully will translate into better attendance. UConn has great home games against traditional rivals like Cuse and travel-able away games like BC. HCBD's enthusiasm seems to be catching on and I think UConn football is positioned to take another step forward. The UConn fan's psyches are still very fragile but a break out year could really pull us out of the PP era funk.

If UConn goes 8-4 this year and wins a bowl game a lot of the discussion around UConn football being a "hopeless disaster" ends. That said, a step back would really really hurt momentum. UConn does not have the established traditional football muscle memory of a Nebraska so a few bad years are especially damaging. I honestly believe UConn can build a very competitive and well attended football program but that starts with several years of winning to build that football tradition in CT. We are not there yet but that does not mean we cannot get there.

We've listen to programs like Memphis and Houston tout last year's results as a reason why they should be a P5 expansion choice. If UConn football can produce a result like that this year we will be on our way to a P5 conference (assuming we are not already in one by then) and may even have multiple suitors.

IMO this is the most important football season in UConn's history...this year is double or nothing for UConn.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score

It's not that Houston isn't "regional", it's that Houston isn't the schools (Michigan, tOSU, Oklahoma, Texas) mentioned in the original question on which I based my answer. When we were playing well in the Big East and had "known" conference teams like WVU, Pitt, etc. coming into The Rent, we drew high 30's and even had sellouts. Imagine if we were in a P5 league with a big-name school or two coming into town every year.

I agree and we certainly need to work on that perception, but trying to sell my non-CFB buddies into coming to an ECU game is going to require more time for the program to right itself and a better sales job from me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Drew I agree with everything you said. Your comments were fair and accurate but I'd equate increasing UConn's football attendance to turning an aircraft carrier...it does not happen quickly.

If we got into the B12, we will fill the Rent overnight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom