Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide? | Page 37 | The Boneyard

Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Attendance isn't everything, if it was every recruit would be attending South Carolina (14,364) That said, if I were a recruit, I would want to know that the basketball team that I joined had a strong following. Interestingly, Texas A&M (4,867) draws more the Texas and Texas Tech (3,637) is just slightly behind............Toledo, Gonzaga, New Mexico and Middle Tennessee State all substantially outdraw Texas...........

2015/2016 Average Attendance

UConn - 8,920
ND - 8,437
Texas -3,700

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
While I realize not everyone on this board followed women's basketball back in the late 80's and early 90's, but Texas was drawing over 10,000 fans to many home games back then, and even out-drawing the struggling men's program. Obviously, mediocrity for many years changed all that.

But, hopefully, as Texas becomes a consistent Top 10 program, the fans will turn out again to support the team. Scheduling of Top 10 non-conference opponents hasn't been all that great the last couple of seasons, but that does seem to be changing (which one would expect as the players joining the Texas program are better). Better basketball, and better opponents visiting Austin will hopefully result in greater fan support in the stands.

Reaction Score
While I realize not everyone on this board followed women's basketball back in the late 80's and early 90's, but Texas was drawing over 10,000 fans to many home games back then, and even out-drawing the struggling men's program. Obviously, mediocrity for many years changed all that.

But, hopefully, as Texas becomes a consistent Top 10 program, the fans will turn out again to support the team. Scheduling of Top 10 non-conference opponents hasn't been all that great the last couple of seasons, but that does seem to be changing (which one would expect as the players joining the Texas program are better). Better basketball, and better opponents visiting Austin will hopefully result in greater fan support in the stands.

Not trying to disparage Texas, I have no doubt that they will get better crowds when the play better quality basketball this year, still let's just say that in the past 20 years there have been many other college WBB programs with far superior fan support............in UConn's case, I think many would trade being a football power instead of a women's basketball power but that's not happening any time soon!!!!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Screenshot_2016-10-15-01-48-07-1.png

Reaction Score
Attendance isn't everything, if it was every recruit would be attending South Carolina (14,364) That said, if I were a recruit, I would want to know that the basketball team that I joined had a strong following. Interestingly, Texas A&M (4,867) draws more the Texas and Texas Tech (3,637) is just slightly behind..Toledo, Gonzaga, New Mexico and Middle Tennessee State all substantially outdraw Texas......

UConn - 8,920
ND - 8,437
Texas -3,700
South Carolina might led in attendance but it only cost $8.00 a ticket and only $4.00 if you buy 15 or more. Season tickets cost $60.00 and $75.00 a year. I doubt they would beat Uconn in attendance if they paid Connecticut prices.

Reaction Score
South Carolina might led in attendance but it only cost $8.00 a ticket and only $4.00 if you buy 15 or more. Season tickets cost $60.00 and $75.00 a year. I doubt they would beat Uconn in attendance if they paid Connecticut prices.
I work in CT on and off. While there I check ticket prices in the hopes I can attend a game in person. WOW!
I can't touch the cost to get decent seats, even in my dreams.
In the mid 70s and early 80s there were about 10 to 20 of us in the old wooden bleachers in the field house. GREAT seats!
Now I watch on tv, even when in CT.
If ticket prices were even close to affordable, I'd be there. I know attendance would be through the roof. SC numbers would be crushed.
By the way, my heart hurts when I see all the empty premium season seats on national tv. Always thought that that was a crime. Normal people would kill for those seats.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

We don't have to charge "Connecticut prices" for women's basketball tickets, we have college football for that.. Eventually prices for tickets will rise (maybe a little, maybe a lot) and there will be disapproval from fans being "priced out", but for now we don't have to pursue that option so why should we?

No matter how good South Carolina becomes we'll never charge "Connecticut prices" for basketball tickets because college football is the money maker. Very few programs actually make money from basketball, just like very few athletic departments actually operate "in the black" at the end of the fiscal year. South Carolina is one of the athletic departments that does operate in black, but not because of basketball.. so you'll never see overly expensive basketball tickets at South Carolina because it doesn't HAVE to be a moneymaker. It's nice if it does make money, but it doesn't have to. Football bankrolls our entire athletic department and even gives money back to the school.

This seems to be a major gripe with some of you. Maybe your athletic department should consider more economical season ticket options.

Then again, you shouldn't expect economical when you're buying a Lamborghini.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Texas attendance will be improving a lot with the WBB on the rise. The improvement in the team has happened so fast, I don't think the public has caught up with it yet. Texas draws nearly a sell out to every home Women's volleyball game. The volleyball team has built quite a tradition the last few years, been to the last 4 or 5 final fours. WBB has long, deep roots in Texas. (My grandmother was playing basketball around 1915.) Every little town in this vast state has a girls' team that is on the same level as the boys' team in terms of community support. Surprisingly, there was never really any obvious sexism about it. It's just something girls did. In some towns, the girls eclipse the boys. In the 1950's, there were the famous "Flying Queens" of Wayland College, which was a veritable girls' Globetrotters. As mentioned above, UT drew crowds of 10,000 for big games back in the 80's. Along with Tennessee and LaTech, UT was among the first to really push women's sports after Title IX. Obviously, we haven't had a WBB culture like UConn for the last 20 years. But I think it's coming if we keep improving. Love of football runs very deep, but it's been hard to think of UT as a football power for quite some time now. People are looking for something else, and basketball is the ticket. Shaka Smart is doing for the men's team what Karen Aston is doing for the women's.

Reaction Score
We don't have to charge "Connecticut prices" for women's basketball tickets, we have college football for that.. Eventually prices for tickets will rise and there will be disapproval from fans being "priced out", but for now we don't have to pursue that option so why should we?

No matter how good South Carolina becomes we'll never charge "Connecticut prices" for basketball tickets because college football is the money maker. Football bankrolls our entire athletic department and even gives money back to the school.

This seems to be a major gripe with some of you. Maybe your athletic department should consider more economical season ticket options.

Then again, you shouldn't expect economical when you're buying a Lamborghini.
I just pointed out facts and that is all. You didnt dispute any of it. Seems like you have the problem. I have no problem paying Connectcut prices by the way!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I just pointed out facts and that is all. You didnt dispute any of it. Seems like you have the problem. I have no problem paying Connectcut prices by the way!

There was nothing to dispute because you weren't wrong. BUT, you stated facts without any understanding of why it is the way it is (I can tell because of your false allegation towards the end).

So I don't have a problem. Like you said, we only pay $75 for season tickets and $8 for general admission.

I pointed out facts as well. There's a reason your ticket prices are the way they are at Connecticut. Basketball is your prized sport.. it's how your athletic department makes money. That's not the case at South Carolina. Basketball is popular here but it's not the moneymaker.. it's still a niche sport for our fanbase.

You're dealing with a different fanbase here.. for example, baseball season tickets are more expensive at South Carolina than women's basketball season tickets are.. More often than not we actually make money off baseball at South Carolina. I'm sure that's not the case at Connecticut. That's how different our schools are.

I say all of this to illustrate that if basketball was the prize sport at South Carolina like it is at Connecticut then our season tickets would be similarly priced, our fanbase would have no problem paying for them and we'd have similar if not better attendance (contrary to what you originally stated)... after all, our football stadium seats 80,000, we average over 75,000 fans per game and we sell 50,000 football season tickets per year (at $350+ a piece, plus the seat donation/booster club membership fee).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was nothing to dispute because you weren't wrong. BUT, you stated facts without any understanding of why it is the way it is (I can tell because of your false allegation towards the end).

I say all of this to illustrate that if basketball was the prize sport at South Carolina like it is at Connecticut then our season tickets would be similarly priced, our fanbase would have no problem paying for them and we'd have similar if not better attendance (contrary to what you originally stated)... after all, our football stadium seats 80,000, we average over 75,000 fans per game and we sell 50,000 football season tickets per year (at $350+ a piece, plus the seat donation/booster club membership fee).

I bet you'd like the SC football team to be as successful as the WBB team...................if I'm not mistaken there hasn't been much excitement on the football field since Spurrier left town in 2015.............

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I bet you'd like the SC football team to be as successful as the WBB team....if I'm not mistaken there hasn't been much excitement on the football field since Spurrier left town in 2015...

No kidding. I love college football more than anything.. but I've been apathetic towards it the last few years with our team being so bad. I barely watch it on Saturdays and just wait for the highlights instead.. if SC plays then I'll watch but I don't expect us to win. The bittersweet positive in all of this is that with football being down it has really helped our WBB program gain exposure.. it's the winning program on campus right now so all eyes in Columbia are on Dawn's team.

Reaction Score
Attendance isn't everything, if it was every recruit would be attending South Carolina (14,364) That said, if I were a recruit, I would want to know that the basketball team that I joined had a strong following. Interestingly, Texas A&M (4,867) draws more the Texas and Texas Tech (3,637) is just slightly behind..Toledo, Gonzaga, New Mexico and Middle Tennessee State all substantially outdraw Texas......

UConn - 8,920
ND - 8,437
Texas -3,700

I like the HORN Toads for obvious reasons--and then they are so classy they wear Uniforms to the games. As well as OK State and the Sooners (better than laters). Charlie what is the OU (Sooners ) attendance?

Reaction Score
I bet you'd like the SC football team to be as successful as the WBB team....if I'm not mistaken there hasn't been much excitement on the football field since Spurrier left town in 2015...

And of a UC fan you could replace USC above for UC---but what Football team would not want to be that successful---heck, any College sport ?????

Reaction Score
MW is simply waiting for the BY's views to reach 100,000 a record that will never be broken.

Reaction Score

The interesting thing is ---Uconn didn't charge UCONN PRICES until they won an NC or 2.
If I were an USC fan speaking of price of tickets---I'd NEVER say NEVER--of course inherent in that is --USC has to win an NC or 2 before never happens.

Reaction Score
MW is simply waiting for the BY's views to reach 100,000 a record that will never be broken.
A Uconn type kid---she wants to break records--and Geno has a few he want's to break himself--(all his).

Reaction Score
I like the HORN Toads for obvious reasons--and then they are so classy they wear Uniforms to the games. As well as OK State and the Sooners (better than laters). Charlie what is the OU (Sooners ) attendance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom