Andre Jackson Press conference 7/1/23 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson Press conference 7/1/23

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
The best part of the interview was how confidently and thoughtfully he answered the questions. Also nice to hear him use proper grammar, as I used to cringe when a former coach talked about "this great university" while saying "he have" and "they was".
As Andre matures and slows down his delivery he could have a post playing career job as an analyst on broadcasts. He really understands how to play the game and would do a great job pointing out the nuances of the game and what made a certain play special. So tired of the Dick Vitale style where the broadcasters hype the dunk but never mention the great pass that enabled it.
Hurley can be a bit cringy at times when it comes to an interview...

Reaction Score
This won't play well...

He only every averaged 6-7 points a game but he was unbelievably essential to the success of the team.

There's certain players in ever sport where their impact isn't truly represented in stats...

Andre Jackson is that guy.

He's uniquely...unique

I've been guilty of thinking the fan base might overrated him. When you watch tape again, you see the impact.

He's absolutely top 50
I suspect you touched lots of our fans nerves. He’s a very special and unique talent and person and revered by many UConn fans.

Reaction Score
I’m very impressed how well spoken he is and how highly he spoken about UConn and coaches during this interview.

He is well grounded and He also knows and has what it takes to excel at next level. I sincerely think when all is said and done, he may have a better career than Draymond Green, but of course I’m a big fan. He will surprise lots of people in NBA.

He is definitely in my top 15 of UConn greatest players list.
Totally agree. Sky’s the limit for this extraordinary young man. We will be watching closely.

Reaction Score
I agree with your comparison from the standpoint that Henefeld's team was a great TEAM, great in passing, depth and unselfishness. I was hoping we would someday see a team like that again and that is exactly what happened. The depth allowed them to play very hard and wear down opponents so that the last 10 minutes we owned. It was psychologically unnerving to opponents to face that relentless pressure and track meet fastbreaks. There were differences of course like the Sanogo/Clingan monster team.

As far as the other poster's (BattersonB) comment below:

"Lastly, as much as I’m happy that UCONN won their 5th National Title, I haven’t lost sight of the fact that the other 4 Championship teams were much better than this one. This team didn’t even win the Big East Conference, nor did they win the Big East Tournament. In my view, they got lucky in the tournament in that all of the Top teams were knocked out and they became the perennial favorites and they won".

To call this team "lucky" is not very logical. Lucky teams don't destroy everyone who comes across their path with a minimum point differential of at least 13. No, this team just got better the longer it played. Their was nothing lucky about the Sanogo/Clingan combination or AJ's unique skills or Hawkins shooting ability or the steady play of Karaban and the bench. Most would agree that they were the best team in this tournament. Maybe not the greatest Uconn championship team but they certainly were one of the most dominant NC champions in history. Only a few are in this category of point differential. Dominant is the operative word.
Amen. Spot on! Lucky explains his thinking:)

Reaction Score
Definitely among my favorite ever huskies, a star that also did the little things for a great UConn team. Andre did the toughness & defensive things (like unsung favorites Lyman, Ricky) the infectious passing thing like The Dove or MWilliams and the highlight reel plays like Sticks or TRob, just a great choice as a favorite in so many aspects.

PS don’t feed the trolls

Reaction Score
Reading through this thread, Andre was just an ultimate team player not caring about his personal stats and doing any and everything to win.
The idea that this team " got lucky" because other teams were knocked out last year may be one of the craziest things I've read on this board.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I guess you’re entitled….Understandable if you’re new to the program, but going back decades this guy would not even be in the Top 50.

This guy is
Parks And Recreation GIF by Peacock

Reaction Score
This won't play well...

He only every averaged 6-7 points a game but he was unbelievably essential to the success of the team.

There's certain players in ever sport where their impact isn't truly represented in stats...

Andre Jackson is that guy.

He's uniquely...unique

I've been guilty of thinking the fan base might overrated him. When you watch tape again, you see the impact.

He's absolutely top 50
BattersonB clearly didn't watch any games this year. Ive said it once and I'll say it again, Andre is a Draymond Green with lights out athleticism and I would say at this point in his career may even have a better 3-point shot with only time to improve upon it. He may never average 20 points per game in a season but he's the Glue guy galore and a real scrappy player. He played with such tenacity this past year that at times Hurley needed to bring him back to reality when he was getting too scrappy in games we were winning by 30. Ultimate Uconn player with lights out fight always in him to win.

Reaction Score
BattersonB clearly didn't watch any games this year. Ive said it once and I'll say it again, Andre is a Draymond Green with lights out athleticism and I would say at this point in his career may even have a better 3-point shot with only time to improve upon it. He may never average 20 points per game in a season but he's the Glue guy galore and a real scrappy player. He played with such tenacity this past year that at times Hurley needed to bring him back to reality when he was getting too scrappy in games we were winning by 30. Ultimate Uconn player with lights out fight always in him to win.
If I had to sum up Andre Jackson in 1 play, it would be his first game back from injury against UNC Wilmington. I think that’s the play you’re referencing, up by 30 and he’s diving onto the floor for a loose ball

He will give 110% on every single play if it helps his team win. Milwaukee will love him

Reaction Score
If I had to sum up Andre Jackson in 1 play, it would be his first game back from injury against UNC Wilmington. I think that’s the play you’re referencing, up by 30 and he’s diving onto the floor for a loose ball

He will give 110% on every single play if it helps his team win. Milwaukee will love him

I’m gonna sound like all the trolls w the comparison but here’s my take: Setting the tone like this reminds me of Kobe running through his own Laker teammate Pau Gasol when The Redeem Team played Spain…

IMG_1181.gif

IMG_1182.gif

P.s. Any sympathy for the other guy lol so intense

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m gonna sound like all the trolls w the comparison but here’s my take: Setting the tone like this reminds me of Kobe running through his own Laker teammate Pau Gasol when The Redeem Team played Spain…

View attachment 89412

View attachment 89413

P.s. Any sympathy for the other guy lol so intense
Damn I'm gonna miss Andre. All time leader.

Reaction Score
Andre is loyal to his core, it’s in his DNA. Once a Huskie, always a Huskie! He basically said right after 5th title, I’ll be back to run it back if Hurley asks him.

I rate him 1000000000 out of 10 for his service. How can you be a real UConn fan if you don’t love him?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
UCONN has always had players who “were essential to their success”. Unfortunately, if you are not up on the history of UCONN Men’s Basketball, and maybe have never SEEN some of the Greats from the past you would think that Jackson is that good…Several Decades ago, UCONN’s Athletic Dept mailed out ballots to many of it’s Athletic supporters and others in which they listed the all the best players and asked us to vote for the top 50. Even back then, some of the guys who did not make that All Time Top 50 list were better than Jackson.

Lastly, as much as I’m happy that UCONN won their 5th National Title, I haven’t lost sight of the fact that the other 4 Championship teams were much better than this one. This team didn’t even win the Big East Conference, nor did they win the Big East Tournament. In my view, they got lucky in the tournament in that all of the Top teams were knocked out and they became the perennial favorites and they won.
From time to time, we all make writing mistakes. That said, I did a quick scan and located 15± items I'd mark with a red pencil if I were asked to pass judgment on matters more substantive than the word mark error first noted by somebody who took issue with your post. I won't get detailed on these matters unless you make a specific request that I do so. I have more questions about the content of your post.

In such spirit, I'm specifically requesting the names of at least half the 50 players you confidently claim as better than AJax. Maybe you are correct, and it would be a service to this forum if you would educate us. Nobody who disagrees with you should be fearful of being wrong if your assertion turns out to be correct. I certainly wouldn't object.

Because you have referred to players across the decades, I'll offer that I attended my first UConn games 60 (or 61) seasons ago. I suppose it's possible that I missed some greats who played prior to Toby Kimball, but my sense runs contrary to that.

It is also possible that this year's team was quite fortunate (if not precisely lucky) in not having to face Xavier, Marquette, Creighton, or, though I shudder to say it, Providence in the 2023 NCAA Men's Championship. These were Big East foes who played in the Tournament and defeated UConn earlier in the season. Again, maybe you are right, but I nonetheless challenge you to name names and provide details as to which better teams we were "lucky" not to face. UConn did handily defeat the overall #1 seeded team Alabama.

If you look at the various metrics that determined the top teams, UConn played in the most challenging region. The list of coaches whose teams were defeated (each by a by double-digit margin) was equally impressive. Finally, the recent NBA Draft was notably heavy with players from teams that UConn faced and defeated.

If you are using different measurements to support your opinions, I don't think it's too much for me to ask upon what basis you offer your point of view that does not appear to be widely shared by others. I'll repeat my allowance that you may be right, but if so, it's not based on anything I can see.

Overall, I'm in substantial agreement with @BigErnMcCracken in welcoming a new voice to our ever-evolving the discussion. I'm only requesting that you give us your best.

Thanks in advance. May we all benefit from your gifts, even if many here will not (and should not) bend in regarding Andre Jackson, Jr. as one of their favorite players ever.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I watched the highlight reel of Hawkins sophomore season and realized over 90% of his threes seemed to come off of Jackson passes. I also watched some of the tournament games and he's like a damn raptor once he grabbed the ball and pushed it down court. Not sure I remember a guy who pushed the ball up the court quite like him and some of the out of nowhere anticipation plays are jaw dropping.

We're really going to miss him but some other things Clingan, Newton, and Karaban I maybe didn't see at the time jumped out to me. I really think Clingan is special, as in going to be one of the best players who ever played here special.

Raptor is a perfect description. He looks exactly like a raptor bouncing up the court with those long strides and quick spurts.

Reaction Score
From time to time, we all make writing mistakes. That said, I did a quick scan and located 15± items I'd mark with a red pencil if I were asked to pass judgment on matters more substantive than the word mark error first noted by somebody who took issue with your post. I won't get detailed on these matters unless you make a specific request that I do so. I have more questions about the content of your post.

In such spirit, I'm specifically requesting the names of at least half the 50 players you confidently claim as better than AJax. Maybe you are correct, and it would be a service to this forum if you would educate us. Nobody who disagrees with you should be fearful of being wrong if your assertion turns out to be correct. I certainly wouldn't object.

Because you have referred to players across the decades, I'll offer that I attended my first UConn games 60 (or 61) seasons ago. I suppose it's possible that I missed some greats who played prior to Toby Kimball, but my sense runs contrary to that.

It is also possible that this year's team was quite fortunate (if not precisely lucky) in not having to face Xavier, Marquette, Creighton, or, though I shudder to say it, Providence in the 2023 NCAA Men's Championship. These were Big East foes who played in the Tournament and defeated UConn earlier in the season. Again, maybe you are right, but I nonetheless challenge you to name names and provide details as to which better teams we were "lucky" not to face. UConn did handily defeat the overall #1 seeded team Alabama.

If you look at the various metrics that determined the top teams, UConn played in the most challenging region. The list of coaches whose teams were defeated (each by a by double-digit margin) was equally impressive. Finally, the recent NBA Draft was notably heavy with players from teams that UConn faced and defeated.

If you are using different measurements to support your opinions, I don't think it's too much for me to ask upon what basis you offer your point of view that does not appear to be widely shared by others. I'll repeat my allowance that you may be right, but if so, it's not based on anything I can see.

Overall, I'm in substantial agreement with @BigErnMcCracken in welcoming a new voice to our ever-evolving the discussion. I'm only requesting that you give us your best.

Thanks in advance. May we all benefit from your gifts, even if many here will not (and should not) bend in regarding Andre Jackson, Jr. as one of their favorite players ever.
We did not have to face the Big East refs handicapping games for the teams you mentioned.

Reaction Score
He's gonna lift the atmosphere in Milwaukee and be a great teammate and asset. Would not be surprised they return to the finals. What a get for the Bucks.
Damn the Celtics couldn't get him.

Reaction Score
"Entitled" would be the guy trying to tell other people who they can have as a favorite player. Not really understandable...
Comprehension should accompany reading. If you bother to re-read, the first sentence says “I guess you’re entitled”….translation: One is entitled to select anyone they choose. However, when you share that information outside of the sphere of your cranium, you can expect…or you should not surprised that others respond to it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom