Andre Jackson Press conference 7/1/23 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson Press conference 7/1/23

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
UCONN has always had players who “were essential to their success”. Unfortunately, if you are not up on the history of UCONN Men’s Basketball, and maybe have never SEEN some of the Greats from the past you would think that Jackson is that good…Several Decades ago, UCONN’s Athletic Dept mailed out ballots to many of it’s Athletic supporters and others in which they listed the all the best players and asked us to vote for the top 50. Even back then, some of the guys who did not make that All Time Top 50 list were better than Jackson.

Lastly, as much as I’m happy that UCONN won their 5th National Title, I haven’t lost sight of the fact that the other 4 Championship teams were much better than this one. This team didn’t even win the Big East Conference, nor did they win the Big East Tournament. In my view, they got lucky in the tournament in that all of the Top teams were knocked out and they became the perennial favorites and they won.
it’s kind of hard to take your take seriously when you spell it UCONN…

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Need to cut some slack here... that's exactly what is on some versions of the uniforms.
I was half kidding (but his responses are a little whack lol). But the UCONN in all caps is a brand logo / word mark. The school when being referred to is spelled UConn.

ED7FFF13-532C-4C04-9989-43F8906D527E.jpeg

Reaction Score
UCONN has always had players who “were essential to their success”. Unfortunately, if you are not up on the history of UCONN Men’s Basketball, and maybe have never SEEN some of the Greats from the past you would think that Jackson is that good…Several Decades ago, UCONN’s Athletic Dept mailed out ballots to many of it’s Athletic supporters and others in which they listed the all the best players and asked us to vote for the top 50. Even back then, some of the guys who did not make that All Time Top 50 list were better than Jackson.

Lastly, as much as I’m happy that UCONN won their 5th National Title, I haven’t lost sight of the fact that the other 4 Championship teams were much better than this one. This team didn’t even win the Big East Conference, nor did they win the Big East Tournament. In my view, they got lucky in the tournament in that all of the Top teams were knocked out and they became the perennial favorites and they won.
What an astoundingly stupid individual. I kept reading thinking it had to get better but it somehow kept getting worse

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

This guy is definitely past his "sell by" date.

Reaction Score
This won't play well...

He only every averaged 6-7 points a game but he was unbelievably essential to the success of the team.

There's certain players in ever sport where their impact isn't truly represented in stats...

Andre Jackson is that guy.

He's uniquely...unique

I've been guilty of thinking the fan base might overrated him. When you watch tape again, you see the impact.

He's absolutely top 50
I’m very impressed how well spoken he is and how highly he spoken about UConn and coaches during this interview.

He is well grounded and He also knows and has what it takes to excel at next level. I sincerely think when all is said and done, he may have a better career than Draymond Green, but of course I’m a big fan. He will surprise lots of people in NBA.

He is definitely in my top 15 of UConn greatest players list.
Me too!

Reaction Score
I guess you’re entitled….Understandable if you’re new to the program, but going back decades this guy would not even be in the Top 50.

Favorite player and Top 50 are 2 different things are you that ignorant? This fan and every other UConn fan is entitled to like whom ever they wish to it doesn’t have to be a Top 50 player. Wow, did you just land on the Boneyard?

Reaction Score
I watched the highlight reel of Hawkins sophomore season and realized over 90% of his threes seemed to come off of Jackson passes. I also watched some of the tournament games and he's like a damn raptor once he grabbed the ball and pushed it down court. Not sure I remember a guy who pushed the ball up the court quite like him and some of the out of nowhere anticipation plays are jaw dropping.

We're really going to miss him but some other things Clingan, Newton, and Karaban I maybe didn't see at the time jumped out to me. I really think Clingan is special, as in going to be one of the best players who ever played here special.
Back weeks ago when we were waiting to hear if he and Newton would stay, I was thinking that having him on the team would raise us an entire letter grade. It’s insane his impact on the game without a dominating offensive game. Just the level of intensity he brings, the defense, the mindset on offense are program building. I hope Hurley can get Newton/Alex/Donovan to get us that next season but it’ll be tough

Reaction Score
Why are you people incapable of ignoring an ignorant dingbat. This post is about Andre being welcomed to the Bucks and how awesome he is. Ignore the dullard, sometimes I hate it here, having to come up with euphemisms for my digs

Reaction Score
How anyone could criticize Andre in this thread is beyond me. I was quite critical of his play during mid-season but was also quick to acknowledge when he turned that corner too…

One aspect of his game - rarely talked about - that he did better than any other UConn player ever IMO - is turn good defense into instant offense. No player pushed play up the court better than Andre. If he got ball, has was coming right down your throat and pushing that ball no matter how many defenders were on him. He looked like an NBA’er in this regard and this talent will serve him well at the next level.

Reaction Score
The best part of the interview was how confidently and thoughtfully he answered the questions. Also nice to hear him use proper grammar, as I used to cringe when a former coach talked about "this great university" while saying "he have" and "they was".
As Andre matures and slows down his delivery he could have a post playing career job as an analyst on broadcasts. He really understands how to play the game and would do a great job pointing out the nuances of the game and what made a certain play special. So tired of the Dick Vitale style where the broadcasters hype the dunk but never mention the great pass that enabled it.

Reaction Score
Some people mention the 2014 championship being "lucky" also. I hate that view. It's dumb. You could make the argument that every team that wins 6 "win or go home" games in a row is lucky.

Assume that even if you're a dominant 1 seed and had a 95% chance of winning game 1, 75% chance in games 2 and 3, 65% chance in game 4 (Elite 8), 60% chance in game 5 (national semifinal) and 55% in the the championship game (all that seems too generous) then the probability of winning those 6 games in a row is only 11.5%. So you got "lucky" winning the championship.

Reaction Score
Always gotta have that troll who never responds then comes back under a different username to come up with another hot take.

Reaction Score
The best part of the interview was how confidently and thoughtfully he answered the questions. Also nice to hear him use proper grammar, as I used to cringe when a former coach talked about "this great university" while saying "he have" and "they was".
Funny you mention that. My mother was a high school English teacher in CT and she got so mad listening to that because she didn't think it was appropriate for someone in a leadership position at the state's largest university, educating so many of our college students, to use improper language like that. She thought it set a bad example for kids. She wanted to write him a letter and offer her services for free as a tutor. We laughed every time she mentioned it and talked her out of writing the letter.

Reaction Score
Looks to me like the Bucks did their homework on Jackson and were blown away in the interview process.

You couldnt have asked Ajax to come into a better situation, Giannis and these vets are going to be shocked at Jackson’s veteran poise for a rookie.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Lol at this championship being lucky.

Because it took so much luck to blowout everyone they played. This is probably the championship with the least amount of luck.

Is this the best team in history? Probably not. But you’re crazy to think the team got lucky or that Andre isn’t top 50.

This is coming from someone who thinks the board does have a lot of recency bias with last year’s players. Which is understandable since it’s been over a decade since the last good non-KO team.

This one is responsible for bringing the hope and feeling back that we can be a national powerhouse again.

Reaction Score

Another great addition. Thanks for signing up.

Reaction Score
I guess you’re entitled….Understandable if you’re new to the program, but going back decades this guy would not even be in the Top 50.
Sorry, I did not say the best player but my personal feeling is for athletic talent, LEADERSHIP, part of a NC and his LOVE of UCONN and CHARACTER. Oh, and I am not young and seen them all. Obviously calling him “this guy” and not in the top 50 tells me all I need to know.

Reaction Score
I watched the highlight reel of Hawkins sophomore season and realized over 90% of his threes seemed to come off of Jackson passes. I also watched some of the tournament games and he's like a damn raptor once he grabbed the ball and pushed it down court. Not sure I remember a guy who pushed the ball up the court quite like him and some of the out of nowhere anticipation plays are jaw dropping.

We're really going to miss him but some other things Clingan, Newton, and Karaban I maybe didn't see at the time jumped out to me. I really think Clingan is special, as in going to be one of the best players who ever played here special.

Clips of Tristen + Alex in transition that give me confidence for next year without #44 <3

IMG_1171.gif

IMG_1173.gif

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Henefeld and Jackson have a lot in common in that both could have a huge impact on a game without scoring much. Players like that are so very valuable.

The best players in basketball are the players who make their teammates better.
I agree with your comparison from the standpoint that Henefeld's team was a great TEAM, great in passing, depth and unselfishness. I was hoping we would someday see a team like that again and that is exactly what happened. The depth allowed them to play very hard and wear down opponents so that the last 10 minutes we owned. It was psychologically unnerving to opponents to face that relentless pressure and track meet fastbreaks. There were differences of course like the Sanogo/Clingan monster team.

As far as the other poster's (BattersonB) comment below:

"Lastly, as much as I’m happy that UCONN won their 5th National Title, I haven’t lost sight of the fact that the other 4 Championship teams were much better than this one. This team didn’t even win the Big East Conference, nor did they win the Big East Tournament. In my view, they got lucky in the tournament in that all of the Top teams were knocked out and they became the perennial favorites and they won".

To call this team "lucky" is not very logical. Lucky teams don't destroy everyone who comes across their path with a minimum point differential of at least 13. No, this team just got better the longer it played. Their was nothing lucky about the Sanogo/Clingan combination or AJ's unique skills or Hawkins shooting ability or the steady play of Karaban and the bench. Most would agree that they were the best team in this tournament. Maybe not the greatest Uconn championship team but they certainly were one of the most dominant NC champions in history. Only a few are in this category of point differential. Dominant is the operative word.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom