"Adults" who use Ketchup | Page 10 | The Boneyard

"Adults" who use Ketchup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can appreciate the flavor of a good steak and the general abhorrence of putting ketchup on steak by most. But if I'm home grilling, I love a medium rare steak along with ketchup. Something about the steak juices mixing wth the ketchup is heaven.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I should despise ketchup. It is the only thing I eat that has high fructose cornsyrup in it. I eat very little sugar and just don't have a taste for sweets at all.

But I love ketchup. And mayonnaise. And use both liberally.

I believe it is a lifelong reaction to all of the bone dry sandwiches I was fed as a child. Two slices of wonder bread with a slice of baloney in between. They were so dry the bread would stick to the roof of my mouth until I physically pried it away.

Ketchup and mayo went from being the constant saviors of poorly prepared food to a predictable constant (i.e. comfort food).

If my taste sensibilities are in question, I blame childhood trauma.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Top reasons to not eat restaurant ketchup unless you know for certain you are using a new bottle:

(1) Bottles are refilled daily, usually using a cheap brand, and they contain who knows how many layers of strata from the bottom up.
(2) Waitress uses same rag to wipe top of refilled bottle that she uses to wipe the table.
(3) Kids dip their knife into bottle to lick off the ketchup and then dip it back into the bottle again for another taste. Replace lid afterwards.

Food for thought.

Reaction Score
Chicago dogs are the best: Sausage, Brite-Green relish, "sport" peppers, mustard, onions tomatoes, dills, French bread, and very cold beer. This thread is killing me.
Close but a Chicago dog isn't served on French bread. It's a Vienna beef dog on a poppy seed steamed bun with yellow mustard, neon green relish, tomato slices, diced white onion, dill pickle spear, celery salt and optional sport peppers.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I should despise ketchup. It is the only thing I eat that has high fructose cornsyrup in it. I eat very little sugar and just don't have a taste for sweets at all.

I believe it is a lifelong reaction to all of the bone dry sandwiches I was fed as a child. Two slices of wonder bread with a slice of baloney in between. They were so dry the bread would stick to the roof of my mouth until I physically pried it away.

Ketchup and mayo went from being the constant saviors of poorly prepared food to a predictable constant (i.e. comfort food).

t,
You may need a 12-step program. ;)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Need to work out those issues. Sounds like childhood trauma has morphed into some type of self loathing/self harm scenario via punishing yourself with an abhorrent condiment.

You're a good person Tdrink. you can stop eating Ketchup now.

I know one thing:
giphy.gif

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Chin basically called himself a foodie while also saying he loves ketchup and onions suck. He might need professional help.

I'm the opposite of a foodie. I'm a foodie libertarian. My choice in food toppings has zero effect on anyone else's and vice versa. Top away as you feel free.

But you do get judged by ruining food with onions. Shows a lack of culinary skills. Cooking with onions is like having to get chicks drunk on Southern Comfort to make any progress with them.

Reaction Score
I'm the opposite of a foodie. I'm a foodie libertarian. My choice in food toppings has zero effect on anyone else's and vice versa. Top away as you feel free.

But you do get judged by ruining food with onions. Shows a lack of culinary skills. Cooking with onions is like having to get chicks drunk on Southern Comfort to make any progress with them.
Onions are one of the foundations of cooking, pretty much sweat onions and garlic every time I cook.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
you do get judged by ruining food with onions. Shows a lack of culinary skills. Cooking with onions is like having to get chicks drunk on Southern Comfort to make any progress with them.

Onions sir, are one of the four major food enhancements that are capable of improving the taste of anything from the savory side of the food spectrum -- the other three being bacon, peppers and cheese.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I had dinner recently with my brother at a local seafood joint. He put ketchup on his fish from his fish & chips meal. He does it with whole belly clams too. My cousins refuse to eat with him.

Malt vinegar or cider vinegar is the norm on fish and chips. Of course ketchup has vinegar in it so c'est la vie.

Are you sure he didn't just try to put ketchup on the chips and he accident splilled it all over his fish by mistake?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Love salads. Give me a spring mix, cucumber, pepper, roasted pepper, tomatoes, carrots, corn, beats, beans, raw or cooked broccoli, cauliflower, parsley, peppermint leaves, strawberries, grapes or raisons, nuts, cheeses and any dressing. Make this almost every day. But hold the raw onions. They cause a reaction that makes me feel lousy for days. I'm not sure if the reaction triggered a distaste for raw onions or if the distaste is part of the same syndrome, but no raw onions.

Sautéed onions are a different story. Love them. Love making a dish of sautéed onions, zucchini and yellow squash. Love sautéed onions on a lot of things and no negative reaction.

I love eating now but growing up I hated to eat. Even suspenders couldn't hold up my pants. Particularly hated meat. Only way I could avoid puking was to disguise taste with ketchup.

Reaction Score
He sounds like a horrible person.

He is a ketchup , he's my brother, I love him

Malt vinegar or cider vinegar is the norm on fish and chips. Of course ketchup has vinegar in it so c'est la vie.

Are you sure he didn't just try to put ketchup on the chips and he accident splilled it all over his fish by mistake?
Chin, he dunks whole bellies in ketchup, ketchup on his hotdogs, Jones' sausages, kielbasa... He told me when we were kids, the neighbor/ friends invited him over for dinner and happened to serve steak (which was rare to do in those days, pun intended) When he put ketchup on his steak.., he said the family became horrified. Never got another invite after that.

Reaction Score
Did someone actually say they use ketchup on their hotdog?

I do for sure how is it an All American Dog without ketchup I ask? Maybe with mustard too, potenially an occasional dog with just mustard and relish but after that it becomes a hot dog salad - cheese? Chili? Please that's not a dog!

I mean this thread should actually be titled "Adults who DON'T use ketchup" I mean WTH is going on around here.

Reaction Score
He is a ketchup , he's my brother, I love him

Chin, he dunks whole bellies in ketchup, ketchup on his hotdogs, Jones' sausages, kielbasa... He told me when we were kids, the neighbor/ friends invited him over for dinner and happened to serve steak (which was rare to do in those days, pun intended) When he put ketchup on his steak.., he said the family became horrified. Never got another invite after that.

I'll never forget the time when my mom/dad took us to the Hawthorne Inn in their heyday for a celebration dinner and my younger brother (10-12 y/o at the time) ordered the signature prime rib, proceeded to ask the server for ketchup and dosed the sumnabeetch from end to end while the server stood there w/ his mouth open.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I'll never forget the time when my mom/dad took us to the Hawthorne Inn in their heyday for a celebration dinner and my younger brother (10-12 y/o at the time) ordered the signature prime rib, proceeded to ask the server for ketchup and dosed the sumnabeetch from end to end while the server stood there w/ his mouth open.

Even as someone who loves ketchup. This is repulsive.

Ketchup saves bad food. Ketchup enhances bland food.

Ketchup makes food that has great flavor on it's own taste like ketchup. If you like ketchup that much order a turkey burger and load up on the ketchup.

I'll take the prime rib straight up or with a touch of horseradish. Especially if your mom/dad was paying for it.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
A resurrected post. Well done. I have found myself using ketchup less and less. No explanation. Just happened. My favorite burgers at this sports bar I frequent has great toppings. Certain burgers have globs of cheese, peppers, onions, and mushrooms. To me it seems to taste better without. However, I must admit, a few dobs of ketchup at the corner of my fries, gives me the choice to single dip a frie or two. If the bar had a bottle of Malt Vinegar as a condiment, that would be my choice indeed. Why I don't ask for it is still a mystery to me.
A friend I grew up with would put absolutely nothing on his burgers, except cheese. I asked "no lettuce , tomato, pickle or onion?" His reply "if I wanted a salad, I would order one" A lessoned learned. Think before asking such a question.

Reaction Score
Love salads. Give me a spring mix, cucumber, pepper, roasted pepper, tomatoes, carrots, corn, beats, beans, raw or cooked broccoli, cauliflower, parsley, peppermint leaves, strawberries, grapes or raisons, nuts, cheeses and any dressing. Make this almost every day. But hold the raw onions. They cause a reaction that makes me feel lousy for days. I'm not sure if the reaction triggered a distaste for raw onions or if the distaste is part of the same syndrome, but no raw onions.

Sautéed onions are a different story. Love them. Love making a dish of sautéed onions, zucchini and yellow squash. Love sautéed onions on a lot of things and no negative reaction.

I love eating now but growing up I hated to eat. Even suspenders couldn't hold up my pants. Particularly hated meat. Only way I could avoid puking was to disguise taste with ketchup.

Try "quick pickling" shaved red onion for your salads. I would bet you'll like them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
J. Timothy's uses ketchup in their legendary wing sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom