"Adults" who use Ketchup | The Boneyard

"Adults" who use Ketchup

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Let's continue our food discussions.

What is the attraction of Ketchup?

Is it some nostalgic taste of childhood?

Is it because its the only "food stuff" that hits all 5 flavor senses? (umami, sweetness, sourness, bitterness, and saltiness)

The above fact seems to make it more of a mask than a flavor enhancer. Does this mean we are eating foods that need to be masked?

School me on your uses for Ketchup. I have been off Ketchup for quite awhile, but Im willing to try peoples rec's to gain a better understanding and possibly find something I like it on. Currently I only occasionally use it on my Wifes meatloaf. It doesnt wreck it. It doesnt really make it that much better either. Ive found no other use yet.

Help a lost soul out please.

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score

Is it because its the only "food stuff" that hits all 5 flavor senses? (umami, sweetness, sourness, bitterness, and saltiness)

The above fact seems to make it more of a mask than a flavor enhancer. Does this mean we are eating foods that need to be masked?

School me on your uses for Ketchup. I have been off Ketchup for quite awhile, but Im willing to try peoples rec's to gain a better understanding and possibly find something I like it on. Currently I only occasionally use it on my Wifes meatloaf. It doesnt wreck it. It doesnt really make it that much better either. Ive found no other use yet.

It just tastes DAMN good.. No other explanation for me

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
You might like eating your wieners hot and sweaty between some dry buns ... but I like mine drenched in red velvety goodness.

August_West

Reaction Score
I especially like ketchup on my turkey.

(Hey, someone had to be first)

Hey I learned in school a long time ago that

neg x neg = pos

you actually may be on to something here. Food for thought. Will try.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

You lost me on your turkey rant but this I can co-sign. Ketchup is a flavor masker and I can really only use it sparingly on fries (I usually go plain). Ketchup is also awful when it's inside a burger and you didn't ask for it, mustard and mayo only.

Reaction Score
Because it comes in all sorts of colors.
20001017gdheinz1017.jpg

Heinz+purple+ketchup.jpg

August_West

Reaction Score
Because it comes in all sorts of colors.
20001017gdheinz1017.jpg

Heinz+purple+ketchup.jpg

Yikes.

This reminded me of a couple non taste related things that turn me off to Ketchup:

1) My Wife uses ketchup an average amount (Burgers, dogs,Fries your normal stuff I guess). If I am the one stuck doing dishes after, and I go to rinse a plate, the glob of Ketchup left over from dipping doesn not actually disolve and dilute in water. It comes off the plate in one big glob/clot. This really grosses me out for some reason.
2) Since as long as I can remember the predominant odor I get from walking by dumpsters or piles of trash (yeah Ive spent alot of my life in NYC) is.......................Ketchup. Its that powerful to be the predominat odor in a pile of rotting trash.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Now you've gone too far my friend. Ketchup is one of the major food groups.

Meatloaf, meatloaf sandwiches, hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries/home fries/hash browns, corned beef hash. The mo' the betta.' It's an enhancer, not a cover-upper. Nothing better than topping the burger with it and making a big pile on the side for dipping in between each bite.

Heinz only though.

Reaction Score
Now you've gone too far my friend. Ketchup is one of the major food groups.

Meatloaf, meatloaf sandwiches, hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries/home fries/hash browns, corned beef hash. The mo' the betta.' It's an enhancer, not a cover-upper. Nothing better than topping the burger with it and making a big pile on the side for dipping in between each bite.

Heinz only though.
Never on a hot dog, they'll chop your balls off out here in Chicagon if you order it that way.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I like ketchup only on my french fries. When I get a burger, putting a couple of tomatoes on it is much tastier than ketchup. With fries though, they're kinda bland without a sauce to accompany them. If we really want to talk about childish food though, we should start talking about hot dogs...that is gross

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What are you, 9? :)
Don't I wish. I'm become convinced that 8 or 9 is the best age. Breaks my heart that my youngest will be double digits soon. You and I both know what types of changes soon come...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't give a flying f--- what some half-witted condiment Nazi thinks.

I'll put ketchup on whatever the hell I want.

Ketchup = America.

Don't like it? Feel free to move to France or wherever they'll serve your dainty ass the pinky-up condiment of your choosing.

August_West

Reaction Score
I like ketchup only on my french fries. When I get a burger, putting a couple of tomatoes on it is much tastier than ketchup. With fries though, they're kinda bland without a sauce to accompany them. If we really want to talk about childish food though, we should start talking about hot dogs...that is gross

Hot Dogs? gross? Oh man I love Hot Dogs, but I will agree that your garden variety supermarket hot dogs are nasty.
I have a seasonal hot dog regimen.
Summer grilling months. Only Natural casing Hummels (or comparable natural casing and only on the grill) Man the snap you get on the first bite of a properly grilled GOOD natural casing hot dog is a revelation. Problem is I am one of the few who knows how to grill them right and can get a good char on them without them splitting wide open. (I accept paypal if you want my secret) I cant tell you how many times Ive brought a beautiful box of Natural casing hummels to back yard BBQ's and watched the host make a mess out of them. They arent supposed to split wide open. All the juices and goodness run out.

winter hot dogging. That is "water dog" time where I have a home setup to approximate an NYC hot dog steam cart. In these months my dog of choice is Hebrew National for the water dog treatment. Sabretts will do in a pinch. Water dogs are totally different than grilled Natural casings but are equally as delectable.

May I point out that in both cases Ketchup is skipped? Or is that a given?

August_West

Reaction Score
I don't give a flying f--- what some half-witted condiment Nazi thinks.

I'll put ketchup on whatever the hell I want.

Ketchup = America.

Don't like it? Feel free to move to France or wherever they'll serve your dainty ass the pinky-up condiment of your choosing.

Sweet melt

Reaction Score

I agree with you. Other than french fries sometimes, I'm not a fan. Just too sweet.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As I've noted, I'm a ketchup purist--Heinz regular ketchup, period. But a friend whose tastes I trust recently recommended this and I plan to pick it up and check it out because it sounds like it might be up my alley:

HZK_3D_14oz_BalsamicVinegarKetchup-small.ashx

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You have the worst food proclivities on the internet. Fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom