ACC rumor from the Fat White Guy | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ACC rumor from the Fat White Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I disagree UConn will get an ACC offer if UConn has a remote B1g chance.
We might even accept. Why. Because of BC and Syracuse.
along with no
With the exception of Miami, none of the ACC's schools are on the Atlantic Coast, per se. ;)
Even you are dissing BCU who is on the Atlantic.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Dooley - great great post! I share your beliefs on a support scale of about 80% (which is high for me).

Thanks NEforceUConn! I'll take your 80% support and brag to my wife that somebody supports me more than she does. :D

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ESPN picked the winners and losers in expansion. They had the ACC by the shorthairs, locked into a very long-term deal that was way below market by the beginning of 2011. ESPN could have just sat on that $13MM/year deal for the next 12 years. And ESPN could have chosen to take some of the money they were saving on the ACC deal and hold the Big East together, but they didn't. They unilaterally agreed to increase each ACC's school by 70% and set off a chain reaction that crippled 3 athletic programs while enriching the other 14 and costing ESPN billions of dollars over the next 10 years while losing a lot of their content.

All so they could crush UConn, USF and Cincinnati. Maybe one of our ESPN homers could answer whether it was all worth it.

Reaction Score
This doesn't mesh at all with what was reported by people a week before Pitt was added, nor does it mesh with Gene DeFillippo's story at BC.
Actually it does mesh with Gene DeFillippo's story from this article:

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/articles/2011/10/09/power_move_by_acc/

His quote: “We wanted new playmates and we wanted Eastern playmates,’’ said DeFilippo. “When the Big 12 inquired about Pittsburgh, we asked, ‘Why let them come into our area?’ ’’

You are correct that Connecticut was second choice behind Syracuse, and that BC argued against UConn. But, the reason for taking Pittsburgh is consistent with what I was saying regarding the Big 12, and it was part of BC's argument for Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Actually it does mesh with Gene DeFillippo's story from this article:

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/articles/2011/10/09/power_move_by_acc/

His quote: “We wanted new playmates and we wanted Eastern playmates,’’ said DeFilippo. “When the Big 12 inquired about Pittsburgh, we asked, ‘Why let them come into our area?’ ’’

You are correct that Connecticut was second choice behind Syracuse, and that BC argued against UConn. But, the reason for taking Pittsburgh is consistent with what I was saying regarding the Big 12, and it was part of BC's argument for Pittsburgh.

Your link contradicts what you wrote. It says UConn was the second choice and that it was blackballed by BC. It's the opposite of going after Pitt when Pitt was perceived to be going B12. It says UConn was the 2nd choice, not Pitt. How in the world did you miss that?

Reaction Score
Your link contradicts what you wrote. It says UConn was the second choice and that it was blackballed by BC. It's the opposite of going after Pitt when Pitt was perceived to be going B12. It says UConn was the 2nd choice, not Pitt. How in the world did you miss that?

I acknowledge that UConn was second choice and that Boston College was arguing against UConn. That's not in dispute, and we have discusssed it many times here. I think it's short sighted and his personal tiff should not have influenced this, but it did. He's gone now, and perhaps conditions are different.

My point is that the reason Frank the Tank gave for the ACC wanting Pittsburgh is correct, and it is consistent with what Gene DeFillippo said. There was concern about the Big XII.

Reaction Score
I acknowledge that UConn was second choice and that Boston College was arguing against UConn. That's not in dispute, and we have discusssed it many times here. I think it's short sighted and his personal tiff should not have influenced this, but it did. He's gone now, and perhaps conditions are different.

My point is that the reason Frank the Tank gave for the ACC wanting Pittsburgh is correct, and it is consistent with what Gene DeFillippo said. There was concern about the Big XII.

Frank was replying to someone who questioned why Pitt over Uconn. In that context, the reply makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Dooley - great post and I agree with it 100%. UCONN should aim for the B1G and forget the ACC. ACC's short term thinking will doom itself someday. ACC today reminds me of the old BE mixed with small private schools and second state universities other than Virginia and UNC. B1G is where we belong.

Reaction Score
UCONN is NEVER going to the ACC. I have given up on that thought much like I have given up on the idea of the NHL coming back to Hartford. Debbie Downer-esque? Sure. But the ACC has had more than enough chances to add UCONN over the years only to select the Flavor of the Month type of schools.

Pitt? Good academics; Smoke and mirrors athletics. They play in a 1/2 to 3/4 empty NFL stadium and never win much more than 6 games a season despite their deliciously fertile PA recruiting grounds. They play second fiddle within their own state to Penn State. They do have history and tradition on their side and its more recent than somebody like, say, Syracuse. Basketball is average at best and can't ever get past the Sweet 16. Let's see how well Dixon can recruit NYC when he plays zero games there and is constantly waxed by better coaches like Coach K and Roy Williams. The good news is that they're not obnoxious enough to proclaim themselves as NYC's college team like another school on this list does (ahem, ahem), but that's probably because they can't even proclaim themselves to be Pittsburgh's college team.

The Fruitcakes? Good academics; Basketball school with football history from decades (and decades and decades) ago. Jim Brown and Ernie Davis went there. So did Donovan McNabb, Marvin Harrison and Dwight Freeney. After that, nobody has gone there except for the endless number of morons who work at ESPiN so that we can be reminded that Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Donovan McNabb went there (because we soon forget watching them lose year after year in a half empty stadium) . And almost no wins too until very recently. But hey, they have nice signs posted all over NYC proclaiming themselves as being NYC's college team so that must be true even though UCONN ratings eclipse theirs in every single sport. Basketball is enjoying some success now but without a one and done Melo type, the 2-3 zone doesn't win championships. Plus Boeheim is old and cranky. They will have the same dilemma as UCONN did when everyone outside of CT was so concerned with UCONN's ability to replace Calhoun. We have. Can they? We shall see.

Louisville? With a 95% acceptance rate and 160-something ridiculous rating, I'm fairly confident that my dog can get accepted. He knows about 200+ words which is probably about 75 more than the average Louisville student. They've enjoyed a nice little football run under Charlie Strong after years of being in the basement of the Big East (along with the Fruitcakes) in the Steve Kragthorpe era. They also were progressive and expanded their stadium just at the most opportune time. Kudos to them. Johnny Unitas went there and so did Deion Branch, which I realize constitutes as having more history than UCONN. Basketball is a solid program and, as if scripted by Conference Hollywood writers, they too are enjoying great success right now. Much like Boeheim and Calhoun, Rick Pitino is old. And much like Fruitcakes and UCONN, they will have to find a replacement for him. Market? They play second fiddle in their own state but, hey, the ACC Network will enjoy the ratings boost from the highly coveted Louisville market (the ones that don't root for Kentucky, that is) for decades because Louisville will ALWAYS be good, right? Just ask Steve Kragthorpe.

UCONN (as best as I can to remove my UCONN colored glasses right now)? Good academics, seemingly on the rise; Basketball school with young football history. Football is exiting its own Steve Kragthorpe era (the Pasqualoni era could not have come at a WORSE time) and attendance has dropped in each of the past 3 seasons under Pasqualoni. Donald Brown, Tyvon Branch, Jordan Todman and Darius Butler went there. Actually (because we have no long-term history), I'll tell you that 19 UCONN guys are currently in the NFL. That's more than Pittsburgh (15), Louisville (14), and Syracuse (12). http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/c But if changes aren't made to rid UCONN from its old AD and old coach (old coach, quite literally), then UCONN must not care about football whatsoever…oh wait, we did make house-clearing changes?? Hmmmm. But all of this HAS to be a mistake because, because we have zero history, are located in the northeast, and are a BASKETBALL school, right?! Basketball has won more national titles than the other three on this list combined over the past 3+ decades and sports a ridiculous pipeline to the NBA, even when the player who went UCONN wasn't even good while at UCONN (see: Andre Drummond). Successfully replaced its coaching legend in house and continues to be recognized as one of the top 5 programs in the country even after an APR blip last season. Penetrates NYC (more successfully than the Fruitcakes) and Boston (as successfully as BC) markets while playing second fiddle to…CCSU? ECSU? University of Hartford? Nobody? Ding ding ding! Nobody within its own decent sized market.

Quite honestly, I have grown to hate the ACC. Not the grandfathered schools so much. But BC, Pitt, Cuse, and Louisville can all sahq on it. For what it's worth, so can the U (aka - Boats and Hoes) for their continued efforts to keep crime alive right under the held noses of the NCAA, Duke for always being one of a very small handful of teams that always concern me come Tournament time, and Wake Forrest for being grandfathered into a money conference despite bringing absolutely nothing to the table and for declaring their open football coaching position to be better than UCONN's when it clearly isn't. If I had a highly hypothetical and wishful thinking choice of UCONN joining the ACC today or the B1G in 5 years, I'd wait to the join the B1G (assuming we couldn't get out of the GOR and pay a $50M exit fee). I think UCONN is better suited for the B1G, a conference that strives for athletic achievement (except Rutgers) while maintaining academic excellence amongst large public state universities. It's a northern conference, which I like, that plays all of the sports that I like (football, basketball, hockey, soccer, baseball). And Louisville Community College isn't in it (and never would be). The fact that UCONN isn't already better positioned for a B1G invite is a sad indictment of past university Presidents and, to some extent, Athletic Directors (except Lew Perkins) who failed in every measurable way to think forwardly.

B1G or Bust. F the ACC.
Great analysis Dooley...don't worry it won't be long and probably already in the works under privacy cloak and awaiting indications of AAU timing which will come? UConn is a B1G style school that they need to wrap up the eastern wing.

Reaction Score
Dooley - great post and I agree with it 100%. UCONN should aim for the B1G and forget the ACC. ACC's short term thinking will doom itself someday. ACC today reminds me of the old BE mixed with small private schools and second state universities other than Virginia and UNC. B1G is where we belong.
I don't understand how we see so much the same and yet so different? I replied to Dooley b4 reading your reply and was shocked!?!

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
There's only one way forward and that's the B1G...just need a partner. It may take 5 to 10 years for the B1G to find a viable partner, but much more likely to happen than ND joining the ACC full-time and needing us as #16.

Reaction Score
For the ACC...further expansion really comes down to money.

Will ESPN pay enough to make going to 16 (and cutting the pie up more) a positive situation for the conference and individual programs?

Unlike the Big Ten...the ACC is a straight ESPN property in terms of purchased content. And ESPN would be consulted.

When the GOR was signed, ESPN stated that they wanted the stability of a GOR to safeguard the additional investment in the conference. The ESPN bean counters will be the determinant factor in ACC CR, I think.

Reaction Score
Its been a while since I posted, but there are a couple things to consider when discussing trading Pitt, Ville, and Cuse for Maryland, Uconn, Rutgers. Conference realignment was not done at the same instant, so we really should consider the timeline of events when considering how the dominos fell. Rutgers was likely not an option for the ACC. The ACC would probably like to have both Rutgers and Maryland, but the B1G had more to offer them and they took it. Rutgers and Maryland were likely in talks for years with the B1G, and likely had principle agreements in place before the ACC could have made the move for Rutgers.

Also, I see a lot of posts saying Pitt belongs in the B12. Although not an atlantic coastal school, no one in Pittsburgh would consider Pitt to be a midwestern/plains school, especially not a B12 southern midwestern/plains school. The only selling point to Pitt fans for Pitt in the B1G, was to be in a conference with Penn State. Aside from that, the B1G was nothing Pitt fans were interested in. Pittsburgh is located in the eastern time zone and pro sports teams from Pittsburgh compete mostly with other eastern foes. I understand the culture in Pittsburgh is not that of NYC, Boston, DC, Philly, Atlanta, and Miami. But aside from BC, GT, and Miami, how many ACC schools have that big city culture. Pitt was better aligned with the Big East than the ACC, but with the Big East now imploded, I see the ACC as a better landing spot than the B12.

As for Uconn to the B1G or ACC, I am actually suprised that nothing has been anounced yet. Both the B1G and ACC have said that 16 is better than 14, but neither have made a move to expand. The B1G has more options for expansion if you include existing P5 conference teams than the ACC, but if we assume no one will leave a P5 conference for another, then the remaining candidates are Uconn, Cincy, BYU, UCF, USF, maybe Houston, maybe Tulane. Spare me the Boise St, Fresno St, Buffalo, Memphis, Temple argument, becuase they are not on the same level as the first group. I just don't see the other teams as being on the same level as Uconn and if the end game is 16 teams, then why risk losing Uconn to the other conference. The only explaination is that the B1G can not find another quality school to partner with Uconn, or that the ACC is waiting on ND.

Reaction Score
Its been a while since I posted, but there are a couple things to consider when discussing trading Pitt, Ville, and Cuse for Maryland, Uconn, Rutgers. Conference realignment was not done at the same instant, so we really should consider the timeline of events when considering how the dominos fell. Rutgers was likely not an option for the ACC. The ACC would probably like to have both Rutgers and Maryland, but the B1G had more to offer them and they took it. Rutgers and Maryland were likely in talks for years with the B1G, and likely had principle agreements in place before the ACC could have made the move for Rutgers.

Also, I see a lot of posts saying Pitt belongs in the B12. Although not an atlantic coastal school, no one in Pittsburgh would consider Pitt to be a midwestern/plains school, especially not a B12 southern midwestern/plains school. The only selling point to Pitt fans for Pitt in the B1G, was to be in a conference with Penn State. Aside from that, the B1G was nothing Pitt fans were interested in. Pittsburgh is located in the eastern time zone and pro sports teams from Pittsburgh compete mostly with other eastern foes. I understand the culture in Pittsburgh is not that of NYC, Boston, DC, Philly, Atlanta, and Miami. But aside from BC, GT, and Miami, how many ACC schools have that big city culture. Pitt was better aligned with the Big East than the ACC, but with the Big East now imploded, I see the ACC as a better landing spot than the B12.

As for Uconn to the B1G or ACC, I am actually suprised that nothing has been anounced yet. Both the B1G and ACC have said that 16 is better than 14, but neither have made a move to expand. The B1G has more options for expansion if you include existing P5 conference teams than the ACC, but if we assume no one will leave a P5 conference for another, then the remaining candidates are Uconn, Cincy, BYU, UCF, USF, maybe Houston, maybe Tulane. Spare me the Boise St, Fresno St, Buffalo, Memphis, Temple argument, becuase they are not on the same level as the first group. I just don't see the other teams as being on the same level as Uconn and if the end game is 16 teams, then why risk losing Uconn to the other conference. The only explaination is that the B1G can not find another quality school to partner with Uconn, or that the ACC is waiting on ND.
I read the first line of your post and was like "hmmm PITT, Ville, Cuse, UConn, Rutgers, that's a decent start to a conference."

Reaction Score
I read the first line of your post and was like "hmmm PITT, Ville, Cuse, UConn, Rutgers, that's a decent start to a conference."

Completely agree. Include WVU, and maybe include BC, VT, and Miami and you have a really good start to a conference.

I will miss the Big East and the regional rivalries.

Reaction Score

I agree that the XII is a desperation pass for just about anyone in the East, just ask the Mountaineers. While most of Pitt's historical rivals (outside of the afore mentioned 'folks' from Morgantown) are in the ACC just like UConn, quite a few Pitt alumni who I know through work would prefer the B1G. The B1G is perceived as a stronger academic conference than the ACC (money/grant wise via the CIC it is) than the ACC and access to the B1G would also put Pitt on a more level field with the 500 pound gorilla in Penn State. Plus, without WV, Pitt's nearest rival in the ACC is a 5 hour drive away (Syracuse, Louisville, VT), which is the same distance as it is from Pitt to Michigan or Rutgers while is 2 hours away from Penn St and Ohio St and 3 hours away from Ohio St and Maryland.

Reaction Score
Look - I get the consternation from people here, but Pitt was a fairly valuable piece in the conference realignment game and scored high in virtually every metric that university presidents said was important: it's an AAU school with a long football history located in a good-sized market and an excellent football recruiting ground. They would have been in the Big Ten years ago if they had been located virtually anywhere other than a Big Ten state. Pitt also had a second suitor to play off of the ACC: the Big 12. Believe me - the Big 12 didn't want WVU just hanging out east by itself as a geographic outlier. They were targeting Pitt, WVU and Louisville for a 3-team expansion and would have gone to 12 with that combo. (Just think of how much more the northern part of the Big 12 would make more sense if that expansion had occurred, which is why that's what they originally wanted.) The ACC nixed that plan by getting Pitt first (and to be sure, Pitt *definitely* preferred the ACC to the Big 12) and the Big 12's plan fell apart to where they basically had to take one of either WVU or Louisville alone for spackling. Whatever people might think of Swofford (and I tend to think that people outside of the ACC underestimate him while people within the ACC overestimate him), he blocked the Big 12's options big-time with both its preemptive taking of Pitt and then further grabbing Louisville.

The logic of the B12 using a pod of Louisville, Pitt, and WVU to both stabilize membership and instigate an intrusion into a new territory make imminent sense. Adding Cincy (balanced by a southwest school) for a four pod region may have made even more sense. To the extent a model for sports expansion into a new market exists, it certainly must include content driven in part by regional rivalries. In fact, it makes so much sense to me, I used that argument many times myself. That's what perplexes me when others argue UConn has no chance of getting to the B1G. Admittedly it will (and should) be a long, tough slog, but nonsensical? No.

Build versus Buy? That's one of the preeminent decisions in expanding businesses. Conference realignment might have been more accurately labeled conference expansion for that's what it's been for 4 of the P5. Trouble is, for the B1G's expansion into the northeast megalopolis, there were no clear "buy" options. Neither was there a pure "build" play. They only real opportunity lay in buying small and building. Enter Maryland and Rutgers. In theory, both have potential. Unfortunately, the B1G's prior experience has been of the buy (Penn State, Nebraska) variety. Delany is venturing into unknown waters and I'm sure he knows it. That's why UConn sits and waits. Why tackle three projects when you are unsure of the speed (or indeed the certainty) of accomplishing one?

Delany knows it will take more than Maryland, Rutgers, and existing B1G alums to conquer the northeast. Move Michigan to College Park and Ohio State to Piscataway and it still would be an extremely difficult undertaking to make inroads into a region as populous as the entire B1G prior to its most recent expansion. Of course I don't think UConn is THE answer, but the B1G will need all the help it can get and that's a large part of UConn's true value.

Reaction Score
I agree that the XII is a desperation pass for just about anyone in the East, just ask the Mountaineers. While most of Pitt's historical rivals (outside of the afore mentioned 'folks' from Morgantown) are in the ACC just like UConn, quite a few Pitt alumni who I know through work would prefer the B1G. The B1G is perceived as a stronger academic conference than the ACC (money/grant wise via the CIC it is) than the ACC and access to the B1G would also put Pitt on a more level field with the 500 pound gorilla in Penn State. Plus, without WV, Pitt's nearest rival in the ACC is a 5 hour drive away (Syracuse, Louisville, VT), which is the same distance as it is from Pitt to Michigan or Rutgers while is 2 hours away from Penn St and Ohio St and 3 hours away from Ohio St and Maryland.

10-15 years ago, I did prefer the B1G. Even as recent as 5 years ago. For academics, the B1G has a percieved edge over the ACC, but I believe that gap is closer than percieved. I think it would be hard to argue that the ACC is percieved to be weak academically. As for athletics, I have always wanted nothing more than to be in a conference with Penn State and Ohio State and maybe even ND. But, a lot has changed in the past few years and I just do not know if schools like Pitt, Cuse, and BC can compete with the larger state universities when it comes to resources. The B1G has only one small private university. The ACC has a mix of larger universities and smaller private universities. Also, with most of Pitt's former conference rivals moving to the ACC (Rutgers was not as much a rival as Cuse, ND, VT, or Miami), there are familiar opponents.

I would like to see Uconn in the ACC for many of the same reasons as I listed above. I consider Uconn to be a former conference foe that we have a good history with. I think Uconn would fit very well in the ACC footprint and would compete right away in terms of sports and resources. I think Uconn could also make the jump to the B1G, as there is more opportunity for growth in athletic resources and university growth than most other schools.

Reaction Score
10-15 years ago, I did prefer the B1G. Even as recent as 5 years ago. For academics, the B1G has a percieved edge over the ACC, but I believe that gap is closer than percieved. I think it would be hard to argue that the ACC is percieved to be weak academically. As for athletics, I have always wanted nothing more than to be in a conference with Penn State and Ohio State and maybe even ND. But, a lot has changed in the past few years and I just do not know if schools like Pitt, Cuse, and BC can compete with the larger state universities when it comes to resources. The B1G has only one small private university. The ACC has a mix of larger universities and smaller private universities. Also, with most of Pitt's former conference rivals moving to the ACC (Rutgers was not as much a rival as Cuse, ND, VT, or Miami), there are familiar opponents.

I would like to see Uconn in the ACC for many of the same reasons as I listed above. I consider Uconn to be a former conference foe that we have a good history with. I think Uconn would fit very well in the ACC footprint and would compete right away in terms of sports and resources. I think Uconn could also make the jump to the B1G, as there is more opportunity for growth in athletic resources and university growth than most other schools.
Very nicely laid out from a Pitt fans perspective! I've seen other of his posts here and more on RUs riv*ls site I believe? Theres one who usually finishes with Hail Pitt a regular on RU's board along with some WVU posters and naturally B!G welcome wagon-types.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Dooley, that was an excellent read. I appreciate the effort that must have taken.

...even after an APR blip last season.

In the long term it will be a blip, but it couldn't have happenned at a worse time. The last thing we needed to do was give anyone a reason to deny us. I'm not suggesting it was used that way since I have no insider knowledge, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

B1G or Bust. F the ACC.

I'm not a religious man, but I can muster up an AMEN to this. AMEN!

Reaction Score
I dont like how the acc treated uconn, but geographically, the acc makes the most sense, and who wouldn't want to see uconn play duke, unc and cuse yearly in bball? it just makes too much sense, but on the flip side playing mich, ohio st and penn st in football would be equally appealing. This will be a dance with the devil if it ever comes down to both conferences suiting uconn. herbst and warde will make the right call.

ultimately, I think it will come down to the large pile of cash that the 10 will throw our way. This will happen someday, and it will be so nice to watch how it unfolds and I'll enjoy watching Swofford put lipstick on the acc pig.

Reaction Score
every other week the same old BC vs. UConn argument gets rehashed. Fellas:

1) BC did not want UConn
2) #1 doesn't matter, because BC has no stroke within the ACC. If UNC, UVA, and FSU wanted UConn, you'd be in.
3) Pitt was a very solid addition to ACC given combined academics, athletics, and geography. Unprovable whether Pitt would be better than UConn.

All three of above can co-exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01