ACC rumor from the Fat White Guy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC rumor from the Fat White Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Navy is not getting a power conference invite.

Don’t underestimate the Service Academies. They are politically connected, elite academic schools with some serious historical football cred even if they don’t stand a chance in today’s football arms race. The Army/Navy football game is still a highly watched classic regardless of record, which I myself do watch every year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Don’t underestimate the Service Academies. They are politically connected, elite academic schools with some serious historical football cred even if they don’t stand a chance in today’s football arms race. The Army/Navy football game is still a highly watched classic regardless of record, which I myself do watch every year.

Are we arguing over a fantasy rumor from a twitter account? Just want to understand what this debate is about.

Reaction Score
Are we arguing over a fantasy rumor from a twitter account? Just want to understand what this debate is about.

The fantasy is that there will even be any expansion in the power conferences. We need to take care of some business in our own first.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The fantasy is that there will even be any expansion in the power conferences. We need to take care of some business in our own first.

If you are right, then we better figure out a way to make more money fast, because the current equation is a loser for UConn.

Reaction Score
Really ? ACC. All the recent CR speculation been revolving around B1G, so this took me a little by surprise. I am wondering where he got this info from.
Both the ACC and the B1G will be falling over each other to extend invites to UCONN before the end of 2014. It will be interesting to see where UCONN goes. I would guess a 70/30 chance for the Big 1G/ACC. That being said, Herbst's #1 and #2 priorities now will be to gain membership in the AAU and increase UCONN's endowment. Warde's major priorities will be the basketball practice facility and giving Coach Diaco everything he wants.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Both the ACC and the B1G will be falling over each other to extend invites to UCONN before the end of 2014. It will be interesting to see where UCONN goes. I would guess a 70/30 chance for the Big 1G/ACC. That being said, Herbst's #1 and #2 priorities now will be to gain membership in the AAU and increase UCONN's endowment. Warde's major priorities will be the basketball practice facility and giving Coach Diaco everything he wants.
I hope you are correct, that by the end of 2014 we will be either invited to B1G or ACC. The B1G would be my first choice, but if it is the ACC so be it. Obviously either situation is better than where we are now.

GG

Reaction Score
Both the ACC and the B1G will be falling over each oth
er to extend invites to UCONN before the end of 2014. It will be interesting to see where UCONN goes. I would guess a 70/30 chance for the Big 1G/ACC. That being said, Herbst's #1 and #2 priorities now will be to gain membership in the AAU and increase UCONN's endowment. Warde's major priorities will be the basketball practice facility and giving Coach Diaco everything he wants.

I am a UCONN fan and obviously believe that we should be in a P5 conference, but what makes you believe this?

Reaction Score
I am a UCONN fan and obviously believe that we should be in a P5 conference, but what makes you believe this?
He also purchased his mega millions ticket

Reaction Score
"Falling over each other"? Where's your proof? The B1G has been cordial but noncommittal. The ACC, on the other hand, has some institutions that vehemently oppose UConn's admission (BCU, Miami, FSU?) UConn's biggest allies for ACC admission may be UNC, Duke, & ND.
I agree that UConn needs to get its house in order to make itself as attractive as possible. That said, I feel that UConn's only shot is the B1G, & not for at least 5 years.

Reaction Score
Still have2 ask the guestion " WHAT THE HELL HSPPENED TO BE EXCLUDED" . Just football , obviously more than that.

Reaction Score
Nothing "the hell" happened.

Just some ACC programs preferred to not add yet another northeastern team and desired a football program that wasn't the third tier sport at the school of choice. Since FSU joined the ACC in 1992, which then was a southern-mid Atlantic conference...Boston College and Syracuse had been added (both of which are in FSU's division). For FSU and Clemson, travelling to another school in the northeast was not particularly appetizing.

Maryland leaves, opens a spot in FSU/Clemson's division....Louisville is peaking in sports with a College World Series baseball team, A BCS game winning football team, a National Champion basketball team....why not add Louisville over UConn?

Oh..yeah...the New York market. Well...that wasn't a seller.

Seems like Cuse and BC wouldn't be clamoring for UConn either....competition in their arena.

Reaction Score
Nothing "the hell" happened.

Just some ACC programs preferred to not add yet another northeastern team and desired a football program that wasn't the third tier sport at the school of choice. Since FSU joined the ACC in 1992, which then was a southern-mid Atlantic conference...Boston College and Syracuse had been added (both of which are in FSU's division). For FSU and Clemson, travelling to another school in the northeast was not particularly appetizing.

Maryland leaves, opens a spot in FSU/Clemson's division....Louisville is peaking in sports with a College World Series baseball team, A BCS game winning football team, a National Champion basketball team....why not add Louisville over UConn?

Oh..yeah...the New York market. Well...that wasn't a seller.

Seems like Cuse and BC wouldn't be clamoring for UConn either....competition in their arena.

You're full troll mode now.

Early in the year we got to hear from ACC fans about how Ville would roll through the AAC. Given Ville's performance over the years in our conference, I knew that wasn't going to happen. They are no better than any of the other teams that joined your conference, and you'll find that out quickly.

Reaction Score
Just what do you not agree with in my statement?

That FSU wasn't thrilled about adding another NE team to its division?

That Louisville, under Strong, had a football program that was peaking at the right time...that Louisville's basketball was good and so was baseball?

Just what?

Or is it just anger that you are expressing that Louisville was taken?

Reaction Score
Louisville won all but one game this year...the 3 point close loss to UCF.

Reaction Score
Just what do you not agree with in my statement?

That FSU wasn't thrilled about adding another NE team to its division?

That Louisville, under Strong, had a football program that was peaking at the right time...that Louisville's basketball was good and so was baseball?

Just what?

Or is it just anger that you are expressing that Louisville was taken?

Louisville is mediocre at football.

You take shots at UConn football for Uconn not prioritizing it, even though UConn has sunk $165 million into facilities recently, and has ramped it u quickly to the point where it held winning records against the 3 teams that ACC just added. You denigrate football here and pump up Ville, it's ridiculous.

Ville played no one this year, and like the last year in the BE, they lost key games.

When UConn beat Louisville alst year during one of Ville's best seasons, many considered it an anomaly. But I didn't given Ville's performance over the entire year. Even against one of UConn's worst teams of the last decade. And then Ville impressed in a win against Florida, but as we've seen, that program has completely imploded. Ville's win is as impressive as Bethune Cookman's.

Reaction Score
I take no shots at UConn football....it just isn't good lately.

UConn is a basketball school...that's just the truth..no shot.

So is Duke and UNC.....and, maybe, Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I take no shots at UConn football....it just isn't good lately.

UConn is a basketball school...that's just the truth..no shot.

So is Duke and UNC.....and, maybe, Syracuse.

It is a shot.

UConn has put a lot into football and wants to win.

Here's another shot: you say "maybe" Syracuse but classify UConn as bball?

You're not even aware that UConn has dominated Syracuse in football.

Reaction Score
I say "maybe Syracuse"...only because Syracuse has a past football tradition...not much of late, though. But in the way back they did go to the Cotton, Fiesta, Orange, etc.

I am only aware of UConn primarily as a WVU watcher...UConn is 1-7 against the Eers.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If you're going to say Syracuse is a "maybe" football school because of what happened over 50 years ago, might we direct you to our BOT Larry McHugh, who would like to tell you all about how Connecticut was a hotbed of football in the 30s and 40s!

"I think it's a huge fan base," McHugh said. "Football in general in Connecticut, it's always been popular. You look at the crowds in 1920s and 1930s and 1940s at the Yale Bowl. ... There's a history here and there's still a base of football fans here. I think that base can be activated and we can just get the enthusiasm back. I'm very optimistic."

Reaction Score
I am talking since 1990...Syracuse has beaten Michigan, Texas, and Ohio State.....

Cuse isn't great at football, I grant you. Now I am older then you young guys and I remember guys like Jim Brown and of course, Larry Czonka....

Re Women's Basketball televised schedule..

This is the NCAA's complete TV listing....interesting how many are regional broadcasts or network (BTN)..

http://www.ncaa.com/content/womens-basketball-tv-schedule

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I take no shots at UConn football....it just isn't good lately.]

The two quotes below seem a little churlish..err..trollish:

"desired a football program that wasn't the third tier sport at the school of choice"
"Oh..yeah...the New York market. Well...that wasn't a seller.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I know, I was just giving you a hard time.

Ironic that the Cuse were good in the 90s under the tutelage of Paul Pasqualoni…a hire that many fans around the country point to as UCONN not "investing" in football, eh?

Dooley

Reaction Score
This is why us UCONN fans have a VERY hard time accepting the argument from fans outside of the northeast that the Fruit Flies are a better "football school" than UCONN…

Fruit Flies since UCONN made the move up to the Rent:
2012 Big East 8-5 390 322 Doug Marrone Pinstripe Bowl
2011 Big East 5-7 290 342 Doug Marrone
2010 Big East 8-5 252 217 Doug Marrone Pinstripe Bowl
2009 Big East 4-8 254 335 Doug Marrone
2008 Big East 3-9 217 392 Greg Robinson
2007 Big East 2-10 197 418 Greg Robinson
2006 Big East 4-8 209 295 Greg Robinson
2005 Big East 1-10 152 295 Greg Robinson
2004 Big East 6-6 287 344 Paul Pasqualoni Champs Sports Bowl
2003 Big East 6-6 321 301 Paul Pasqualoni

UCONN since we made the move up to the Rent:
2012 Big East 5-7 213 238 Paul Pasqualoni
2011 Big East 5-7 292 292 Paul Pasqualoni
2010 Big East 8-4 323 238 Randy Edsall Fiesta Bowl
2009 Big East 8-5 405 307 Randy Edsall Papajohns.com Bowl
2008 Big East 8-5 324 257 Randy Edsall International Bowl
2007 Big East 9-4 344 247 Randy Edsall Meineke Car Care Bowl
2006 Big East 4-8 257 324 Randy Edsall
2005 Big East 5-6 272 211 Randy Edsall
2004 Big East 8-4 363 260 Randy Edsall Motor City Bowl
2003 Independent 9-3 408 300 Randy Edsall

*2013 records conveniently omitted :cool:

Not much difference and we own the head to head record against them too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr