#20 UConn v. Holy Cross Crusaders (Friday 10/13/23 @7p @Hart Center & Saturday 10/14/23 @7p @Toscano) Friday game on NESN+/ Saturday game on ESPN+ | Page 6 | The Boneyard

#20 UConn v. Holy Cross Crusaders (Friday 10/13/23 @7p @Hart Center & Saturday 10/14/23 @7p @Toscano) Friday game on NESN+/ Saturday game on ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oh, did they switch back again to where everyone makes the tournament? I would disagree on Holy Cross. I thought UConn would take a step back this year. They lost some good players to graduation. I figured this year they would finish in the 7 to 9 spot.
I thought they would take a step back too because they did not fill the losses of Pearson and Tverberg adequately and they didn’t bring in at least one dman.

The problem is after this season they are losing about ten guys. So you’re looking at another rebuilding year next season.

Reaction Score
Problems:

1. D zone play has not been good. Every season it’s not great.
2. Power play is awful
3. Outside of Wood and Richard the offense is non existent
4. Losing Pearson and Tverberg and replacing them with Mahshie and not bringing in another veteran transfer has been a disaster
5. Can they please put Samu with at least 1 offensive threat? Bradley or Wood? I’ll even accept Muldowney

Reaction Score
What was the mess??
The lines are a work in progress (or should be) - it’s early in the year but something seems off (it’s not just knocking off the rust). They need to figure it out. Having Bradley back will help some.

If you don’t think the PP remains a disaster @ this point - you’re not being honest.

It’s early and I hope the queasiness goes away soon.

Reaction Score
The lines are a work in progress (or should be) - it’s early in the year but something seems off (it’s not just knocking off the rust). They need to figure it out. Having Bradley back will help some.

If you don’t think the PP remains a disaster @ this point - you’re not being honest.

It’s early and I hope the queasiness goes away soon.
Other than Wood they don’t really have any highly skilled offensive players. They have a lot of grinders. Teams will just focus on Wood, and right now he is more of a shooter than anything else. I don’t think he can drive a line yet.

Reaction Score
This is probably a crazy take but has Cavanaugh reached his ceiling as head coach?
Reasonable question! Cav was out coached - pure and simple. HC was more disciplined at both ends of the ice. That allowed them to control the puck even though we apparently had the SOG advantage.

Two brutal loses before the Ides of October puts us in a guano position. At this point, we have go deep in HE to even get a sniff. So sadly, it is reasonable to ask if this is the ceiling for Cav.

In contrast, HC coach Riga (out of QU - Pecknold's assistant ), was clearly the better coach at Toscano tonight.

Reaction Score
Holy Cross isn’t good, guys.

This is a catastrophe.
Thanks for the stark reality check. This is a huge setback. You can't put enough lipstick on this pig!

Reaction Score
Holy Cross isn’t good, guys.

This is a catastrophe.
I wouldn’t say it’s a catastrophe, it’s a set back. UConn will get better as the season goes on. They are a middle of the pack Hockey East team. They will win some games and lose some games. Tonight they played hard but ran into shot goalie. That happens.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say it’s a catastrophe, it’s a set back. UConn will get better as the season goes on. They are a middle of the pack Hockey East team. They will win some games and lose some games. Tonight they played hard but ran into shot goalie. That happens.
I must disagree with you. The Hot goalie excuse wears thin quickly when you look at the difference in coaching preparation and in game adjustments.
Riga must have had his boys look at the UML tape from last March. We got bottled up in the Neutral Zone all night. Our shot quantity was ok, but shot quality was lacking.

We have the talent to beat HC 4 of 5, 8 of 10 and we put up a stinker WE. We were on our heels for 30 minutes and did start to show some discipline and vigor. However, HC made some quick defensive adjustments to keep us at bay. Riga's in game performance was solid. Reminds me of Pecknold.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

They’re not supposed to be a middle of the pack Hockey East team. They’re supposed to be a top end Hockey East team. They lose a third of this roster after this year and have to rebuild.

Everything for the last 11 years was built specifically for this team to peak right now. Everything.

If this roster isn’t good enough, it isn’t the roster anymore. It just isn’t.

Reaction Score
They’re not supposed to be a middle of the pack Hockey East team. They’re supposed to be a top end Hockey East team. They lose a third of this roster after this year and have to rebuild.

Everything for the last 11 years was built specifically for this team to peak right now. Everything.

If this roster isn’t good enough, it isn’t the roster anymore. It just isn’t.
I’m sure UConn will improve as the season goes on. Rome wasn’t built in a day. I will take a few weeks for the younger players to adjust.

Reaction Score
I give Holy Cross credit. They don’t even fake trying to have an offensive game plan.
They suffocate you on defense, they all drop bodies in front of every shot attempt, etc.
when you make one mistake tbey convert.

Over four periods going back to last night they put 15 shots on net. And won twice.

Our faceoffs are horrid. Our power play is horrid.
Of course we hit crossbar right before the first period ended. And the goal not allowed after review when it looked like the entire arm of the goalie was over the line. Oh well:’

Reaction Score
You know what we need to jolt this program back in place?
A game at the XL Center. Yeah I said it.
Toscano is nice and all but it’s been a lot of bad vibes since we moved there. Certainly no home ice advantage.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
This is probably a crazy take but has Cavanaugh reached his ceiling as head coach?
I've said it before, Cavanaugh can't win a big game. Now he's losing games he should win. Look at his record & accomplishments over the last five years, blindly. If that was a BB coach at UConn (especially lack of NCAA appearances, a higher % of hockey teams make the tournament than hoops), Husky fans would be screaming for his job. If he doesn't turn this mess around very quickly, time to show him the door out if Storrs.

Reaction Score
I’m sure UConn will improve as the season goes on. Rome wasn’t built in a day. I will take a few weeks for the younger players to adjust.
We scored 1 goal over 2 games. Against Holy Cross! No chance at an NCAA bid and it’s October

Reaction Score
After this season the program is looking at another rebuild. The roster potentially could lose 10 players. With that happening, the program is going to be wasting another few years before they can be taken seriously again.

Cavanaugh has stated multiple times how he never liked having to replace a large group of players. Well once again it is staring him in the face. That falls on Cavanaugh.

I absolutely hated their off season. They have Matthew Wood, a talent they won’t be getting again anytime soon, and they are wasting it. They lost Tverberg, Amonte, and Pearson, and only brought in Mahshie, who has done absolutely nothing. They should have went all in to take advantage of Wood being here. They didn’t. That falls on Cavanaugh.

For a program that wants to compete nationally, the roster is bloated with 4th liners.

I am still waiting for the uptick in recruiting due to having a new $75 million on campus home.

Reaction Score
Well Cav has been at it for 11 years - time enough to become somewhat consistent. Rome wasn't built in a day, but 11 years is more than enough time to build a hockey program. We're not talking 3-4 years - it is year 11!

Reaction Score
Holy Cross is a really good hockey team. Really impressed with how tenacious they are.
We don't know how good they are. It's too early. In any event it's a wasted opportunity.

Reaction Score
I don’t notice breakaway speed on this team like in years past. Tverberg had it. Ronan had it. I’m sure there are a few others along the way I’m forgetting.
Speed can help against a team like Holy Cross who wants to grind the game to a slow crawl.
To be fair we did but a crossbar with seconds to go in the first and did potentially have a goal not counted depending on where the puck was when the HC goalie was swimming on his back.
But that’s the difference between a game being scoreless and down 1. Once holy cross took the lead the game just was a slog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom