OT: - Zion Williamson will cover Smoothie King Center workers' pay for next 30 days while NBA paused | The Boneyard

OT: Zion Williamson will cover Smoothie King Center workers' pay for next 30 days while NBA paused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
19 years old. Very cool of him to do this:

"The people of New Orleans have been incredibly welcoming and supportive since I was drafted by the Pels last June, and some of the most special people I have met are those who work at the Smoothie King Center," Williamson wrote on Instagram. "These are the folks who make our games possible, creating the perfect environment for our fans and everyone involved in the organization. Unfortunately, many of them are still recovering from long-term challenges created by Katrina, and now face the economic impact of the postponement of games because of the virus."

He continued: "My mother has always set an example for me about being respectful for others and being grateful for what we have, and so today I am pledging to cover the salaries for all of those Smoothie King Center workers for the next 30 days. This is a small way for me to express my support and appreciation for these wonderful people who have been so great to me and my teammates, and hopefully we can all join together to relieve some of the stress and hardship caused by this national health crisis. This is an incredibly resilient city full of some of the most resilient people but sometimes providing a little extra assistance can make things a little easier for the community."

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The owner is a BILLIONAIRE. Why aren’t they stepping up publicly
Mark Cuban stepped upped yesterday and will pay for workers at the Mav's stadium.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Mark Cuban stepped upped yesterday and will pay for workers at the Mav's stadium.
Yeah I heard Cuban unequivocally saying that and more yesterday and should have mentioned that in the OP. I was also impressed with Cuban, whom I really like most of the time (and the Shark with whom I usually agree). But for a 19 year old kid to do this is pretty freaking awesome imo. I don’t care how much money he has; this is wise wayyy beyond his years.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Damn you 8893 don’t ever put me in position of liking a dukie
Sorry. I went to Cameron last year to root against him and I fell in awe. I’m a total fan.

PS: The Dead played there. That’s gotta count for something.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Sorry. I went to Cameron last year to root against him and I fell in awe. I’m a total fan.

PS: The Dead played there. That’s gotta count for something.
I know. Jerry on fiya

You’ll never see another show where he is absolutely groovin this hard

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I know. Jerry on fiya

You’ll never see another show where he is absolutely groovin this hard

and now, the dead are here. lovely, in a post about a young and very much living dude who just did a major solid. lovely.

Reaction Score
Saw that. Good on Zion and KLove. But seems wild that it’s the players and not the guys who sign their checks to step up publicly first.

Owners have an inability tO give away money like that. It isn’t in their DNA. I don’t know why all these owners wouldn’t do this ither than they personally don’t understand how difficult it is going. To Get. Good for Zion.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Yeah I heard Cuban unequivocally saying that and more yesterday and should have mentioned that in the OP. I was also impressed with Cuban, whom I really like most of the time (and the Shark with whom I usually agree). But for a 19 year old kid to do this is pretty freaking awesome imo. I don’t care how much money he has; this is wise wayyy beyond his years.
Yes - you are correct - definitely awesome from a 19 year old kid in his first contract instead of owners or players who have already banked 100s of millions.

Reaction Score
I have two seperate friends who have multiple stories about Cuban and what an awesome guy he is.

Think I already told these stories here but...

One friend is a makeup artist and she says he's by far the nicest celebrity she's worked with and besides being super nice he hooked her up with all sorts of merch, she raves about him.

Another friend is president of the dads club at his kids' elementary school. A group of dads who meet at school periodically for breakfast with the students. And do other stuff to support the school. Now and then they get a guest speaker to come and speak at breakfast. He randomly cold emailed Mark Cuban asking him if he'd come speak to the kids, thinking there's no chance in hell he would hear anything back. Cuban replied like a minute later and said sure, happy to, when and where do you want me. Was as easy as that. Completely cold email to a guy who probably gets thousands a day. Cuban showed up at school alone, drove himself there, and gave an amazing talk then hung out with the kids for a while.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Owners have an inability tO give away money like that. It isn’t in their DNA. I don’t know why all these owners wouldn’t do this ither than they personally don’t understand how difficult it is going. To Get. Good for Zion.

john love your work really appreciate everything you do.

and Yes, the mega rich don’t get/stay rich by giving it away.

Reaction Score
john love your work really appreciate everything you do.

and Yes, the mega rich don’t get/stay rich by giving it away.
But once they are mega rich, covering a dozen laborers' salaries for a month wouldn't even amount to a rounding error in their accounting. And yet many don't do it. I think thats the point some here are making.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Maybe Gayle Benson's mother was an absolute bitch.

Reaction Score
Cmon. Why should everyone just give away their money. It’s a very nice gesture but shaming for not doing it is absurd

Reaction Score
Are you serious? Because the owners are billionaires. It's not giving away money, it's helping your fellow man who is struggling, it's financially supporting your workers.
So you want to shame any of them who don’t give away tons of money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak