OT: - Zion Williamson will cover Smoothie King Center workers' pay for next 30 days while NBA paused | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Zion Williamson will cover Smoothie King Center workers' pay for next 30 days while NBA paused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fantastic story but it should have never come to that. Sick/paid leave and medical should be mandatory, by law, for all employers to provide for employees. But since it is not, we can see some very generous people really pitching in and helping the lives of many. Thanks a lot OP, you made me like a Dukie.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
So you want to shame any of them who don’t give away tons of money
They should absolutely be shamed, yes!! It is immoral to sit on piles of money to begin with. And when tragedy strikes and you have been the beneficiary in society, it's your duty to pay it back.

People need to stop thinking like individuals - we are a society. I want the next person to be as happy and as healthy as I am.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
OK, Zion's gone and done the impossible. Made me like and respect a Dukie.
The last one I could tolerate was Gminski, and that was only because I played in a rec league with his father for a couple years, and that was pre-K.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The owner is a BILLIONAIRE. Why aren’t they stepping up publicly
Because they don't get to be billionaires by giving their money to the help.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Because they don't get to be billionaires by giving their money to the help.
I know, right? Can you IMAGINE the shame in going from a billionaire to a multi-millionaire?

It's far more important to retain the label of "billionaire" than it is to help people and society.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have two seperate friends who have multiple stories about Cuban and what an awesome guy he is.

Think I already told these stories here but...

One friend is a makeup artist and she says he's by far the nicest celebrity she's worked with and besides being super nice he hooked her up with all sorts of merch, she raves about him.

Another friend is president of the dads club at his kids' elementary school. A group of dads who meet at school periodically for breakfast with the students. And do other stuff to support the school. Now and then they get a guest speaker to come and speak at breakfast. He randomly cold emailed Mark Cuban asking him if he'd come speak to the kids, thinking there's no chance in hell he would hear anything back. Cuban replied like a minute later and said sure, happy to, when and where do you want me. Was as easy as that. Completely cold email to a guy who probably gets thousands a day. Cuban showed up at school alone, drove himself there, and gave an amazing talk then hung out with the kids for a while.

I work with a guy who used to do maintenance on corporate jets. One of his company's clients was Cuban. He said far and away Cuban was top notch when it came to being normal and interacting with the maintenance crew and pilots.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The last one I could tolerate was Gminski, and that was only because I played in a rec league with his father for a couple years, and that was pre-K.
How tall was his father? Our HS team played Mike in the HS playoffs, our center was 6-2. It was basically Walton v Memphis State.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't see the need to trash the Benson's directly. Her late hubby and Gayle have been very generous for decades for multiple causes throughout New Orleans and the gulf coast area. She definitely isn't a penny clutching scrooge.
I don't think it's necessary for each team or ownership group to go public with what they are doing. Some actually believe charity is best done anonymously and behind the scenes.
I would assume each franchise's arrangement for employees, stadium/arena use and management of those facilities is different and it may take a bit of time to figure out how to cut checks to the employees. That being said, a public proclamation of what a team plans to do would probably calm some anxieties of the workers.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
How tall was his father? Our HS team played Mike in the HS playoffs, our center was 6-2. It was basically Walton v Memphis State.
His dad was 6-8 and played, uhm... physical. He actually wanted Mike to concentrate on baseball, until Mike got taller than him by the time he was in the 7th grade.

Reaction Score
Of course, shaming them is probably the only way to force some of them to do what is absolutely necessary and right.

This has to be some weird form of trolling by you.
You haven’t interacted with or read the guy much, I take it

Reaction Score
That’s a man doing what’s right. No questions asked, just stepping up. Zion goes to #1 in my book. We all need to step up in whatever ways we can. The virus is nothing compared to the economic damage, job losses and ripple effects coming our way.

Simple ideas:
Double your tips
Continue to pay your regular maintenance guys (house cleaners, lawn care, etc.. even if they can show up).
Order take out and delivery from your local restaurants
Offer your elderly neighbor to pick up groceries and Medicines
Buy 2 or 3 sanitizers and leave some for the next guy

other ideas?

Reaction Score
Double your tips
lol maybe if you don’t live in an urban area where you’re already paying $8 for a beer before tipping them to hold a glass and pull a handle for 10 seconds... I get the sentiment though

The rest is nice

Reaction Score
I work with a guy who used to do maintenance on corporate jets. One of his company's clients was Cuban. He said far and away Cuban was top notch when it came to being normal and interacting with the maintenance crew and pilots.
This is nice, but I think we might want to pump the brakes on praising a billionaire business owner for paying his most-dependent employees. A) several other teams are doing it and B) I actually heard Broussard say that Cuban is making said employees do community service to get paid. So literally putting them in the public, in harms way, to get the money that’s been taken from them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is nice, but I think we might want to pump the brakes on praising a billionaire business owner for paying his most-dependent employees. A) several other teams are doing it and B) I actually heard Broussard say that Cuban is making said employees do community service to get paid. So literally putting them in the public, in harms way, to get the money that’s been taken from them.

I don't have a problem with Cuban having employees, I don't know, do work, to get paid. There's probably plenty of outreach the Mavericks franchise can do and it seems normal to pay people to do work rather than sit at home.

Reaction Score
Everyone should do it and will do it, whether they're shamed into it or it's league mandated.

Your first mistake is listening to Broussard. He's the biggest hack in the industry and Cuban has had to body him before over his hackery. Cuban is 10 times the man that hack is and will do the right thing by his employees like he always does.

Reaction Score
Everyone should do it and will do it, whether they're shamed into it or it's league mandated.

Your first mistake is listening to Broussard. He's the biggest hack in the industry and Cuban has had to body him before over his hackery. Cuban is 10 times the man that hack is and will do the right thing by his employees like he always does.
You saying he’s lying?

Reaction Score
You saying he’s lying?
Probably or going off faulty info while not knowing the situation which he does all the time.

You think Cuban is forcing his workers to do community service putting them in harms way? Come on, think for a second.

Reaction Score
Probably or going off faulty info while not knowing the situation which he does all the time.

You think Cuban is forcing his workers to do community service putting them in harms way? Come on, think for a second.
Aren't we trying to limit person-to-person contact as much as reasonably achievable? And you're gonna have them volunteer at a soup kitchen or a church or something? In a major metropolitan area? And if schools are closed, they have to then find childcare? I think I've thought for a second longer than you.

Reaction Score
Aren't we trying to limit person-to-person contact as much as reasonably achievable? And you're gonna have them volunteer at a soup kitchen or a church or something? In a major metropolitan area? And if schools are closed, they have to then find childcare? I think I've thought for a second longer than you.
I'm guessing you know as much about what Cuban is doing as Broussard does.

This is really bad on your part.

Reaction Score
Are you not reading what you're responding to? His entire point is Cuban would never force those people to volunteer

Reaction Score
I'm guessing you know as much about what Cuban is doing as Broussard does.

This is really bad on your part.
All I said was to pump the brakes. If it's not true, it's not true. How that reflects on me is a mystery to me lol

Curiouser
Reaction Score
All I said was to pump the brakes. If it's not true, it's not true. How that reflects on me is a mystery to me lol
Cuban said "we may ask them to volunteer" when he first announced it. It was clear that he was just trying to say that they'll figure something out to take care of them. I'd pump the brakes on spreading baseless rumors that he's "making said employees do community service to get paid" and putting them in soup kitchens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom