OT: - Zion Williamson will cover Smoothie King Center workers' pay for next 30 days while NBA paused | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Zion Williamson will cover Smoothie King Center workers' pay for next 30 days while NBA paused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cuban said "we may ask them to volunteer" when he first announced it. It was clear that he was just trying to say that they'll figure something out to take care of them. I'd pump the brakes on spreading baseless rumors that he's "making said employees do community service to get paid" and putting them in soup kitchens.
I have no brakes to pump. It’s not “baseless” given the quote you yourself provided. And I just brought up the general concern of asking people to volunteer, which often takes place in a busy place helping lots of people.

Reaction Score
I have no brakes to pump. It’s not “baseless” given the quote you yourself provided. And I just brought up the general concern of asking people to volunteer, which often takes place in a busy place helping lots of people.
Maybe you don't know Broussard's history and how he's viewed in the profession. He's known as a hack/liar and has a history of hating and lying about Cuban and getting taken to the woodshed by Cuban. I thought Broussard must have one of his inside "scoops" fabrications about Cuban putting his employees in harms way by forcing them to work in soup kitchens to get paid. Broussard and you are just going off of Cuban's public comments the other day?

Reaction Score
Maybe you don't know Broussard's history and how he's viewed in the profession. He's known as a hack/liar and has a history of hating and lying about Cuban and getting taken to the woodshed by Cuban. I thought Broussard must have one of his inside "scoops" fabrications about Cuban putting his employees in harms way by forcing them to work in soup kitchens to get paid. Broussard and you are just going off of Cuban's public comments the other day?
I mean everyone gets things wrong in journalism but no I'm not privy to some special reputation you claim he has among his peers, nor that he has some special hatred for Cuban such that he risks his professional reputation in order to slander him (if you seriously claim he outright lies). I'd like some links to that evidence.

And what else, besides his public comments, would anyone have to go off of? lol

Reaction Score
I mean everyone gets things wrong in journalism but no I'm not privy to some special reputation you claim he has among his peers, nor that he has some special hatred for Cuban such that he risks his professional reputation in order to slander him (if you seriously claim he outright lies). I'd like some links to that evidence.

And what else, besides his public comments, would anyone have to go off of? lol
You are privy to it. This isn't some special secret about Broussard. You have google.

You said Cuban was putting his employees in harms was by forcing them to work in soup kitchens to get paid. I figured this was one of Broussard's "scoops."

Reaction Score
You are privy to it. This isn't some special secret about Broussard. You have google.
I frankly don't care that much to google anything. I've seen the "sources" meme but I figured that was over one big rumor he got wrong; which, again, happens to everyone in journalism with the balls to put speculation that they're hearing, from whom they deem credible sources, out there.

You said Cuban was putting his employees in harms was by forcing them to work in soup kitchens to get paid. I figured this was one of Broussard's "scoops."
We'll see exactly what "asking them to volunteer", which Cuban said himself, turns out to mean. And I didn't necessarily mean soup kitchens. It's just the first thing someone thinks of. I was making, again, the general point that you're usually interacting with many people in a large gathering when you volunteer. During a time in which we are being told to avoid as such as much as reasonably achievable; by the way, my hospital system has been telling all volunteers to not come in. If he's wrong, he's wrong; and at most overreacted to the initial quote.

Reaction Score
Typical Boneyard. Has to deteriorate into a contest.

A great player, a rookie on his first contract yet, shows the values instilled in him by his mother, and the thread deteriorates into arguments about Cuban and others. Owners may be somewhat impacted by employment law or maybe are just plain selfish/cheap, so why drag them into a story about the actions of a generous player?

My immediate thought was, how nice a young man he must be. To see a player, who like so many others came from nothing and was made instantly wealthy after one year of college basketball, make such a generous gesture should be celebrated.

AND, I think it's fair to ask why other players haven't done more for charities. It makes me laugh when I see some fabulously wealthy athlete who will earn $250 million or more in his career talk about "giving back" when he plays in a charity golf tournament or shows up at some other event as part of the celebrity lineup. Too bad more don't have Zion's values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom