Zags: NBA Scouts on Hawkins, Jackson and Clingan | The Boneyard

Zags: NBA Scouts on Hawkins, Jackson and Clingan

Reaction Score
Scout #2 is kind of where I'm at: Hawkins and Jackson need to show more consistency and a more well-rounded game at this level before NBA GMs are going to trust them with a 1st round pick. Jackson may be a 4-year guy. Hawkins probably 3 unless he really shows something consistently this year.

Clingan, wow, the scouts are really big on "can't teach height", and Clingan unlike many others actually has the skill to go with it. He'll be a 2-3 year guy (as soon as Sanogo leaves and he gets to showcase his ability).

Reaction Score
Scout #2 is kind of where I'm at: Hawkins and Jackson need to show more consistency and a more well-rounded game at this level before NBA GMs are going to trust them with a 1st round pick. Jackson may be a 4-year guy. Hawkins probably 3 unless he really shows something consistently this year.

Clingan, wow, the scouts are really big on "can't teach height", and Clingan unlike many others actually has the skill to go with it. He'll be a 2-3 year guy (as soon as Sanogo leaves and he gets to showcase his ability).
With the skillset NBA guys have these days at 6’9”-6’10” and some at even 7’, I struggle with how DC will be used in the NBA. He seems a lot like a traditional center. I’m not saying he won’t do well, I just can’t get my head around what he’ll look like on the court by then. I can see him becoming deadly from 3, but I have trouble seeing him drive to the hoop.

Who is he most comparable to these days? I don’t watch too much NBA anymore.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nice to see them all getting attention. Sanogo should too. I have a hard time seeing a team draft Jackson, but he'd be highly sought as an undrafted FA. Maybe late 2nd is worth a shot. He just needs to be so much better as a scorer.

Hawkins can shoot, but so can Joey C, and any number of Ivy and Patriot league kids. For Hawkins he needs to keep making those quick, difficult shots and show he can attack the hoop, defend and rebound. Still needs maybe 10 pounds of muscle, he'll be dealing with bigger, faster guys at the next level.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Hawkins could go first-round, the others will be second rounders. I'd expect them to go and try to get a g-league contract for a million like Rese.
Tyrese is on a standard NBA contract, not a 2-way or a G League contract, but he's playing down with the G League team right now. Big difference in $$$, regular contract is twice as much $$ as 2-way. I believe he is in the minority with regards to getting the standard contract as a 2nd Rd pick, certainly as a late 2nd Rd pick

Reaction Score
walker kessler was drafted in the 1st round (#22) this summer. 7'1 245 lb traditional C not a freak athlete.

he averaged 11 and 8 with 4.5 blks per game at auburn. now he plays 15 mpg on a good jazz team.

clingan will be better than him if he isnt already. i just hope we can have him for 2 seasons at this point...

Reaction Score
I don’t see Clingan lasting more than 2 years. Once he gets 30 mins a game and shows off his passing ability and starts stepping out to hit 3s he’s going top 10 minimum.
I'd be thrilled if we get him for 2 year. I forget what thread, but another poster shared an article where a scout said Clingan will be a first rounder in whatever draft he decides to enter.

Reaction Score
With the skillset NBA guys have these days at 6’9”-6’10” and some at even 7’, I struggle with how DC will be used in the NBA. He seems a lot like a traditional center. I’m not saying he won’t do well, I just can’t get my head around what he’ll look like on the court by then. I can see him becoming deadly from 3, but I have trouble seeing him drive to the hoop.

7-footers who can rebound and block shots still have a place in the NBA and probably always will. they just don't get massive contracts unless they have guard skills (e.g. jokic and embiid) or are absolutely transcendent on d (e.g. rudy gobert)

as @bendm stated, kessler is a good recent comp. a guy like valunciunas does more on the offensive end, but could be a good comp as well. the recent zags article had zubac as a comp. these types of players are all over the league.

Reaction Score
According to Sports Illustrated, an American man between 6'6' " and 6'8" has 0.07% chance of making the NBA. For someone 7-foot or taller, the number is 17%. Clingan is definitely going to the NBA.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Sounds like Hawkins could go first-round, the others will be second rounders. I'd expect them to go and try to get a g-league contract for a million like Rese.

Sounds like Clingan is a first rounder, Hawkins is borderline, and Jackson is a second rounder.

Reaction Score
I don’t see Clingan lasting more than 2 years. Once he gets 30 mins a game and shows off his passing ability and starts stepping out to hit 3s he’s going top 10 minimum.
We’ll be lucky if he stays 2.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd be thrilled if we get him for 2 year. I forget what thread, but another poster shared an article where a scout said Clingan will be a first rounder in whatever draft he decides to enter.
Clingan will be a first rounder, whenever he leaves, but he will continue to move up in the first round as he gains experience. And if he hangs around till his junior year, I think he’ll be a very high pick as big as he is, and he’s huge, he still looks more like a high school kid than a college athlete. With time, experience and strength and conditioning, he is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

So, here’s my hot take, Hawkins to me, doesn’t look ready to leave, yet. Don’t get me wrong, he’s talented enough to leave, and would be drafted, but I think he would benefit from another year of maturity and strength and conditioning. I may have a different opinion by the end of the year, though.

Andre, I expect to be gone at the end of the year. There’s plenty of things I’d like to see him work on, but his extraordinary physical gifts are enough to get him drafted. I think it’s unlikely he would stay.

No insider info there, that’s just my opinion. I know a lot of people disagree with me about Jordan.

Reaction Score
Curious - anybody know where Edey is mocked to be drafted right now?

Reaction Score
Clingan will be a first rounder, whenever he leaves, but he will continue to move up in the first round as he gains experience. And if he hangs around till his junior year, I think he’ll be a very high pick as big as he is, and he’s huge, he still looks more like a high school kid than a college athlete. With time, experience and strength and conditioning, he is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

So, here’s my hot take, Hawkins to me, doesn’t look ready to leave, yet. Don’t get me wrong, he’s talented enough to leave, and would be drafted, but I think he would benefit from another year of maturity and strength and conditioning. I may have a different opinion by the end of the year, though.

Andre, I expect to be gone at the end of the year. There’s plenty of things I’d like to see him work on, but his extraordinary physical gifts are enough to get him drafted. I think it’s unlikely he would stay.

No insider info there, that’s just my opinion. I know a lot of people disagree with me about Jordan.
It's so early to speculate but I think Jackson will be the only one coming back out of Hawkins, Sanogo, and Jackson. I think Hawk will be a lottery pick if he shoots 45% from three this season and shows well in his workouts. He's showing NBA moves to get his threes off and his release is so quick, he also plays great D.

It's kind of hard for me to envision Sanogo in the NBA, but he'll have a shot. Jackson will play in the NBA.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Nice to see them all getting attention. Sanogo should too. I have a hard time seeing a team draft Jackson, but he'd be highly sought as an undrafted FA. Maybe late 2nd is worth a shot. He just needs to be so much better as a scorer.

Hawkins can shoot, but so can Joey C, and any number of Ivy and Patriot league kids. For Hawkins he needs to keep making those quick, difficult shots and show he can attack the hoop, defend and rebound. Still needs maybe 10 pounds of muscle, he'll be dealing with bigger, faster guys at the next level.
He has shown he can defend and rebound. I watched a ton of film from CP3s invitational camp this summer and Hawk played chest to chest with pros, ranked college kids. I agree he needs to attack the hoop better. To equate him with Patriot/Ivy and even Joey C is a bit absurd
Not sure he will go after this year
AS is a tough one due to his size. He shows a 3 point shot but needs that midrange off the dribble. Haven’t seen that yet. He may be back next year
Can you imagine the team if everyone returns a Castle as the PG. My God

MJ1

Reaction Score
NBA scouting report has him late second round. Bleacher report and ESPN mocks do not have him listed in either round.

Reaction Score
He has shown he can defend and rebound. I watched a ton of film from CP3s invitational camp this summer and Hawk played chest to chest with pros, ranked college kids. I agree he needs to attack the hoop better. To equate him with Patriot/Ivy and even Joey C is a bit absurd
Not sure he will go after this year
AS is a tough one due to his size. He shows a 3 point shot but needs that midrange off the dribble. Haven’t seen that yet. He may be back next year
Can you imagine the team if everyone returns a Castle as the PG. My God
How on earth will Sanogo be back next year? Every game starts with announcers saying “one of the best players in the country”. Regardless of any perceived flaw in his game I just don’t see it.

Reaction Score
Borderline 2nd round pick.

The nice thing about projecting where guys may end up in the draft evaluation process is that if they end up at the high end of BY expectations we'll have enjoyed a very fun ride of all our top end talent maxing out at the college level.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
Much of their final position will be based on how well they perform in the conference at NCAA tournament. At this point hearing they have NBA talent, skill sets, and interest is great. There are a ton of guys who have moved pretty easily from the early second to the mid first with a stellar tournament.

Reaction Score
I didn't interpret those snippets from scouts the same way other posters seem to have. I read those scout comments as an endorsement that all of them have questions and aren't particularly ready for this year's draft unless they want to be drafted late and play in the G league. Ironically, Hawks shooting doesn't offset concerns about his overall game, Jackson's overall game doesn't offset his lack of shooting. Clingan is most desirable long term, ie not for a couple years. It would also seem, given the omission from the article, Sanogo seems destined for more college or non nba pro. Obviously there is a lot of season to improve on those takes. If guys leave, it won't be because they are sure fire bets to stick in the nba next year.

Reaction Score
I didn't interpret those snippets from scouts the same way other posters seem to have. I read those scout comments as an endorsement that all of them have questions and aren't particularly ready for this year's draft unless they want to be drafted late and play in the G league. Ironically, Hawks shooting doesn't offset concerns about his overall game, Jackson's overall game doesn't offset his lack of shooting. Clingan is most desirable long term, ie not for a couple years. It would also seem, given the omission from the article, Sanogo seems destined for more college or non nba pro. Obviously there is a lot of season to improve on those takes. If guys leave, it won't be because they are sure fire bets to stick in the nba next year.

This, none of them should leave. Clingan won’t I am sure just a gut feeling he knows he needs to get better and play more minutes next year at least. Hawkins doesn’t finish well enough for sure but he’s ready coming off screens shooting it. Still needs to refine the handle it’s a ways away. AJ just can’t shoot and he also needs to finish better. Start trying to get to the hole and dunk actually. That floater isn’t making an NBA scout drool. Sanogo continues to struggle versus long guys and his jumpers is a set shot that takes too long to prep for. He can make oodles of cash overseas though at least doubt we get another year from him.

All good players lucky to have them. If most stay next year the only people who won’t be happy will be the rest of college basketball. And maybe a couple kids coming in who expect to log more minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom