Zags: NBA Scouts on Hawkins, Jackson and Clingan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Zags: NBA Scouts on Hawkins, Jackson and Clingan

Reaction Score
7-footers who can rebound and block shots still have a place in the NBA and probably always will. they just don't get massive contracts unless they have guard skills (e.g. jokic and embiid) or are absolutely transcendent on d (e.g. rudy gobert)

But do they have long careers if they are effective. I believe he has a nice stroke and touch. Before he leaves he will be shooting threes, just like Sanogo. I like that DH understands that his bigs need to shoot threes for the next step.

Reaction Score
This, none of them should leave. Clingan won’t I am sure just a gut feeling he knows he needs to get better and play more minutes next year at least. Hawkins doesn’t finish well enough for sure but he’s ready coming off screens shooting it. Still needs to refine the handle it’s a ways away. AJ just can’t shoot and he also needs to finish better. Start trying to get to the hole and dunk actually. That floater isn’t making an NBA scout drool. Sanogo continues to struggle versus long guys and his jumpers is a set shot that takes too long to prep for. He can make oodles of cash overseas though at least doubt we get another year from him.

All good players lucky to have them. If most stay next year the only people who won’t be happy will be the rest of college basketball. And maybe a couple kids coming in who expect to log more minutes.
NIL has made the decisions for guys like Sanogo who don’t really fit the current NBA mold much more interesting. Previously, the answer was that they really didn’t have anything left to prove and one more year wasn’t going to make that skill set more in demand, so go make some money somewhere. Now that calculus when they can come back and be a star with national exposure and NIL opportunities really changes the calculus as we’ve already seen with some big names.

Reaction Score
They all have different possible outcomes. Hawkins has the profile of someone that is more of a “prototypical” nba guard.
Jackson is a guy that some nba teams could fall in love with but others would be scared off by his weird jump shot. The form of his shot causes him to not be able to make moves to create a shot like side steps, dribble moves to pull ups, etc. that’s why he chooses to use his infamous floater instead. I’m all for it because basketball needs more unique, quirky players but I’m also not working for an nba team.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I don’t see Clingan lasting more than 2 years. Once he gets 30 mins a game and shows off his passing ability and starts stepping out to hit 3s he’s going top 10 minimum.
Agreed. DC getting respect from the people who know best.......ie NBA scouts. Just because he doesn't follow the usual pattern (HS vs. AAU, etc.) is no reason to short change him. Listen to what the scouts say. Use the eye test.

Reaction Score
How on earth will Sanogo be back next year? Every game starts with announcers saying “one of the best players in the country”. Regardless of any perceived flaw in his game I just don’t see it.
Because college basketball big men who aren't good NBA prospects stay in college now. Zach Edey, Hunter Dickinson, Drew Timme, Armando Bacot, Oscar Tshiebwe was the national player of the year last year and he returned. NBA doesn't have much interest in players like Sanogo and with NIL opportunities in college now it makes a lot more sense for players to stay, it doesn't mean he'll stay though.

Reaction Score
This, none of them should leave. Clingan won’t I am sure just a gut feeling he knows he needs to get better and play more minutes next year at least. Hawkins doesn’t finish well enough for sure but he’s ready coming off screens shooting it. Still needs to refine the handle it’s a ways away. AJ just can’t shoot and he also needs to finish better. Start trying to get to the hole and dunk actually. That floater isn’t making an NBA scout drool. Sanogo continues to struggle versus long guys and his jumpers is a set shot that takes too long to prep for. He can make oodles of cash overseas though at least doubt we get another year from him.

All good players lucky to have them. If most stay next year the only people who won’t be happy will be the rest of college basketball. And maybe a couple kids coming in who expect to log more minutes.

Great recap, especially on Hawkins. Potential is there, but as you mention he still needs to refine his handle and IMO finishing in the paint.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
How on earth will Sanogo be back next year? Every game starts with announcers saying “one of the best players in the country”. Regardless of any perceived flaw in his game I just don’t see it.

Being one of the best players in college basketball doesn't make him one of the best NBA prospects -- especially in the case of traditional bigs. Which is why Sanogo has learned to step out, etc.

The list is a mile long. Jahlil Okafor destroyed people at Duke.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Because college basketball big men who aren't good NBA prospects stay in college now. Zach Edey, Hunter Dickinson, Drew Timme, Armando Bacot, Oscar Tshiebwe was the national player of the year last year and he returned. NBA doesn't have much interest in players like Sanogo and with NIL opportunities in college now it makes a lot more sense for players to stay, it doesn't mean he'll stay though.
All 100% true. But we will have a conundrum because DC is expecting ( and warrants ) big minutes next year. The plan is Adama gone next year. I’d welcome him back obviously, but that brings a different set of issues. All those other guys you mentioned don’t have Clingan waiting in wings.

A 1st world issue.

Reaction Score
Great recap, especially on Hawkins. Potential is there, but as you mention he still needs to refine his handle and IMO finishing in the paint.
Right but NBA guys will tell him the same things except that he can refine his game better in the NBA than in college. They generally think that college isn’t very good for player development. I think it all depends on the program and of course the kid

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
It seems like we have a perfect mix of great college players each with their own flaws that will stop them from leaving us too early.

caw

Reaction Score
I wouldn't do this for looking at regular stats, but if I were an NBA scout I probably would exclude two games from Hawkins if I was trying to get a good picture of his actual game.

The first being the game he got a concussion and the second being the game he got foul trouble (though I would look at it to see why he got four fouls).

That puts him at:

18.2 PPG on 43.1 FG%, 44.7 3P% (9.4 attempts per game).

I know that makes him look better but really in games he has fully played, he has produced.

Long way to go, but his early returns are much higher than his stat sheet shows IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom