Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Well give him a chance to enroll and see what he got himself into.

(Hey, it's worked before.)

Yes, and we're closer to West Haven than St John's, so he can get a second hardship waiver to be even closer to his mother.

Reaction Score
It boggles my mind how UConn fans can have so little faith. If you have dynamic guards in college basketball(JA, Rique,Heron) combined with a strong defense you can make noise. It’s not far fetched
I think most fans have faith which is the evidence of things not seen. I think it's more of our defense mechanism after much disappointment. Our patience is low/none. I actually believe in this team and our new coach.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Also this,

Listening to this now. He claims that Vance Jackson came to Ollie after the 16-17 season looking for feedback on how to improve and Ollie offered him nothing, just told him to hit the gym. Is this true?

Reaction Score
Listening to this now. He claims that Vance Jackson came to Ollie after the 16-17 season looking for feedback on how to improve and Ollie offered him nothing, just told him to hit the gym. Is this true?
no.gif

Reaction Score
From what I’ve heard, from someone who is close to Heron is that UConn is still in the mix. Hurley is heavily involved and thinks he’s a perfect fit in his offense. He’s a strong, talented, versatile 6’5 player that can do a bit of everything. Similar to EC Matthews who he loved at URI. The lack of a scholarship available as others have mentioned for next season is a concern for both parties.

Reaction Score
You guys gotta be kidding me with the higher moral ground this isn’t 3rd grade athletics and there are no participation trophies

Moral high ground has nothing to do with it. This is about not wanting to call one of your own guys into your office and tell him to start packing three months in advance of the fall semester. They're not stocks.

As I said, I'd much rather them pay players under the table than continue to authorize the most corrupt organization in sports. UConn sent a pretty clear message a couple months ago about where their allegiances fall and it's not with anybody not making them money.

Reaction Score
From what I’ve heard, from someone who is close to Heron is that UConn is still in the mix. Hurley is heavily involved and thinks he’s a perfect fit in his offense. He’s a strong, talented, versatile 6’5 player that can do a bit of everything. Similar to EC Matthews who he loved at URI. The lack of a scholarship available as others have mentioned for next season is a concern for both parties.
I’ll venmo you to specify on this “someone”

UconnU

Reaction Score
One thing is for sure. St. Johns wants to get back at us for Sid Wilson who they believe we poached.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I'm scared to know what the roster plan would be, considering Hurley wants Heron.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hurley is a Calhoun disciple, has stated he's here to build the program back to prominence, and has reportedly encouraged his players to stay with the program and buy into what he expects of them.

When that's your stated goal, you sometimes have to look past quick fixes such as Heron because forcing a kid out in order to get Heron doesn't seem to fit a long term program building philosophy and would surely make the players question his integrity.

Consider this circumstance even though it's not the exact same scenario: Calhoun, in his first year when UConn had miserable facilities and no academic support program, turned down Tharon Mayes (from CT) because we didn't have the counselors and tutors Calhoun believed Mayes would need in order to maintain eligibility. Instead, Calhoun suggested he go to Florida State where Pat Kennedy had all such assistance in place. Mayes went there, had a good career, and ultimately his son Xavier Rathan-Mayes chose Florida State. So, while UConn lost two players, Calhoun established he was in it for the long haul and was not going to "use" a kid for as long as he could keep him eligible and then throw him away.

If Hurley has encouraged all his players to stay with the program and then forces one out in order to sign Heron it sends a very negative message about how much (or little) he cares about his players.

Calhoun showed he cared about a player just as Hurley will be showing how much he cares about the players if he passes on Heron.

That's all nice and Jim dandy (no pun intended) BUT that was then and this is now. Then UConn had no credibility so he could be somewhat gracious
Now, UConn has won 4 NCs in 20 years and it is not at all equitable to the mid 80s
I understand you thought path but if you can get a talent like Heron, even for 1 year, you grab it and make it work

Reaction Score
There is an obvious in state answer for him. A D1 school with great proximity to his ailing mom. (May she get well soon).

League gets an automatic bid every year. Never an open scholarship issue. He becomes an immediate POY candidate.

The answer is, of course, Yale.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Looking more and more like St. Johns. Hopefully something changes.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is looking for volunteers. Anyone off the island?

Reaction Score
What's the over/under for the page count when I wake up in the morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom