Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Zags: Mustapha Heron transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
All 4 St. John's fans are probably very excited about this news I would imagine.

Reaction Score
Us conspiracy theorists believe the NCAA is waiting to see where he ends up before offering said waiver. SJU waiver! UCONN no waiver for you!!

Very unlikely he will get a waiver given the NCAA's position since the rules were changed in 2015.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Generally, I’d agree....but he’s right here.
Doesn’t his mom have a legitment problem? All the reporters I read seemed to think it was serious.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Doesn’t his mom have a legitment problem? All the reporters I read seemed to think it was serious.

Mustafa has a legitimate problem.

He didn’t draw much interest in the NBA draft, burned bridges with Auburn and he wants to play immediately.

Playing close to home wasn’t an issue until the NBA said “pass” and he’s not proposing coming home to be a caregiver....the waiver request should be DOA as soon as it lands at the NCAA. Whether she legitimately has some concussion issue or not, that’s not something a waiver was designed for.

His best hope is the media types take up his cause as they did with the NC State kid last summer. The NCAA will cave to that crap while stiff-arming kids Jay Bilas doesn’t give a crap about. (Like Sidney Wilson.)

Reaction Score
I think Champs has said KO did a terrible job coaching
The thing you and some others have to grasp is the fact that KO is gone and beating a dead horse is asinine
Stop the skipping record

Champs said that he was in favor of giving Ollie a lifetime contract. That makes him about is incorrect as you have been on all things related to UConn basketball. Given your track record I don't think I'm going to take any criticism from you very seriously.

Reaction Score
Mustafa has a legitimate problem.

He didn’t draw much interest in the NBA draft, burned bridges with Auburn and he wants to play immediately.

Playing close to home wasn’t an issue until the NBA said “pass” and he’s not proposing coming home to be a caregiver....the waiver request should be DOA as soon as it lands at the NCAA. Whether she legitimately has some concussion issue or not, that’s not something a waiver was designed for.

His best hope is the media types take up his cause as they did with the NC State kid last summer. The NCAA will cave to that crap while stiff-arming kids Jay Bilas doesn’t give a crap about. (Like Sidney Wilson.)
  • The student-athlete demonstrates he or she will be responsible for regular, ongoing caregiving responsibilities. The previous standard required the student-athlete to be the primary, day-to-day caregiver.
Obviously I don't know his situation, but he doesn't have to be the PRIMARY caregiver, just has to have ongoing caretaking responsibilities. Offdays from practice once a week to drive her to medical appointments or whatever would presumably count. Again, no idea what his mom's needs are.

Reaction Score
To me, pulling out of the draft isn't necessarily inconsistent with the narrative. NBA money versus playing for free is apples to oranges. Perhaps he did burn bridges at Auburn and is using his mother as a way to change schools, but that's a separate matter.

That being said, I do not like the idea of hardship waivers in general. It opens up a huge can of worms that nobody is going to want to sift through. Is Crohn's disease worthy of a waiver? What about spinal stenosis? Mental illness? I don't think it's overly cynical to see how, even in the absence of deceit, it might make it a lot more convenient for a player to want to be closer to home.

Reaction Score
I think champs just used the wrong word, we all know it's proven he couldn't run a program, it's why he got fired.

Semantics maybe, but I differentiate between "proven he can't" and "has yet to prove." He obviously was not prepared to manage the burden of running a program this time around.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Auburn's Mustapha Heron to withdraw from NBA Draft, transfer closer to home | Zagsblog
The 6-foot-5 Waterbury, Conn., native was testing the NBA Draft waters without an agent and worked out for the Brooklyn Nets and Cleveland Cavaliers. He has opted to withdraw from the draft but transfer from Auburn in order to be closer to his mother, Thalia Heron, who lives in West Haven, Conn.

“What people don’t know is Mustapha’s mom has been sick for a year,” Bryan Heron said Tuesday by phone. “Being home, he wants to get closer to his mom. He knew he had to go back to school. The last month he’s been here and he wants to be close to his mom, where she can see him play.”

Heron will apply for a hardship waiver to be immediately eligible for the 2018-19 season at his new school.
He can go to Qunnipiac and day hop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak