Zach Brown wants to reclass to 2016 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Zach Brown wants to reclass to 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So 9 players assuming no transfers and no NBA departures. That's 4 open scholarships. According to you, we should only recruit 2 players. What if one doesn't come here? There's also a good chance that a player or two will transfer or go pro over the next two years (look at history, we have a transfer almost every year). If the staff did what you say, they'd be risking having 8-9 scholarship players. Since you joined this board you've posted more nonsense than probably anyone else, and that's saying something. The fact that you disagree with adding as much talent as possible is stupid and mind boggling.

With Diallo and Ashton-Langford we would have 11 scholarship players for 2017-18. 11 players is more than enough. Ollie always rewards at least 1, sometimes 2 walk ons with scholarships so there you go, 13 scholarships.

Reaction Score
Because we'll have 4 open scholarship. No way should UConn be banking 2 scholarships in 2017.

Thank you. The people who are worried about too much depth are probably the same ones that were ripping the staff two years ago when we were constantly missing on recruits. Banking one is fine if you can't find the right fit, but why are we talking about banking them two years in advance? Go out and try to find guys that are better than who we already have and make them compete for playing time.

Reaction Score
With Diallo and Ashton-Langford we would have 11 scholarship players for 2017-18. 11 players is more than enough. Ollie always rewards at least 1, sometimes 2 walk ons with scholarships so there you go, 13 scholarships.

Again, you're assuming we get both and that no one transfers or goes pro over the next two years. Thank god you're not our head coach. We'd be giving 4 walk-ons and potentially practice players scholarships.

Reaction Score
Again, you're assuming we get both and that no one transfers or goes pro over the next two years. Thank god you're not our head coach. We'd be giving 4 walk-ons and potentially practice players scholarships.

You are an absolute clown. We are good with both Diallo and Ashton-Langford, per Oz, and I trust him way more than you. And who the hell on this team is going pro? If you think we need to fill the remaining two scholarships just for the hell of it, you're nuts. Get Diallo + MAL and call it a day. We will have plenty of depth at every position.

Reaction Score
You are an absolute clown. We are good with both Diallo and Ashton-Langford, per Oz, and I trust him way more than you. And who the hell on this team is going pro? If you think we need to fill the remaining two scholarships just for the hell of it, you're nuts. Get Diallo + MAL and call it a day. We will have plenty of depth at every position.

You're right, Kevin Ollie and his staff have no idea what they're doing. You should give him a call and tell him to stop recruiting all of the other 2017 players they've been keeping an eye on, because Oz told you they're good with Diallo and MAL, and that a two player class is more than enough. Like they wouldn't know. Have a nice night.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Because we'll have 4 open scholarship. No way should UConn be banking 2 scholarships in 2017.

It ain't that complicated is it?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
OMG - why use scholarships for D1 talented players when you can fill two with walkons?

Reaction Score
OMG - why use scholarships for D1 talented players when you can fill two with walkons?

Yeah let's use 2 scholarships on players who won't even see the court. How many teams do you know that use 13 players? Zero. I'd much rather have two deserving walk ons who have shown loyalty to the program be rewarded scholarships.

Reaction Score
Yeah let's use 2 scholarships on players who won't even see the court. How many teams do you know that use 13 players? Zero. I'd much rather have two deserving walk ons who have shown loyalty to the program be rewarded scholarships.
So you're telling me that walk-ons are more deserving of scholarships than D1 talent? You're basically saying Hilton Armstrong's scholarship should have gone to a walk-on.

Reaction Score
So you're telling me that walk-ons are more deserving of scholarships than D1 talent? You're basically saying Hilton Armstrong's scholarship should have gone to a walk-on.

Back out of this conversation while you still can. He doesn't understand. I wasted my time already today fighting the good fight. Trust me, it's not worth it.

Reaction Score
I'll never understand some of our fans mindsets, you recruit as much talent as you can possibly bring in. You don't ever hear Kentucky, Duke and Kansas fans say we should stop recruiting another shooting guard because we already have a great shooting guard. Kansas has Cheick Diallo, Carlton Bragg and Brannen Greene coming off the bench right now. You recruit as many blue chippers as possible, competition day in and day out breeds success.

Reaction Score

No Hilton Armstrong was an impact player at UConn. Whoever would be filling those 12th and 13th scholarships would not be high level players. For guards we'd have Gilbert, Adams, Ashton-Langford, and Diallo. At forward we'd have Diarra, Jackson, Larrier, Durham, and Hamilton. And at Center it'd be Enoch and Brown. Nobody that we'd offer a scholarship would challenge any of these guys for playing time. They'd pretty much be roster fillers and that's not what we want from our scholarships. 11 true D1 players is plenty, whether you guys want to believe it or not.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
No - you use them on players that will be here for 4 years and be better practice players than walk ons for two years and able to contribute in their final two years. A guy like Giffey is the perfect example of why you use them. Jrs and Seniors who have been with the program for 3 or 4 years, even if they are not NBA level talent are great to have on rosters.

Reaction Score
No Hilton Armstrong was an impact player at UConn. Whoever would be filling those 12th and 13th scholarships would not be high level players. For guards we'd have Gilbert, Adams, Ashton-Langford, and Diallo. At forward we'd have Diarra, Jackson, Larrier, Durham, and Hamilton. And at Center it'd be Enoch and Brown. Nobody that we'd offer a scholarship would challenge any of these guys for playing time. They'd pretty much be roster fillers and that's not what we want from our scholarships. 11 true D1 players is plenty, whether you guys want to believe it or not.
You are so off base with this and your other comments in the thread.

Reaction Score
No - you use them on players that will be here for 4 years and be better practice players than walk ons for two years and able to contribute in their final two years. A guy like Giffey is the perfect example of why you use them. Jrs and Seniors who have been with the program for 3 or 4 years, even if they are not NBA level talent are great to have on rosters.

Yes but Niels played as a freshman. There are no teams that go 13 deep, therefore 11 is plenty.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You give a walk-on a scholarship under one circumstance: it's August or September and you failed to meet the 13-player quota in the last recruiting cycle. So instead of letting it go to waste, you reward a kid who's worked his tail off both in practice and the classroom. It's a morale boost for the the team, the player, and his family - granted, UConn's in-state rate isn't awful and Lenehan and Amilo were probably on pretty hefty academic scholarship before then, but still.

That being said, the goal should always be to hit the full roster. You should never bank scholarships for walk-ons. It's not like football where work in the weight room and on the practice field can turn you into a contributor. Also, even though plenty of people have accused Ollie of banking scholarships, he's never done so before. Lenehan and Amilo both got theirs in late August when no more new players were coming in.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

If the rules call for 13 scholies why limit yourself? This makes absolutely ZERO sense.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'll never understand some of our fans mindsets, you recruit as much talent as you can possibly bring in. You don't ever hear Kentucky, Duke and Kansas fans say we should stop recruiting another shooting guard because we already have a great shooting guard. Kansas has Cheick Diallo, Carlton Bragg and Brannen Greene coming off the bench right now. You recruit as many blue chippers as possible, competition day in and day out breeds success.

I want to be able to say "we are going to play a platoon system this year". I don't want to actually do it. But I want to be able to say it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Ollie saves a scholarship in case there is a stud who is a last minute commit or decommit. When that doesn't happen, he will give the scholarship to a walk-on. He doesn't save them for walk-ons.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Didn't read the other 70 comments,but I wouldn't mind seeing him spend a year of development at putnum, then spend a couple years at uconn.the kid and his family want the nba,so I see maybe two years if he's good,so might as well get him a little further along.

caw

Reaction Score
Ollie saves a scholarship in case there is a stud who is a last minute commit or decommit. When that doesn't happen, he will give the scholarship to a walk-on. He doesn't save them for walk-ons.

Like Diallo or some kid named Zach.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The right answer is somewhere in the middle. Yes it's true no one goes 13 deep, but at the same time you take talented freshmen if you have the available scholarship/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom