Zach Brown wants to reclass to 2016 | The Boneyard

Zach Brown wants to reclass to 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2016/01/zach-brown-looks-good-in-putnam-science.html?m=1

(on re-classifying)

"It depends on the schoolwork. If I can get it down pat and get these grades up, it'll happen. If not, I have to stay one more year. So, we'll have to see."

Would he prefer to move up to the Class of 2016?

"Yes."

@4in16 had this in another thread, but it's worthy of it's own.

Saw one of the ESPN guys say if Brown were to join 2016, he'd be more of a top 60 player.

Reaction Score
Too lazy and too early to think but do we have enough scholarships to offer if he does reclassify? Because nobody is leaving early to the NBA this year.

Reaction Score
Hypothetically, what would happen if everyone stays and Brown and Hamidou want to attend UConn and reclassify to 2016?

Reaction Score
Hypothetically, what would happen if everyone stays and Brown and Hamidou want to attend UConn and reclassify to 2016?
Not worth worrying about. To start, Diallo has shown no indication that he wants to reclassify (not saying he won't), but even if he does end up reclassifying, the scholarship situation always ends up working itself out.

Reaction Score
I think the staff wants Brown for next year because they want to redshirt Durham. Guy is coming off 2 ACL injuries. You can bring him along slowly, allow to get stronger, practice, and they have the scholarships available to do it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
See I don't know if I really want him to reclassify. I feel like he might be better off with a year of development against better competition with PSA.
This may well be true, and if this were football I absolutely would want him to remain in HS for the additional year. I believe however that the year he enters the NBA draft (2018?, 2019?) will not change regardless of where he spends the 2016-2017 season.

With that, I don't see how it would hurt to have him here next season.

Reaction Score
No question another year in high school would be better for his development and ability to play right away, but I guess getting him on campus next year takes away the risk of a decommit or him having 2nd thoughts about anything.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This may well be true, and if this were football I absolutely would want him to remain in HS for the additional year. I believe however that the year he enters the NBA draft (2018?, 2019?) will not change regardless of where he spends the 2016-2017 season.

I also think he'd benefit by going up against enoch, brimah, diarra, etc every day as well as getting game time against better competition... or he may want to reclassify to get to the nba quicker

Reaction Score

I believe he could enter the draft in 2017 if he comes in next year.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
How does a kid reclassify? If he's a junior, how can he graduate/qualify without finishing his senior year?

Reaction Score
I think he could really benefit from another year at PSA. Plus, even with Durham our front court would still be crowded next season with Brimah, Facey, Diarra, and Enoch. I think it's in Brown's best interest to stay at PSA another year.

Reaction Score
How does a kid reclassify? If he's a junior, how can he graduate/qualify without finishing his senior year?

You don't need to have 4 years of school. Most High Schools standardize curriculum to be the normal 4 year length for ease of scheduling, but its all about passing your core classes required to graduate. If you can do that in 3 years, great. 2 years, great. Often AP/Summer classes are the ticket.

Similar to someone getting 120 credits and graduating UConn in 3 years. we just think of it as more normal in universities because the students are given more freedom to pursue their own schedule at college level.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth the dude periscoping the PSA game today is talking about Zach Brown like he is going to play at uconn next year.

Reaction Score
I think he could really benefit from another year at PSA. Plus, even with Durham our front court would still be crowded next season with Brimah, Facey, Diarra, and Enoch. I think it's in Brown's best interest to stay at PSA another year.
No, thank you. I'll that frontcourt depth + Brown any day. I'd prefer us not rush Durham back from his injury so a 5th big wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If we can get him here next year - grab it - before the Squid and other undesirables get a chance to rekindle overtures with him
Working against AB, KF and SE will be, hopefully, as good if not better than any HS/Prep comp

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Working against AB, KF and SE will be, hopefully, as good if not better than any HS/Prep comp
In some ways, yes. In other ways, not really - there's no substitute for actual playing time in games that actually mean something.

I'm not against this kid coming in '16, but given his reputation for foul trouble and lack of in-game knowhow I wouldn't mind at all if he spent next year getting 30 more meaningful games on the prep circuit. The game is the best teacher.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
He could use to develop. Hasn't played a lot of good competition, "constantly fouls" defense lacking. Also think he could probably use a little time away from the "party city" to mature. This is all a bit shaky.

Only reason that makes me wish he comes early is the "bird in the hand" concept.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He reclassifies and gets in great shape. If you watch how stone went from being out of shape to being in good shape I think brown could develop like that. Stone has been coming off the bench and is playing really well

Reaction Score
Interesting debate - does a kid get better at UConn for a year, practicing every day against other D-1 and perhaps NBA bigs, in UConn's weight program, getting to learn UConn's system and getting acclimated - or does he improve more by playing against solid high school prep competition, where he gets actual playing team and gains confidence playing.

I guess there is no right answer, as it may depend on the kid - but I think option 1 in the long run is better. It's similar to debating whether a kid would improve by staying in school a year before going pro, or going straight to the NBA after one year when he's not ready. Drummond fits into the first category, but many others would have benefited from more experience (although the NBA is a different beast, with different variables).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He could use to develop. Hasn't played a lot of good competition, "constantly fouls" defense lacking. Also think he could probably use a little time away from the "party city" to mature. This is all a bit shaky.

Only reason that makes me wish he comes early is the "bird in the hand" concept.

Yep, never look a gift horse in the mouth. Especially due to the notoriously 'fluid' (read fickle) nature of BB commitments/recruiting.

I'm also in the camp that would like to see Durham redshirt. I hate burning a year of eligibility as a kid tries to get his feet back under him (see Omar Calhoun and countless others). Fine in the Pros, as that year of his contract is coming off no matter what.

For that reason, I'm always conservative with big injuries. (caveat: I'm not privy the exact details of his injury or medical status)

Reaction Score
I really just don't see Brown playing much as a freshman in 2016. Brimah would certainly start at Center and Enoch would probably back him up. If he stays in 2017, the only competition at Center is Enoch so he'd be a backup at the worst.

Reaction Score
Ideally Brown reclassifies to 2016 and then the staff goes hard after another elite center prospect for 2017. Get all the talent you can on campus and then worry about the rest. The best guys will play. Hard to believe there's even a debate about this after the few down years we've had in recruiting recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom