triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm my grandma's grandson.

1. Black bottom pie
2. Pecan pie
3. Hummingbird cake
4. Lemon meringue

Never heard of Black Bottom anything until you mentioned it a few years ago in a Southern Food thread. I still haven't seen it in any recipe... I can't even recall what it consists of.

Pecan pie got strong consideration, but came up a little short. It will be on the menu for christmas dinner, along with some concoction called Cherry Yum Yum :confused:

Whenever I'm in a cake shop/bakery that has Hummingbird Cake, I give it strong consideration, but almost always I go with the Italian Cream. Apparently they are close cousins.

Lemon meringue pie.... I just can't... just can't... I quit trying as a kid. Perhaps my palate and taste buds have changed in my advanced age..... I may give it a another try in 2023... or 2036.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Never heard of Black Bottom anything until you mentioned it a few years ago in a Southern Food thread. I still haven't seen it in any recipe... I can't even recall what it consists of.
I rerember seeing Plebe mention it, too, and I made one. It wasn’t life-changing, so I didn’t keep the recipe. I remember the black bottom being a dense dark chocolate layer. I thought the middle layer was some kind of custard or pudding and maybe whipped cream on top? But it’s really fuzzy, could have been totally different.

I just looked for a recipe, and they’re all over the place. Some have rum, one even had meringue on top. I don’t whip egg whites, so I know that wasn’t what I made.

@Plebe you want to enlighten us?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I rerember seeing Plebe mention it, too, and I made one. It wasn’t life-changing, so I didn’t keep the recipe. I remember the black bottom being a dense dark chocolate layer. I thought the middle layer was some kind of custard or pudding and maybe whipped cream on top? But it’s really fuzzy, could have been totally different.

I just looked for a recipe, and they’re all over the place. Some have rum, one even had meringue on top. I don’t whip egg whites, so I know that wasn’t what I made.

@Plebe you want to enlighten us?
Well, I've since learned that there are about as many black bottom pie recipes as there are critters in a Southern summer. Obviously I'm partial to the one my grandma used to make, and no other variant would be as good. I do think rum would make a nice addition, but my grandparents were not the imbibing kind.

My grandma's was a three layer pie and to the best of my recollection resembled more or less this formulation:

The chocolate custard layer at the bottom was the undisputed star of the pie. And she definitely whipped egg whites for the top layer. Although I've never attempted to make the pie or anything similar, I know that working with custards and other egg variants requires a very deft hand. Latest I heard from my aunt, she's given up trying to make the BBP because she just can't pull it off to her satisfaction.

Reaction Score
My favorite desserts:
Milk chocolate candy bar with fruit and nuts
Carrot Cake
Key Lime Pie
Publix premium ice cream - Chocolate Cherish Passion - the best ice cream I've ever had

Reaction Score
My top four, in no particular order:
Butterscotch bourbon bread pudding with cinnamon ice cream
Lemon icebox pie
Apple pie with thinly sliced tart apples
My mom’s homemade fruitcake

Mom turns 85 this Christmas Eve, and can’t for the life of her find that recipe. It breaks my heart. I can remember as a kid cracking pecans and pulling out the nuts so that she could chop them for the fruitcakes she would make for family and friends. No one made fruitcake cracks about her cakes!

Reaction Score

Pecan pie got strong consideration, but came up a little short. It will be on the menu for christmas dinner, along with some concoction called Cherry Yum Yum :confused:

Whenever I'm in a cake shop/bakery that has Hummingbird Cake, I give it strong consideration, but almost always I go with the Italian Cream. Apparently they are close cousins.

Lemon meringue pie.... I just can't... just can't... I quit trying as a kid. Perhaps my palate and taste buds have changed in my advanced age..... I may give it a another try in 2023... or 2036.
Get back into that lemon meringue, Triad. It's good for the soul of a diehard Blue Devil.

I just polished off a bunch of brownies and blondies sent to me for Christmas by my sister from upstate New York. They surely tasted great as I watched my Deacons beat Mizzou, 27-17, in something called the Gasparilla Bowl.

Shoutout to you, Triad, for starting a thread that's had half of the Boneyard populace talking desserts for nearly a week!;)

Take care, everyone, as you go about your lives while we're enduring this brutal cold in so much of our world. Be safe, and don't exert yourself... especially after indulging in such dessert treats!

Reaction Score
Vanilla Gelato
my wife's chocolate sauce
gluten free brownies (double chocolate)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Get back into that lemon meringue, Triad. It's good for the soul of a diehard Blue Devil.

I just polished off a bunch of brownies and blondies sent to me for Christmas by my sister from upstate New York. They surely tasted great as I watched my Deacons beat Mizzou, 27-17, in something called the Gasparilla Bowl.

Shoutout to you, Triad, for starting a thread that's had half of the Boneyard populace talking desserts for nearly a week!;)

Take care, everyone, as you go about your lives while we're enduring this brutal cold in so much of our world. Be safe, and don't exert yourself... especially after indulging in such dessert treats!

Tell ya what.. Next time im in a Bakery and they have lemon meringue pie, I'll get a slice. If i don't like it, I'll send you the bill. ;):p:D

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
As y'all have picked up from this thread, I'm not a dessert person. But . . . My wife and daughter are. They swear by a cake called "Chocolate Truffle Bomb." It's a chocolate cake stuffed with pudding and mousse with a firm chocolate coating -- not really dipped in chocolate, not frosting.

I get it in Giant, which is owned by a Dutch multinational now. I've verified it's available in Hannaford's in Maine. I suspect it's in Stop and Shop, and for @triaddukefan , Food Lion is owned by the same company.

Reaction Score
I'm a bread guy too. Today is a brewing day (proper beer is just liquid bread), and I usually make bread with some of the leftover grain. The hulls of the grain are sharp, so it doesn't rise as much, resulting in a denser loaf, which stands up to butter or cheese really nicely. I'm making a dark beer today, so probably no bread -- it becomes burnt-tasting.
As the monks used to say in Medieval times, "Flüssiges Brot."

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This is not a "dessert" post per se' but as I did immediately think of @triaddukefan when I saw it, I wanted to attach the link from the Men's page on the Best Pizza in CT, which has 265 pages of comments! I guess the same vigilance on the thread lengths is not moderated as closely on the Men's page as it is on the Women's pages so I also want to say thank you to all the moderators! Kudos to your logic!
Here's my belated Xmas gift to Triad in case he ever ventures North to see the much anticipated Duke-UConn game....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom