OT: - Your Mount Rushmore of Desserts | The Boneyard

OT: Your Mount Rushmore of Desserts

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This is the Holiday Season, and I would guess there are more sweets devoured in the month of December than any other month. That being said, what desserts would you place on your Mount Rushmore of Desserts?

For me. Sweet Potato Pie, Plain Cheesecake, and Pound Cake are the no-doubters. After much debate, I think I will have to put up Italian Cream Cake as the 4th.

Reaction Score
This is a fun thread, Triad, and my mouth's watering thinking of all of those mentioned here... yet many decades after she last made one, I'd say my all-time favorite was my Mom's peerless lemon meringue pie. She was just okay as a cook but, man, could she bake a pie, cake or cookies!:rolleyes:

Some sort of chocolate decadence with brownie, and/or creme brulee might be candidates, too, but nothing ranks with Mom's lemon meringue pie.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This is the Holiday Season, and I would guess there are more sweets devoured in the month of December than any other month. That being said, what desserts would you place on your Mount Rushmore of Desserts?

For me. Sweet Potato Pie, Plain Cheesecake, and Pound Cake are the no-doubters. After much debate, I think I will have to put up Italian Cream Cake as the 4th.
For me it's sweet potato pie and every other kind of dessert. It has to be thick, cut from a big square pan, not a pie pan. Why do people up north put cloves in sweet potato pie? I know pumpkin pie needs it because pumpkins have no taste. But sweet potatoes do, so what up? That spit is blasphemy. I will admit to lusting after a good corn muffin now and then. And ice cream. Let's not forget ice cream. And hot apple pie a la mode. And coconut cake. And red velvet cake. Wait, and yeah, a good cheese cake. Home made though.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Well Mrs. SVC is a fabulous baker. So for me my dessert Mt. Rushmore is as follows in alphabetical order.

Mrs, SVC's
  • Almond cream cheese braid
  • Carmel and pecan covered apple pie
  • Carrot cake (not a sheet cake)
  • Green tomato cake (not a sheet cake)
I had many a fancy dessert in some great restaurants and in other folks' homes but none compare except possibly "Cracker Pudding" we ate many years ago in a Lancaster, PA restaurant, "Good and Plenty." I thought it was a large bowl of grits. Oh my! How such a simple dish could taste so good baffled all ten people at our table.

P.S. Just read Jordy's post. Ice cream as a separate dessert? No! Add a nice sized scoop of cinnamon ice cream to each of the above. Yeah!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is the time of year I do not follow any dietary no-nos. Starting with Fruit Cake with Brandy, Rum and Bourbon and all the glaced fruits and nuts that can be put in it. Next is Pumpkin Pie made with a ton of Cinnamon. For the last 10 years I have been Ordering this one five pound Fruitcake and usually eat it in 2 weeks or less. I am addicted to this Fruitcake. Bon Appetite.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Pineapple upside down cake

Raspberry or cherry trifle*

72A10056-A8C2-443C-A89A-F2E4EF99ECFD.jpeg

*Must be made by an English woman person who sings, beautifully, while making it. I guess part of the recipe is finding and getting spliced with the the right crazy Brit. :D

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Blueberry pie a La mode, strawberry shortcake
I did not know that strawberry shortcake was a dessert until I went into the Navy. Growing up my mother would make a huge pan of biscuits, put out a few quarts of berries and whipped cream on the table and this was our supper. And now for my birthday, I get fresh picked berries from a local farm, make biscuits and add cool whip!!! We have a local berry farm that has their strawberry season last from late April/early May until September. Mmmmmmm.
2. Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
3. Mince Meat Pie (made by my Grandmother or Mother)
4. Tomato Soup Cake

Reaction Score
Christmas:
Peanut [Butter] Blossoms
Snickerdoodles
Ginger cookies dipped in white chocolate
Shout out to Rugelach for Hannukkah

Thanksgiving:
Pecan Pie
Sweet Potato Casserole (let's be real, this is a dessert in the form of an appetizer)
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie

All time:
Peanut Blossoms
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Pecan Pie
Cheesecake or Ice Cream Cake - can't decide which lol

Reaction Score
During the month of December I throw the diet out the window, there are just way too many goodies out there this time of year.

My Mount Rushmore:

1. Toll House Cookies- my mother made them following the recipe on the Nestle chocolate chips bag with one major exception- she used Crisco instead of butter. Best.cookies.ever. Now I make them for the family and am teaching my niece so she can carry on the tradition.
2. Apple pie- nobody could make an apple pie like my grandmother. She did it all from scratch. Came out perfect every time.
3. Peanut butter fudge- Mom had this recipe that didn't require cooking the ingredients on the stove. It's fool-proof and delicious every time.
4. Cheesecake- strawberry, blueberry or chocolate.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Pittsburgh, Pa Prantl's bakery burnt almond torte

Alabaster, Al Joe's Italian cream layer cake

my wife's cream cheese peanut butter pie

my Mother's fruit cake wrapped in cloth, soaked for three weeks in brandy and bourbon, and kept in the fruit cellar and eaten early Christmas morning after Midnight Mass.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom