OT: - Your Mount Rushmore of Desserts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Your Mount Rushmore of Desserts

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Close second, Thailand sweet rice and mango. Some Thai restaurants know how to make it.
My wife loves rice pudding. Many different kinds. I once got her a half gallon of kheer from a local Indian place (now alas out of business). I've learned how to make it.

I came across a recipe a few years ago for bilo bilo, a Filipino rice pudding made with cocoanut milk. It's delightful.

Reaction Score
This may not be considered a dessert but my drug of choice is BREAD! All kinds, heated and heavily buttered, hard roll. soft roll, crescent rolls, French bread, garlic bread, Italian bread, Jewish rye bread, bagels, etc! (3 different with breakfast, 2 with lunch, and at least 3 at dinner)
When I retired from teaching in 2000 I weighed 152 lbs within 6 months I weighed 185 lbs!
My Doctor said, "I was a bowling ball with legs!" and had to lose at least 25 lbs as my Dad died from Diabetes and I was a poster child to get it if I didn't lose the weight! Now I have Freihofer Bread (the soft, great bread) for lunch sandwiches and that's it!
Swedish Fish is also mouth watering!
My favorite ice cream is Stop & Shop Chocolate Chip, but I also love Chocolate Ice Cream!
Hot Apple Pie also is also craved!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Darn that @triaddukefan! Look at what he's started! In reality I don't eat sweets anymore, and for various health reasons. But now this, this...man has me yearning for a big, thick slice of sweet potato pie or coconut cake.

1671554860051.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1) Boston cream pie. I’ve loved it since I was a kid. Moist yellow cake, frosted on the top, only with chocolate, with vanilla pudding between the layers. It is a symphony of flavors, delicious yet unpretentious.

2) Apple pie. The all American dessert. Many people prefer a slightly tart apple, but my preference is for delicious. I love it with a flaky crust, but it is at its peak with a buttery sugar, cinnamon crumble topping.

3) Pecan Pie. This wasn’t my thing as a kid, but over the years, it’s grown on me. The sweetness of the pie filling with the savoriness of the pecan in the buttery goodness of the crust is hard to pass on a team.

4) Cheese Cake. My mom had an amazing recipe, the secret was just a hint of lemon zest although I’ve had a lot of good cheesecake over the years nothing else is quite a good.

Honorable mention:

Apple crisp could easily bump apple pie out of the top four. It probably would have if this post was started during the summer. A bowl of warm apple crisp with a scoop of ice cream on it is a great summer time favorite.

Similarly, blueberry pie could get the nomination toward the end of summer, when blueberries are in season. A blueberry pie with a nice flaky crust, and again, a scoop of ice cream would ould also be a worthy nominee.

Lastly, banana cream pie was another favorite growing up. My wife doesn’t particularly care for it, so I haven’t had it in years, but my mom made a terrific one.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
During the month of December I throw the diet out the window, there are just way too many goodies out there this time of year.

My Mount Rushmore:

1. Toll House Cookies- my mother made them following the recipe on the Nestle chocolate chips bag with one major exception- she used Crisco instead of butter. Best.cookies.ever. Now I make them for the family and am teaching my niece so she can carry on the tradition.
2. Apple pie- nobody could make an apple pie like my grandmother. She did it all from scratch. Came out perfect every time.
3. Peanut butter fudge- Mom had this recipe that didn't require cooking the ingredients on the stove. It's fool-proof and delicious every time.
4. Cheesecake- strawberry, blueberry or chocolate.
Why ONLY December?;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This may not be considered a dessert but my drug of choice is BREAD! All kinds, heated and heavily buttered, hard roll. soft roll, crescent rolls, French bread, garlic bread, Italian bread, Jewish rye bread, bagels, etc! (3 different with breakfast, 2 with lunch, and at least 3 at dinner)
When I retired from teaching in 2000 I weighed 152 lbs within 6 months I weighed 185 lbs!
My Doctor said, "I was a bowling ball with legs!" and had to lose at least 25 lbs as my Dad died from Diabetes and I was a poster child to get it if I didn't lose the weight! Now I have Freihofer Bread (the soft, great bread) for lunch sandwiches and that's it!
Swedish Fish is also mouth watering!
My favorite ice cream is Stop & Shop Chocolate Chip, but I also love Chocolate Ice Cream!
Hot Apple Pie also is also craved!
I'm a bread guy too. Today is a brewing day (proper beer is just liquid bread), and I usually make bread with some of the leftover grain. The hulls of the grain are sharp, so it doesn't rise as much, resulting in a denser loaf, which stands up to butter or cheese really nicely. I'm making a dark beer today, so probably no bread -- it becomes burnt-tasting.

Reaction Score
1) Sweet potato pie
2) Fresh fruit cake from my favorite Italian pasticceria
3) Home made profiteroles made by my one of my husband's distant (but close to us) cousins

Reaction Score
Actually, the real name for the rice is STICKY rice, which can be used as a side dish, wor sweetened as a dessert. It is made with a certain type of rice,

Reaction Score
Best dessert I ever had was pavlova made by my Father in Law. Wow! I still dream about that desert!
Panna cotta with passion fruit
Chocolate/kahlua cheesecake
Fresh chocolate oatmeal drop cookies
Crème brule
Custard tart
For Christmas; Christmas pudding with hard (brandy) sauce

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For a serious answer:

Chocolate Pecan Pie with Kahlua Whipped Cream

Cranberry Ginger Pear Upside Down Cake with Grand Marnier Whipped Cream

Mele Kalikimaka Ice Cream (Vanilla Base, Toasted Macadamias, Coconut Cream, Flaked Coconut, and Pineapple Chunks)

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from the Frog/Commissary in Philly

Extra Thick Raspberry Milkshake in a Dark Chocolate Bag from Domain Chandon in Napa

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
This is the Holiday Season, and I would guess there are more sweets devoured in the month of December than any other month. That being said, what desserts would you place on your Mount Rushmore of Desserts?

For me. Sweet Potato Pie, Plain Cheesecake, and Pound Cake are the no-doubters. After much debate, I think I will have to put up Italian Cream Cake as the 4th.
It's so hard to choose, great lists from everyone. But if I had to decide on favorites, I think these'd serve:

Strawberry shortcake (must be baking soda biscuit) with whipped cream.
Warm tangy strawberry-rhubarb pie with a dab of vanilla bean ice cream melted over it.
Plain vanilla cheesecake, graham cracker crust.
3-layer sponge cake, one peach and one strawberry filling, slathered with homemade whipped cream.

Bonus:
Low-sugar (but extra cinnamon) Macintosh apple pie, a la mode.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom