Your feelings on sweaters | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Your feelings on sweaters

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Their ok. I wear them sometimes. I’d rather wear a shirt and tie under a nice sweater than wear a sports jacket/ suit with a shirt and tie.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I wear cardigans sometimes. They’re the perfect old man sweater for all ages.

Reaction Score
Chicken or egg? Was the word sweat derived from sweater or was sweater derived from sweat. Just wondering.

Reaction Score
Chicken or egg? Was the word sweat derived from sweater or was sweater derived from sweat. Just wondering.
The answer is:

"Sweater" must have come from some Proto-Germanic or Old Saxon word for warmth. ... Ladies and gentlemen, the etymology of "sweater": "woolen vest or jersey, originally worn in rowing," 1882, from earlier sweaters "clothing worn to produce sweating and reduce weight" (1828), from sweat (v.).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don’t recall having made a conscious decision to rid my life of sweaters - never thought about it until this very moment.
Never bought one for myself ever. My collection has dwindled as my size has increased and the older female relatives in my life have decreased. But I did hear an old Rodney joke today that fit the topic:

"I gave my son a BB gun for Christmas"
"He gave me a sweater with a bullseye on it"

Reaction Score
Sweaters are my favorite part of fall/winter. I own about 40; probably 35 100% wool and five all-cotton. Love them and live in them Nov-April. Crewneck and cardigans, mainly. A few turtlenecks for when I feel like cosplaying a Bond villain. I don't own any v-necks or quarter zips.

Try wearing an oxford button-down underneath if itchiness is a problem. It's a classic New England look anyway. If they feel confining then I imagine sizing is the issue.

Not sure if this is serious. 40 sweaters?! That's about 4 times more than you need to do laundry at a reasonable rate.

Reaction Score
I have about 20 and I’ve basically stopped wearing them. I’m basically all about vests over everything ....so much more comfortable and so much easier to take off, clean, take care of.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not a big fan of sweaters but did get a bunch of light weight thermal long sleeve crew necks from Walmart for like $9 each. They wear well, and I could care less if they get ruined after a few uses. They have a couple of buttons to give them a look of just above basic sweat shirt. I wear 'em to work too.
Works perfect for 50 degrees weather with jeans or shorts for outside.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not a big fan of sweaters but did get a bunch of light weight thermal long sleeve crew necks from Walmart for like $9 each.
Not the same thing, but I had a friend (I think you might have met him) who bought 300 pair of underwear at Walmart during a big sale. Lasted him two years. Probably would have been longer if he did laundry.

Reaction Score
I used to love sweaters growing up in CT. Winters are not cold enough in NC for them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not the same thing, but I had a friend (I think you might have met him) who bought 300 pair of underwear at Walmart during a big sale. Lasted him two years. Probably would have been longer if he did laundry.

You sure it wasn't me you were introducing to others?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
FB_IMG_1576985503272.jpg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
These are the sweat shirts I picked up.

Packing for a a trip to CT for Christmas and my clothing is jeans, white T's, these henley's and underwear and socks. Every day any color goes with blue or black jeans. So easy.

Screenshot_20191221-213335.png

Reaction Score
Do not own one. Do not remember the last time I did own one.

I don’t recall having made a conscious decision to rid my life of sweaters - never thought about it until this very moment.

^^^^ This is spot on ^^^^

Reaction Score
Kind of but I hated them when I was a skinny kid, they're like sweaty straight jackets. I'm not even big, like 5'10 220 lbs. but I know xl sweaters would be too tignt. There are so many huge and fat Americans, I have no clue where they shop. Big and Tall must make a killing.

I also have no clue how all these posters can wear a button down under a sweater, pretty good look but sounds so uncomfortble and hot under normal conditions and everyone has the women in the office who want the heat jacked up.

I made the thread to piggyback the most hated sports terms thread, we are in the offseason after all....
Used to sit near windows at work, and needed fleeces all year long. Either the a/c or the outside cold.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't wear them anymore. Wool is too itchy, cashmere is too clingy, cotton the most comfortable but still too confining. They all trap too much body heat. Thoughts?

I own several. They sit in a plastic bin. I have completely replaced them with those lighter weight 1/4 zip things (have them in varying warmth levels). Wearing one now in fact. I should just donate them I guess.

I have a nice cotton cardigan I keep in the office to wear over dress shirts (unzipped) when it is cold in the building. That's the only one still in use.

Reaction Score
probably my single favorite category of clothing... i agree that merlino is the way to go, as well.

sweater and jeans is sorta the perfect casual-but-not-too-casual winter look, in my opinion. sweater over a collared shirt is my go-to work move when it's extra cold out.

Reaction Score
Can we talk about the sweater guy who doesn't wear a collared shirt under it? I think a requirement is a collard shirt of some sort. Even a dickie like Cousin Eddie in Christmas Vacation is better than the guy with no other shirt underneath, a size too small and man .

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Can we talk about the sweater guy who doesn't wear a collared shirt under it? I think a requirement is a collard shirt of some sort. Even a dickie like Cousin Eddie in Christmas Vacation is better than the guy with no other shirt underneath, a size too small and man .
I never wear a collared shirt under a sweater. My collection is probably 50% 1/4 zip, 25% v-neck and 25% crew neck. Always a crew neck undershirt, short or long sleeve. Sometimes a Henley.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

What? Hate the collared shirt underneath look (and feel). This is the right look:

1577065634255.png

Reaction Score
What? Hate the collared shirt underneath look (and feel). This is the right look:

View attachment 49360

With Deep on this collared shirt or nice collared polo a must on round collar sweater. Mocks are still a good look with round or quarter zip. Quarter zip with a real high tee maybe on the casual side.

I wear golf wind style jackets with collar or mock with the company name or quarter zips wind with the same. Even have the short sleeve style also for spring and fall.

Everyone has their own!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom