OT: - Younger than dirt? What’s your ‘70’s-80’s memories? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Younger than dirt? What’s your ‘70’s-80’s memories?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Qualifying easily as being older than dirt, i don’t remember anything called the 70s and 80s.

Reaction Score
While I was in college, I always cranked music at high volume to psyche me up when I was about to head out of the dorm for tests or quizzes. And the song I always cranked was Marshall Tucker's "Heard it in a Love Song". It aways got me going and it helped me do pretty well in school.

Such a great band.
I loved this band. Toy and Tommy died way too young. My favorite album and I did listen to the album was "Where We All Belong". I loved cranking up "24 Hours at a Time" on a road trip along with "Green Grass and High Tides" by The Outlaws. I have seen Marshall Tucker more recently (Enfield, Willimantic) and unfortunately Doug Gray's voice is shot.

Reaction Score
A college favorite

This along with "Tomorrow" with Tom Snyder were the dorm favorites in the late 70s. One disturbing scene on "Tomorrow" showed somebody inserting a knitting needle into their nostril. For the most part, we didn't watch much television but instead sat around listening to albums.

Reaction Score
I loved this band. Toy and Tommy died way too young. My favorite album and I did listen to the album was "Where We All Belong". I loved cranking up "24 Hours at a Time" on a road trip along with "Green Grass and High Tides" by The Outlaws. I have seen Marshall Tucker more recently (Enfield, Willimantic) and unfortunately Doug Gray's voice is shot.
I don't know if you have Sirius XM, but I couldn't live without Channel 26 for classic rock. They play all these songs and so much more pretty regularly. Green Grass and High Tides is another tune that really gets my juices flowing.

Reaction Score
My first concert. It was the Allman Brother's Band at an outdoor venue near Hartford, whose name and exact location I can't remember. It must have been in 1973 and was in October, if I remember correctly. And it was really, really, really cold. My denim jacket was way underdressed for the weather. They didn't play One Way Out, which is what I most wanted to hear. I was bummed about that. Overall, not a great first concert. And a little trivia: The opening act was a little-known group I didn't think would amount to much at the time - The Marshall Tucker Band. Boy, was I wrong on that one. I hope my old memory is getting all of this correctly. Maybe someone reading this also saw the concert.

But after that, I went to my favorite concert of all time, David Bowie, and Jethro Tull, the Stones, Bob Segar, etc. So, all turned out well in my concert going adventures after all.
Colt Park? Saw the Beach Boys there. The Turtles, too. And does anyone remember Phlorescent Leech & Eddie?

Reaction Score
Colt Park? Saw the Beach Boys there. The Turtles, too. And does anyone remember Phlorescent Leech & Eddie?
I wish I remembered the venue. I probably have the ticket stub stashed away somewhere in my masses of accumulated stuff, but I couldn't even begin to guess where that would be. Maybe I'll come across it one day and it will note the venue.

Reaction Score
I wish I remembered the venue. I probably have the ticket stub stashed away somewhere in my masses of accumulated stuff, but I couldn't even begin to guess where that would be. Maybe I'll come across it one day and it will note the venue.
It was Dillon Stadium which is adjacent to Colt Park. Here’s a link

Looks like a great show with Marshall Tucker as well. Colt Park had multiple shows during the Summer of 1976 celebrating our Bicentennial as a nation.

I saw Frampton and Fleetwood Mac among other bands that summer.

Reaction Score
Fun times!
  • Toga parties, Thursday night parties, and beerfests at UConn
  • SNL: the Not Ready for Prime Time Players, Steve Martin, Mr. Bill, the Coneheads, the Nerds, Lord & Lady , the Killer Bees, the Samurai, Candygram, the Wild & Crazy Guys, etc.
  • New Wave & Punk, helping to ease the aural pain and horrid clothes of disco
  • First concert I ever went to: Bad Company at the Springfield Civic Center
  • First time I saw the Stones live: 1978 Some Girls tour
  • My semester abroad: London, 1979 (I still have the button pictured below)
  • Miami Vice
  • V
  • Moving from CT to FL, owning nothing but my car, my clothes, and my record albums

Smirks Against Travolta.jpg

Reaction Score
It was Dillon Stadium which is adjacent to Colt Park. Here’s a link

Looks like a great show with Marshall Tucker as well. Colt Park had multiple shows during the Summer of 1976 celebrating our Bicentennial as a nation.

I saw Frampton and Fleetwood Mac among other bands that summer.
Wow, HCCForever! You're my new hero! Thanks so much. I have a feeling that I'm going to be studying this website for a long time tonight.

Marshall Tucker was the opening act. The second act was a somewhat bluesy band called The Sons of Champlin. I remember there was one song in particular they played that I really liked but I don't remember what it was now. I'm going to need to spend some time on YouTube to see if I can find something that jogs my memory.

Thanks again, friend.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Phlo and Eddie were on some of my favorite Zappa albums. Fillmore East and Just Another Band From LA are two of the best live albums I’ve heard. The liner notes have their real names, but their names had been copyrighted/trademarked by their record label when they were with the Turtles. That’s how they became Phlo and Eddie.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the reply. It was over 50+ years ago but that does sound vaguely familiar. But it may just be that I've heard of Dillon Stadium before.
June 23, 1973 at Dillon Stadium in Hartford., according to internet search.

Reaction Score
Well in middle 70s through early 80s,spent my time traveling all over the country. From Florida to California to Maine. And all between. And back then could stop and pick up work, to purchase gas and move on. Working in a cotton gyn, to off shore oil, to stock yards in Texas. Never no time schedule. Something I will always cherish.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I graduated in 1969 and moved to Cheshire the next year after getting married. We and our new friends started a ritual every Saturday night in the mid 70's. No matter what we had done earlier in the evening we would get together at someone's house and watch SNL. More often than not, totally wasted.

Reaction Score
I saw Rocky in a theater in the Bronx. Much of the crowd was rooting for Apollo Creed. Seriously.
:)
Well, this is somewhere between older than dirt and younger than dirt. I remember seeing "Midway" in a theater in "Surround Sound". After getting the snot kicked out of them, when the first bomb hit the Japanese carrier, the entire audience jumped to their feet and cheered. I was blown away, not by the movie, by the audience.

Reaction Score
Dillon Stadium: Eagles, Edgar Winter and Yes, one show, for $7.50. My first memorable concert. So much smoke. Yes had just come out with Close to the Edge. I was in awe of them for years. Edgar Winter Group had just released They Only Come Out at Night with the hit Frankenstein. I don’t remember much of the Eagles, they were up and coming at the time. Witchy Woman.

Shaboo: oh so many great shows. Great venue. Remember it well through a haze of screwdrivers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom