OT: - Younger than dirt? What’s your ‘70’s-80’s memories? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Younger than dirt? What’s your ‘70’s-80’s memories?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While I was in college, I always cranked music at high volume to psyche me up when I was about to head out of the dorm for tests or quizzes. And the song I always cranked was Marshall Tucker's "Heard it in a Love Song". It aways got me going and it helped me do pretty well in school.

Such a great band.
Ok, good song. Good band. Like a lot of their music. But this has to be one of the strangest "pump up" songs I've ever heard someone have.

To me, that's a sitting by the fire, drinking whiskey, chilling out song.

But, hey, you do you.

Reaction Score
Ok, good song. Good band. Like a lot of their music. But this has to be one of the strangest "pump up" songs I've ever heard someone have.

But, hey, you do you.
I loved the song. I loved it very loud. I loved the instrumental intro in the first 10 seconds which always seemed to get my blood flowing just a little bit faster. It worked for me.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

But, hey, you do you.
I saw Firefall, Marshall Tucker, and Doobie Brothers at the Civic Center in Hartford back in the day. It was awesome - 5,000 of us were squeezed onto the floor and danced for about 5-6 hours. Best concert I've ever been to.

Steve Miller Band was also awesome with the laser light show.

Reaction Score
My first concert. It was the Allman Brother's Band at an outdoor venue near Hartford, whose name and exact location I can't remember. It must have been in 1973 and was in October, if I remember correctly. And it was really, really, really cold. My denim jacket was way underdressed for the weather. They didn't play One Way Out, which is what I most wanted to hear. I was bummed about that. Overall, not a great first concert. And a little trivia: The opening act was a little-known group I didn't think would amount to much at the time - The Marshall Tucker Band. Boy, was I wrong on that one. I hope my old memory is getting all of this correctly. Maybe someone reading this also saw the concert.

But after that, I went to my favorite concert of all time, David Bowie, and Jethro Tull, the Stones, Bob Segar, etc. So, all turned out well in my concert going adventures after all.
Might have been Dillon Stadium?

Reaction Score
Might have been Dillon Stadium?
Thanks for the reply. It was over 50+ years ago but that does sound vaguely familiar. But it may just be that I've heard of Dillon Stadium before.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
True..it was a rare day whn a fight didn't break out, but everyone went back to being friends 2 days later, went to Camp Jewell for a month, thn to my grandmothers in N.C. ummm her pound cake made from scratch was the absolute best and within the family it is often imitated but never duplicated.

Those were the good old days. Slug it out on the court/field/playground....... joke and laugh about it on the way back from the principal office. :p For me, it was my grandfather who made the pound cakes. Every time I would visiit, he would make one for me :)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Meeting a teenage German girl in a German discotheque, getting the said girl to say yes to marriage and getting married in Las Vegas in 76. Seeing both ABBA and Meatloaf while I was stationed in Germany, both time's my wife was able to get tickets through a friend who worked in the music industry. The crazy thing about this is when we first met she thought I was a crazy American because on the night we met I got so plastered on breaking the club record of 23 half liters of beer by drinking 25. My buddies had to hold me up to get me out of the club and into the taxi and I was a zombie for the next two days in the supply office at HHC, 5th USAAG.

Reaction Score
I saw Rocky in a theater in the Bronx. Much of the crowd was rooting for Apollo Creed. Seriously.
:)
then again the same in the North End of Bridgeport but it was reversed it was Rocky Rocky with the gold neck chained North End Italians, I grew in the East End of Bridgeport so I was kind of surprised with Rocky chants me being a non gold neck chained Italian...

Reaction Score
Climbing and Skiing Tuckerman's Ravine!
3tuckermans-ravine-1.jpg

Reaction Score
For me the 1980's was about going to concerts to see Phil Collins, Harry Chapin, or Yes. I was a big Genisis fan but for some reason never saw them live until a few years ago here in Phoenix. I coached a hockey team that played in Bolton. We played in the "Hockey News" tournament in Lake Placid where we won the silver medal. Those were great times.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Disco.
Spent several years puking. I swear it was disco that caused it.

ISisco was going through my head till a few weeks ago. I’d just recovered, and now this thread has brought it all back. I’m sure in another 50 years, when I’m 115 or so, I’ll recover. :confused:

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
In the 80s, I dated when I wanna. Left my friends behind, too.

Reaction Score
Correction. Stevie Nicks was my 70's fantasy.

My best memory, by far, is May 24, 1971................landing in my "Freedom Bird" at McChord AFB in Tacoma, WA at 0400 hrs. Disembarked, got on my hands and knees to kiss the ground on the tarmac, grateful to be back in "the world".

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Spent several years puking. I swear it was disco that caused it.

ISisco was going through my head till a few weeks ago. I’d just recovered, and now this thread has brought it all back. I’m sure in another 50 years, when I’m 115 or so, I’ll recover. :confused:
Can’t edit, but the first word was supposed to be Disco. Shouldn’t ever post except from a computer with a real keyboard.

Reaction Score
When they played at Jorgensen Auditorium, I got to meet the band, and hang out backstage. It was right after Toy and Tommy Caldwell's died so everybody was pretty subdued but they were still friendly enough. One memory from that is that the bands sets were all listed on a sheet of paper taped on a drum. Included on it were the two encores that they performed. I remember reading in the daily campus the next day a description of the show and have the fans were so enthusiastic that the band actually came out for two encores. The writer waxed poetic about it for a paragraph or two, and I remember thinking "that was always the plan." That may be my first realization that the entertainment industry isn't always exactly what it appears to be. It's a fond memory nonetheless.
Unless they played multiple times at Jorgensen I was at that show.

Reaction Score
'79 was my senior year of high school. That's a treasure trove of my greatest memories.

Reaction Score
70s were good to me mostly; a few highlights: tried to walk to the North Pole (never got closer than 87.30), guided two successful ascents of Denali, did a noteworthy first ascent in the Kichatna Spires (Alaska Range), and a mixed blessing: avalanche & fell 1700' in an attempt on the 3rd ascent of the North Face (a 7000' face) of Mount Hunter. Lots of other stuff - i was a climbing bum and there were 12 months in a year. I used 'em all...

80s i did a solo kayak trip in Glacier Bay and one day woke up to a TOTAL whiteout. I stupidly cast off w my compass for navigation and reached a point where i was surrounded by zillions of birds that i couldn't see but heard - it was a very primordial feeling. Also was when i decided to get a real job after i got home from a three week climb and found all of my belongings out in the front yard; my two roomates offered up the puerile excuse that they didn't think i'd return.

Reaction Score
here's a foreshortened picture of the North Face of Mt Hunter (my partner and i spent 4 days in a snow cave (red triangle) in a howling storm before bailing. Unfortunately, that meant a fresh snow load on the mountain, but as someone said: "you pays your money and you takes your chances."

Attachments

• AK Mt Hunter, N Face w bivy site.jpg
    AK Mt Hunter, N Face w bivy site.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 23
Reaction Score
1980 - My First car - Bright Orange Ford Pinto
1980 - First live concert - Kansas and Loverboy
1981 - Met my wife (still together)
1981 - First trip to Waterford Speedbowl

Reaction Score
Four kids ranging in ages two to teenagers. Working about seventy hours a week so we could buy a home in the suburbs and our family sitting down to meals together every night that was cooked by my wife who made the greatest apple pie and chocolate chips cookies in existence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom