OT: - Younger than dirt? What’s your ‘70’s-80’s memories? | The Boneyard

OT: Younger than dirt? What’s your ‘70’s-80’s memories?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
A college favorite

You've got to love Gene. We used to schedule classes to be able to watch The Gong Show. My favorite was The Unknown Comic. Six of us went to the campus halloween party with paper bags over our heads and won the"worst costume" award.

Reaction Score
My first concert. It was the Allman Brother's Band at an outdoor venue near Hartford, whose name and exact location I can't remember. It must have been in 1973 and was in October, if I remember correctly. And it was really, really, really cold. My denim jacket was way underdressed for the weather. They didn't play One Way Out, which is what I most wanted to hear. I was bummed about that. Overall, not a great first concert. And a little trivia: The opening act was a little-known group I didn't think would amount to much at the time - The Marshall Tucker Band. Boy, was I wrong on that one. I hope my old memory is getting all of this correctly. Maybe someone reading this also saw the concert.

But after that, I went to my favorite concert of all time, David Bowie, and Jethro Tull, the Stones, Bob Segar, etc. So, all turned out well in my concert going adventures after all.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
One of my biggest memories while living in Western Massachusetts in the very early '70s was hearing Alice's Restaurant for the first time. Sometime later, Arlo moved to Washington, MA and became everyone's neighbor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The opening act was a little-known group I didn't think would amount to much at the time - The Marshall Tucker Band. Boy, was I wrong on that one. I hope my old memory is getting all of this correctly. Maybe someone reading this also saw the concert.
When they played at Jorgensen Auditorium, I got to meet the band, and hang out backstage. It was right after Toy and Tommy Caldwell's died so everybody was pretty subdued but they were still friendly enough. One memory from that is that the bands sets were all listed on a sheet of paper taped on a drum. Included on it were the two encores that they performed. I remember reading in the daily campus the next day a description of the show and have the fans were so enthusiastic that the band actually came out for two encores. The writer waxed poetic about it for a paragraph or two, and I remember thinking "that was always the plan." That may be my first realization that the entertainment industry isn't always exactly what it appears to be. It's a fond memory nonetheless.

Reaction Score
Well, since the late 70's and early 80's cover my high school and college years, there are many. The era of 8-track car stereos and the curse of the gas crisis that killed the muscle car. The CB radio craze. Disco (that I could have done without). Southern rock. National Lampoon movies (Animal House, the "Vacation" series). Leisure suits (ugh).

Reaction Score
When they played at Jorgensen Auditorium, I got to meet the band, and hang out backstage. It was right after Toy and Tommy Caldwell's died so everybody was pretty subdued but they were still friendly enough. One memory from that is that the bands sets were all listed on a sheet of paper taped on a drum. Included on it were the two encores that they performed. I remember reading in the daily campus the next day a description of the show and have the fans were so enthusiastic that the band actually came out for two encores. The writer waxed poetic about it for a paragraph or two, and I remember thinking "that was always the plan." That may be my first realization that the entertainment industry isn't always exactly what it appears to be. It's a fond memory nonetheless.
One of the brothers, I think it was Toy, had recently gotten out of the Marines after serving in Vietnam when they helped form Marshall Tucker. That was apparently just a few months before I saw them with the Allman Brothers. Tommy also served in Vietnam.

Reaction Score
Late '70s I met a super-duper young woman who worked at a company I'd just joined. First blonde girlfriend I'd ever had, after a bunch of brunettes and one raven-haired lovely. Anyway, we'd been going hot and heavy for 6 months or so when my Mother flew up from Florida for a visit and we were on our way to meet my brother for lunch. What followed was a typical Mom and me conversation as I sped down I95 heading for White Plains..."so dear, have you met anyone lately?" ... long silence followed by "Uh yeah". Very short silence and then "I'll bet she's a blonde." I managed to stay on the road, barely, but anyone who thinks Mother's don't have the insane ability to read their children's minds is in denial! BTW, just got a text from the one and only blonde in my life asking if I'm free tomorrow at 10:00 for our monthly chat. Crazy. And she's still married to same guy she was when I met her. Go figure.

Reaction Score
Here's another favorite from when I was in college in the 2nd half of the 70's. There was an absolutely awful low, budget Japanese TV "sci-fi horror" program that was so incredibly bad that it was incredibly entertaining. It was called Spectreman. We never missed it. Spectreman was a superhero defending the world from whatever the monster du jour menacing the human race happened to be. Every episode was a half hour, 2-parter and at the end of episode one Spectrman was always on the verge of being destroyed by the monster du jour. But in the second episode, Spectreman rallied and saved the human race from certain extinction.

The production was so low budget that in one of the episodes I remember seeing the back of the costume of that particular monster gaping wide open and you could clearly see the actor inside the costume. Unbeatable fun! I rank Spectreman right up there with the film "Killer Clowns from Outer Space" as some of the best must-see, worst productions of all time. Attached is one great totally forgettable episode.

Reaction Score
1. Spiro Agnew resignation party - grape juice and tequila.

2. Steely Dan at Big Surf

Reaction Score
I loved the Grateful Dead, but sadly didn't get to see them at their peak (i.e. until 1972). I only saw them once at Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ in the 1977 and it was a disappointing experience all around. They played well enough. But the huge crowd on an incredibly hot day and almost no services or food and drink available. Ugh.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, since the late 70's and early 80's cover my high school and college years, there are many. The era of 8-track car stereos and the curse of the gas crisis that killed the muscle car. The CB radio craze. Disco (that I could have done without). Southern rock. National Lampoon movies (Animal House, the "Vacation" series). Leisure suits (ugh).
Oh yes, leisure suits. With platform shoes (if you wanted to be dressie or Earth shoes if you wanted some comfort), "silk" satin shirts with big collars. I think I had a brown and possibly ?green? leisure suit. :eek: So glad we didn't take as many pictures back then. (for the youngin's - we had to have the film developed)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Steve was a couple years younger than me, but pretty much captured my mid-west childhood. If you (those who were growing up in the 70's/80's) want some childhood memories check out his book, Sting-Ray Afternoons. (Steve is Rebecca's husband - used to write for Sports Illustrated)

51BpXMRAXML._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingFOURANDHALF%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_ZA1%252C294%2C445%2C290%2C400%2C400%2CAmazonEmberBold%2C12%2C4%2C0%2C0%2C5_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255%2C255%2C255.jpg

Reaction Score
One of the brothers, I think it was Toy, had recently gotten out of the Marines after serving in Vietnam when they helped form Marshall Tucker. That was apparently just a few months before I saw them with the Allman Brothers. Tommy also served in Vietnam.

Gawd, the Tucker Boys had such a great country rock sound and feeling about them. Saw them 4 times along the front range during the 70's in the Colorado Denver-Boulder-Ft Collins area. Sadly, Tommy Caldwell died in a motorcycle accident in 1980 as I recall.

Reaction Score
Gawd, the Tucker Boys had such a great country rock sound and feeling about them. Saw them 4 times along the front range during the 70's in the Colorado Denver-Boulder-Ft Collins area. Sadly, Tommy Caldwell died in a motorcycle accident in 1980 as I recall.

While I was in college, I always cranked music at high volume to psyche me up when I was about to head out of the dorm for tests or quizzes. And the song I always cranked was Marshall Tucker's "Heard it in a Love Song". It aways got me going and it helped me do pretty well in school.

Such a great band.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Getting in fights on the basketball court and fighting during school. Summer camps. Spending vacation time at my grandparents and discovering a love for pound cake.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Getting in fights on the basketball court and fighting during school. Summer camps. Spending vacation time at my grandparents and discovering a love for pound cake.
True..it was a rare day whn a fight didn't break out, but everyone went back to being friends 2 days later, went to Camp Jewell for a month, thn to my grandmothers in N.C. ummm her pound cake made from scratch was the absolute best and within the family it is often imitated but never duplicated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ry7

Top Bottom