You have got to be kidding me | Page 2 | The Boneyard

You have got to be kidding me

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This was almost worse for the AAC, since UConn/UL 1/2 is sorta meaningless:

Why UConn got a No. 2 seed in 2019 women's NCAA basketball tournament

"As a No. 12 seed, UCF was the last at-large team chosen for the field, despite the fact that the Knights finished the season at No. 15 in the RPI. This is the worst seed for a team that high in the RPI in history. As an automatic qualifier out of the West Coast Conference in 2012, Gonzaga, which was 12th in the RPI, received an 11-seed. That's the best comparison.

Had it not made the committee's cut, UCF would have been by far the highest-rated RPI team ever left out of the field. USC, with an RPI of 36 in 2010, was the last team in a remotely similar scenario that did not get selected."

Reaction Score
Sweet Jesus.

This is so far off that I don’t think there’s a map to get you back to right.

They played three #1 seeds on the road....and they beat one of them. They also played Ohio State, Vandy, Old Miss, St. John’s, Purdue, DePaul, California, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Louisville.

They had one single opponent that was not from a power conference.

Can Louisville say that?

No. No one schedules OOC games like UConn does.
Wrong ND schedules a tough Non Conference.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sweet Jesus.

This is so far off that I don’t think there’s a map to get you back to right.

They played three #1 seeds on the road....and they beat one of them. They also played Ohio State, Vandy, Old Miss, St. John’s, Purdue, DePaul, California, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Louisville.

They had one single opponent that was not from a power conference.

Can Louisville say that?

No. No one schedules OOC games like UConn does.
I'll endeavor to look past the insulting portions of your post to address its substance.

Conference affiliation of the opponents is irrelevant. You really think UConn should've received party favors for playing Vanderbilt, Oklahoma and Ole Miss? Do you know how bad those teams were this year?

Nonconference SOS rank:
Louisville #15
UConn #31

(Not that it's even relevant to the discussion, but you omitted to mention Seton Hall and Saint Louis. I mean, if you're gonna call me stupid then sweet Jesus at least get your facts right.)

Reaction Score
Sorted by strength of schedule

Attachments

• 48E0C29D-1E87-4E46-92C7-6AF3AFB33832.jpeg
    48E0C29D-1E87-4E46-92C7-6AF3AFB33832.jpeg
    585.4 KB · Views: 94

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wrong ND schedules a tough Non Conference.

Harvard, Penn, DePaul, Gonzaga, Drake, Oregon State, Iowa, Toledo, Binghamton, Western Kentucky, Lehigh, Toledo, Marquette, Tennessee....

Lots of flotsam and jetsam in there. Not a bad schedule, but not UConn’s.

I'll endeavor to look past the insulting portions of your post to address its substance.

Conference affiliation of the opponents is irrelevant. You really think UConn should've received party favors for playing Vanderbilt, Oklahoma and Ole Miss? Do you know how bad those teams were this year?

Nonconference SOS rank:
Louisville #15
UConn #31

(Not that it's even relevant to the discussion, but you omitted to mention Seton Hall and Saint Louis. I mean, if you're gonna call me stupid then sweet Jesus at least get your facts right.)

I didn’t call you stupid, I called you wrong. Which you are.

This is not rocket science.

There is one single team on UConn’s schedule that did not come from a power conference. UConn plays more road games than home games - I can guarantee that’s not the case for UL or Notre Dame.

And they played three one seeds on the road....show me the tough road games Louisville played out of conference.

You can’t. They didn’t have one.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I didn’t call you stupid, I called you wrong. Which you are.

This is not rocket science.

There is one single team on UConn’s schedule that did not come from a power conference. UConn plays more road games than home games - I can guarantee that’s not the case for UL or Notre Dame.

And they played three one seeds on the road....show me the tough road games Louisville played out of conference.

You can’t. They didn’t have one.
No, I am not wrong. I have my facts correct, and you do not.

You not only got your facts wrong but you then disregarded the correction. Again, you failed to account for UConn's games vs. Seton Hall and Saint Louis. So please, whatever else you continue to say, do not repeat the objective falsehood that UConn only played "one single team" not from a power conference.

But that is beside the larger point, which is that opponents' conference affiliation per se is irrelevant to schedule strength. I repeat: Vanderbilt, Ole Miss and Oklahoma were not good teams this year, by any measure. To pretend that they represent an asset to UConn's schedule is delusional.

Reaction Score
The harder and unfair the battle...

...the greater the victory.

end of story.

Reaction Score
No, I am not wrong. I have my facts correct, and you do not.

You not only got your facts wrong but you then disregarded the correction. Again, you failed to account for UConn's games vs. Seton Hall and Saint Louis. So please, whatever else you continue to say, do not repeat the objective falsehood that UConn only played "one single team" not from a power conference.

But that is beside the larger point, which is that opponents' conference affiliation per se is irrelevant to schedule strength. I repeat: Vanderbilt, Ole Miss and Oklahoma were not good teams this year, by any measure. To pretend that they represent an asset to UConn's schedule is delusional.
Nope, you are indeed wrong. UConn's overall SOS is 12. That includes the weak AAC games so their nonconference SOS is even higher. And that matters even less than how many Top 10 teams they played and where they played them. You are more than wrong.
But the real issue isn't the seed. The real issue is that we have to face ND in the semis again. Get ready to be shafted by the refs again! But the "good" sportsmanlike UConn fans will just say that we had a bad game again. Funny how that always coincides with ND not getting called for fouls. Yep, the fouls won't get called and our girls will stop driving and UConn superfans will get the chicken and egg reversed again.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Nope, you are indeed wrong. UConn's overall SOS is 12. That includes the weak AAC games so their nonconference SOS is even higher. And that matters even less than how many Top 10 teams they played and where they played them. You are more than wrong.
But the real issue isn't the seed. The real issue is that we have to face ND in the semis again. Get ready to be shafted by the refs again! But the "good" sportsmanlike UConn fans will just say that we had a bad game again. Funny how that always coincides with ND not getting called for fouls. Yep, the fouls won't get called and our girls will stop driving and UConn superfans will get the chicken and egg reversed again.
You are using Massey's SOS. The committee's team sheets show UConn's overall SOS as #30.
Feel free to download the team sheets yourself: NCAA RPI Archive - Home

Since you already know exactly how all the games will go, no need for you to watch, then.

Reaction Score
If the committee firmly believed that Louisville was above UConn, geographically they get placed in Albany. The committee could have put Mississippi State in Albany as a 2 and shipped UConn out west. That would’ve ticked people off. I truly believe Uconn was the #4 overall team and the committee dropped them to #5 for geography. I am ok with that. If they kept us as a one with Louisville going out west we’d be facing Mississippi state. We avoid having Mississippi state as our 2 seed, stay close to home, and play the one seed I feel we match up best with. The number two designation more so highlights the emphasis on geography over everything else.

Time to cross our fingers and root for Stanford and Oregon St to help make things easier.
Do not agree UConn was the #4 overall team, IMHO UCONN was the #2 overall team. I do not understand how the committee thought ND, Louisville, or MSST deserved a #1 seed over UConn but I still feel UCONN has a great shot at the N.C. Wishing you guys the best and hope to see you in the championship game!

Reaction Score
You are using Massey's SOS. The committee's team sheets show UConn's overall SOS as #30.
Feel free to download the team sheets yourself: NCAA RPI Archive - Home

Since you already know exactly how all the games will go, no need for you to watch, then.
The RPI is based on 3rd grade math and 3rd grade logic. You have been using it to support your claim that UConn had a weak nonconference schedule. If you meant to imply that it is why the NCAA viewed their noncon schedule so low but that you disagreed, you failed. Anyone that uses the RPI to argue anything is arguing at a 3rd grade level. The Massey ratings are far closer to the truth and the truth is that UConn got shafted. To argue otherwise is wrong, period. At least Baylor will deny ND another undeserved championship.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The RPI is based on 3rd grade math and 3rd grade logic. You have been using it to support your claim that UConn had a weak nonconference schedule. If you meant to imply that it is why the NCAA viewed their noncon schedule so low but that you disagreed, you failed. Anyone that uses the RPI to argue anything is arguing at a 3rd grade level. The Massey ratings are far closer to the truth and the truth is that UConn got shafted. To argue otherwise is wrong, period. At least Baylor will deny ND another undeserved championship.
It doesn't matter if you or I think Massey is a better tool than RPI. What matters is which one the committee uses, which for now is the RPI, not Massey.

The crudeness of the RPI didn't prevent UConn from having the #1 nonconference SOS the previous 3 years running. And the year before that, UConn had the #6 NC SOS and even (gasp) suffered a loss at Stanford, and was still awarded the overall #1 seed by the committee.

By no means was it clear this year that UConn had one of the best 4 resumes in the country. They had a case for it, but to go into full-blown victim-complex mode is unwarranted.

Reaction Score
Isn’t the alternative the one seed in Albany?
No not really—what they do is give the overall #1 the 1 seed at the closest regional. Then the #2 gets the closest of the remaining three etc. so with four #1’s in the eastern or central time zone the fourth #1 gets the short straw and is shipped out west. Which under the “UConn is the fourth #1” hypothesis would be UConn.

Which would leave a lot of fans of UConn upset for a different reason—the committee knows the geographical distribution of ticket sales and I’ll bet a fair plurality of Albany ticket sales (as high as 40%) are to people whose zip code starts with 06. They do have to think about getting attendance at the regionals and having UConn play in Albany, even as the 2 seed, helps maximize attendance there.

Now if this were next year (when the closest regionals to us are Greenville SC and Fort Wayne IN) they might have given us the last one seed since geography then would not be a factor or at least less of one.

So after some thought I think the setup is actually okay. Would I prefer to have UConn as the 1 seed? Sure. But until the regional final it doesn’t matter much. (As the highest two seed the S curve would assign our bracket the lowest 3 seed.) And as Geno said all that means is we change to road jerseys in the regional final assuming everything goes according to seeding. It also might mean that we don’t have four blowout victories and then lose in the national semifinal — there’s an old saw that you can’t win it all without a close hard fought victory before the final four.

Just a few thoughts from someone who thinks about this stuff—

Reaction Score
I cant believe it but looking back I guess I can expect it. UConn lost the past two seasons in the NCAA's. Saniya driving the lane get knocked and no call and if she had gone to the line for 2 and made one the game is pretty much over. Then last season UConn outscores ND from the field and looses when ND goes to the line 20 times more and wins in OT. No w this. You have got to be kidding me. To top it off Tenn makes the tourney with a loosing record in their conference and they dug up all kinds of excuses to put them in????????? Give somebody else a chance. You can tell Im pissed. Please excuse the language. This is a slap in the face for the team that has put the new WCBB on the map. Just like a few years ago when Penn St was a one seed and DT and UConn blew them out we are sucker punched again. I am not happy at all. This is a disgrace to a team and a coaching staff that has set the bar at another level. With 3 AA's playing and two top HS POY and with only 2 losses and with a better SOS then one other 1 seed UConn of all teams is ranked 2. I need to be put on the NCAA selection committee. Not only me but we need to get some other people on there. UConn of all teams deserves and has earned a one seed. You know what it wont matter. UConn barring injuries and foul trouble will win the regionals . I would like to say barring foul trouble on both sides meaning to many fouls called on UConn and no calls on their opponents. I saw it last season and its become a novelty against ND over the years. Lets have a level playing field. Ive said enough for today. I am not happy when my team gets slapped in the face. Be Fair.

2 AA's.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno must be livid knowing that the selection committee comprised of these irrelevant school administrators are deciding that his team's resume doesn't match their inconsistent criteria for a #1 seed:
Rhonda Lundin Bennett Committee chair senior woman administrator, University of Nevada, Reno
Ceal Barry, deputy athletics director, University of Colorado, Boulder
Ken Bothof, director of athletics, Northern Kentucky University
DeJuena Chizer, senior associate athletics director/SWA, University of Houston
Leslie Claybrook, assistant commissioner, Southeastern Conference
Nina King, senior deputy director of athletics, Duke University
Tamica Smith Jones, director of athletics, University of California, Riverside
Teresa Phillips, director of athletics, Tennessee State University
Deborah Richardson, senior associate commissioner, Atlantic 10 Conference
Diane C. Turnham, senior associate athletics director, Middle Tennessee State University

Two from TN. That explains alot. ;)

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if you or I think Massey is a better tool than RPI. What matters is which one the committee uses, which for now is the RPI, not Massey.

The crudeness of the RPI didn't prevent UConn from having the #1 nonconference SOS the previous 3 years running. And the year before that, UConn had the #6 NC SOS and even (gasp) suffered a loss at Stanford, and was still awarded the overall #1 seed by the committee.

By no means was it clear this year that UConn had one of the best 4 resumes in the country. They had a case for it, but to go into full-blown victim-complex mode is unwarranted.
If your opinion doesn't matter, why are you arguing that UConn has a weak schedule? Why not let people be upset?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I cant believe it but looking back I guess I can expect it. UConn lost the past two seasons in the NCAA's. Saniya driving the lane get knocked and no call and if she had gone to the line for 2 and made one the game is pretty much over. Then last season UConn outscores ND from the field and looses when ND goes to the line 20 times more and wins in OT. No w this. You have got to be kidding me. To top it off Tenn makes the tourney with a loosing record in their conference and they dug up all kinds of excuses to put them in????????? Give somebody else a chance. You can tell Im pissed. Please excuse the language. This is a slap in the face for the team that has put the new WCBB on the map. Just like a few years ago when Penn St was a one seed and DT and UConn blew them out we are sucker punched again. I am not happy at all. This is a disgrace to a team and a coaching staff that has set the bar at another level. With 3 AA's playing and two top HS POY and with only 2 losses and with a better SOS then one other 1 seed UConn of all teams is ranked 2. I need to be put on the NCAA selection committee. Not only me but we need to get some other people on there. UConn of all teams deserves and has earned a one seed. You know what it wont matter. UConn barring injuries and foul trouble will win the regionals . I would like to say barring foul trouble on both sides meaning to many fouls called on UConn and no calls on their opponents. I saw it last season and its become a novelty against ND over the years. Lets have a level playing field. Ive said enough for today. I am not happy when my team gets slapped in the face. Be Fair.
Tony, we don't get points for history. A terrible SOS and a 1-2 record with teams ranked above us in SOS determined we didn't earn it. We are a 2 and that's that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom