You have got to be kidding me | Page 3 | The Boneyard

You have got to be kidding me

Reaction Score
Wow! What a discussion. Lots of anger here. Like Geno says, it is what it is so we, UConn, are going to getter done. The past is the past. Anyone here can change it? Didn't think so. Learn some lessons, perhaps. For the last 10 years, UConn has been he top dog. No pun intended. There is envy and, hate to say this, hate. The destruction of the best by a new best or group of bests is sensationally exciting and good sports reporting and TV viewership. One fellow mentioned that UConn helped to get attention to Women's basketball. I tend to agree with that thesis as it supports the points that I have listed. In three weeks, it won't matter was is said here.

Reaction Score
I cant believe it but looking back I guess I can expect it. UConn lost the past two seasons in the NCAA's. Saniya driving the lane get knocked and no call and if she had gone to the line for 2 and made one the game is pretty much over. Then last season UConn outscores ND from the field and looses when ND goes to the line 20 times more and wins in OT. No w this. You have got to be kidding me. To top it off Tenn makes the tourney with a loosing record in their conference and they dug up all kinds of excuses to put them in????????? Give somebody else a chance. You can tell Im pissed. Please excuse the language. This is a slap in the face for the team that has put the new WCBB on the map. Just like a few years ago when Penn St was a one seed and DT and UConn blew them out we are sucker punched again. I am not happy at all. This is a disgrace to a team and a coaching staff that has set the bar at another level. With 3 AA's playing and two top HS POY and with only 2 losses and with a better SOS then one other 1 seed UConn of all teams is ranked 2. I need to be put on the NCAA selection committee. Not only me but we need to get some other people on there. UConn of all teams deserves and has earned a one seed. You know what it wont matter. UConn barring injuries and foul trouble will win the regionals . I would like to say barring foul trouble on both sides meaning to many fouls called on UConn and no calls on their opponents. I saw it last season and its become a novelty against ND over the years. Lets have a level playing field. Ive said enough for today. I am not happy when my team gets slapped in the face. Be Fair.

Apparently, not from Nebraska.

Relax, pal. There are many evils in the world. This is not one of them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I will take a bizarre and somewhat contrarian position here. The Committee & ESPN actually want UConn in the FF. They also want 2 marquee matchups: Baylor vs MS St & UConn vs ND. They can’t give UConn the overall #1 seed and a potential matchup with the easiest Elite 8 opponent, Iowa. If UConn had won at least one of their two road losses, it might have been a different story.

The problem was what to do with MS St. If UConn is the last 1 seed, then MS St, a bad matchup for the Huskies, is the 2 seed in Albany. If MS St wins, they potentially still get MS St vs Baylor, but no ND - UConn. If UConn wins, then we have an even worse matchup for the Huskies in the semifinals vs Baylor.

By sending MS St out west where they have a chance to beat an Oregon team that’s shown some vulnerability in the last month, they setup the potential matchups they and ESPN want in the FF, and they send Louisville to Albany, where they will be an underdog, assuming they get by a Scott Rueck coached OR St.

As a reminder, the last time Jeff Walz brought in a heavily favored Louisville team to the Albany Regional, the Cardinals lost to mid-major Dayton.

Reaction Score
I don't think the selection committee had any real motive here other than what they said: your conference sucks be happy with your two seed and playing close to home. The same thing would happen to any other mid-major school.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think there were multiple incremental issues that knocked us off the 1 line with most being verbalized by the committee chair

1) We did not play as well or as convincingly down the stretch. We were down to hobbled USF in the 4Q.

2) Our conference is a mess

3) Lou may not be 100%.

4) Not verbalized and painful but we did not do any favors with the games we played against Baylor and Lousiville. The scores were closer than the discrepency in play.

Even so, we got as good a draw as we could reasonably expect and I am very happy.

If you want to ignore the signs and feel we got shafted, fine but I would rather know what our team really is and how we can improve when it counts.

On the very positive side, our freshman (especially ONO) has earned the respect of our staff and players, it seems that Lou is on track (physically at least) and probably has the greatest chip (or middle finger) on her shoulder. etc

It will be fun.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with this

for a NC, most likely they'll have to beat the 2 teams they lost to and ND

That's the way is should be.

Also IMO, Louisville carrying a 1 tag puts more pressure on them, and in a building that will be as close to a Husky home crowd as you get in any other venue this year.

I disagree with most of the matchup worries posted here regarding the bigs with the exception of Baylor, I still think Cox is a problem.

My matchup concerns are with teams with the guards who can break the defense, and our own perimeter defense.

As far as SOS goes, its a crap shoot when you make out the schedule, you're making these schedules years in advance. This was a rebuild year for SC, USF should have been stronger, and who they heck knows whats going on with Cal and Okla.

Plus we always have the "homecoming" road games for the seniors, which I think is overall for the good -- I mean when does St. Louis get a gate like they got.

We don't duck anyone ever, go out of our way to get the highest SOS we can, and spread the "wealth" with teams that draw no one. --- so no bitching from me on SOS, it is what it is and generally on average YoY its fine.

Just beat the team that's in front of you.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I don't care a whit. UConn is going to have to beat these teams anyway. To me seeding doesn't matter, although I so relish a chance to beat Louisville after that regular season debacle.

"No trait is more justified than revenge in the right time and place." Meir Kahane

The Time: March 31, 2019

The Place: Albany, New York.

Reaction Score
I think there were multiple incremental issues that knocked us off the 1 line with most being verbalized by the committee chair

1) We did not play as well or as convincingly down the stretch. We were down to hobbled USF in the 4Q.

2) Our conference is a mess

3) Lou may not be 100%.

4) Not verbalized and painful but we did not do any favors with the games we played against Baylor and Lousiville. The scores were closer than the discrepency in play.

Even so, we got as good a draw as we could reasonably expect and I am very happy.

If you want to ignore the signs and feel we got shafted, fine but I would rather know what our team really is and how we can improve when it counts.

On the very positive side, our freshman (especially ONO) has earned the respect of our staff and players, it seems that Lou is on track (physically at least) and probably has the greatest chip (or middle finger) on her shoulder. etc

It will be fun.

It is both the case that our resume was not that impressive and the logic used to relegate us to a #2 seed is disturbing.

- Yes, we only went 1-2 against other contenders and weren't all that competitive in the games we lost (never got closer than 6 points in the 4th quarter against Baylor, nor closer than 5 in the 4th quarter against Louisville).
- We also didn't have that many good wins against second tier opponents. Our OOC was stronger on paper going into the year than it turned out to be -- a lot of those second tier teams turned out to be frauds, though we almost lost to abysmal Oklahoma.
- The conference was at its usual weakness, and we looked bad in a number of those games despite winning.

That said, our only losses are to #1 seeds, on the road. The "eye test" has frankly never been a consideration, and for the committee to invoke how we looked down the stretch -- which also has never been a consideration -- is disingenuous. They also finally admitted, through an accidental slip of the tongue, that they evaluate "strength of conference" and not just strength of schedule.

They're giving license to downgrade UConn on account of the AAC. There's a long way to go for this program to fade to the level of a Louisiana Tech or Old Dominion, but if you're looking for a first step, this is it.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with this

for a NC, most likely they'll have to beat the 2 teams they lost to and ND

That's the way is should be.

Also IMO, Louisville carrying a 1 tag puts more pressure on them, and in a building that will be as close to a Husky home crowd as you get in any other venue this year.

I disagree with most of the matchup worries posted here regarding the bigs with the exception of Baylor, I still think Cox is a problem.

My matchup concerns are with teams with the guards who can break the defense, and our own perimeter defense.

As far as SOS goes, its a crap shoot when you make out the schedule, you're making these schedules years in advance. This was a rebuild year for SC, USF should have been stronger, and who they heck knows whats going on with Cal and Okla.

Plus we always have the "homecoming" road games for the seniors, which I think is overall for the good -- I mean when does St. Louis get a gate like they got.

We don't duck anyone ever, go out of our way to get the highest SOS we can, and spread the "wealth" with teams that draw no one. --- so no bitching from me on SOS, it is what it is and generally on average YoY its fine.

Just beat the team that's in front of you.
Without any hard evidence, my sense is that the committee took KLS’s injury into account in their ranking. But as NS said, this is where UConn is.

And I don’t share the worries about teams with size. UConn’s offense at Baylor was very ragged; the defense played adequately. Watching Miss St lately indicates that they are vulnerable too. AEH helps their offense but diminishes their defense.

And UConn’s offense has become better as Crystal has taken charge. And Liv and Mikayla have given the defense more options.

So the question seems to be can KLS contribute in the tournament? Her physical condition is obviously uncertain but, even if she is healthy, can she manage her emotions?

At this point in her career, Stevie knew that hacking her was part of the game. With KLS, it often proves an effective tool to discomfort her. And her frame is less able to take what Stevie took.

So, to me, if KLS plays adequately, UConn wins the tournament.

Reaction Score
I’m okay with a #2 seed for UConn. I’d be okay with a #16 seed for UConn. Geno has always been firm about being willing and wanting to play any team at any place at any time. It shouldn’t matter regardless. I’m a firm believer in if you can’t beat the best team in the first round, what makes you think you can beat them in the finals?

In other news, Mississippi State got sent out West so Louisville, Notre Dame, and UConn could all stay close to home. Let’s just keep rooting for UConn and watch how the tournament plays out.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Has anyone seen a final ranking from the selection committee of where they put every team?

We know with the one seeds it went:

1. Baylor (goes closest to home, so SC)
2. ND (next closest, so Chicago)
3. Louisville (next closest, so Albany)
4. Miss St (next closest, so Portland)
(and then)
5. UConn
6. Oregon (?)
7. Stanford (?)
8. Iowa

I think the argument is not over whether UConn or Louisville should have been a #1 seed, but whether Miss St or UConn should have been a #1 seed. I think Baylor/ND/Louisville ahead of UConn was never going to change, and I think for all three of them that's justifiable (all have higher RPIs than UConn and better SOS, and two of them have wins over UConn).

I actually think UConn has a much better resume than Miss St, but that would mean UConn is sent out west, with Oregon almost certainly as their #2 in Portland. So here are the most likely options for the team:

Albany: #2 seed, with #1 Louisville
Portland: #1 seed, with #2 Oregon

I'm not a UConn fan, but not sure one seems that much better than the other.

Reaction Score
There are many SF/NY Giants fans that are upset that Bobby Richardson had Stretch McCovey so perfectly defended for the final out of the 1962 World Series. If he plays McCovey straightaway, the Giants win.

Even Lobo said it was a great no call. That’s how you know.

Reaction Score
It is interesting that we were bumped down, but for the sake of travelling, I’m happy with a two in Albany.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Has anyone seen a final ranking from the selection committee of where they put every team?

We know with the one seeds it went:

1. Baylor (goes closest to home, so SC)
2. ND (next closest, so Chicago)
3. Louisville (next closest, so Albany)
4. Miss St (next closest, so Portland)
(and then)
5. UConn
6. Oregon (?)
7. Stanford (?)
8. Iowa

I think the argument is not over whether UConn or Louisville should have been a #1 seed, but whether Miss St or UConn should have been a #1 seed. I think Baylor/ND/Louisville ahead of UConn was never going to change, and I think for all three of them that's justifiable (all have higher RPIs than UConn and better SOS, and two of them have wins over UConn).

I actually think UConn has a much better resume than Miss St, but that would mean UConn is sent out west, with Oregon almost certainly as their #2 in Portland. So here are the most likely options for the team:

Albany: #2 seed, with #1 Louisville
Portland: #1 seed, with #2 Oregon

I'm not a UConn fan, but not sure one seems that much better than the other.
I am a UConn fan so long as they are not playing MSST and I think playing in Albany against Louisville is much better than playing Oregon at Portland. Of the number one seeds, I see Louisville getting the worst draw, MSST the 2nd worst draw, ND the 3rd worst draw, and Baylor the best draw, however I believe the best draw overall is UConn. IMHO, UConn is the favorite for the NC!

Reaction Score
Nope, you are indeed wrong. UConn's overall SOS is 12. That includes the weak AAC games so their nonconference SOS is even higher. And that matters even less than how many Top 10 teams they played and where they played them. You are more than wrong.
But the real issue isn't the seed. The real issue is that we have to face ND in the semis again. Get ready to be shafted by the refs again! But the "good" sportsmanlike UConn fans will just say that we had a bad game again. Funny how that always coincides with ND not getting called for fouls. Yep, the fouls won't get called and our girls will stop driving and UConn superfans will get the chicken and egg reversed again.
Being on the same side with ND is better than with Baylor!

Reaction Score
Being on the same side with ND is better than with Baylor!
Hopefully, we can derail Baylor in the FF and have the dream game for the NC, UConn vs MSST! Oh, got to get by Oregon first,no small task!

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Shouldn't Louisville and UConn, the No. 4 and No. 5 overall seeds, respectively, be on the same side of the bracket as Baylor, the No. 1 overall seed?

Reaction Score
Shouldn't Louisville and UConn, the No. 4 and No. 5 overall seeds, respectively, be on the same side of the bracket as Baylor, the No. 1 overall seed?
Mississippi State and Oregon were the 4 and 5. Louisville and UConn were 3 and 6.

Reaction Score
All the things that determine the data used by the Committee are "made up" by the NCAA.
For example, the RPI and SOS are all based on the teams ranking and record within their conference throughout the season. And they are determined by the various polls.
So at the beginning of the season, all the pundits and voters select teams from the major conferences just because everyone knows that these teams are the best in the country. Just because. Even if the conference actually only have 2 or 3 teams that are actually good. But as long as the other 10 win some conference games they get votes and are ranked, thus increasing their RPI and SOS ranks, even when they suck.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State and Oregon were the 4 and 5. Louisville and UConn were 3 and 6.
Which just shows the bias of this year's Committee, UConn ended up #2 in the AP Poll.
I guess that the AP voters have no clue on how to vote.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Okay, thanks. So UConn slipped from No. 4 in the penultimate reveal to No. 6, despite roiling through its conference tournament. Hmm.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
All the things that determine the data used by the Committee are "made up" by the NCAA.
For example, the RPI and SOS are all based on the teams ranking and record within their conference throughout the season. And they are determined by the various polls.
So at the beginning of the season, all the pundits and voters select teams from the major conferences just because everyone knows that these teams are the best in the country. Just because. Even if the conference actually only have 2 or 3 teams that are actually good. But as long as the other 10 win some conference games they get votes and are ranked, thus increasing their RPI and SOS ranks, even when they suck.
Yikes, this isn't true at all.

The RPI and SOS are just numbers that get crunched through a formula. They are not determined by the polls and they don't see the name on the jersey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom