Yesterday's coaching | The Boneyard

Yesterday's coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love KO and don't just appreciate what he did last year, I appreciate everything he's done for the program and university over all his years as player and student. His coaching job in the 2013 ban year was my favorite and the National Championship speaks for itself. What I want to say is, yesterday was very saddening to see him sitting in a chair and not competing. I can't relate to going through a divorce, but he is getting paid a 16 million contract and I expect a little more effort. I'm shocked at how undisciplined and poorly coached yesterdays team was. We all feel embarrassed by that performance. We have 1 senior on the team so stop blaming just the players, they are young. EVERYBODY needs to do better, starting with the coaches. I believe in this team I just hope the coaching staff steps up.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
KO is paid a lot of money. Like you, I can't relate to going through divorce, but that does not mean he gets a pass at doing his job. I love KO dearly, but Jim Calhoun needs to have a talk with him. This can not continue.

Reaction Score
I wish this divorce never became public, was the divorce affecting him against Florida or Cincinnati? Why do ya'll keep bringing this up as this had any affect on last night's game? Ya'll need to take the Dr. Melfi act somewhere else, the team played like garbage, KO tried multiple lineups to have them not play like garbage, it didn't work, move on to the next game.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I wish this divorce never became public, was the divorce affecting him against Florida or Cincinnati? Why do ya'll keep bringing this up as this had any affect on last night's game? Ya'll need to take the Dr. Melfi act somewhere else, the team played like garbage, KO tried multiple lineups to have them not play like garbage, it didn't work, move on to the next game.
You were not watching the game if you think that KO coached the best he could.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I'm not saying the divorce is to blame, but KO does not seem to have the same fire in him this year that he has had in the past.

Reaction Score
One thing I wish KO would do a little better, and this goes back, be a little more volatile when necessary. When the refs are calling something every time your team moves in the first 10 minutes you need to show your disapproval - all the great ones do, JC, K, Izzo etc etc etc...........it needs to happen more!

Other than that I do not believe the divorce was the reason he wasn't the same animated coach. I think it may have just been so frustrating there comes a time every coach feels helpless, they were awful. Multiple line up changes, time outs etc etc and nothing was working. Boat on the other hand, with his brother's deal, maybe that was it? Not sure why it wouldn't be even more of an effort though in memory of his brother?

H

huskymagic

One thing I wish KO would do a little better, and this goes back, be a little more volatile when necessary. When the refs are calling something every time your team moves in the first 10 minutes you need to show your disapproval - all the great ones do, JC, K, Izzo etc etc etc......it needs to happen more!

Other than that I do not believe the divorce was the reason he wasn't the same animated coach. I think it may have just been so frustrating there comes a time every coach feels helpless, they were awful. Multiple line up changes, time outs etc etc and nothing was working. Boat on the other hand, with his brother's deal, maybe that was it? Not sure why it wouldn't be even more of an effort though in memory of his brother?

Mauconn Boatright's play had nothing to do with brother/cousin. He didn't play well and wasn't playing with the energy you need to be successful. There is always an excuse. Kevin Ollie needs to start utilizing Jim Calhoun's coaching methods including calling timeouts one minute into games and yanking players including Purvis and Boatright if not playing up to par. Playing through Amida and startin Omar are also things that need to be rectified if we want to make the NCAA tournament this year.

Reaction Score
Mauconn Boatright's play had nothing to do with brother/cousin. He didn't play well and wasn't playing with the energy you need to be successful. There is always an excuse. Kevin Ollie needs to start utilizing Jim Calhoun's coaching methods including calling timeouts one minute into games and yanking players including Purvis and Boatright if not playing up to par. Playing through Amida and startin Omar are also things that need to be rectified if we want to make the NCAA tournament this year.
Do you forget that KO had a team that through no fault of its own was banned from postseason play his first year but still battled their asses off game in and game out?

Or that in his first year eligible for the NCAA Tournament, his team won a little thing called an NCAA Championship? JC was extremely successful through his style but KO is his own man, with his own style. Yes, he and his kids had a bad night last night but overall his coaching method has been extremely successful. Jim Calhoun would be the first to tell you that.

Reaction Score
Coaches do different things to motivate. Calhoun did it. He'd yell, or he'd ignore. It would depend on circumstances and what he thought would work. He wasn't always right, but had a pretty good track record.
Ollie has earned the benefit of the doubt. If you think you know what he was or wasn't doing or that he wasn't trying, you need to get over yourself.

Reaction Score
Guys, take this anyway you want it. Ollie was not himself last night. I am married, never been divorced. In saying that, I have been a divorce lawyer for 13 years now. Ollie is a very spiritual guy...and from what we know a very family oriented guy. If you believe this pending divorce will not have an impact on his daily life and job, you are kidding yourself. There are two ways people take these things...either you submerse yourself in your job or you obsess your self with it in everything you do. He may be a hero to us as a UCONN fan, but he is just like you and me when it comes to these things. To be honest, in my opinion, this will be a tough year, and I understand. Not that I am happy about it but I hope he can find his focus again. This can snowball real quick.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Guys, take this anyway you want it. Ollie was not himself last night. I am married, never been divorced. In saying that, I have been a divorce lawyer for 13 years now. Ollie is a very spiritual guy...and from what we know a very family oriented guy. If you believe this pending divorce will not have an impact on his daily life and job, you are kidding yourself. There are two ways people take these things...either you submerse yourself in your job or you obsess your self with it in everything you do. He may be a hero to us as a UCONN fan, but he is just like you and me when it comes to these things. To be honest, in my opinion, this will be a tough year, and I understand. Not that I am happy about it but I hope he can find his focus again. This can snowball real quick.

So if we start winning, people will say it's because it submersed himself in his job, and if we keep losing, it's because his head isn't in it? Maybe these players need to put the duck***** ball in the duck**** basket. That will probably help KO submerse himself in his job.

Not trying to make light of what you're saying. It's valid. But the notion that people can "see" what's going on with him from watching him on TV is absolute nonsense.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. Nobody knows WTF is going on in his head...but he didn't look right the other night. That was only part of the problem..looked like the whole team was getting divorced!

Reaction Score
Well I think the problems have been masked at times due to great defense but the lack of ball movement(RP and at times RB) can be frustrating to see. Also, why the hell nobody but PN goes to the middle of the zone on offense is still puzzling me. Shouldn't Dham be camped there either shooting from the FT line or making lobs to AB. He is always stuck on the corners which isn't his strength right now due to his outside shot still being a little suspect at times. KO has coached well but there is no doubt his mind through the year has been other places. The only reason yesterday's game stood out was that we also stopped playing defense and gave up for most of the game.

On to Stanford. Hopefully the boys and KO can re-focus and we can start a long winning streak!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think most dedicated professionals maintain their professionalism through a divorce. If that was affecting him during a game, I would be surprised and we would be in deep doo-doo.
I think there just must be time when you run out of things to say.

I wish KO was a little more vocal at times but to suggest a personality transplant from JC is crazy. A Coach has to be their own person. Kids can smell in-authenticity from a mile away. Personally, I appreciate that KO doesn't grab kids by their shirt or ignore them during a time out. But he can't do those things because it is not him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Mauconn Boatright's play had nothing to do with brother/cousin. He didn't play well and wasn't playing with the energy you need to be successful. There is always an excuse.
I'm sorry, but WHAT THE duck ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? There's always an excuse for Boatright? Excuse for what? For trying to carry a team of under-experienced underclassmen on his back? For being the only reliable ball handler on the team?

He had a bad night. Why? Who knows? I know I don't, but for you to state that his play had nothing to do with it being the one year anniversary of the death of his brother is possibly the most ridiculous thing you've ever posted here--and that's saying something. You have no
f vcking clue what you're talking about. Given your basketball insights, I guess that shouldn't be a surprise.

Yes, KO should yank Boat a minute into the game to teach him a lesson about "playing with the energy you need to be successful." That's the answer. Bazinga!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Boat just looked tired to me.

Unfortunately, given that this team has all but fitted him for a saddle, if he's not right, the whole team is screwed.

I also don't think it's reasonable to expect that the human beings that make up our basketball program be completely unfazed by events in their lives.

If a pending divorce and the issues surrounding it are affecting Ollie to some extent, that's just the reality of not being able to put these guys in a bubble between games.

Reaction Score
Mauconn Boatright's play had nothing to do with brother/cousin. He didn't play well and wasn't playing with the energy you need to be successful.

Boatright will never deserve critisicm this year. Yeah I said it. The kid has a raw deal, he's a senior who has no consistent help. DHam is as close as it comes and he's a freshman. Boat can't have one bad game or its a loss for sure.

Name me one other player who has been in Boat's situation and I will say you are lying. Sadly his pro stock may be impacted because of this team. Jalen will have much more to work with next year and I hope to God people don't downplay what Boat is trying to do and with what he is doing it with. Worse yet please don't compare freshman Jalen with Boat! Boat has paid his dues, deferring and waited for this moment.

Ollie has 8-9 players to work with at anytime. Boat only has 4 and they are young, inconsistent, inexperienced and quite frankly at this point not even All Conference Team worthy. So even his coach has more to work with.

I love the kid and he sure ain't never asked for sympathy. Even some of our players 'on that wall' would have sulked and publicly bitched in his situation. Boat just keeps on tying up his shoes with whatever injury and plays his heart out.

So STFU if you are going to complain about Boat the kid is in a bad situation, and trying like hell to make the most of it. If he has a bad game so be it, I say look to his teammates, they actually need to have his back and I'm not talking vocally.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
that's just the reality of not being able to put these guys in a bubble between games.
Just another example of the UConn staff being outmuscled on the recruiting trail. I'm hearing that both Stone and Dorsey have been offered Between Game Bubble Service by the other schools still on their lists. From what I understand, it is similar to a palanquin.

Reaction Score
The losses and generally abysmal stretches for this squad don't bother me like they used to - I think 4 national championships does that.

But I really feel terrible for Boatright. The kid deserves a better send-off than this. That he continues to carry himself in the manner that he does says a lot about him.

Reaction Score

This is going to be an annoying subplot on this board for the rest of the season. Obviously, KO is human and things that happen off he court can effect his performance like anybody else, but now we're going to have posters on here playing couch psychiatrist every time the team has a bad game.

H

huskymagic

I'm sorry, but WHAT THE duck ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? There's always an excuse for Boatright? Excuse for what? For trying to carry a team of under-experienced underclassmen on his back? For being the only reliable ball handler on the team?

He had a bad night. Why? Who knows? I know I don't, but for you to state that his play had nothing to do with it being the one year anniversary of the death of his brother is possibly the most ridiculous thing you've ever posted here--and that's saying something. You have no
f vcking clue what you're talking about. Given your basketball insights, I guess that shouldn't be a surprise.

Yes, KO should yank Boat a minute into the game to teach him a lesson about "playing with the energy you need to be successful." That's the answer. Bazinga!

Excuses as in everyone has one. Boat is a college professional and on the court you don't think of anything but basketball. Boat looked lethargic, tired, passive, not explosive etc. That's not a knock on him its the truth. Stop taking everything so personally like your Boat's bodyguard and look at things from a neutral perspective, it will be revolutionary.

Lack of chemistry especially with Purvis and a lack of smart players other than Omar and Rakim definitely exacerbates his situation as the lead guard. Boat would much rather play with Omar that's for sure. Ollie's insistence on sticking with the same pass the ball around the perimeter to guys that can't shoot isn't helping Boatright either making it easier for teams to collapse on him.

Reaction Score
Excuses as in everyone has one. Boat is a college professional and on the court you don't think of anything but basketball. Boat looked lethargic, tired, passive, not explosive etc. That's not a knock on him its the truth. Stop taking everything so personally like your Boat's bodyguard and look at things from a neutral perspective, it will be revolutionary.

Lack of chemistry especially with Purvis and a lack of smart players other than Omar and Rakim definitely exacerbates his situation as the lead guard. Boat would much rather play with Omar that's for sure. Ollie's insistence on sticking with the same pass the ball around the perimeter to guys that can't shoot isn't helping Boatright either making it easier for teams to collapse on him.

I'm more and more convinced every time I come here that half the posters are either trolling everyone or just UConn haters. This stuff is pure garbage.

Reaction Score
I think most dedicated professionals maintain their professionalism through a divorce. If that was affecting him during a game, I would be surprised and we would be in deep doo-doo.
I think there just must be time when you run out of things to say.

I wish KO was a little more vocal at times but to suggest a personality transplant from JC is crazy. A Coach has to be their own person. Kids can smell in-authenticity from a mile away. Personally, I appreciate that KO doesn't grab kids by their shirt or ignore them during a time out. But he can't do those things because it is not him.
Or meet a kid at halftime in front of a sparse Saturday crowd and yell at him to "Get the duck OUT" JC was much more emotional and quick to react than KO but I think he would even like to have reversed some of his actions. KO always seems to have a kid's back and consequentially they usually play their hearts out for him. I like KO's style, hopefully he can learn to get into officials more but as far as the manner in which he coaches his kids, I wouldn't change a thing.

Reaction Score
Or meet a kid at halftime in front of a sparse Saturday crowd and yell at him to "Get the duck OUT" JC was much more emotional and quick to react than KO but I think he would even like to have reversed some of his actions. KO always seems to have a kid's back and consequentially they usually play their hearts out for him. I like KO's style, hopefully he can learn to get into officials more but as far as the manner in which he coaches his kids, I wouldn't change a thing.
I meant half court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul