Xavier Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I suspect we will see Xavier 2 more times. Have to get the next 2

Reaction Score
It will be good for the team if Clingan starts getting more minutes.

Sanogo's inability to play defense needs to be addressed before March arrives.

Reaction Score
The foul call on Newton that led to the Hurley technical was egregious. He got the ball clean twice in a row. Love Hurley, but he can't lose his composure there. I'm curious what he did or said. I don't think they showed a replay of Hurley reacting.

Reaction Score
This should be a fun one.

I could fill a novel with my thoughts on this one but I'll try to limit them to 3 -
  1. Sanogo was unstoppable. Whoever Sanogo was guarding was also unstoppable. Hurley needs to immediately figure out pick and roll defense with Sanogo. DC doesn't have this problem (yes I know he's 7'2)
  2. Our roster is meant to wear teams out and we have a super deep bench. Diarra, Clingan, and Alleyne were playing very well while Newton and Karaban were playing very poorly. The adjustments that had to be made were not made
  3. Karaban is getting very tired. He needs to be a situational PF because he gets abused on defense against big or strong 4s. When he's a traffic cone on defense and is being used as a spot up shooter but cant make a shot, he's got no business being out there. I get that this isn't his fault because Samson is injured, but he was a net negative after the first few minutes
Credit to Xavier, they played a great game. 54% shooting and 23-28 from the line. In the last 5-7 minutes I saw some questionable calls. But before that, I thought it was fine. We took 37 threes tonight, 55% of all FGs. Hard to get to the line when you take 37 threes

Reaction Score
I I am not l aiming this loss on that technical.
Not a surprising loss, should have played clingan more.
I am sure that all of us who follow UCONN an come up with what Hurley should have done. I expect Hurley, coaching staff, and team will learn from this loss. Did anyone really expect a no loss perfect season?

Reaction Score
Sean Miller just picked apart Hurleys Defense. They shot 54 percent.

We have no guards who can drive and score like Daniels of Nova or Boum or Jones of X. Newton and Jackson drive and always look to pass not score. X was waiting for the pass.

Reaction Score
That TECH on Hurley deflated UCONN’s ballon a bit but they just could not get it together today. What was that TECH for??
I had A LOT of issues with the refs today but that T was on Hurley and it was stupid. He’s the coach. He’s got to know the situation and keep it together.

At the end of the day, we weren’t going undefeated and this was the most likely loss. On to the next one.

Reaction Score
Yes, the officials were bad, yes Hurley got a T to more or less put the game out of reach... but we were already losing.

And that's because our execution was just not good enough in the last 10 minutes of the game.

08:09 - We're just passing the ball on the perimeter and Newton makes a sloppy hospital pass that's picked off and leads directly to a layup and we go down 4.
05:48 - We got a rebound, pushing the pace. Newton lobs a ball into Sanogo on the move. He makes a nice catch. The D swarms, and he looks for open guys but sees nobody. Ends up just kinda losing the ball in an attempt to do something.
04:21 - Newton drives to the lane, has an opening that gets cut off by help. Instead of finding the guy the help was coming from, he throws a pass to nobody into the 2nd row.
03:54 - We get a steal. Defense leads to offense. Hawkins has the ball attacking the rim. Instead of drawing a foul, gets called for an offensive push-off when attacking multiple guys.

Around these plays, Jackson made a few nice plays. We were still in the game. But this was where our run should have been. This was the last 10 min run, but instead we made some bone-headed plays and that's the difference in close games on the road.

Reaction Score
This should be a fun one.

I could fill a novel with my thoughts on this one but I'll try to limit them to 3 -
  1. Sanogo was unstoppable. Whoever Sanogo was guarding was also unstoppable. Hurley needs to immediately figure out pick and roll defense with Sanogo. DC doesn't have this problem (yes I know he's 7'2)
  2. Our roster is meant to wear teams out and we have a super deep bench. Diarra, Clingan, and Alleyne were playing very well while Newton and Karaban were playing very poorly. The adjustments that had to be made were not made
  3. Karaban is getting very tired. He needs to be a situational PF because he gets abused on defense against big or strong 4s. When he's a traffic cone on defense and is being used as a spot up shooter but cant make a shot, he's got no business being out there. I get that this isn't his fault because Samson is injured, but he was a net negative after the first few minutes
Credit to Xavier, they played a great game. 54% shooting and 23-28 from the line. In the last 5-7 minutes I saw some questionable calls. But before that, I thought it was fine. We took 37 threes tonight, 55% of all FGs. Hard to get to the line when you take 37 threes
Right on with all of this!

Reaction Score
One loss. No big whoop. It's a marathon. Not a sprint. The team is solid. Has a slight hole at PG, but not as much as years past in my opinion.

Glad Xavier is playing well. League was looking suspect. We need their support.

caw

Reaction Score
There were some positives but overall Xavier is a very well coached team who was getting the calls and making every tough shot. It happens, move on to the next game.

Don’t blame Hurley for the T, the refs were not calling it both ways.

The bad though, sloppy turnovers.

Something seemed off with Hawkins, lot less action off the ball than normal.

Newton needs to drive with a plan. Even if he gets his shot stuffed it’s better than his random passes. He gets in the lane fine but he needs to take the shot.

Karaban was playing against a senior version of what he can be, learn from it and move on.

High hedge is a bad plan against a good passing team like Xavier (probably second best passing team I’ve seen this year).

On the plus side, Jackson was great. Alleyne also played well. Sanogo played well. Clingan played well but not enough.

Reaction Score
Its 1 loss, not the end of the world. I'm sure this place will overreact though.
Exactly, 1 loss and the refs hosed us and we still had our chances to win the game. This will light a fire in us

Reaction Score
I’ll take full blame for this game. All of my guys, except for AJ, were terrible: AK, Hawk, Newton, etc. I apologize for my poor effort. I’ll try to do better next time. Happy New Year!

Reaction Score
Just commented on Tristan in another chat. But do we hand diarra the keys? Risk his spark? Will newton be able to provide a lift if our 2nd line which is based on speed and mayhem (sans dc)? Bring alleyne back?
Depending on how Tristan responds, you have to continue riding with him as the starting PG.

When Samson returns, depending on the opponents starters you could shift AJ to the starting PG and Karaban to SF.

Tristan needs to wake up and play with more urgency.

Reaction Score
Hurley has done a fantastic job with this team and it’s reasonable to have some lapses. Also fair to criticize the leader of the team for compromising them down the stretch. Both can be true

Reaction Score
Depending on how Tristan responds, you have to continue riding with him as the starting PG.

When Samson returns, depending on the opponents starters you could shift AJ to the starting PG and Karaban to SF.

Tristan needs to wake up and play with more urgency.
This was a Johnson game. If he is what we expected him to be pre-season, he's the difference maker here. Have to play Sanogo, but you don't necessarily have to play Karaban in a game like this.

Reaction Score
I had A LOT of issues with the refs today but that T was on Hurley and it was stupid. He’s the coach. He’s got to know the situation and keep it together.

At the end of the day, we weren’t going undefeated and this was the most likely loss. On to the next one.
Agree we take the punch, get up and fight smarter as we go along.

Reaction Score
There were some positives but overall Xavier is a very well coached team who was getting the calls and making every tough shot. It happens, move on to the next game.

Don’t blame Hurley for the T, the refs were not calling it both ways.

The bad though, sloppy turnovers.

Something seemed off with Hawkins, lot less action off the ball than normal.

Newton needs to drive with a plan. Even if he gets his shot stuffed it’s better than his random passes. He gets in the lane fine but he needs to take the shot.

Karaban was playing against a senior version of what he can be, learn from it and move on.

High hedge is a bad plan against a good passing team like Xavier (probably second best passing team I’ve seen this year).

On the plus side, Jackson was great. Alleyne also played well. Sanogo played well. Clingan played well but not enough.
I couldn’t agree more, my only beef with Hurley today was the lack of minutes for alleyne Diarra and

Reaction Score
Yes, the officials were bad, yes Hurley got a T to more or less put the game out of reach... but we were already losing.

And that's because our execution was just not good enough in the last 10 minutes of the game.

08:09 - We're just passing the ball on the perimeter and Newton makes a sloppy hospital pass that's picked off and leads directly to a layup and we go down 4.
05:48 - We got a rebound, pushing the pace. Newton lobs a ball into Sanogo on the move. He makes a nice catch. The D swarms, and he looks for open guys but sees nobody. Ends up just kinda losing the ball in an attempt to do something.
04:21 - Newton drives to the lane, has an opening that gets cut off by help. Instead of finding the guy the help was coming from, he throws a pass to nobody into the 2nd row.
03:54 - We get a steal. Defense leads to offense. Hawkins has the ball attacking the rim. Instead of drawing a foul, gets called for an offensive push-off when attacking multiple guys.

Around these plays, Jackson made a few nice plays. We were still in the game. But this was where our run should have been. This was the last 10 min run, but instead we made some bone-headed plays and that's the difference in close games on the road.
Remember earlier in the year when Newton showed a decent ability to drive and score or draw a foul? We need him to remember that. He's become so unselfish that he's always looking to pass off his drives. Other teams know that and it's hurting us.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We lost because Xavier shot 20 more FTs than we did. Whether it’s because the refs or we aren’t very good at driving to the rim is up for debate.

Not a bad first loss to the season. My one worry is, who takes over for us in close games? So far this season everything has been a team effort with going on runs in blowouts to end a game. Can that happen for a whole tournament?

Reaction Score
I’m going to leave the T by Hurley out of it, as it’s been well discussed, but our larger problem this game not being able to find the right rotation of players to overcome what Xavier was being successful at.

One of the drawbacks of having a “deep team” is when you lose, you don’t necessarily go down with your “best” on the floor.

I thing a greater fault from coaching today was not identifying what worked best and doing what they could to stick with it. We also don’t have a “go-to” guy when we need one. Again, side affects of just rolling with a “deep team”.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom