Xavier Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
You aren’t gonna win any games against top 20 competition on the road when ur opponent shoots 3 times as many free throws as you do. This game was an incredibly 1 sided officiated game period. We would have had to play our A game to beat Xavier and the refs.

Reaction Score
Its pretty frustrating when Xavier is literally grabbing and holding guys to stop them from getting a layup with no penalty, while we are penalized for cleanly stripping the ball. I don't blame Danny for the tech there, there was game-changing poor officiating by the refs in the last few minutes and they deserve any abuse hurled at them.

Reaction Score
How far do we drop in the polls?

Everyone behind us won.

We drop to 7 possibly?

Reaction Score
I’m Cincy born & raised (undergrad @ UC; MBA @ Xavier), however also a transplant (i.e. parents weren’t born in Cincy). Been to a lot of “away games”, but man I’ve never been around so many privileged little children in my life. Really I dislike Xavier fans - they’re awful.

Reaction Score
How far do we drop in the polls?

Everyone behind us won.

We drop to 7 possibly?
My guess is 5, lost to a ranked team on the road and still 14-1. Even if every voter drops us 4 spots, by my rough math we'd be around 70 points ahead of Texas for the 5 spot. Obviously some teams may also move up, but we had a pretty big cushion above others at the #2 spot

Reaction Score
A loss was bound to come eventually. As far as games remaining go, this was the best one to lose.

As others have said, I’d like to see Clingan play more.

I also was getting frustrated with Sanogo missing put backs. He missed 4 or 5 and don’t think he successfully had one tip in. It’s just not part of his skill set. I’d much rather him just go up with two hands, secure the rebound, pump fake, and go back up. Either get 2 or draw a foul. That was 8-10 points lost when he won the fight for the ball.

Reaction Score
Here are my two cents. The first ten minutes were theirs and Freemantle was having his way. DH went small went Diarra, Newton, Hawkins, AJ and Sanogo/ Clingan with Alleyne as a sixth man. The rest of the half belonged to us and Freemantle was scoreless the rest of the half with AJ on him. They have one ball handler and we had him in a panic with many turnovers. DH never played this lineup in the second half. We had a 7 point lead with the ball and Hawkins took a rushed 3 rather than look for a good shot. Karaban was totally outplayed, the Big East teams are exposing him, we really need Samson back soon. Karaban is a natural 3, not a 4. We had 4 starters play 33 minutes or more, Our guys are not used to playing that many minutes while theirs's are. I thought depth was our strength. I put this loss on DH, he went back to his old style of coaching, relying on too few players and wearing them out. I don't care how one sided the calls were, no f.....g excuse for a coach getting a T with 2 minutes to go in a 2 point game. And our guys played the last 3 minutes like they had never been in a close game before, not a good sign. A lot of hero ball going on. Down 5 with a minute to go you need to make sure you get a good shot, not throw some crap at the hoop and hope it goes in.
Lastly, everyone is saying Sanogo played terrible defense. It was not entirely him, our rotations on the pick and roll were awful. Joey C, got burnt and Karaban twice. Alex has a tendency to take his eye off the ball.

Reaction Score
Here are my two cents. The first ten minutes were theirs and Freemantle was having his way. DH went small went Diarra, Newton, Hawkins, AJ and Sanogo/ Clingan with Alleyne as a sixth man. The rest of the half belonged to us and Freemantle was scoreless the rest of the half with AJ on him. They have one ball handler and we had him in a panic with many turnovers. DH never played this lineup in the second half. We had a 7 point lead with the ball and Hawkins took a rushed 3 rather than look for a good shot. Karaban was totally outplayed, the Big East teams are exposing him, we really need Samson back soon. Karaban is a natural 3, not a 4. We had 4 starters play 33 minutes or more, Our guys are not used to playing that many minutes while theirs's are. I thought depth was our strength. I put this loss on DH, he went back to his old style of coaching, relying on too few players and wearing them out. I don't care how one sided the calls were, no f.....g excuse for a coach getting a T with 2 minutes to go in a 2 point game. And our guys played the last 3 minutes like they had never been in a close game before, not a good sign. A lot of hero ball going on. Down 5 with a minute to go you need to make sure you get a good shot, not throw some crap at the hoop and hope it goes in.
Lastly, everyone is saying Sanogo played terrible defense. It was not entirely him, our rotations on the pick and roll were awful. Joey C, got burnt and Karaban twice. Alex has a tendency to take his eye off the ball.
Excellent analysis. First close game and Danny reverted to old Danny and we went off the rails.

Not good. Easy to coach when everything is going your way.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here's how I think of it.

I'm fine with losses when shots don't fall, players make mistakes, whatever. I can't reasonably expect a bunch of 20 year olds to be perfect every night.

When I look back at the game and think our coach was the primary problem in the last 10 minutes of the game? Then I'm rightfully upset. He's being paid 3 million a year, and part of that is shutting the hell up when the game is on the line. Or playing your 7-2 star freshman more than 7 minutes in a game where our starting center is playing terrible.
Sanogo was far from terrible, forced a ton of misses and got no help on D. Clingan couldn’t guard their 5s outside and Dan simply won’t ignore them out there, even if he should. That lead to loads of points in the paint from their big, strong wings. We had a huge strength disadvantage today. Xavier also made a ton of shots and we missed a ton. Maybe a game we try Clingan and Sanogo, just to force Xavier to adjust. Miller used the Creighton playbook against us, and it still works.

The refs were absurd in not calling anything on Xavier until it was too late. But if we can’t figure out how to get shots other than Jackson 3s we are going to struggle. He had a great statistical game, but he should never take that many shots. They are goading him into it. Newton, Alleyne and Karaban need to figure out how to attack the rim and draw contact. Newton seems to have amnesia. I gave up on Jackson ever doing it.

Reaction Score
Harping on Jackson’s threes is a bit odd. Prior to the last 90 seconds when we lost composure and started jacking them up, he was 4-9. While 9 is more than I’d like him to take, it’s pretty hard to pin this on him shooting too much.

I think the biggest factors, in order of magnitude, were (1) poor defense on the high ball screen and roll (2) lack of dribble penetration, (3) some bad turnovers, (4) poor personnel rotations (Not going back to what worked in the first half), and (5) really one sided officiating and a dumb T by the coach.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this is the important question of the day

SMH
You simply could have scrolled past….instead offered zero insight yourself and chose to be immature. Way to go….

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Xavier shot 4-13 from three.

Andre shot 4-12 from three.

It looked bad because he was jacking up shots at the end. But he was a respectable .333. Take that all year from him.
Everyone was jacking up shots at the end

Reaction Score
We lost because Xavier shot 20 more FTs than we did. Whether it’s because the refs or we aren’t very good at driving to the rim is up for debate.

Not a bad first loss to the season. My one worry is, who takes over for us in close games? So far this season everything has been a team effort with going on runs in blowouts to end a game. Can that happen for a whole tournament?
We also couldn’t stop the lay up line Xavier was getting….same thing play after play that UConn couldn’t stop…insanity

Reaction Score
We also couldn’t stop the lay up line Xavier was getting….same thing play after play that UConn couldn’t stop…insanity
I think this would have been the game to play Sanogo and Clingan together more. Would have helped against the double screen alley oops and it seemed Freemantle had his way on Karaban, which in Karaban's defense it's an experienced Sr. on a Frosh. Maybe it could have gotten a couple fouls on Nunge or Freemantle inside as well as they wouldn't have been able to just double and deny Sanogo the ball. Who knows though, it's all what if's. Watching Clingan throw Freemantle's shot to one of our players was cathartic to watch though.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Ok I'll start it off by saying tested positive for the Vid at 3:23 left in the first half. Made it this far without getting it! Going undefeated is about as difficult as avoiding Covid
Sit in your back yard.

Get plenty of vitamin D.

Reaction Score
What I saw today was, UConn is the best team in the country(still) but we are beatable. I also saw that Xavier is good, the refs were bad, and DH was bad, but forgiven. We will prove we are the best and I will enjoy the journey.

Reaction Score
Haha - apparently it’s a “rivalry”. Good luck, Xavier. Enjoy your W. Call us when you make a Final 4. Or win as many titles. “Bring it on” - Haha!

C9B47138-A470-43F7-A27D-C4EDF39869C7.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom