Xavier Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
This was a Johnson game. If he is what we expected him to be pre-season, he's the difference maker here. Have to play Sanogo, but you don't necessarily have to play Karaban in a game like this.
Yeah we missed johnson today big time. I thought about that about 5 mins into the game

Reaction Score
We had our chances. Many x
Big time start of 2 Nd half and we gave it back

Reaction Score
Should’ve given it down low to Sanogo more throughout the game; seemed like a high percentage opportunity each time. Not that difficult.

Reaction Score
The game was UConn's to take if played smart and disciplined BB (including DH).

If the regular season goal is to win the BE then need to play much better down the stretch in tough road environment.

Reaction Score
If ever there was a game to play both Sanogo and Clingan, it was this one, and I’m not a big proponent of having them on the floor together.
Yes, it seems pretty clear we're not going to see it utilized this season because this was the game. Free and Nunge got whatever they wanted against Sanogo and Karaban and Clingan just sat there getting splinters. I guess that one driving circus layup Nunge got on Clingan was unacceptable.

Reaction Score
I couldn’t catch the game here in Florida, so I’m trying to figure out from posts here what happened. I’m seeing two opposing claims: we didn’t take it to the rim and settled for 3s too easily, vs. they packed the paint on us, so we had to shoot from outside. So which was it?

And what happened to all our outside shooters? I thought this was the year when we could finally make 3-point shots.

Reaction Score
What game were you watching? Sanogo didn’t have the mobility to play D at the 5 today and you want to slot him in against Freemantle at the 4?

With Sanogo struggling so much defending the ball screen, better to have someone else that can defend the rim.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Wow, I guess times are changing…I did not like the timing of the T because it was still a game. But the flop by Nunge where Hawkins got called for the foul was sooo bad. But we had three times more fouls called against us. That it enough to drive any coach into getting a T.

Reaction Score
If you’re going to lose, this was the game to do so.

With that said, there have been some concerning trends over the past 4-5 games that need to be corrected. The offense seems incredibly rushed right now, to the point where they take the first semi-open shot that comes their way - and that typically means a long 3-pointer. It’s one thing if running the offense results in quality 3-point looks, but that hasn’t really been the case since the Florida game.

And the defense…yikes. This coaching staff needs to realize that Georgetown, Villanova, and now Xavier have been burning them on the same plays and make adjustments accordingly.

All in all, a midseason loss like this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I’ll be curious to see how they come out for their next game.

Reaction Score
The game was UConn's to take if played smart and disciplined BB (including DH).

If the regular season goal is to win the BE then need to play much better down the stretch in tough road environment.
Agreed. And sometimes they don't, especially on the road in a raucous environment. Everybody made some mistakes. But it's 1 game. The game we had the least odds of winning come in of every game remaining. And it was a 1 point game with 2:30 left, and then we missed 7 straight 3 pointers.

Reaction Score
With Sanogo struggling so much defending the ball screen, better to have someone else that can defend the rim.
I’m with you on having Clingan in there more but Sanogo at the four would have led to them running the pick and roll off Freemantle (against Sanogo) with probably even greater effect and handicapping our offense with two bigs and big defenders stationed in the paint.

Freemantle bullied AK down low because that was the advantage. If Sanogo is in there, they’re playing him out on the perimeter because that’s the advantage.

Reaction Score
I agree with the foul disparity, but it was also somewhat of a product of all the threes being shot.

I feel like BE play started we are not getting downhill as much as we need to. I am fine with the open shots, even Jackson’s, but we need to drive more to create fouls.
100% agree. Just looked at the stats. 55% of our shots were beyond the 3 point line. We need to attack the basket more. TN does it but too often gets caught in the air leading to a TO. Has AJAX 's game changed? He is so hesitant to attack the hoop.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Damn.

I'll admit it, I was dreaming of a perfect season. I'm still thrilled with the year and acknowledge losses were probable and if we're going to lose, at least it's to a quality team. I'm still all in on the Kool-Aid folks.

Xavier's crowd was LOUD. They showed out for sure.

I hope folks don't forget Alleyne's 3 to close out the half, it didn't carry us to the end but those are plays that win games. It seems like he's a better clutch player than his uneven play might suggest - and his previous history supports that.

Where were the cuts and slashes tonight? It seemed like there was a lot more standing around than normal from the Huskies, still plenty of passing but it seemed like a lot less movement. I thought Xavier looked more like us at times with their play.

Fouls. Xavier shot TRIPLE the number of free throws we did. What the everloving? Let's not comment on the terrible % made by UConn since it barely mattered, we didn't take enough for it to even matter. I know the #s are inflated by the last few minutes but it was noticeable even at the half. The part that gets me, I saw a ton of fouls that didn't get called on us... and then Hurley drew another of his patented, worthless, Ts.

Did the T cost the game? I don't know but it did nothing positive whatsoever. I love the passion, it's what's gotten us here today but... arg. Head > Desk. I'm still behind Coach Hurley, I just wish he could rein himself that little bit. The refs are tight on him and tight in general this season and, honestly, there just wasn't a reason to draw one here. No benefit and the situation wasn't so dire as to call for a T worthy tantrum. Realistically he isn't going to change and I don't think it was the cause of the complete breakdown of play by the team at the 3m or so mark but a 4pt swing certainly isn't going to help your guys' mindset.

What was going on with the 3s from Andre at the end? Take the extra few seconds, this is clutch time and make smart decisions. I am not sure the rotation was what I'd call for at the end either but I also don't get paid to make those calls. The last 3 minutes was some of the worst play we've seen and is exactly what I think we've all feared could happen under pressure. I think they'll be watching that tape for quite some time and I have faith they will take the hard lesson here. Also some lazy/sloppy passes all; game that need cleaning up, like just bad ones.

I still think we're going to go the season with just a handful of losses at worst, this loss should hurt the team and put some fire under them. Let's have this be the only loss of the season! :) 2022 has been pretty darn good.

On to 2023 y'all!

Reaction Score
Disappointed but not fazed. We are still the best team on a neutral court. X had to play very, very, good, and they did. They also had to play this very good game at home. We need to learn from this and we will get a similar test at Providence. Let's see how we respond.

Reaction Score
Honestly I am worried about Newton. He leaves his feet with no plan way too much. Doesn’t seem like a guy that averaged 17 a game at one point. Hoping he can turn it around.
He is my biggest concern. I thought Diarra should’ve been playing more. Newton can be really good, I have seen it at ECU. But right now he doesn’t know what to do when he gets in the paint. He relies on drawing fouls, but I would like to see him finish to score

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Pretty fitting ad considering we are now one of the worst 35 US colleges after this loss.
Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 2.43.29 PM.png

Reaction Score
We're just too reliant on 3's....great when they go in but in crunch time of a close game need to drive to basket and make or get fouled on some trips, can't just keep putting up 3's.

Reaction Score
Road losses against very good teams with great coaching happen in the big East. Not the end of the world. Bounce back and destroy Providence and be happy we are 14-1 going into 2023 (which everyone on the BY would’ve signed up for in the summer)

Reaction Score
They made plays in the final 3 minutes. Credit to Xavier. A loss or two was inevitable. Much to learn from today. A decent wake up call from a now Top 20 team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom