Xavier Post-game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post-game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I will say that the Xavier blob is the worse mascot in WCBB. Maybe in sports history.
My wife: What the hell is that blue thing?
Me: Mascot for the kids.
Wife: Why?
Me: The Musketeer mascot is too scary for the kids. So they made one for the kids.
Wife: That's stupid. How is a Musketeer scary?
Me: I don't know, just watch the game.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yeah, when I think of Musketeers, that's not the first look that comes to mind.
In last years game they had a person dressed as a Musketeer, wonder what happened to him.

Reaction Score
Not Nika. Never
A lady as dainty as Ms Muhl? CD (Dailey) teaches decorum, lady like basketball, sportsmanship--did anyone take attendance that day? (I like Nika),

Reaction Score
My question is: Who was the winner of the Bad Ass award? I'm looking at Christyn, except she shot the poorest....so maybe Caroline, but she only had a few minutes.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
In last years game they had a person dressed as a Musketeer, wonder what happened to him.

He was assaulted and eaten by the blob.

I want to give kudos to Xavier’s coach. It speaks to her integrity to suspend the two highest scorers on a struggling team. It’s the kind of standard that reminds me of Geno’s approach.

I hope this pays dividends for the team in the years to come.

Reaction Score
I guess Amari is taking after Liv. Early on, Geno said Liv was much better in games than in practice.
She'd better not. ONO had zero post competition for PT early on. There will be a lot of it next year.

Reaction Score
This is the kind of game you want to see, total team effort & balanced scoring. Loved seeing Piath and Amari getting some minutes and they had that High-Low game going to perfection! Proud of Nika, 3/3 and 2/2 with the long ball and zero turnovers in 24 minutes!! Well done, Nika. Just a solid game. With so many options, this is what makes this team so dangerous, when everyone is healthy. We can take advantage of post mismatches. Aaliyah has been on a rampage lately. Loving it! She has just been assertive in the paint. Great game by everyone.

Reaction Score
I felt a bit bad for Amari. Her second 3 attempt was almost all the way down before it spun out. Would have made her 3-3 with 8pts!

Reaction Score
Brilliant use of a game by a coach. Reassembled his car and then tried different setups to see what performed the best. He turned all those different lineups into a roadmap.

Reaction Score
Some highlights for me were
Caroline's Paige like long passes after a good defensive play to Evina for a layup and to Christyn who missed her right hand layup but the passes were great.
Nika's pull up at the foul line
Evina continues to be a turn around player off the bench with steals and great defense and 3 point shots.
Aaliyah working hard and hitting the bunnies
Azzi and Caroline looking more settled with their footwork on their 3 point shots
Christyn for her defense and offensive production
The team for allowing our bench bigs come in and take over the 4th quarter
The coach for great substitution patterns

Reaction Score
My question is: Who was the winner of the Bad Ass award? I'm looking at Christyn, except she shot the poorest....so maybe Caroline, but she only had a few minutes.
Williams was 5/10.

Reaction Score
This is the kind of game you want to see, total team effort & balanced scoring. Loved seeing Piath and Amari getting some minutes and they had that High-Low game going to perfection! Proud of Nika, 3/3 and 2/2 with the long ball and zero turnovers in 24 minutes!! Well done, Nika. Just a solid game. With so many options, this is what makes this team so dangerous, when everyone is healthy. We can take advantage of post mismatches. Aaliyah has been on a rampage lately. Loving it! She has just been assertive in the paint. Great game by everyone.
Piath is very effective setting herself up for a pass. She might work on a stronger finish along with Dorka, i.e. finish with a foul. We have great depth. We also have three bigs or four smalls and any combination in between. A coaches dream. One minor concern is playing against a packed zone which would need Dorka or another big to float outside and hit some threes.
The zone we played showed another defensive side of our game. It also resulted in better defensive rebounding which was missing during the opening minutes. I would like to see our bigs work the heavy ball to improve their hand strength and eye hand coordination.

Overall, an entertaining game with lots of player combinations. Even the team seemed to enjoy the romp, see what they had worked on in practice that was actually effective during game time. Good for them! They were all ears listening to Geno during huddles. He has their complete attention and see their roles going forward. This game was perfect timing approaching March.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Piath is very effective setting herself up for a pass. She might work on a stronger finish along with Dorka, i.e. finish with a foul. We have great depth. We also have three bigs or four smalls and any combination in between. A coaches dream. One minor concern is playing against a packed zone which would need Dorka or another big to float outside and hit some threes.
The zone we played showed another defensive side of our game. It also resulted in better defensive rebounding which was missing during the opening minutes. I would like to see our bigs work the heavy ball to improve their hand strength and eye hand coordination.

Overall, an entertaining game with lots of player combinations. Even the team seemed to enjoy the romp, see what they had worked on in practice that was actually effective during game time. Good for them! They were all ears listening to Geno during huddles. He has their complete attention and see their roles going forward. This game was perfect timing approaching March.
One thing I noticed last night was that Aaliyah was catching entry passes in the low post and immediately turning to put up the shot. One of her problems has been that she takes too much time deciding what to do with the ball, sometimes getting tangled up with her footwork, getting double-teamed and having nowhere to go.

I suspect that Jamelle has been spending a good deal of time with Aaliyah on doing the work before the ball comes in and then catching the ball and quickly turning to shoot.

Reaction Score
The four things I took from this game are as follows:

1. At the 6:06 mark of the 2nd quarter, Christyn Williams had our 8th turnover of the game. For the next 25:54, we committed 5 total turnovers. When were "going through hell," that game would've ended as a 12-15 point win in a grind it out slug fest and we would've finished with 21 turnovers......against this same Xavier team.

2. Alliyah......maybe has turned the corner.

3. Just having Azzi on the floor makes the rest of the team better shooters. I haven't read this entire thread, but has anyone figured out what our 3 point FG% is in games with her vs. without her?

4. Not if, but when it clicks for Amari, we have something special in the high post.

Reaction Score
Although I enjoyed so much of what happened, I think I'm going to chill the accolades for a bit. It was a great practice game for a team trying to integrate a lot of moving parts. We played a poor team in disarray after losing their 2 top scorers.
Xavier was the perfect team to play at the perfect time. Giving the many new line ups time to jell and providing Paith and DeBerry 7-8 minutes of playing time summarized my wishes for this game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It would have been easy, reasonable for Caroline to have been a bit hesitant;
new combinations of players, the emergence of Azzi, a bit of uncertainty about her role...

Nah, this kid is something, didn't miss a beat; an absolute winner.
Maybe she surprises Geno, the fans and the esteemed membership
of this board....

But you, know...she knew it, tried to tell us all summer with that talk of a chip.

It will be a delight watching her for four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom