Xavier Johnson | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Xavier Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Over on the Pitt board, they think Xavier Johnson is a done deal. They also snatched away 4 star Trey McGowens from PC.

Reaction Score
He won a national championship because we had by far the best roster in the country. No knock on Taliek but at times he was the weak link on that squad.

Without Taliek no championship. He was the quarterback/maestro of the team. He wasn't flashy but made sure the offense got ran, controlled tempo, got the ball to people where they needed it and going from memory didn't turnover the ball a lot.

One of the most underrated players in UConn history because he came in so highly touted, along with omar cook and Andre Barrett, and never reached the lofty expectations

Reaction Score
He was better defensively than any other than Ricky Moore (who didn't really play the 1 in our offense). On offense, Taliek as a senior was probably less effective offensively than any of our other multi-year starters in their last year from Sheffer on (other, probably, than Tate George). Where you rate him as a 4 year starter depends entirely on how you balance offense versus defense. As big as the gap was offensively between, say, Marcus and Taliek, or KEA and Taliek, in each case the gap between them defensively was every bit as large. Marcus especially was really a poor defensive player. I have for years been convinced that point guard defense is the most underrated part of winning.

I'll tell you this -- we would not have been a better team in '04 by subbing in Marcus or KEA for Taliek because we needed the perimeter defense, and a PG who didn't need to be taking shots, more than that team with the firepower it had needed additional scoring.

OK I can plead the 5th (nah) or just say we would have scored so many points in '04 with Marcus at the PG we wouldn't have cared if he defended like a chair or not. Having said that for that team they had so much offense form the perimeter to the interior he didn't need to be anything other than a very good defender which is what he was, as well as the toughest guy on the court most of the time. But if you weren't watching closely the most amazing player on that team was Ben Gordon by far because the defense consistently sloughed off Taliek to be sure they were doubling Ben at any given opportunity and when he was hot it didn't matter, he was unconscious.

Everyone has a legit argument but only one is definite because they won a NC with him at the point, so that's the winner.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I never trashed him but wouldn't want him back. He was okay but his game is incredibly outdated, need some sort of a jumper as a point guard today.

I wish we had him the last two years.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Over on the Pitt board, they think Xavier Johnson is a done deal. They also snatched away 4 star Trey McGowens from PC.

Rumors have it XJ will announce Pitt at 3pm today.

Not sure what that means vis a vis Kenya being a "father figure".

Pitt also thinks they're favorites for Aundre Hyatt (White Plains kid we didn't offer).

Reaction Score
I'm confused, I thought we were all out of scholarships?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I am fine with XJ going to Pitt. BA is the better prospect.

Reaction Score
I am relativly new to the boneyard. Would some one be so kind as to give me a brief explanation of what a bump means?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Way to get the topic back to top of board while adding no value whatsoever
Way to elicit comments like this when topic goes back to the top of the cue but offers no new information and another poster finds that without value.

PS - Bumps generally occur when someone wants to keep a thread alive and is looking for additional input. Currently, there's a rash of OT posts and an almost overwhelming number of 2019 Recruiting names.

For those who are more present focused and interested in basketball, it looks like a 'slow news day' when you open up the site.

Given that what seemed to be zero scholarships available shifted somewhat when Vital declared, there is curiosity about whether there's someone additional for 2018 (or otherwise), as @Hoophound has claimed. Vital remains an unknown for another few weeks, and people have expressed interest in others from last year's roster who haven't been mentioned in news articles or interviews. Short version: is the 2018 roster still in play?

And finally, Johnson was a P5 recruit who decommitted from a school that has yielded a new UConn assistant coach who was called a "father figure." That's reason enough for XJ to be the object of continued/renewed interest.

The problem is that a Bump can feel like a tease, giving - by its new prominent position on the page - the impression that there's news, here including the possibility that Johnson has committed to Pitt or is being pursued by UConn. When there's nothing substantive, it can be a disappointment and called out for being a waste of time.

Here, I've written way too much and added to the 'disappointmen' for those so inclined. But I've also given @Mokum a contextual answer to his question. That I'd take the time to do so reinforces the notion that there wasn't any breaking news when I got here.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Inadvertently, this discussion of a "bump" has created a bump for this thread.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Inadvertently, this discussion of a "bump" has created a bump for this thread.
I was thinking ironically.
Others no doubt think annoyingly or worthlessly.
Maybe it pushes Johnson towad making a decision.
We're put in the work.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Way to elicit comments like this when topic goes back to the top of the cue but offers no new information and another poster finds that without value.

PS - Bumps generally occur when someone wants to keep a thread alive and is looking for additional input. Currently, there's a rash of OT posts and an almost overwhelming number of 2019 Recruiting names.

For those who are more present focused and interested in basketball, it looks like a 'slow news day' when you open up the site.

Given that what seemed to be zero scholarships available shifted somewhat when Vital declared, there is curiosity about whether there's someone additional for 2018 (or otherwise), as @Hoophound has claimed. Vital remains an unknown for another few weeks, and people have expressed interest in others from last year's roster who haven't been mentioned in news articles or interviews. Short version: is the 2018 roster still in play?

And finally, Johnson was a P5 recruit who decommitted from a school that has yielded a new UConn assistant coach who was called a "father figure." That's reason enough for XJ to be the object of continued/renewed interest.

The problem is that a Bump can feel like a tease, giving - by its new prominent position on the page - the impression that there's news, here including the possibility that Johnson has committed to Pitt or is being pursued by UConn. When there's nothing substantive, it can be a disappointment and called out for being a waste of time.

Here, I've written way too much and added to the 'disappointmen' for those so inclined. But I've also given @Mokum a contextual answer to his question. That I'd take the time to do so reinforces the notion that there wasn't any breaking news when I got here.
Superb write up even if it doesn’t contribute to anything new. It details bumps and Johnsons all at once.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Superb write up even if it doesn’t contribute to anything new. It details bumps and Johnsons all at once.

s-l300.jpg

But it didn't explain Bumpy Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member