Wrong team for KLS? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wrong team for KLS?

Reaction Score
Fellow rookie Alanna Smith is averaging 7.5 min/game for the Merc. Last year Maria Gulich averaged 5.0 mpg as a rookie for Phoenix before being traded. It appears that is not the franchise to go to if you want a chance to develop as a young post player.
I watched the Mystics vs Mercury game the other day. And another of the Mercury's game that Turner played a lot in. Turner's playing time was based on how athletic her match up is at the 4. EDD burned Smith a few times, and then she burned Turner a whole lot more in the second half. But Turner is better on the perimeter defending. She was far more effective at staying in front of EDD compared to the other options, but no one was going to stop her that night.

I think the Mercury are going to burn out during the playoffs. They play Bonner and Griner way too much.

Reaction Score
With two starters out, the three not dropping, and Lou not playing much, I’d say ask to be traded.

Reaction Score
I watched the Mystics vs Mercury game the other day. And another of the Mercury's game that Turner played a lot in. Turner's playing time was based on how athletic her match up is at the 4. EDD burned Smith a few times, and then she burned Turner a whole lot more in the second half. But Turner is better on the perimeter defending. She was far more effective at staying in front of EDD compared to the other options, but no one was going to stop her that night.

I think the Mercury are going to burn out during the playoffs. They play Bonner and Griner way too much.

Have to disagree. Turner is playing because of injuries.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Of course Napheesa is in a much better situation - injuries, Maya disappearing for the year, she walked into a starting role and has made the most of it.

Lou on the other hand - injured herself, not playing well, on a team that really doesn't need her - she's got a long way to go.

Reaction Score
Of course Napheesa is in a much better situation - injuries, Maya disappearing for the year, she walked into a starting role and has made the most of it.

Lou on the other hand - injured herself, not playing well, on a team that really doesn't need her - she's got a long way to go.
Lou hasn’t been on the court enough minutes to judge her play. What I did notice was she was open for the three 2-3 times and was ignored whereas Quigley would have gotten the ball, the Quigley who missed 7 out of 10 shots.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Lou hasn’t been on the court enough minutes to judge her play. What I did notice was she was open for the three 2-3 times and was ignored whereas Quigley would have gotten the ball, the Quigley who missed 7 out of 10 shots.

Quigley was a respectable 8-17 overall and is shooting 46% from 3 for the season.

Having a go at Quigley for her 3 point percentage in a given game is absurd.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Nothing about this feels right. Thinking of her as a four, that makes no sense to me. Drafting her fourth overall and barely playing her at all.

Better days ahead, but probably not there.

Reaction Score
Quigley was a respectable 8-17 overall and is shooting 46% from 3 for the season.

Having a go at Quigley for her 3 point percentage in a given game is absurd.
This onviously wasn't a dig at Quigley, a great three point shooter, just an observation that in this one game the Sky three point shooters were having a bad night, 2 for 14 in first half or 1 for 13 of you leave out Lou, and given how cold they were, putting Lou in more might--might-- have helped. How many threes might Lou hit if given 10 chances? She took one shot.Steph passed up too many threes and Diamond...well, that isn't her main skill.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Gabby played power forward last year. She's the backup point guard this year. Who else has ever played that combination of positions?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Have to disagree. Turner is playing because of injuries.

Most specifically, she's probably getting most of this time because Sancho Lyttle, who had started all 18 games, went down with an ACL injury in early July and will miss the rest of the season. She ranked fourth on the team in scoring (7.9), third in rebounding (5.3) and was shooting 54 percent from the field.

Up to then, Mercury Coach Sandy Brondello had said Turner was a "5," which made me wonder why Brondello traded for Turner if she was going to sit most of the time.

However, necessity is the mother of PT and Bri, who is indeed a good athlete, seems to be helping the cause, notably on the rebounding angle. She'll continue to get better on all defensive fronts (but EDD is a challenge for anyone) and will get most of her offense on put-backs and running the floor.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I agree it's been a combo of factors that has limited KLS this year, but assuming she was healthy from the beginning, what team do you think in the league could be using her services right now? It does seem as if Mabrey has occasionally found some success in LA (though her overall shooting numbers are pretty bad), so could see KLS sliding into that spot. Same thing for Cunningham and Phoenix and Cazorla in Atlanta, but it's tough out there for a rookie in the WNBA. Only two rookies this year are averaging more than 10ppg (Arike and Napheesa), and only 13 are averaging more than 10 min per game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Gabby played power forward last year. She's the backup point guard this year. Who else has ever played that combination of positions?

Those experiences will serve her well in the coming years.

Reaction Score
Most specifically, she's probably getting most of this time because Sancho Lyttle, who had started all 18 games, went down with an ACL injury in early July and will miss the rest of the season. She ranked fourth on the team in scoring (7.9), third in rebounding (5.3) and was shooting 54 percent from the field.

Up to then, Mercury Coach Sandy Brondello had said Turner was a "5," which made me wonder why Brondello traded for Turner if she was going to sit most of the time.

However, necessity is the mother of PT and Bri, who is indeed a good athlete, seems to be helping the cause, notably on the rebounding angle. She'll continue to get better on all defensive fronts (but EDD is a challenge for anyone) and will get most of her offense on put-backs and running the floor.
I think Turner and Griner can play off of each other very well. Griner through a pretty lob pass to her the other night. I just wish Turner had a short to mid range jumper that she's confident with. She kind of had one earlier in her career, but she didn't really develop over her ND career. Injuries....

I hope her and Samuelson can both develop as pros and remain healthy. I didn't realize that the Sky are 5th in there standings. I'm afraid KLS might not see much playing time for the rest of the season, unless more Sky players are injured. Being in the top 4 is a huge advantage in the playoffs. Chicago definitely wants one of those spots

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

It appears that Lou has not gained the trust of her teammates yet.

Reaction Score
I'm at a lost concerning what seems like an incitement to discourse about an injustice regarding KLS. Chicago has improved a lot from the past couple of years. Deshield has found form and others have too. What exactly would KLS contribute? They have people who can shoot threes-- even Dolson. Some of said she would have been better off w/ the Sparks! (I'm not going to count the number of players sitting there that are far better-) I seriously doubt that KLS is complaining. The latter speaks more to posters here. Also, if I read correctly Gabby was given pg duties because of injuries(?) Well, that could be pt.2 of the KLS saga-- why Gabby and not KLS-

Few players are able to come in the WNBA hitting the ground running. Nor is it the place to develop. Europe, China, etc are the places for working on your game. The majority know this. As this is a Uconn board I will mention former players. Nurse went to Australia, rather than Europe or Russia, to play on a team where she had ample playing time- And Gabby too. Enough. I' still perplexed about this thread and what meaning it could have for the player and team.

Let me be clear. I do not mean to criticize, individually, this or that person, only to ask that reason be put back into the whole. I like ice cream but, I have never sat an ate a whole qrt of it, only a small cup with a second helping.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This onviously wasn't a dig at Quigley, a great three point shooter, just an observation that in this one game the Sky three point shooters were having a bad night, 2 for 14 in first half or 1 for 13 of you leave out Lou, and given how cold they were, putting Lou in more might--might-- have helped. How many threes might Lou hit if given 10 chances? She took one shot.Steph passed up too many threes and Diamond...well, that isn't her main skill.

That makes sense. Apologies if I misunderstood. I see what you mean about Lou being a useful asset when the Sky are struggling from 3.

In reference to Quigley, specifically, it's Allie's job to shoot from deep if she has an opening. Anyone else, I'm all about passing up a good shot to get a great one.

I didn't have the chance to watch yesterday's game but I did see the clip of Lou's 3 and that deep stroke looked as pretty as ever.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I'm at a lost concerning what seems like an incitement to discourse about an injustice regarding KLS. Chicago has improved a lot from the past couple of years. Deshield has found form and others have too. What exactly would KLS contribute? They have people who can shoot threes-- even Dolson. Some of said she would have been better off w/ the Sparks! (I'm not going to count the number of players sitting there that are far better-)

Is this a case of drafting the perceived best player available and not the player with the most needed skill set?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom