WR/TE/QB Jasen Rose (Southington HS CT) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WR/TE/QB Jasen Rose (Southington HS CT)

Reaction Score
Hey guys, I thought this thread was for discussions about the recruitment of Jay Rose, not about which conference is the strongest or who has the best team in the state this year. That discussion belongs elsewhere. Believe me, there are plenty of those conversations going around on GameTimeCT and other sites. I think we all can agree that UConn needs a QB. Jay Rose is arguably the best QB in CT, and he's only a junior. His numbers are excellent, and they aren't against "cupcakes". Glastonbury, NB, and Hall may not be top 5 or 10 in the state, but they're pretty good teams that were made to look horrible by Rose & Co. This kid threw for approx. 3200 yds, missed the single season TD record by 3, has a 71% completion pct. and a 129 QBR. He had 9 interceptions the entire year- 3 in his first game of his varsity QB career. Watch him make his throws. He has touch and arm strength. He can make all of the throws. He looks defenders off, checks down his receivers. He just does things that you rarely see out of high school QB's, at least in this state. I'm not saying he's the next coming of Peyton Manning, but this kid can play QB at the next level. And he's getting looks now from D1 schools as a QB, not only TE. That was only going to take time because this is his first season as a varsity QB. I don't know who else UConn is recruiting at QB, but they may be missing the boat on this one.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Hey guys, I thought this thread was for discussions about the recruitment of Jay Rose, not about which conference is the strongest or who has the best team in the state this year. That discussion belongs elsewhere. Believe me, there are plenty of those conversations going around on GameTimeCT and other sites. I think we all can agree that UConn needs a QB. Jay Rose is arguably the best QB in CT, and he's only a junior. His numbers are excellent, and they aren't against "cupcakes". Glastonbury, NB, and Hall may not be top 5 or 10 in the state, but they're pretty good teams that were made to look horrible by Rose & Co. This kid threw for approx. 3200 yds, missed the single season TD record by 3, has a 71% completion pct. and a 129 QBR. He had 9 interceptions the entire year- 3 in his first game of his varsity QB career. Watch him make his throws. He has touch and arm strength. He can make all of the throws. He looks defenders off, checks down his receivers. He just does things that you rarely see out of high school QB's, at least in this state. I'm not saying he's the next coming of Peyton Manning, but this kid can play QB at the next level. And he's getting looks now from D1 schools as a QB, not only TE. That was only going to take time because this is his first season as a varsity QB. I don't know who else UConn is recruiting at QB, but they may be missing the boat on this one.

No disrespect but we were told we were missing the boat when Boyle committed to BC as a 3* recruit and a Florida offer.

I have NOT seen Jay play to be honest but if he can make all the throws, looks defenders off, checks down his receivers, has touch and arm strength and does things rarely seen out of a HS QB what is your analogy of why he is NOT rated as a recruit on the services sites and is shown as a TE-Y as opposed as a QB recruit? That makes no sense to me if he shows the intangibles you speak of.

He does show an offer from BC and UConn, so good for him.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/198289/jasen-rose

I would assume he will be the QB at Southington next year as well and maybe his position will change on the recruiting services and hope he is our next DO!

Reaction Score
Very valid point/concern Bonehead, especially in light of what we have seen from Boyle so far. I'll try to hit your points.

I think we've all seen a bunch of HS football and I just can't help noticing all of these HS QB's just staring down one receiver and throwing to him, only to have it picked off by a defender who was watching the QB's eyes. Or a kid who just can't get the ball to his receiver unless he's WIDE open. Or who can't hit the long ball. This kid has presence. He doesn't get nervous in the pocket. He's not afraid to take a hit. And he's accurate. Yes, we've heard the same about Boyle. And I'm certainly not a college football coach. But I just see something different out of him than what you normally see from CT QB's. I don't know, maybe it's just hope on my part.

The services show him as a TE, because that's what he played last year on varsity as a sophomore. He's always been a QB and he played QB on Southington's JV team. But last year he was playing behind Stephen Barmore, who went off to play at Yale. Rose was Barmore's TE and he's pretty good there, too. Good enough to get D1 offers after just one season at TE. This is Rose's first season as a HS varsity QB and look at what he's done. He's arguably the best QB in the state right now. I think you'll be seeing a change in position on the recruiting services.

Yes, he does have offers from BC and UConn. He also has one from West Virginia. All for TE. I also know of three other schools that are recruiting him, one for QB, one for QB/TE and not sure if the third is looking for QB or TE. All three are D1 schools, two from the P5 conferences. I'm happy and hate to say that I think there will be much more interest and more offers coming after his performance this season. Happy for the kid, but hate it cuz I'd love to see him play at UConn. Remember, he's just a junior. He's got another season to go.

Reaction Score
. Yes, he does have offers from BC and UConn. He also has one from West Virginia. All for TE. I also know of three other schools that are recruiting him, one for QB, one for QB/TE and not sure if the third is looking for QB or TE. All three are D1 schools, two from the P5 conferences. I'm happy and hate to say that I think there will be much more interest and more offers coming after his performance this season. Happy for the kid, but hate it cuz I'd love to see him play at UConn. Remember, he's just a junior. He's got another season to go.

Blue - Just trying to put your comments in context - I'm curious... family/family friend/coach?

As you point out - conversations and position of interest can change a lot in a year. I'm just happy UConn knows where he is...

Reaction Score
Blue - Just trying to put your comments in context - I'm curious... family/family friend/coach?

As you point out - conversations and position of interest can change a lot in a year. I'm just happy UConn knows where he is...

Family friend. And yes, I am somewhat biased towards this kid...sort of. I'm not a football coach, but I have watched a lot of HS football (I know, sounds like the Holiday Inn Express commercial, lol). But it doesn't take an NFL or college coach to see some things that he shows on the field, when comparing him to other CT QB's we've seen this year. Yes, this is CT, not FL or TX.

I'm excited for the family and, yet, trying to keep things in perspective. But I really think he can play QB at the next level. I've been a season ticket holder for many years as have many of you. I'd love to see him play at Rentschler. But the UConn staff knows evaluating football players MUCH better than I do.

Reaction Score
I see him as a tight end at next level. Athletic kid.

huskysupporter- I see him as a QB, but certainly couldn't argue against your opinion. He is an athletic kid and if he plays TE at the next level, I think he'll be successful there as well. Either way, I think he would help UConn anyway.

Reaction Score
I see him as a tight end at next level. Athletic kid.

huskysupporter- I see him as a QB, but certainly couldn't argue against your opinion. He is an athletic kid and if he plays TE at the next level, I think he'll be successful there as well. Either way, I think he would help UConn anyway.

How about we compromise and call him a triple threat TE

Reaction Score
I'm good with that. I'm not arguing. TE or QB, I think he'd be a pretty good fit. Now, whether they get him may be another story. Regardless of who they get at QB, I think we'll all agree they need one and the future at that position isn't on the roster right now.

Reaction Score
Blue215 said:

I hope he chooses UCONN. There is a huge need at tight end.

Reaction Score
Rose is the best CT quarterback I've seen since Cochran. I think he could play QB at the D1 level. Much like Cochran, the kid just has "it." If he can grow on what he did this year he'll be playing QB at the next level. Luckily he has a good coaching staff around him that can help him continue to develop.

Reaction Score
First, these are LL schools, so please do not use injuries as an excuse when a team loses. Second, it is much more difficult to beat a team that you face yearly, then a team you may see in the playoffs. League opponents are much more familiar with what you do, then an OOL opponent. Glastonbury also gave Southington all they could handle in week 1 this year, then got spanked in the playoffs. Look, I have followed CTHSFB very closely for the last 20+ years, Southington deserves their #1 ranking. They got better as the season went on and they are better on both sides of the ball then they were last year. I wasn't overly impressed with either NC or Darien this year. Defensively, they are both very good, but at times their offenses sputtered. Southington was legit.

kris you are so biased it just makes me laugh. New Canaan, Darien, and St Joes all would have beaten Southington. Would they have been close games? Yeah maybe, as Southington has a couple of really talented players, BUT THEY PLAYED NO ONE. Southington is not ranked #1 in the Calpreps Poll for a reason, they are ranked #3 behind New Canaan and Darien. CalPreps factors in SOS and League strength and OOC play during the season, while the New Haven Reg poll does not. Name just one of Southington's opponents this past season who put anyone on the just named ALL STATE First Team? You can't because there aren't any. St Joe's, an M school, on the other hand played four teams who put players on the All State first team, New Canaan played two and Darien played two. St Joes then proceeded to blow out previously undefeated Ledyard from the ECC in the M final, and guess what? St Joe's only two losses were to ....yes you guessed it, New Canaan and Darien.

Zach Allen, Mark Evanchick (who is on course to break Dwight Freeney's all time sack record next season), Lars Pedersen, Abdul-Basir, Palazzolo, LaPolice all played against each other and are all going to or are being recruited by division one schools. Allen has already committed to Northwestern and Palazzolo committed to BC.

I like Rose and hope UCONN gets him, but I have my doubts as I did with Tim Boyle. Boyle BTW played TE at Xavier as a soph and sometimes as a junior.

OFFENSE
  • Jasen Rose, Southington (QB)
  • Mark Piccirillo, Shelton (QB)
  • JoJo Shumaker, Ledyard (RB/DB)
  • Bennie Fulse III, Windsor (RB/DB)
  • Mufasha Abdul Basir, St. Joseph (RB/DB)
  • Alex LaPolice. New Canaan (WR/DB)
  • Alex Jamele, Southington (WR/DB)
  • Julian Dunn-Newtown (WR/DB)
  • Dario Highsmith, Middletown (QB/RB/DB)
  • Anthony Palazzolo, Fairfield Prep (OL/DL)
  • Tanner Kern, Xavier (OL)
  • Keith Coleman, Hartford Public (OL)
  • Lucas Niang, New Canaan (OL)
DEFENSE
  • Mark Evanchick, Darien (DL)
  • Kevaughn Bennett, Windsor (DL)
  • Zach Allen, New Canaan (DL)
  • Owen Tyler, Northwest Catholic (LB)
  • Isaiah Tompkins, Middletown (LB)
  • Ben Mason, Newtown (LB)
  • Tyler Bailey, Ansonia (DB)
  • Lars Pedersen, St. Joseph (DB)
  • Tyler Coyle, Windsor (WR/DB)
  • Matt Maxwell, Southington (WR/DB)
  • Jarvis Miller, Windsor Locks/Suffield/East Granby (RB/DB)
  • Wadson Petithomme, Shelton (DB)
  • Chris Jean-Pierre, Valley Regional/Old Lyme (QB/DB)

Reaction Score
I was really hoping to stay out of this part of the conversation and see if we could get back onto the thread topic, but since that's not happening, I'll throw my two cents in.

Huskyrob1, sounds like you're an FCIAC guy and I'm a Southington guy, so we're both going to have some bias towards our teams. I think there's no way St. Joe's stays with Southington. Southington vs either Darien or NC would be a great game and I'd love to see either one, although I think Southington comes out on top (yes, a little bias).

In response to your post, I think we need to be fair to all involved and understand that for the most part, non of these kids are going head to head against each other. You named 3 offensive and 3 defensive players. When they would be going head to head against another 1st team all state player, it's only one other player and nothing more.

If you want to look at each team, Southington has 3 1st Team All State players. Only Windsor and New Canaan match that. St. Joe's has 2 and Darien has 1. One player doesn't make a team, so the argument that Darien, NC and St. Joe's would win just because they've played other teams with an All State player just isn't valid. I haven't looked, but a better barometer of the TEAMS might be to also look at how many other players on each team have received All State or All Class awards in total.

Darien, NC, and St. Joe's each have a very good, 1st team All State player, but one player can't beat a whole offense. Rose is throwing to two 1st Team All State players (although Maxwell is listed on the defensive side, in fairness to all). That's three All State players on the same side of the ball. And they have two very good RB's. I think that would be tough for any defense to handle. In my opinion, that's what would put Southington over the top against Darien or NC- just my opinion and it very well may not be right. As for St. Joe's, Southington has played against at least two other "top" CT running backs. And none has gained over 100 yards against them. I don't think Basir would be the first if they played.

Please don't interpret this as an attack on any of these players you have listed, or their teams. All are excellent players and I wish all of them success at the next level, as it would give CT HS football more respect if they were. I also wish the CIAC would do something to narrow down the state champions- to like 2, so we would have a better outlook on who the best team(s) might be.

As for your comment on Rose- it's a very valid point and, unfortunately, the only way to know for sure how good he is or may be will be in 2-5 years time when his college career is over. I hope UConn gets him as well.

Reaction Score
Huskyrob1, you know Kris is an Ansonia fan right? And as someone who played football for Shelton, I think people are arguing the wrong point. The main point is the Valley plays the best football. Period. The FCIAC is more overrated than the Walking Dead.

Back to the thread topic. UCONN needs Jasen Rose, and I hope he chooses to become a Husky.

Reaction Score
I was really hoping to stay out of this part of the conversation and see if we could get back onto the thread topic, but since that's not happening, I'll throw my two cents in.

Huskyrob1, sounds like you're an FCIAC guy and I'm a Southington guy, so we're both going to have some bias towards our teams. I think there's no way St. Joe's stays with Southington. Southington vs either Darien or NC would be a great game and I'd love to see either one, although I think Southington comes out on top (yes, a little bias).

In response to your post, I think we need to be fair to all involved and understand that for the most part, non of these kids are going head to head against each other. You named 3 offensive and 3 defensive players. When they would be going head to head against another 1st team all state player, it's only one other player and nothing more.

If you want to look at each team, Southington has 3 1st Team All State players. Only Windsor and New Canaan match that. St. Joe's has 2 and Darien has 1. One player doesn't make a team, so the argument that Darien, NC and St. Joe's would win just because they've played other teams with an All State player just isn't valid. I haven't looked, but a better barometer of the TEAMS might be to also look at how many other players on each team have received All State or All Class awards in total.

Darien, NC, and St. Joe's each have a very good, 1st team All State player, but one player can't beat a whole offense. Rose is throwing to two 1st Team All State players (although Maxwell is listed on the defensive side, in fairness to all). That's three All State players on the same side of the ball. And they have two very good RB's. I think that would be tough for any defense to handle. In my opinion, that's what would put Southington over the top against Darien or NC- just my opinion and it very well may not be right. As for St. Joe's, Southington has played against at least two other "top" CT running backs. And none has gained over 100 yards against them. I don't think Basir would be the first if they played.

Please don't interpret this as an attack on any of these players you have listed, or their teams. All are excellent players and I wish all of them success at the next level, as it would give CT HS football more respect if they were. I also wish the CIAC would do something to narrow down the state champions- to like 2, so we would have a better outlook on who the best team(s) might be.

As for your comment on Rose- it's a very valid point and, unfortunately, the only way to know for sure how good he is or may be will be in 2-5 years time when his college career is over. I hope UConn gets him as well.

I hear you blue, but I stand by my statement. I think all three (NC, Darien, St Joes) would beat Southington or Windsor, though I do think Southington would beat Windsor had they played. St Joe's gets no respect, even from you, their only two losses were to NC and Darien. They played the toughest schedule in the state this past season. Ledyard had a very, very powerful team this past season, had one player make 1st team all-state (Jo-Jo Schumaker) and 3 others make the M class all-state team, and they destroyed RHAM during the season 48-8 (score was 48-0 at the half) while Windsor beat RHAM 48-0 (score 38-0 at the half) and Wethersfield beat RHAM 30-0. Ledyard however drew St Joe's in the M class final and were blown out 37-7, so I think your statement about St Joes not being able to hang with Southington is shortsighted and yes, biased. The FCIAC was the toughest league in the state the past two years, with the FCIAC soundly winning the SCC/FCIAC challenge both years. Southington would give St Joes everything it could handle but I think St Joes would have come out on top. As to NC or Darien playing Southington, all I can say is Zach Allen, Mark Evanchick, and George Reed would have been chasing Rose all over the field. And it's a shame we didn't see that because it would have been a good indication of how he handles pressure, something we really don't know because of Southington's easy schedule. Is he a D1 prospect? Absolutely, but so was Tim Boyle, and Boyle actually faced more pressure playing in the SCC than Rose ever did. I've seen Rose on film and think he's a tight end at the next level, maybe a very good one.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
kris you are so biased it just makes me laugh. New Canaan, Darien, and St Joes all would have beaten Southington. Would they have been close games? Yeah maybe, as Southington has a couple of really talented players, BUT THEY PLAYED NO ONE. Southington is not ranked #1 in the Calpreps Poll for a reason, they are ranked #3 behind New Canaan and Darien. CalPreps factors in SOS and League strength and OOC play during the season, while the New Haven Reg poll does not. Name just one of Southington's opponents this past season who put anyone on the just named ALL STATE First Team? You can't because there aren't any. St Joe's, an M school, on the other hand played four teams who put players on the All State first team, New Canaan played two and Darien played two. St Joes then proceeded to blow out previously undefeated Ledyard from the ECC in the M final, and guess what? St Joe's only two losses were to ....yes you guessed it, New Canaan and Darien.

Zach Allen, Mark Evanchick (who is on course to break Dwight Freeney's all time sack record next season), Lars Pedersen, Abdul-Basir, Palazzolo, LaPolice all played against each other and are all going to or are being recruited by division one schools. Allen has already committed to Northwestern and Palazzolo committed to BC.

I like Rose and hope UCONN gets him, but I have my doubts as I did with Tim Boyle. Boyle BTW played TE at Xavier as a soph and sometimes as a junior.

OFFENSE
  • Jasen Rose, Southington (QB)
  • Mark Piccirillo, Shelton (QB)
  • JoJo Shumaker, Ledyard (RB/DB)
  • Bennie Fulse III, Windsor (RB/DB)
  • Mufasha Abdul Basir, St. Joseph (RB/DB)
  • Alex LaPolice. New Canaan (WR/DB)
  • Alex Jamele, Southington (WR/DB)
  • Julian Dunn-Newtown (WR/DB)
  • Dario Highsmith, Middletown (QB/RB/DB)
  • Anthony Palazzolo, Fairfield Prep (OL/DL)
  • Tanner Kern, Xavier (OL)
  • Keith Coleman, Hartford Public (OL)
  • Lucas Niang, New Canaan (OL)
DEFENSE
  • Mark Evanchick, Darien (DL)
  • Kevaughn Bennett, Windsor (DL)
  • Zach Allen, New Canaan (DL)
  • Owen Tyler, Northwest Catholic (LB)
  • Isaiah Tompkins, Middletown (LB)
  • Ben Mason, Newtown (LB)
  • Tyler Bailey, Ansonia (DB)
  • Lars Pedersen, St. Joseph (DB)
  • Tyler Coyle, Windsor (WR/DB)
  • Matt Maxwell, Southington (WR/DB)
  • Jarvis Miller, Windsor Locks/Suffield/East Granby (RB/DB)
  • Wadson Petithomme, Shelton (DB)
  • Chris Jean-Pierre, Valley Regional/Old Lyme (QB/DB)

Making that statement about how Southington would lose to all of those teams shows you are a homer for SCC and FCIAC. Rose and Southington pounded everyone they faced in the states. Nothing more they could do.

They might not be the best team, but they are number one in CT this year.

Reaction Score
Register, courant, Walter camp foundation all had them as the top team... I'm not sure many are debating it other than huskyRob.

Reaction Score
I don't know why this is a discussion right now. Southington was the obvious #1 this year. CCC was not the best conference as a whole, but it did have the best team. Historically the FCIAC is the best conference in Connecticut, the SCC has been on the same tier over the last 10-15 years, the NVL has fallen from grace over the last 10 years, the SWC has its ups and downs, and the ECC hasn't been good in years, and the pequot and CSC are fairly irrelevant.

Reaction Score
An offer should be in his stocking, but hopefully extended well before then!
Beware of CT high school players. One of Paul P's many mistakes was to load up on them - he had 30 or 35 by the time he left. CT high school football doesn't have that many prospects, and the really good ones go elsewhere. Remember, Boyle won multiple state championships at Xavier and he has yet to prove that he can play at this level.

Reaction Score
Beware of CT high school players. One of Paul P's many mistakes was to load up on them - he had 30 or 35 by the time he left. CT high school football doesn't have that many prospects, and the really good ones go elsewhere. Remember, Boyle won multiple state championships at Xavier and he has yet to prove that he can play at this level.
I think that is a huge over exaggeration. Noel Thomas made an impact this year. Stewart was a starter and played solid defense. Byron Jones was a captain and a good CB. McQuillan is alright. Boyle hasn't panned out quite yet in his limited playing time, but to say PP loaded up on CT athletes is incorrect.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I think that is a huge over exaggeration. Noel Thomas made an impact this year. Stewart was a starter and played solid defense. Byron Jones was a captain and a good CB. McQuillan is alright. Boyle hasn't panned out quite yet in his limited playing time, but to say PP loaded up on CT athletes is incorrect.
Boyle has not panned out quite yet?? Maybe next year but that Kid you saw throw the 50 yard bullet in the ct HS FB championship did that against CT HS kids - your prediction that he would be a player so far has not panned out and in all honesty he has shown a low level FB iq in his ability to read defenses, look off receivers and go through progressions.

The statement that he loaded up on CT athletes is correct vs the prior regime (Edsell) is absolutely correct. One regime went to bowl games on a fairly regular basis without them and one couldn't get to .500 with them.

Thomas is a talented player - Jones as well. Stewart is up and down.

You should know that 2 star recruits from Florida are ahead of 2 star recruits from Ct - have played at a higher level, against better competition and have a higher FB iq from much better coaching. It's one thing to take CT kids when you have time to develop them but when you need someone ready to play at a 2 star level you have better success from players from FB states than ct, mostly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom